HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 20: Father Before The Grave - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 20 episodes!!
Elle-chan
post Aug 18 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,685

I love the series so far. But i think they are rushing it a little bit.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Aug 19 2009, 12:56 AM
Post #47

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

yo couple posts up, put spoiler tags for hoho and father not being the same person - even though its not as ambiguous w/ the voices being different, it's still not certain

+Quote Post
thunderbreak
post Aug 19 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #48

Apprentice

Member No.: 68,553

i think they cut some of the hoho scene at beginning.yeah ,i agre that we initially gets to "hate" hoho bcos of ed,but when he finally meets him it's hard to hate him lol...i read some of the anime viewers comment ,and it seems like they want to turn hoho like as thought he is a villian.
i like it where ed digs the grave.at the final part,his motions get quicker and he use his hands instead of the digger and he gets frantic..i think the motion part there is quite good.it pulls your heartstrings on.another part i think the anime retains the manga spirit is when hoho touches ed's head,and where hoho looks at the door when telling pinako about the not-trisha thing.
um about the music (italian?-i'm not that familiar with the music compare to spanish ones) appears at al's flashback and ed's dream is ugghh....music inconsistency ...
and about ed's back...that's the part i laughed at along with ling's chicken.not sure why.
for music..well i like it where ed calls izumi.i think it's clarinet/bassoon(cant remember exactly) but it's really good.but the return call music from izumi is too...urggh

yeah,ed sounds like a girl when laughing.i think it's a bit inevitable(stilll i prefer it if sounds more like a male).but still,good vomit part.
i am more looking forward to next ep.not sure why,thought the dug grave scene in the manga is one of my fav and it has a huge impact for me .umm..riza face back to FA norm.roy 's looks good however,and i think they kept the tempo intact,especially at ed & al clapping scene

--------------------
Currently on :Silverspoon,re-reading FMA project(will post to blog soon)
Planning list:Pumpkin scissors,Stein Gate,Fairy Tail

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Aug 19 2009, 05:27 PM
Post #49

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

yeah, the Ed-laughing was definitely like the Yagami Light freakout in Deathnote. it made me lol

+Quote Post
Rainshine
post Aug 19 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #50

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 64,866

I really liked this episode... we finally get to see Hohenheim, and it got to the part about how the thing they transmuted wasn't really their mom.
I really liked the part where Ed was digging up the grave, and i loved his crazy laugh. laugh.gif
And I wanted to hug him when he was vomiting for some reason... dry.gif
The music in this episode was really great too!

Can't wait for the next one. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edo little kid
post Aug 20 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #51

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 49,158

Looool , Ed-laughing was best thing ever !!!<3
liked this episode very much
Hohenheim was awesome!!
also ,his voice was very good!
the part of digging up the grave was great !!!

can't wait the next ep!!

+Quote Post
BloodRed Alchemi...
post Aug 20 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #52

Citizen

Member No.: 45,662

Another awesome episode! I loved the music at the end while Al was having his epiphany(sp?)

+Quote Post
Radadinator
post Aug 22 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #53

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,706

Ahaha, it amuses me how there's a ton of people (not here, but elsewhere on the Internet) that criticize every little detail in Brotherhood, but still get upset when they hear there's no new episode tomorrow. We're all FMA geeks inside. tongue.gif

Anyways, Hohenheim's personality always sort of confused me. I'm sure he will have more chances to show off his oddball quirks, though, and he gets to be a superhohenmothaf*!@inheim later on, with the battle versus Pride and Father and whatever.

Thaaaaat being said, I really am enjoying this series more than the original one. I'd consider the new director to be a weenie if he didn't have the courage to mess around with the source material. The message of FMA still goes through, and I liked how Pinako specifically said that the bones were of a man in this episode.

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Aug 22 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #54

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

Gah, I only just got around to watching this and rereading the manga today.

And I thought the episode kinda...Totally sucked. I mean it seemed to drag, for one thing. But it was basically a butchering of the manga version. The amount of stuff cut out or mishandled was ridiculous. Humour, character, lines, explanations, plot! (s Mr. Deathy pointed out with regards to the conclusion of the digging. And as everyone says about Hohenheim) Not to mention the stupid scene reshuffling. (revealing Ling's background immediately, etc.)

