HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA: Brotherhood English Dub & VA Cast Discussions, List of English VA casts on the first post
S.F. Thunder
post Feb 13 2010, 09:18 AM
Post #256

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 71,177

I actually prefer dub over sub. I love the Japanese voice actors, especially Romi Paku, but there's something about hearing everything in my own language that makes watching anime so much better for me. I raised my love for FMA on the dub, too, so that might be why I like it better- it was the first version I became familiar with.

So, I am very excited about the English dub. Taking all things into consideration, I do think that the actors are all good- even Vic. I mean, yes, Funi should have used a kid or a chick to play young Ed, but since there was no other option for Vic I think he did a good job in that role for Anime1. Remembering that English is a lot different than Japanese and that the different cultures portray different things, well, differently I must say I'm very impressed with what the dub of anime1 accomplished.

Either way, I look forward to staying up late tonight. <3

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Feb 13 2010, 09:31 AM
Post #257

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

I agree with @SF Thunder about hearing the show in my own native language. This will be my first anime that I will have actually watched the subs and the dubs. I usually just see the dubs unless there isn't one. So, I will actually get to decide which I like better. It's fun!

Also, I've seen how dubbing has improved over the years which is why I don't hate it now. Some of the earliest English dubs of anime, like Speed Racer, were so bad you can understand why I think highly of the currently dubbed shows.

I have a question though. They are only airing one episode tonight and repeating it later in the morning correct?

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Feb 13 2010, 10:04 AM
Post #258

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

^I agree with you both! : ) It was the dub of the first anime that got me into FMA in the first place. I've never felt the need to watch it in subs, and nor will I ever. I enjoy the dub too much.

And yes, Animeoldtimer, that's correct! : D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Feb 13 2010, 11:36 AM
Post #259

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

Finally, it starts tonight! And in celebration, I'm wearing my FMA shirt. lol

Still, I'm a little nervous in hearing Al's new voice actress. But I'm pretty sure she'll sound fine.

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
Hyperthia
post Feb 13 2010, 11:41 AM
Post #260

Apprentice

Member No.: 68,952

Same with me. It was the English dub of the first anime that got me into FMA (it was episode 7 too, so I had to know what the heck I had just watched! XD).
I actually have never liked anime before; I just thought it was so weird, and I'd always think of poorly-dubbed animes like Speed Racer, which made it seem more undesirable for me.
FMA caught my attention though. I don't think anything can compare to it! I think what got me is that it is so different from other animes; I have never seen anything like it before.
It was thanks to the English dub, that I read the manga and got into the fandom.
So yeah. Thank you, dubs! :E

This is also my first time keeping up with the subs and the dubs, which means I get to be a critic ohmy.gif
Just kidding, but how excitin'!?
I didn't watch many of the subs from the first anime, except for a few of my favorite episodes (me just wanting to see the difference between the actors, etc...).
For Brotherhood, I prefer watching the RAW before I watch the subs. Sometimes, I don't even have to watch the subs to understand what the characters are saying/doing, which is weird because I don't know any Japanese.
Hah! Reminds me of (I think it was the episode from 2 weeks ago), when the characters came across some dynamite. I was already thinking in my head, "Dynamito!" and then they actually said that exact word! I tripped out for a good thirty seconds. Maybe I subconsciously knew (like I've heard the word before, and I just don't remember) XD

Okay, now I'm rambling. Shutting up.

--------------------
Siggy made by hilary::Avatar by me: link (do not use)
My FanFiction and DeviantArt accounts. :)

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Feb 13 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #261

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

Never cared for the dub of the first series, though I have to admit it is pretty decent compared to a lot of things out there.

Now though, I'm actually looking forward to seeing it dubbed, for some reason. I guess it'll be fun hearing Maxey Whitehead as Al, I never was as fond of Aaron as everyone else seems to be. Also, hearing Vic again, and see (err, hear) if he has improved, will be nice. Romi Park IS Fullmetal Alchemist for me, but Vic... I don't know, his voice has a certain charm to it as well. It's raspy and whispery, and more than on occasion a little cheesy, but despite that, and of how much I preferred the original actors of the old series, his voice grew on me. I think I've said this before, but when reading the manga I actually visualised (err, audioalised? XD) Vic's voice in my head when Ed was speaking sometimes. When not imagining Romi's, of course tongue.gif

And it'll be interesting to see if the english dub will work well with this (early on at least) fast-paced series, without everything feeling even more rushed.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Feb 13 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #262

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

As good as the original Japanese cast is, the first series is one where I would actually rather listen to it in English. It's a series inspired by early 20th century Europe, so I think having it in English just seems to make a little more sense. Plus I never really liked it when women voiced teenage male characters, with the exception of Alphonse (and he's only 14).

I thought J Michael Tatum was fine in the Premium OVA Collection, and I thought Maxey Whitehead did a good job as Antonio in Romeo x Juliet, so I'm sure she'll do a fine job here.

Can't wait until midnight!

+Quote Post
FullMetalFist
post Feb 13 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #263

Citizen

Member No.: 50,694

I know its going to be amazing. I am having a party and no one is coming lol. A few people I guess there are not enough anime fans in my area. O well. I am really excited, ya I think Whitehead will do a good job. I think the Dub will be just as good or better than the original series. As one of you were saying earlier to see if Vic improved, I am sure he will be awesome. Although I am one of the people that loved the Dubbed original series.

