HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 22: Backs In The Distance - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 22 episodes!!
Rating 5 V
Tombow
post Sep 5 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #1

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 5. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 22 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 22 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode

* HD Screen caps of this episode to be posted on this link address sometime later

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, with episode title from official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 22: "Backs in the Distance"
TBF.... (currently I'm having problem opening up pages on the official JP site.. I'll fill in this one later. ^^)

=======================================

Episode Summary: (To be filled)

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes, to be filled)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Sep 6 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 60,921

My initial thoughts:

- As much as I dislike Ling as a character, he does cut a good action scene.
- The art seems a little awkward at times
- "Hey, let's stop fighting to near death for a moment to have an exposition-filled conversation that conveniently reveals something at just the right time."
- I never liked this Winry scene, because I always felt that, parents' death or not, Winry is too mature to raise a gun at Scar out of vengeance.
- Wow, this sure is a long, long flashback. How much of volume 15 is this going to cover? Leave it for later!
- They really did there best to drag this Winry confrontation out. But because of the flashback, it seems more about Scar than Winry.
- I want that damn Wii game!

Poor Scar. Poor Winry. Poor writing.

Okay, it wasn't that bad. Ishbal flashback for the win.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Sep 6 2009, 02:16 AM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 67,594

As much as I liked the ep, I still need to rewatch the RAW wink.gif And I bring screenshots from usual source:

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/09/06...brotherhood-22/

Particularly loved:

- Winry's VA
- The Ishval flashback (including the Rockbells and the Amestrian blue eyes)
- The EdWin scene at the end.

Plus, pacing was awesome today, and it seems like it's going to be like that next week too.

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Yikie
post Sep 6 2009, 03:38 AM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 66,339

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Sep 6 2009, 02:46 AM) *
- I never liked this Winry scene, because I always felt that, parents' death or not, Winry is too mature to raise a gun at Scar out of vengeance.

I have to disagree with you on this part. True, winry is very mature for her age, but at that moment, do you think she can still think logically/rationally?
Everything went so fast for her, she suddenly knows the killer of her parents, and suddenly was facing him eye to eye.
She must've recalled all the mixed emotions at once: the grief, the anger, etc... And then, she just snapped and picked up the gun.
I mean, if I were her, I'd have a mental breakdown too.

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Sep 6 2009, 03:42 AM
Post #5

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE (Yikie @ Sep 6 2009, 06:38 AM) *
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Sep 6 2009, 02:46 AM) *

I have to disagree with you on this part. True, winry is very mature for her age, but at that moment, do you think she can still think logically/rationally?
Everything went so fast for her, she suddenly knows the killer of her parents, and suddenly was facing him eye to eye.
She must've recalled all the mixed emotions at once: the grief, the anger, etc... And then, she just snapped and picked up the gun.
I mean, if I were her, I'd have a mental breakdown too.

Eh, you may have a point. She totally lost it in the moment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
allykatty1
post Sep 6 2009, 04:00 AM
Post #6

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,571

Hmm, initial feeling after watching via poor quality Keyhole was some good, a little bit of great, but... a lot of disappointment. I guess I've been waiting so long to see the gun scene animated and held such high expectations for it, that anything short of STUNNING wouldn't be enough. And it wasn't stunning. The art was a little off here and there and most importantly, the characters' expressions were off. The intensity that was in the manga just wasn't there.

One of my favorite pages in the manga:

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/47/10/

Turned out like this:

http://randomc.maximum7.net/image/Fullmeta...0Large%2034.jpg

That comparison alone makes me so sad, knowing what could have been. sad.gif This was it; what are the odds of this being animated a third time? Practically zilch. And most of the rest of the scene played out just as flatly compared to the manga as well.

If I were going to be really negative, I would even say the screenshot looks like a piece of so-so fanart next to the "real thing"! Where's the GLARE, the FIRE, in Ed's eyes??? Where's the shock on Winry's face? She almost looks bored in the screenshot when compared to the manga panel! Where's the energy, the tension, the flying debris? Where are the onlookers? And what, it's broad blue daylight? I always envisioned it as being a little more ominous, closer to dusk. It felt like the animators were just running through the motions, yet again, like they've done so many times in this new anime. We're done with the re-telling, this is all new stuff, not to mention one of THE most important scenes in the story, and to me, well, they kind of blew it. sad.gif

I also thought the flashback was extremely out of place. WTF do we leave such an important moment for, to ramble about Ishbal??? I would have much preferred to be in the dark about this mysterious brother of Scar's, just as it is in the manga. It was much more intriguing that way. Instead, we get a long-winded flashback interrupting the entire flow of energy of the scene (well, what little energy there was, at least). I have a degree in screenwriting from the top film school in the country and this just went against alllllll my instincts! tongue.gif

