*Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site: (Translation by Tombow, with episode title from official sub on Funimation.com) Episode 20: "Father Before the Grave" TBF.... (currently I'm having problem opening up pages on the official JP site.. I'll fill in this one later. ^^)
Episode Summary: (To be filled)
Characters in this episode: (To be filled)
Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes, to be filled)
Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)
FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
Joined: 10-July 09
From: Lincoln, Uk
Member No.: 70,019
Another week, another new episode of Brotherhood. This weeks was a bit of a come down after last week's high action kickassathon, but that should come as no surprise really. This episode was less abotu kicking [All hail lord Xenu] and more about character and more importantly, about advancing the plot. With that said, here's a quick summary of my thoughts on the events of the episode:
- WHY, OH GOD WHY DID THEY GIVE HOHENHEIM A DIFFERENT VOICE TO FATHER?!? This really bugged me, it's eliminated any suspicion we may have had that they were the same person and that Hohenheim was the ultimate villain of the series. Very dissapointed with that, but I'm sure I'll get over it.
- Hohenheim seemed to lose a little of his personality in the translation. He just came off as rather stiff here. I mean he's supposed to be but all his little quirks (commenting on Ed's hairstyle, telling Pinako what a great friend she is, etc) were lost and again, think this is a shame. I'd have to say the portrayal of Hohenheim is the most dissapointing thing for me in this episode. Though I'm sure this all came as a result of time cuts in an episode that had to portray, let's face it, ALOT of information.
- I always liked that Pinako and Ed had time to interact with each other during this story. It's nice to see Pinako acting like a parental figure, think it shows a great contrast to Hohenheim.
- Now with all the the things removed from this episode, BONES actually ADDED something I liked. I'm referring to Pinako stating that the thing Ed adn Al transmuted was a man. I don't know why I liked this, it just felt like a good change.
- I like Ed's beige jacket.
- Love Ling and Lan Fan stuffing their faces. Makes me giggle. Surprised Homunculus weren't mentioned here. How are they gonna work that in?
- Love that they added the height chart, in case you forgot that Ed was short. (Though I suspect it was to emphasise that Al was shorter than Ed back then)
- Izumi is always awesome.
- Al and Ed's discussion on the stairs - stupid place it may be to have THAT conversation (Apparently they don't see a problem discussing their court martialable offence, loudly in the middle of a military hotel) - was great. The music and everything was perfect. Also liked how the shine on Al's helmet was made to look like tears.
- You hear that? It's the sound of a thousand Edwin fans screaming all at once....
- Don't know how much further into Volume 11 we'll be getting next episode, but something tells me the episode will take us right to the end of it. Bored of the talking this week? Well we're in for some kickass string of episodes by my estimation. Is gonna make waiting an extra week for the episodes worth it, I assure you.
All in all not a thrilling episode, and a bit of a step down from episode 19, but still solid, except for the problems with Hohenheim previously mentioned.