HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 22: Backs In The Distance - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 22 episodes!!
Rating 5 V
szarancza
post Sep 13 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #61

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,332

QUOTE (Trakonda @ Sep 13 2009, 03:31 PM) *
I have to agree with one thing though: The scene when Ed jumped in front of Winry and Al scolded him for it. It really felt like Al was just being heartless and was more interested in catching Scar than ensuring Winry's safety. That.. didn't turn out as expected, really. It made Al look like jerk.
BUT, that's my only complaint. biggrin.gif And I dunno how else they could have done this scene, anyway.

I never understood why Al did that either (he says something along those lines in the manga as well). Is it because Ed jumped in front of Winry instead of baiting Scar away from her - and allowing her to escape safely? That's the only explanation I can come up with because I know Al is very protective over Winry too. Still, weird... o.O
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Sep 14 2009, 02:31 AM
Post #62

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

I think that Al just wasn't as afraid as Ed to see Winry shoot someone... Ed knows first hand that she is made to bring life, after all. I think that Al was most likely afraid of the gun because it made her an enemy to Scar and it is a dangerous tool when not used to it. He knows Scar, he must have thought that the probabilities she hit him were slim and didn't want here to become a target for nothing. Ed was afraid of the very possibility she could hurt Scar and become a killer.

I would say that it's the same difference between a character that can't bear himself to see people die (in this case, Ed) and a character who doesn't want to kill but still accept that some people must die and won't begrudge someone for doing it (in this case, Alphonse). It should be noted that for the whole manga, Ed and Al enter in the second category. Al wasn't horrified to see Heinkel kill Kimblee, for example, and Ed somehow agreed to the fact that Miles and his men were about to kill Kimblee and his men.

+Quote Post
szarancza
post Sep 14 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #63

Citizen

QUOTE (Sannom @ Sep 14 2009, 03:31 AM) *
I think that Al just wasn't as afraid as Ed to see Winry shoot someone... Ed knows first hand that she is made to bring life, after all. I think that Al was most likely afraid of the gun because it made her an enemy to Scar and it is a dangerous tool when not used to it. He knows Scar, he must have thought that the probabilities she hit him were slim and didn't want here to become a target for nothing. Ed was afraid of the very possibility she could hurt Scar and become a killer.

I would say that it's the same difference between a character that can't bear himself to see people die (in this case, Ed) and a character who doesn't want to kill but still accept that some people must die and won't begrudge someone for doing it (in this case, Alphonse). It should be noted that for the whole manga, Ed and Al enter in the second category. Al wasn't horrified to see (SPOILER), for example, and Ed somehow agreed to the fact (SPOILER).

I never thought that Ed and Al's views on killing were that much different but I guess it would explain Al's words in this chapter/episode. I'll need to reread the Kimbley scene in the manga (you might to put that under a spoiler tag, btw) because it feels like that happened eons ago. Thanks for shedding some light on that line!

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Sep 15 2009, 02:52 AM
Post #64

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

I think the brothers have the same view about killing people, but in Winry's case, their mileage vary : Ed is obviously feeling something different for her, and he is also the one she helped to "live". I think in that whole scene, Alphonse was just concerned about Winry's physical well-being, while Ed was frightened for her "mind" or "soul". I think it showcases how different Ed's feelings toward Winry are.

+Quote Post
szarancza
post Sep 15 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #65

Citizen

QUOTE (Sannom @ Sep 15 2009, 03:52 AM) *
I think in that whole scene, Alphonse was just concerned about Winry's physical well-being, while Ed was frightened for her "mind" or "soul". I think it showcases how different Ed's feelings toward Winry are.

I can see that now! I think you're on to something here.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jul 10 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #66

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 22 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Jul 11 2010, 04:59 AM
Post #67

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

Another strong dubbed episode here- I thought that J Michael Tatum's Scar was outstanding, and I think both Vic Mignogna and Caitlin Glass really showed their stuff there at the end with Winry's breakdown.

And maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to get used to Todd Haberkorn as Ling. Ling was more serious in this episode as compared to earlier, and I think he stepped it up appropriately.

(by the way, it's strange coming here on a sunday morning with no new screenshots from Random Curiosity to look forward to. biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
JackDawkins
post Jul 11 2010, 09:37 AM
Post #68

Citizen

Member No.: 73,219

I just caught the end of the episode (a little over halfway through Scar's flashback) cause I suddenly remembered this was the episode with Winry and Scar and was curious.

I'm someone who doesn't like the English dub very much...at all. But I have to be completely honest with myself - I thought Caitlin did a really good job at the end there. I got completely sucked into the scene and forgot I was supposed to be judging her voice acting as harshly as I could tongue.gif The bubble was disrupted only a little by Vic's lines but I'll admit he did a more than decent job as well. I really enjoyed that last scene and think I could watch it again in English and enjoy it thoroughly. happy.gif

QUOTE (hawkflame @ Jul 11 2010, 04:59 AM) *
(by the way, it's strange coming here on a sunday morning with no new screenshots from Random Curiosity to look forward to. biggrin.gif)

I know what you mean. I was just thinking how weird it is that this is the first Sunday in a long while that I won't have anything new and Brotherhood related to do really.

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Jul 11 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #69

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

QUOTE (hawkflame @ Jul 11 2010, 12:59 PM) *

I'm the same. I woke up today thinking yay two episodes! Er, no. It's just the one. wacko.gif

+Quote Post
EveningAlchemist
post Jul 11 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #70

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,198

QUOTE (hawkflame @ Jul 11 2010, 05:59 AM) *

Totally agree... my Sundays will never be the same anymore! sad01_anim.gif *moment of mourning*

Moving on now to the dub that is going awesomely well! I'm proud of all the actors and how well they are doing. This episode was full of interesting backstory and great emotion - especially with Scar and his brother... I really liked the VA they used for Scar's brother too. Those flashback scenes were so chilling! Winry at the end really made me tear up, so I think her VA did her job right!

--------------------

If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an
array, copy and paste this in your signature.

+Quote Post
Elle-chan
post Jul 11 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #71

Citizen

Member No.: 70,685

It was a good episode. But i think it was not a great as i hoped it to be.

I really don't like Scars voice, or Lins or Mei's voices.

^ in the dubbed=)

--------------------

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Jul 11 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #72

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

I finaly watched the dub just now. And I really liked it. I thought Scars brother was well cast and I think I could listen to Ed Blaylock all day long as Wrath. He gives just enough menace to Wrath and enough calmness to Bradley. It's excellent.
Scar's guy sounded pretty great.

And I still hate Ling's. Sure, it's grown on me, I'm used to it. But that doesn't mean I like it.

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Jul 11 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #73

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Even I, who am not fond of the FMA dub, and have mostly hated Caitlin Glass' Winry, have to admit she did a fine job in this episode. I think what helped it is that she didn't try too hard to imitate the Japanese VA and it came out natural. I thought for sure she would be over the top and wail with that fake-sounding screeching of hers, but instead, she made Winry seem more drained from grief at the end instead of wailing. I was pleased to discover that she may not be a total waste after all.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Elle-chan
post Jul 11 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #74

Citizen

Member No.: 70,685

I wish Aaron still played Al. It sound he does still.

Can't wait to hear him as Young Hohenheim.

Lings Voice is not how i pictured it at all. Same with Selims or Meis.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 13 2013, 02:53 PM
Post #75

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

For those who missed this episode, it will be on again tonight on Adult Swim (U.S.) smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 08:05 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css