HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 22: Backs In The Distance - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 22 episodes!!
Rating 5 V
edxwinryfan
post Sep 6 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #31

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 59,190

I only LOVED this episode because of the EdxWin haha tongue.gif I had to watch that part in the raw first just to see it smile.gif I was screaming with joy when Ed was holding Winry's hand and then she just jumps up and grabs his shoulder (hugs him). I just watched the sub... I CANNOT NOT WAIT FOR THE DUB!!! happy.gif rolleyes.gif Anyway I hope there is a bit more of EdxWinry in the next episode, Ed better be hugging her! (they better include him giving her his jacket and stuff...) Also I hope they don't leave out when Winry admits she loves Ed! happy.gif happy.gif wub.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Sep 6 2009, 05:44 PM
Post #32

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

QUOTE (edxwinryfan @ Sep 6 2009, 07:40 PM) *
I only LOVED this episode because of the EdxWin haha tongue.gif I had to watch that part in the raw first just to see it smile.gif I was screaming with joy when Ed was holding Winry's hand and then she just jumps up and grabs his shoulder (hugs him). I just watched the sub... I CANNOT NOT WAIT FOR THE DUB!!! happy.gif rolleyes.gif Anyway I hope there is a bit more of EdxWinry in the next episode, Ed better be hugging her! (they better include him giving her his jacket and stuff...) Also I hope they don't leave out when Winry admits she loves Ed! happy.gif happy.gif wub.gif

From what I saw in next week's previews, Ed isn't wearing his red coat so I'm going to assume they won't leave that part out. ^_~ And I also hope they don't leave that scene out either! x3 Though I can't see why they would.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Sep 6 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #33

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Some more thorough thoughts on the episode:

As much as I dislike Ling as a character, he sure knows how to cut a good action scene. And I've always liked Fuhrer King Bradley, despite him dispatching my favorite character. I would have even liked it more if they'd stretched out the scene a little. After all, they cut out the previous scene with the Xingese fighting homunculi. But oh well, it was still a pretty good scene.

I still think the whole situation is a bit ridiculous, with Winry immediately reaching for a gun and aiming it at Scar. Like she went from zero to "I'ma avenge mom and dad!" in a matter of moments and had the wherewithal to even reach for the gun. Yes, she snapped, but come on. Not to mention Ed and Al are still having way more difficulty with fighting Scar than they should.

The best part of the episode is actually my biggest issue with it, though. I love the job they did with the Ishbal flashback. Love it. The colors, the expressions, the "camera" work expressing Scar's madness. It's perfect. Amazing. I want it on DVD now.

However, by going so far into Scar's past now, and for so long, this part of the story ends up seeming to be more about Scar than Winry, when this moment should be way more Winry-oriented. Understanding of why Scar did what he did should come later. This is about Winry's initial reaction to coming face to face with her parents' killer. By having that flashback go on for so long, they dragged this out more than it should have been, too.

Now we have less for the Ishbal flashback later. I understand why they did what they did, but I think Arakawa had it slightly better.

I can't say I didn't enjoy the episode, though. It was very good. The strongest element was the voice acting. Everyone performed so well, especially Ed and Winry's VAs. I never really cared much about Winry, but by the end of the episode, I wanted to let her cry on me like Ed.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Mhacy
post Sep 6 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #34

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,452

Just finished watching the SUB.
and it gives me a great SHOCK!xD
I mean this episode really moved me.^^
EdWin scene is just fantastic biggrin.gif
I don't really love their tandem but this episode made it changed a bit.
Poor RanFan. She had a very short screen time. . .
but overall I really love the episode
it was awesome!!

--------------------

Just say...." I DO....."

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Sep 7 2009, 02:22 AM
Post #35

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Sep 7 2009, 04:09 AM) *
I still think the whole situation is a bit ridiculous, with Winry immediately reaching for a gun and aiming it at Scar. Like she went from zero to "I'ma avenge mom and dad!" in a matter of moments and had the wherewithal to even reach for the gun. Yes, she snapped, but come on. Not to mention Ed and Al are still having way more difficulty with fighting Scar than they should.

I'm inclined to agree. Riza shooting a creature that won't die over and over while weeping made sense. She has been trained to use a gun and has before.

Winry on the other hand doesn't know these weapons. She knows what they can do yes but thats a huge step from looking at one to pointing one at soomeone. For the context it was used in I think it was perfect and somehow I accepted it easier in the manga. But while everyone has pounced on Penguintruth I'm afraid I see exactly where they were coming from.