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Feb 13 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #264

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

The guy who does Issac's voice sounds a bit like Peter Cullen.

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Feb 13 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #265

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,581

I wonder what Scar's new voice will be like

I'm right, aren't I? Or am I going crazy..I heard someone say that they cast a new person for him so..can someone rectify this?

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

[credit goes to Aquarina :D]

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Feb 13 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #266

Apprentice

Okay, first imrpessions-

Feh, they edited down the opening. Fine as long as they don't touch the episode itself.

Maxey Whitehead was a little inconsistent. Sometimes she sounded great, just like Aaron, sometimes she sounded a tad too young, even for Al. Maybe I just need some getting used to it.

Not a fan of Brian Masey as Isaac, but he's only in this episode so no biggie.

Vic was vic, I thought he pretty much picked up where he left off with Ed.

Some of the others, it seemed to take much of the episode to get into the skin of the characters- Armstrong and Hughes didn't quite sound like Armstrong and Hughes as I knew them until midway through the episode.

The other one that stuck out to me was Eric Vale as Kimblee- still got a bit of the vibe of Kimblee the psycho bomber from the first series; I wonder how he's going to approach the more cerebral and refined Kimblee of Brotherhood later on.

I actually thought it was a pretty good dub over all, just seemed that the actors to take some time to shake off rust, so to speak.

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Feb 13 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #267

Alchemists

Ok.

I was grinning like an idiot while I watched it. It was so awesome to hear Armstrong, Roy, Bradley and Ed again with their respective voice actors.

Hughes, nuff said wink.gif

To be perfectly honest, I was impressed. I think they went above and beyond in terms of performance. More dramatic, but in the best of ways.

But the thing that made me cringe was Alphonse....Maxey Whitehead...

I TRIED to think of it more as Ed's brother and not as Aaron but..I don't know..she made Al sound more innocent than what Aaron delivered in the first anime. Aaron gave an innocent but seemingly determined tone of voice. Maxey's voice kind of made it a little awkward for me, and I'm aware of the fact that she's female so the voice would be different (obviously) but I just didn't detect the presence that Aaron brought in the first anime. Could it just simply be the fact she's female and has a different tone? I mean there WERE parts where I thought it was Aaron (I know that his voice changed, mind you lol)..maybe a question of tone in general and nothing related to gender tones? (sorry if i'm losing anybody but i'm trying to break it down in the best way possible(

Maybe after a few more episodes, maybe my opinion will change.

@hawkflame: I think you and I share common ground.

And they cut the intro short! graaaah

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Feb 13 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #268

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

My thoughts:

- Vic's Ed is exactly the way it was before. Take this how you will. I'm guessing that's good for a lot of you. I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't disappointed, either. It was about what I thought it would be.

- The new Alphonse would be great if I could hear her better. They have her turned way down low.

- Travis Willingham's Roy sounds weirdly unlike him. Same with Sonny Strait's Hughes. Did they practice before they recorded them for this episode? I mean, it hasn't been that long since I heard them in the first dub, I was watching it the other day. What happened?

- Chris Sabat's Armstrong is still excellent. It's the role he was born to play.

- Isaac's voice was just awful. I honestly think even I could have done better in that role, and I've never voice acted once. And I hate that they called him "Isaac the Freezer". He's not Barry the Chopper. Stick to Ice/Freezing Alchemist.

- Elicia Hughes' voice was painful to listen to.

- Bradley's voice was the same. Still not great. It lacks that booming quality of the Japanese VA. But if you liked it in the first dub, you'll still like it here.

- I can't really tell much from Riza.

- Kimbley's VA sounds out of practice. There's another that was pretty good in the first dub, but wasn't here.

It sounded a little bit like they recorded this episode once, and that was it.

I still like all the action going on in the episode, even though it was pure fanservice.

I wish they didn't have to speed up the OP and ED and forgo the next episode preview.

This was pretty awful. I may have disliked the first series dub, but this was worse.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Feb 13 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #269

Alchemists

^

Someone's a bit of a Negative Nancy =P

I don't know about you man, but I thought the actors/actresses delivered. I felt Travis and Chris brought their A-game full court..and I was wondering how they'd pull off the stuff (more intense yelling in brotherhood it seems) this time around, and they did. IMO, at least.

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Feb 13 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #270

Apprentice

QUOTE (Disasterpiece @ Feb 14 2010, 12:42 AM) *
I TRIED to think of it more as Ed's brother and not as Aaron but..I don't know..she made Al sound more innocent than what Aaron delivered in the first anime. Aaron gave an innocent but seemingly determined tone of voice. Maxey's voice kind of made it a little awkward for me, and I'm aware of the fact that she's female so the voice would be different (obviously) but I just didn't detect the presence that Aaron brought in the first anime. Could it just simply be the fact she's female and has a different tone? I mean there WERE parts where I thought it was Aaron (I know that his voice changed, mind you lol)..maybe a question of tone in general and nothing related to gender tones? (sorry if i'm losing anybody but i'm trying to break it down in the best way possible(

Maybe it's just me, but I thought she sounded perfectly like Al in the middle of the episode, but a bit too young and innocent at the beginning and end. She needs to remember Al's 14, not 8.

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 01:37 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css