Music was so-so, nothing to really shock or draw you in or tense you up, nothing to really make you FEEL. It just felt like generic "oh no, something bad is happening, you should be appalled now" music. Again, a common problem in this new show... I had really hoped they were saving the GOOD music for scenes like this one, but I guess my hopes were misplaced after all. dry.gif

The positives were the voice acting (as always - go Romi! Winry, not too shabby either), the effect of the Amestrian blue eyes, and the scene of Ed prying Winry's fingers off the gun at the end. But even then, I felt like that last scene could have been even better, even more emotional. I wonder how this would have turned out if Seiji Mizushima had still been directing? Ah well, can't be helped, I guess. unsure.gif

My last desperate hope and goal is that FMA is eventually made into a live action franchise and we someday get to see this scene REALLY done justice!!! threaten.gif *sigh*

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Sep 6 2009, 04:09 AM
Post #7

State Alchemist (Major)

Yeah, I thought that, aside from the Ishbal flashback, some of the production values weren't as great as they could have been. But perhaps they're saving the budget for other things.

I love that thing with the eyes in the flashback, though. It sort of helped to highlight the rage and madness Scar felt in the moment he killed Winry's parents.

It's still my opinion that the entire Ishbal war flashback in volume 15 of the manga should be adapted into a new FMA theatrical film.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Womie
post Sep 6 2009, 05:25 AM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 69,364

I love this episode! God, I was very excited when I watched it. And I love EdxWin scene too wub.gif Everything is good, now episodes will be better. But I really love this episode! They showed EdxWinry's scene so beautifully ... I won't sleep today. I'm really happy. I waited for it!
Sorry for my excitement xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
thunderbreak
post Sep 6 2009, 05:58 AM
Post #9

Apprentice

Member No.: 68,553

i havent watch it yet,but based on comments,i wish that they put the flashback to ishbal war.as allykatty says,keep it mysterious.i remember i sorta think scar is too revengfuluntil i read the flashback,which states he kills her parents bcos lack of dose.the impact is great 4 me
according to narutofan,this is the first time Kenichi Ohnuki direct an fma episode.[correction: Animation director]
http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=538840

--------------------
Currently on :Silverspoon,re-reading FMA project(will post to blog soon)
Planning list:Pumpkin scissors,Stein Gate,Fairy Tail

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post Sep 6 2009, 06:16 AM
Post #10

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,867

halfway through the episode and I honestly think they did a good job. Winry's voice actress did a great job and they got one of my favorite voice actors to play Scar's brother. Takehito Koyasu. Winry dad sound like he's played by Sho Hayami who also played the blind alchemist. Anyway, I loved the animation of the Ling vs Bradely. well I was wrong, I guess the Girl in the battlefield title for next week's episode was referring to May chang instead of Winry. I think it was a creative difference on staff part to include the flashback of the war in that episode atleast only Scar's and Winry's part for that episode. It relate to the events better than the manga when it was told by Marcoh, Riza and Knox. atleast to me.

+Quote Post
thunderbreak
post Sep 6 2009, 06:25 AM
Post #11

Apprentice

Member No.: 68,553

omg,Takehito Koyasu is in !!yeah!! cant believe he plays the good guy this time round.thanks !!

--------------------
Currently on :Silverspoon,re-reading FMA project(will post to blog soon)
Planning list:Pumpkin scissors,Stein Gate,Fairy Tail

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post Sep 6 2009, 06:39 AM
Post #12

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,867

QUOTE (thunderbreak @ Sep 6 2009, 07:25 AM) *
omg,Takehito Koyasu is in !!yeah!! cant believe he plays the good guy this time round.thanks !!

Just listen to Scar's brother's voice. and you know instantly that Koyasu-san. It be nice if they get Ryotaro Okiayu to voice a character like Miles, would be perfect(voiceing another isbalian character like him would be a neat contrast to the first scar voice by him.) it would be like old scar meet new scar when they talk to each other when they adapt volume 18.

+Quote Post
mandymtt
post Sep 6 2009, 08:23 AM
Post #13

Citizen

Member No.: 49,384

QUOTE (allykatty1 @ Sep 6 2009, 04:00 AM) *
Hmm, initial feeling after watching via poor quality Keyhole was some good, a little bit of great, but... a lot of disappointment. I guess I've been waiting so long to see the gun scene animated and held such high expectations for it, that anything short of STUNNING wouldn't be enough. And it wasn't stunning. The art was a little off here and there and most importantly, the characters' expressions were off. The intensity that was in the manga just wasn't there.