I also still think the Scar flashback, excellent as it was, was misplaced. Pity poor Winry for she in heartbroken...not show why she should forgive him already. Where she actually binds his wounds later on might have been a good point for example. Then the viewer is ready for the kidnapping scene

--------------------

+Quote Post
paperstars
post Sep 7 2009, 02:51 AM
Post #36

Citizen

Member No.: 70,600

QUOTE (edxwinryfan @ Sep 6 2009, 07:40 PM) *
From what I saw in next week's previews, Ed isn't wearing his red coat so I'm going to assume they won't leave that part out. ^_~ And I also hope they don't leave that scene out either! x3 Though I can't see why they would.

They better not!! happy.gif

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Sep 7 2009, 04:09 AM) *
Some more thorough thoughts on the episode:

The best part of the episode is actually my biggest issue with it, though. I love the job they did with the Ishbal flashback. Love it. The colors, the expressions, the "camera" work expressing Scar's madness. It's perfect. Amazing. I want it on DVD now.

However, by going so far into Scar's past now, and for so long, this part of the story ends up seeming to be more about Scar than Winry, when this moment should be way more Winry-oriented. Understanding of why Scar did what he did should come later. This is about Winry's initial reaction to coming face to face with her parents' killer. By having that flashback go on for so long, they dragged this out more than it should have been, too.

Now we have less for the Ishbal flashback later. I understand why they did what they did, but I think Arakawa had it slightly better.

Yeah, it was utterly epic! I agree though, Ishval kinda eclipsed Winry's moment - both of those parts of the story are so emotional to watch, it'd have been better if they'd split them up. I think I must have read the manga while half asleep, because I don't remember really understanding WHY Scar killed the Rockbells, but they really drove it home here. Best done part so far!! Big fan of the blue eyes.

Ling's growing on me, and the fight with King Bradley was amaz. We're getting to such a great part of the story, tres exciting!!!

+Quote Post
QueenTiria
post Sep 7 2009, 03:10 AM
Post #37

Citizen

Member No.: 70,732

First post!!

When I first downloaded the ep and watched it, I skipped to the EdxWin parts and was absolutely horrified at the artwork. Ed looked terrible, and everything looked synthetic. But I rewatched it, and for the first time in my life, I truly understood why Scar killed Winry's parents. I honestly never got why Scar would kill them until I saw from his perspective, and I really am very very grateful for the anime to provide his point of view, as sadly, Arakawa-sensei never did and I kept on thinking Scar was a psycho. Until now, that is.
And of course, I fangirled over this EdxWin moment. For some people, MustangvsLust was the scene they waited for in the new anime. For me, it is this. And although the artwork was crap, I loved Winry's voice actress, she almost moved me to tears (again. this scene is a real tear-jerker, except I couldn't stop smiling and screaming over the sheer EdxWin the first time I watched this)
I fondly remember crying when I first read this in the manga, and Hiromu Arakawa should be hailed as THE best managaka for rendering emotion. Winry's face as she was about to shoot Scar (http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/46/44/), when she was crying (http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/47/15/) was heartbreaking. But then stupid Bones completely screwed it up. As I just accidentally deleted the rest of my message mad.gif...
Anyway, I just love this episode for switching on the metaphorical light bulb above my head. Because in my opinion, the flashback was perfectly placed. When I saw Winry again afterwards, I saw her through Scar's eyes. As a filthy Amestrian with the haunting blue eyes that killed my brother, my family, my race. And I understood his words, that it was Amestrians that first pulled the trigger. And I finally can understand why he did what he did, and realise he isn't a psycho serial-murderer. He's just a mis-understood serial-murderer.
So I can't decide whether to love this episode for Scar-enlightenment and voice acting (Winry's seiyuu rocks- almost reduced me to tears if I wasn't fangasming over EdxWin) or to hate it for the absolutely crap animation and the depiction of the EdxWin scene. I did love the music of the ending overlapping. They should do that more often. Which reminds me: isn't today the day that the full version of Miho Fukuhara's LET IT OUT comes out? Oops, off-topic. But yes. I love/hate this episode. Which I thought wasn't possible until now, really happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Sep 7 2009, 05:01 AM
Post #38

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

Whoever directed this episode was good. The one thing I can complain about is a specific part where Winry was starting to get mad (before she took the gun). Got to kill the person who drew her face there, as well as whoever let it happen.

It's definitely getting better. At least from espisode 18 on, if not from the 15th.

And I also got to understand much better the murder of the Rockbell couple. I'll copy here what I've already written about it at a blog.
Now that I’ve seen this version of Scar’s story (as opposed to the manga, I’m leaving the first anime out), I think that when he saw his brother’s arm attached to him, he kind of freaked out as would a newly made quimera. Maybe he saw the Rockbells as some mad scientists researching on him.

What I don't understad is the conversation going on in the clinic when Scar woke up. Were the Rockbells about to leave Ishval? That would be new (as it is this episode's focus on that part of the story, which I found to be stimulating).

