HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 27: Interlude Party - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 27 episodes!!
Ant
post Oct 12 2009, 05:44 AM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 35,470

Gotta agree with most of the comments here. Mostly a trash episode, which is extra disappointing as I've been pleased with every episode so far, and I assumed that it was going to stick very close to the manga (without filler/recap) throughout.

I think what's valuable from that episode, from a quasi-philosophical perspective, is the idea of being an immortal (or, in any event, VERY long lived) in a mortal world. Hohenheim is, at least according to the dream, cynical of the worth of mortals, but he finds (and is finding) the resolve to fight for them, because of his kids, Tricia, and Pinako. In essence, those connections make him human again, at least in spirit. Of course, the episode being 80% recap flashbacks didn't exactly do a lot for advancing this (or a similar) idea.

QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Oct 11 2009, 09:04 PM) *
But hey, was this the last episode of the season??? Is that why it was a clip show???

Or will there be a new episode next week???

Good Question. Anyone aware of what the season structure for this anime is/is going to be?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shiroe
post Oct 12 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #47

Citizen

Member No.: 71,291

Well, haven't actually watched the ep yet, but I don't like the idea of a recap ep either.

Btw, ppl have been talking about Pinako and how she shrank so much. I think the author was trying to send us a message: Don't smoke or drink at a young age, or you will become like Pinako in her old age. wink.gif

Really, this is young Pinako (drinking with Hohenheim, and smoking too)

this is old Pinako (I wonder how many years have passed)

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Oct 12 2009, 08:47 AM
Post #48

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

^ roughly the current year is 1914 i think (or maybe 1915 if a new year has passed in the story) so doin' a bit of basic maths thats...48/49 years?

--------------------

+Quote Post
shiroe
post Oct 12 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #49

Citizen

Member No.: 71,291

Oh yeah, so almost 50 years have passed then, makes sense that she has changed so much! biggrin.gif (compared to Hohenheim)

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Oct 12 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #50

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Finally watched the episode, I didn't know I tuned in to Dallas...oh wait no thats another "it was all a dream".

Not going to rant because all has been said already, I did like seeing young Pinako though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Oct 12 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #51

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

QUOTE (Ant @ Oct 12 2009, 05:44 AM) *
I think what's valuable from that episode, from a quasi-philosophical perspective, is the idea of being an immortal (or, in any event, VERY long lived) in a mortal world. Hohenheim is, at least according to the dream, cynical of the worth of mortals, but he finds (and is finding) the resolve to fight for them, because of his kids, Tricia, and Pinako. In essence, those connections make him human again, at least in spirit. Of course, the episode being 80% recap flashbacks didn't exactly do a lot for advancing this (or a similar) idea.

Exaclty. A pure filler evolving this idea further would have been very nice, though. This recap was just bad, even for a recap. The events didn't even seem to connect that much to each other at several points, making it feel rather r*ndom. The only part of the actual recapping that I felt fitting was the beginning, where people were talking about war, and you really got an impression of what state Amestris really is in: a nation ravaged by conflicts, hate, revenge and blood-spilling.

But even the parts where Hohenheim is conversing with himself about whether to give humanity a chance or not, before giving up, feels a little out of character. I always imagined manga-Hoho to bee strictly determined to stop Father from the very beginning, and not losing faith along the way. I feel he still has his heart in the manga, and although odd and quirky, he still has his human values intact.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
ChaosRogue
post Oct 12 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #52

Citizen

Member No.: 69,893

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Oct 13 2009, 05:37 AM) *
QUOTE (Ant @ Oct 12 2009, 05:44 AM) *

Exaclty. A pure filler evolving this idea further would have been very nice, though. This recap was just bad, even for a recap. The events didn't even seem to connect that much to each other at several points, making it feel rather r*ndom. The only part of the actual recapping that I felt fitting was the beginning, where people were talking about war, and you really got an impression of what state Amestris really is in: a nation ravaged by conflicts, hate, revenge and blood-spilling.

But even the parts where Hohenheim is conversing with himself about whether to give humanity a chance or not, before giving up, feels a little out of character. I always imagined manga-Hoho to bee strictly determined to stop Father from the very beginning, and not losing faith along the way. I feel he still has his heart in the manga, and although odd and quirky, he still has his human values intact.

I think you're giving Van Hoenheim too much credit here. This is a man who describes himself to other people as a "monster", and can't bear the thought of touching his children through fear of spreading his "taint" to them. He is the sole survivor of a whole city/country being destroyed by the thing he thought to be his mentor and friend, with most of his friends and acquaintances now trapped forever inside him. Of course he's going to have doubts, be afraid to go up against the original Homunculus, be jaded about humanity after seeing several lifetimes of senseless war. It requires him to remember what he's fighting for, which is where his memories of Trisha (who he just found out he's lost) and others come in.

As for the episode itself, I don't think it was that bad. Just that people's first reactions to fillers tend to be mad.gif and their first reactions to clip shows are mad.gif so when you've got a filler that's a clip show you've got people going mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif It gives people who don't obsessively catch every episode or try to catch up on the internet a chance to see what's come before, and it's fun to see some of the best moments so far in one episode. Yes, I would've preferred to either advance with the plot or see something really interesting as filler, but it's better than a clip show had to be.

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Oct 12 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #53

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

For a filler episode, I thought it was pretty good as it was a great recap of what's gone on in the series so far.