One of my favorite pages in the manga:

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/47/10/

Turned out like this:

http://randomc.maximum7.net/image/Fullmeta...0Large%2034.jpg

That comparison alone makes me so sad, knowing what could have been. sad.gif This was it; what are the odds of this being animated a third time? Practically zilch. And most of the rest of the scene played out just as flatly compared to the manga as well.

If I were going to be really negative, I would even say the screenshot looks like a piece of so-so fanart next to the "real thing"! Where's the GLARE, the FIRE, in Ed's eyes??? Where's the shock on Winry's face? She almost looks bored in the screenshot when compared to the manga panel! Where's the energy, the tension, the flying debris? Where are the onlookers? And what, it's broad blue daylight? I always envisioned it as being a little more ominous, closer to dusk. It felt like the animators were just running through the motions, yet again, like they've done so many times in this new anime. We're done with the re-telling, this is all new stuff, not to mention one of THE most important scenes in the story, and to me, well, they kind of blew it. sad.gif

I also thought the flashback was extremely out of place. WTF do we leave such an important moment for, to ramble about Ishbal??? I would have much preferred to be in the dark about this mysterious brother of Scar's, just as it is in the manga. It was much more intriguing that way. Instead, we get a long-winded flashback interrupting the entire flow of energy of the scene (well, what little energy there was, at least). I have a degree in screenwriting from the top film school in the country and this just went against alllllll my instincts! tongue.gif

Music was so-so, nothing to really shock or draw you in or tense you up, nothing to really make you FEEL. It just felt like generic "oh no, something bad is happening, you should be appalled now" music. Again, a common problem in this new show... I had really hoped they were saving the GOOD music for scenes like this one, but I guess my hopes were misplaced after all. dry.gif

The positives were the voice acting (as always - go Romi! Winry, not too shabby either), the effect of the Amestrian blue eyes, and the scene of Ed prying Winry's fingers off the gun at the end. But even then, I felt like that last scene could have been even better, even more emotional. I wonder how this would have turned out if Seiji Mizushima had still been directing? Ah well, can't be helped, I guess. unsure.gif

My last desperate hope and goal is that FMA is eventually made into a live action franchise and we someday get to see this scene REALLY done justice!!! threaten.gif *sigh*

Don't feel bad at all... Sometimes I can't even watch the episodes because I am so disappointed with the art. Its like they pick and choose which scenes to make look nice, for example: Roy killing lust was incredible. But this scene is JUST as important! I mean Eds face and body language there looks like the person who drew that didn't give a crap... sleep.gif

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Sep 6 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #14

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

*floating up on cloud nine*

In saying that I'm only there for that little added moment when Ed put's his arm on Winry's back (least thats what it looked like). That scene between them was done beautifully, but Ed's "dramatic" leap in front of her was weak.

I did think the flashback scene was long winded when placed in the middle like that. I think also perhaps you are encouraged to forgive Scar a little prematurely, when at that point you should still be pitying poor old Winry. What I did like about that scene though is how they are always making a point about the Red Eyes of the Ishval...here the made the blue eyes stand out as the evil.

Was someone strangling a cat at some point, or was it a violin? Maybe it was slightly comical cat behind the wall Scar blasts through?

Next weeks episode looks like it might be a tad drawn out. Not sure at what point in the manga that last shot of Winry is meant to be from. I'm assuming after she's been chatting to Bradley and Ed returns and she demands to be told everything. So perhaps we can assume "OMFG I wuv Edo" is on ep 24?

Overall though I'm content.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Sep 6 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #15

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

sooo from the comments people have left I was expecting this episode to be bad and i actually really enjoyed it! I'd prefer the ishbal flashback part where its meant to be but it was fine, I detect new music at ling vs bradley? well whatever i really liked it! And omg emotions running high! I shed many tears at certain parts of this, and i certainly felt much more pain for scar than I did in the manga actually, and now the episode is over I feel really good about it, not to mention very emotional over the whole thing, I'd like to say I wanted more winry hugglez ed! That was very short but I really liked how the end theme started during it, worked really well, and maybe hugglez scene shall resume next week, all in all I thought it was pretty good, I think the fact I was expecting it to be awful made it exceed my expectations, oh and i really liked the blue eye thing in the flashback

lol edit: what was with the cat in the explosion? XD haha Al should have gone to rescue it rather than chasing after Scar, how out of character! haha i joke XD was it in the manga?

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 03:26 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css