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Sep 7 2009, 05:04 AM
Post #39

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

Again I kind of enjoyed this episode and got into it. But again I expect to be angry when I read the manga and see what details and such they cut out. From the sounds of things, the Ishbal flashback reshuffling is probably going to piss me off.

And I also agree that the art is way too spotty in places and the cinematography always seems questionable. Especially as allykatty1 pointed out. I had similar feelings about a lot of my favourite scenes (Roy versus Lust for example, I think had similar problems) I'm not asking for a panel-by-panel retelling, but there are some shots they really should replicate.

And nitpick - Winry's crying at the end sounded really off to me. I thought Ed and Al's voices were fantastic, as usual.
For the sake of a positive note on that, I remember early on in Brotherhood, I looked up the voice actresses a bit. And afterwards I kept hearing the girl in Al's voice and other such distractions. But more recently I don't find myself watching it and thinking "Oh, that was a good performance by such-and-such", because it's just Ed and Al. It's convincing enough that I forget that there's actors behind it at all, liek.
I dunno. Maybe it's just me.

EDIT:
Already angry at the missing Hohenheim scene and the badass segue to Ling and Wrath at the end.
EDIT2:
And Ling's cheek cut was cut! And Ed saving some lady and Al apologising to the soldiers! Argh!

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
allykatty1
post Sep 7 2009, 05:14 AM
Post #40

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,571

QUOTE (QueenTiria @ Sep 7 2009, 03:10 AM) *
First post!!

When I first downloaded the ep and watched it, I skipped to the EdxWin parts and was absolutely horrified at the artwork. Ed looked terrible, and everything looked synthetic. But I rewatched it, and for the first time in my life, I truly understood why Scar killed Winry's parents. I honestly never got why Scar would kill them until I saw from his perspective, and I really am very very grateful for the anime to provide his point of view, as sadly, Arakawa-sensei never did and I kept on thinking Scar was a psycho. Until now, that is.
And of course, I fangirled over this EdxWin moment. For some people, MustangvsLust was the scene they waited for in the new anime. For me, it is this. And although the artwork was crap, I loved Winry's voice actress, she almost moved me to tears (again. this scene is a real tear-jerker, except I couldn't stop smiling and screaming over the sheer EdxWin the first time I watched this)
I fondly remember crying when I first read this in the manga, and Hiromu Arakawa should be hailed as THE best managaka for rendering emotion. Winry's face as she was about to shoot Scar (http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/46/44/), when she was crying (http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/47/15/) was heartbreaking. But then stupid Bones completely screwed it up. As I just accidentally deleted the rest of my message mad.gif...
Anyway, I just love this episode for switching on the metaphorical light bulb above my head. Because in my opinion, the flashback was perfectly placed. When I saw Winry again afterwards, I saw her through Scar's eyes. As a filthy Amestrian with the haunting blue eyes that killed my brother, my family, my race. And I understood his words, that it was Amestrians that first pulled the trigger. And I finally can understand why he did what he did, and realise he isn't a psycho serial-murderer. He's just a mis-understood serial-murderer.
So I can't decide whether to love this episode for Scar-enlightenment and voice acting (Winry's seiyuu rocks- almost reduced me to tears if I wasn't fangasming over EdxWin) or to hate it for the absolutely crap animation and the depiction of the EdxWin scene. I did love the music of the ending overlapping. They should do that more often. Which reminds me: isn't today the day that the full version of Miho Fukuhara's LET IT OUT comes out? Oops, off-topic. But yes. I love/hate this episode. Which I thought wasn't possible until now, really happy.gif

Ditto on the hail to Arakawa's depiction of emotion! biggrin.gif That is the one place where this new anime is frequently failing for me - the artwork just isn't always living up to what it SHOULD be, based on the art in the manga. *sigh* But like you, I can't help but still fundamentally love it for the story (still Arakawa's FMA, after all) and the voice acting, which is always excellent.

I just watched the ep again, in HD with subtitles this time, and have calmed a bit from my initial disappointment, but maintain that the lacking art really impacted the EdWin scene for me... BECAUSE I love it so much is why I was so disappointed. It was also my Big Scene I was waiting to see animated; why couldn't it have gotten the same treatment Mustang/Lust did?!?! It certainly was just as, if not more, important. It is one of the top few defining moments in the entire manga (and my #1 personal favorite, out of the existing chapters). But I still do love the episode in the end, no matter what, because it is what it is (even if they could have executed it better).