Other than that, the episode served it's purpose so there's no need to nitpick at it.

Loved the OP and I hated the ED, but it's only because I didn't really care for the ED song - the OP song and visuals were awesome though, despite being spoilerific.

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Oct 12 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #54

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

I can't decry this episode too much. Sure, a recap episode is pretty worthless, but it was well-organized, and helped put together many of the pieces of the story for those who might have had difficulty keeping up. Not to mention I enjoyed how they handled Hohenheim's dream, talking to Pinako, but really it ending up being himself, since it seems to be the part of him that wants people not to give up, and the assurance of Trisha in his mind.

I couldn't help chuckling at the Evangelion episode 26-like scene, but it was sort of nice to see Hohenheim having human doubts and trying to resolve them in his head.

An unnecessary episode, but as recap episodes go, not the worst.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Radadinator
post Oct 12 2009, 08:23 PM
Post #55

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,706

Watched the episode all the way through with subs.
I have to say, for a recap filler, I'm impressed. They got all of the major themes of FMA down, from the Ishval devastation to how humans are different from homunculi, all leading to the final conclusion that humans by nature might be weak, but they got sum good legs so they'll move on.

So yeah, not a good episode compared to the recent ones, but not a bad recap at all. (Considering the entire thing is just Hohenheim passed out cold from booze. XD)

Music at the very beginning is nice. Aargh, I want the soundtrack more and more with each episode. That military music during the homunculus montage is killer.

Anybody else reminded of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?
And apparently creepy and bizarre dreams are hereditary for the Elrics.

+Quote Post
Imbris
post Oct 13 2009, 02:04 AM
Post #56

Citizen

Member No.: 63,564

Quite a dull episode, but if I pretend there was no episode this week, and this was just a bonus...I can get by.

+Quote Post
Mindy
post Oct 13 2009, 06:00 AM
Post #57

Citizen

Member No.: 70,986

It was a short break before we *really* get into the heavy stuff now.

I am so excited to see Briggs very soon, woo!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Oct 13 2009, 06:30 AM
Post #58

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

QUOTE (ChaosRogue @ Oct 12 2009, 02:55 PM) *
I think you're giving Van Hoenheim too much credit here. This is a man who describes himself to other people as a "monster", and can't bear the thought of touching his children through fear of spreading his "taint" to them. He is the sole survivor of a whole city/country being destroyed by the thing he thought to be his mentor and friend, with most of his friends and acquaintances now trapped forever inside him. Of course he's going to have doubts, be afraid to go up against the original Homunculus, be jaded about humanity after seeing several lifetimes of senseless war. It requires him to remember what he's fighting for, which is where his memories of Trisha (who he just found out he's lost) and others come in.

Maaaybe you're right... xP This thing about being jaded about humanity, yeah, I'll buy that to a certain degree. It's actually one of the themes in a book I'm reading right now, where people can store their minds in stacks, which you can later insert into a new body when your old one's "best before"- date has exceeded. Some of the the few really rich people who can afford to do this several times have lievd through whole centuries, and thus they are referred to as Meths - people who have a completely different, and very distant, perspective on things.

But anyway, my point is that I feel Hohenheim was portrayed in this episode as more than just a little jaded - it felt as if he were almost anti-humanity. Cold, cynical, uncaring, demeaning... It felt as if he were a man who doesn't care more about human life than he cares for the ants under his feet. Which is kinda similiar to something Father said once, if I recall correctly.

Then again, it was all just a dream, and once he woke up he seemed a lot more cheerful, and more human. So... yeah, we all have strange dreams from time to time. Perhaps he is a lot less "Meth" in real life. Maybe the dream conveyed his doubts in a different light, having them grow in proportions. Maybe it's the Pinako-part of him that's the dominant part, in reality, while in his dream everything was distorted and his doubts expanded and took on the dominant role.

Maybe he fears that he one day will become like Father, and that is what his dream reflected.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Oct 13 2009, 06:52 AM
Post #59

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,019

Not got a lot to say this week but I'll dive in:

- Okay as recap episodes go, this was very good. Admittedly that's not saying much, if anything, but the episode was well put together and served its purpose well. The wrap-around for it was also good, and helped make up for the fact Hohenheim has had some of his scenes cut. It also foreshadowed alot, which I did not expect at all.

- When 'Let It Out' started playing I got chills, as montages in a clip show go, that was a pretty awesome one.

- I guess this episode was supposed to be saying 'oh Hohenheim has decided to fight now' which confuses me as to what he'd been doing up this point...

- I'm a bit confused why this episode exists, it stinks of a contractual thing with the animators tbh. The animators demanded a clip show if they were gonna do so many episodes or something (bare in mind, this series is going to the end of the story and Manga isn't even there yet) I wont decree it as filler tho, mostly because I'm being generous btu also because at least showing Hohenheim doing something is... something.

- Next week we're back into the thick of things with the debut appearance of Father. Bit curious how the order events are going tho... from the preview looks like they may be shuffled around a bit... not sure

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post Oct 13 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #60

Alchemists

Member No.: 17,591

Woah, Pinako was beautiful when she was younger. Wonder if Winry will suffer the same fate as Pinako several years down the road.

Trisha was actually prettier in her younger years before she started looking like......well, a mom.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 12:37 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css