Plus, the music was really badly used. The way Ed and Hohenheim were drawn neara the beginning seemed really off as well.

Gah again!

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Aug 22 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #55

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

^ you sure like to complain a lot about every episode XD allthough all of what you say is true T_T its so sad *sob sob* but still this series is better than no series at all right? And there are SOME good things XD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Radadinator
post Aug 22 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #56

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,706

@Forsaken Love - Well, each to their own opinion, but you seem to be taking the bad things Brotherhood's done too drastically. I think the worst thing about the new series is just its inconsistency--you don't know which episode will be good or which episode won't be so good.

I think what they're trying to do with cutting out all of Hohenheim's odd moments is to make him seem like he really can be Father. This is sort of a good and bad choice to me.

And for all of the people who're upset with Brotherhood, you can always keep on reading the manga and just stop watching the new series. ):

+Quote Post
Zii
post Aug 22 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #57

Citizen

Member No.: 10,818

QUOTE (Radadinator @ Aug 23 2009, 10:22 AM) *
And for all of the people who're upset with Brotherhood, you can always keep on reading the manga and just stop watching the new series. ):

I may be upset with it, but it's still FMA. The series as a whole is too interesting to stop me from watching. That and it's a long wait between manga chapters :C

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Aug 23 2009, 04:46 AM
Post #58

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

My problem is that there's less reason for people to read the manga with the new series. And it confuses continuity and fan discussion a little further.

The idea was for this show was to bring that storyline and all it's goody goodness to a lot more people. And considering the anime is cutting humour, fight scenes, character development and in this episode; actual plot - I don't think it's really bringing the stuff from the anime to a new audience.
Now I don't mind a little bit of scene reshuffling, and I'm happy for them to add in new bits. But cutting everything worthwhile and reshuffling to the point where the story arcs become a mess and events lose all their dramatic effectiveness (such as Maria Ross is still alive ABOUT FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER) is not so good.

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Red Kitty
post Aug 23 2009, 05:53 AM
Post #59

Citizen

Member No.: 70,387

I finally got round to finishing all the Brotherhood episodes, up to this.

The main problem in the Brotherhood series is scene shuffling, cutting details, to the point where the anime loses a lot of effect and becomes a confused mess. However, I think that this is somewhat inevitable when going from one format to another. Things which can take a matter of seconds in an anime may take plenty of manga panels, or a single manga panel may be presented in something much longer. Limited budgets and costs mean that things WILL be cut.

However, I think in Episode 20 in particular, the wrong things were cut, and unnecessary detail was left in. The details showing quirks of Hoho's character - including the hairstyle scene, which is probably one of my favourite moments of that volume, were completely cut. Basically, Hohenheim came across as a cold and emotionless bastard. I also think the scene where Ed and Al talking on the stairs, near the end of the anime, was basically pointless, and should have been mostly cut - apart from the obvious plot details.

Instead, the Hohenheim's quirks should have been shown properly, and detail on why Ed suddenly knew he could save Al, since Al's brain must be somewhere, would have been a better choice.

Though I think the grave-digging scene was done pretty well. I can see where those who say it was less dramatic are coming from, after rereading the manga, although I don't think it was lacking. Ed's laughter there was really great (totally freaked me out, thought Ed was losing his marbles - it worked really well). And I love how they kept the scene with RanFan and Ling eating identical to the manga.

Saying that, I think this episode would have always been a comedown after the epic extravaganza we got last week. It's almost natural to feel slightly disappointed. Though I think this episode could have been far worse *cough*Maria Ross' death*cough* which was handled awfully.

--------------------

Can you honestly say no to those eyes?

+Quote Post
Zii
post Aug 23 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #60

Citizen

Member No.: 10,818

QUOTE (Vagrant @ Aug 23 2009, 09:16 PM) *
My problem is that there's less reason for people to read the manga with the new series.

A person who only watches the anime would agree with you. After all, why should they read something they've already seen animated? But the informed fan would find out what they're missing and check it out. We just have to promote the manga to the uninformed masses smile.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2016 - 08:49 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css