I also LOVE the execution of the Ishbal sequence. I had already understood why Scar killed the Rockbells just fine, but the way the ep played it out really did drive it home. However, I still question its' placement right in the middle of the gun scene. I would rather things stayed focused on Winry for now and later we find out why Scar is the way he is. I wouldn't change anything about the awesome Ishbal bit except that I would have moved it to somewhere else in a later episode... or heck, even at the very beginning of this episode might have been fine. I just didn't like it interrupting the gun scene so jarringly. o_O

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Sep 7 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #41

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

Wow! Brotherhood has had two amazing episodes in a row!

I actually liked that they showed more of the Ishbal flashback in this episode. I think it really added to the affect. The voice acting was amazing, and they didn't cut anything...it was just a really awesome episode!!!

I really liked the blue eye thing, and how they showed Scar losing it. That was awesome.

And EdWin!!!! I was going crazy over the adorable EdWin! I love this chapter/episode!!!

So yeah. This episode PWNed XDDDD

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Nzm
post Sep 7 2009, 08:59 AM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 70,107

WOW, this episode was AWESOME! And if anyone still thinks that Brotherhood is less emotional... well... no comment. The Scar memories was so great example of extreme actions of people in extreme situations. The blue-eyed soldiers looked very World War II, you know, the whole idea of 'Aryan beauty'. Winry's behaviour was very heart-moving. And hooray for some EdXWin. Wow, I'm still amazed. Probably the best episode if we talk about emotion (some of them ad better action or storyline, but none was so emotional). I hope that we'll have a few darker EPs now (I like the humour, but this anime needs some more darkness).

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Sep 7 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #43

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

Well! This episode is now my second fave (next to 19)! I LOVED IT!!

I actually didn't pay attention to the artwork. Maybe that was a good thing, from what I was reading...

The Ling/Wrath fight was great! They kept in some stuff I thought they would cut. Like Ling cutting off the top of Gluttony's head, and the "light bomb" scene. Yes, I know they stopped showing the rest of the fight to show the Scar scene's, but from the preview, looks like we'll get the rest next episode.

I love Winry's VA. Her screaming "Why did you kill them?!" (other something like that), hit my heart and made me teary eyed.
What I didn't like (and it's the only thing too), was that they cut away from a pivitol scene to do the flachback. It seemed REALLY out of place.

But, as out of place as it was, it was an awesome scene! I loved how they had the blue eyes glowing and they had alchemy colored too. The scene was well done, especially Scar's VA and the "camera" shots when he went "mad".

The scene where Ed leaps in front of Winry was good. Not as powerful as in the manga, but I think I know why. In the manga, the "camera" shot is from above, by Scar's shoulder, but in the anime, it's by Scar's feet. We get a better look at the look on Ed's face from above, for some reason. I kinda wish Bones left it that way.

Winry's crying in Ed's arms had me crying! Winry's VA rocks!

The emotions were so high in this episode. First, you feel bad for Winry, and hate Scar. Then, during and after the flashback, you feel bad for Scar. Then he tries to attack Winry, so you hate him again. And when Winry cries in Ed's arms, you feel bad for her more. lol

Can't wait for next week!

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Sep 7 2009, 10:35 AM
Post #44

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

WOW...What a well made episode! I LOVED IT! The entire flashback was just AMAZING!!!

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
Blue_Haven
post Sep 7 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #45

Apprentice

Member No.: 29,569

Man, I wish they would go after all the other episodes with the same gusto they used for ep. 19. I think one of the main reasons that scene was so well done was that Arakawa herself had voiced that she was anticipating seeing the Roy vs. Lust scene animated. Of course they wanted it to live up to her expectations.
This series would be absolutely phenomenal if they just followed the manga a bit more closely and maybe bumped up the production values a bit. (Though I do realize it's not as simple as that, time and money are of course a huge factor in the animation business.) You'd just think that if they were going to go through all the trouble of making a whole new series they would take their time and do it right ya know?

Overall, this was a pretty nice episode! The artwork wasn't as bad as past episodes and it was paced rather well. I think it would have had a bit more impact if they had kept the onlookers and the MP's in the scene though. One of the good points was Scar's flashback. Though a bit misplaced, it was handled really well. I especially loved the blue-eyed Amestrians. But the scene when Ed jumps in front of Winry...kinda lame. I was expecting them to handle that way better being the defining scene in the chapter and all. It could of been really intense but ended up being all awkward and anti-climatic. Kinda disappointing.sad.gif
And the gun...that was just kinda chillin'...in the middle of nowhere...in the perfect spot for Winry to pick it up...annoyed me. :/ In the manga Arakawa has a passed-out MP laying next to the gun that makes it more obvious as to where the gun came from. It just made it seem less out-of-place to me. Eh, but overall they did a pretty good job. (The part where Winry starts crying into Ed's chest was so sweet.) :')

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2016 - 08:22 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css