Death Of Yosito Usui Confirmed, Mangaka of Crayon Shin-chan
AA battery
post Sep 20 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #1

Brigadier General

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,450

Body found on Mount Arafune may be missing cartoonist Usui

MAEBASHI, Gunma Pref. (Kyodo) A body thought to be that of missing cartoonist Yosito Usui, the creator of "Crayon Shinchan," was found on a mountain straddling Gunma and Nagano prefectures Saturday morning, police said.

The body, which was found by a climber at the base of a steep cliff on Mount Arafune, will be recovered Sunday to determine if it is that of the 51-year-old cartoonist, who went missing Sept. 11, the police said.

Usui told his family he was going hiking on Mount Arafune that morning and would return to his home in Kasukabe, Saitama Prefecture, by evening, the police said. His family reported him missing the next day.

The Saitama, Gunma and Nagano prefectural police forces have been conducting a joint search for him ever since.

Usui started drawing "Crayon Shinchan," the story of feisty kindergartner Shinnosuke Nohara and his family in Kasukabe, in a comic book published by Futabasha Publishers Ltd. in 1990. The popular cartoon series was adapted for both television and film.

The city of Kasukabe issued a special residence card to the Nohara family to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the municipality, and has also been using Shinchan as a mascot for its child-rearing campaign since April.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090920a9.html

I already read the news about his hiking accident a few days ago, but that doesn't make his confirmed death less depressing... I have Crayon Shin-chan Vol 1-48 at home, and it's a manga series that I have been collecting since age 8... My mom thinks it's a "bad" manga because of some of its sexual themes, but my brother and I still eventually collected nearly the whole set. It's depressing to learn that Shin-chan's stories will end like this...

Who else read this series?

--------------------
*June 11, 2013 - New Doujinshis Added*
Hi, I got a bunch of FMA merchandises (keychains, pencil boards, cards, figurines, book in figure red...etc) for sale at my LJ. Please visit my sale post here if interested! Thanks ^_^
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Sep 20 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #2

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Oh, no, sad to hear the news! ohmy.gif
I occasionally read the raw version of manga, Crayon Shin-chan. It had its own unique sense of humor. I agree, this is quite unfortunate, and it's sad to see the manga ending this way.
RIP Yoshito Usui. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Sep 20 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #3

Master Alchemist

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,420

Pixiv has been flooded with depressing Shin-chan condolence fanart. It's amazing how quickly and how many people acted.

I'll be making sure to check out his series.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 09:12 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css