HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 19: The Death Of The Undying - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 19 episodes!!
SonPan
post Aug 10 2009, 02:58 PM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,436

No Prob...
I just couldnt stop myself smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Aug 10 2009, 06:13 PM
Post #32

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

This was by far the best episode of the the series thus far. The art and animation was (mostly) great, there was action and suspense, the music was spot on, and it just felt big and noteworthy. In fact, I'll go as far as saying that it's as good, if not better, than any of the best episodes of the first series, and I was a huge fan, and continue to be a huge fan, of that series. Really, I felt like this was one of those episodes that did Arakawa's story justice. It's one of those episodes of an anime that I'll always remember.

Now, it wasn't perfect, mind you. I personally don't mind saving the fight between the Xingese characters and Envy and Gluttony for another episode, but there are a few important story elements that are in that battle that would have been better introduced sooner rather than later. Then there's the voice acting by the voice actress for Riza Hawkeye, which I felt was too girlish, like she was a grade school girl crying over a fight with her boyfriend. I felt like the VA for Riza in the first series could have captured her anguish without it sounding so cheesy.

Then, of course, there's my opinion of Lust as a whole, and how I preferred the more constructed Lust in the first series, but this is hardly the time to even bring that up, since she did serve her purpose here. She didn't exactly go to waste, even though she wasn't as important as the first series.

Anyway, a hallmark episode. And I look forward to seeing Edward confront his father in the next episode.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Aug 10 2009, 06:31 PM
Post #33

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

Definitely my favorite so far, and it may seem like I"m saying this with a biased RoyAi opinion, but because I'm such a rabid fan of the pairing (and the two characters themselves), I was being even more critical than usual as I watched it because it meant a lot, being one of my all time favorite stories.

Firstly, the animation was wonderful. It was consistant throughout most of the episode, and then the part where Roy was setting Lust on fire like that...it was just perfect at that part. It really blew me away because I wasn't expecting it to be that good.

Only distracting part was the second and third screams. It kind of reminded me of the season finale of LOST where Sun saw Jin die and she screamed once and it was fine, and then she forced out two more screams that really took me out of the moment...but it wasn't as bad as that, still pretty overdone though.

Overall, I adored the episode, and I cannot wait to see what they do with Hoho Papa next week! (and they'd better work in that fight scene with Envy sometime)

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Aug 11 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #34

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

Lust chopping up Barry was a bit cool.
That's literally the only positive thing I have to say about this episode. (okay; Al talking about protecting people was also good)

I didn't like the way they cut, directed and animated just about all of it. Cinematography paled in comparison to the framing of the manga. And especially since this episode featured some of the best manga moments evar.
Missing the Xingese fight was about the worst thing about it. But I have a ton of nitpicks; the way certain characters looked, lighting, Roy's physique, missing lines, Gluttony stuff, etc.

I'll admit they did some things as reasonably as should be expected, but still. The amount they're consistently getting wrong really bothers me.
I'm quite shocked that so many of you were happy with it.

Gah. I pretty much lost faith in this adaptation being even halfway decent in comparison to the manga a couple of episodes ago.

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Imbris
post Aug 11 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #35

Citizen

Member No.: 63,564

lalala not reading anyone else's comments - I don't want to see the whining! tongue.gif

Great episode! Incredibly action-packed with multiple serious plot developments! Clearly the best episode of the series so far.

+Quote Post
Zii
post Aug 11 2009, 01:13 AM
Post #36

Citizen

Member No.: 10,818

QUOTE (Vagrant @ Aug 11 2009, 05:11 PM) *
I'll admit they did some things as reasonably as should be expected, but still. The amount they're consistently getting wrong really bothers me.
I'm quite shocked that so many of you were happy with it.

Gah. I pretty much lost faith in this adaptation being even halfway decent in comparison to the manga a couple of episodes ago.

Depressing, isn't it?
I really enjoyed this episode while watching it live, and then I realised soon after it finished: they're not trying to live up to the manga. They had their chance to make a bloody great awesome series that'll be remembered for ever, and they stuffed it up. All we can do now is enjoy what's left of the carcass-- um, I mean we should appreciate that they've bothered to animate anything for us at all. Gosh we're ungrateful cretins *tsk*

Also, it's stirring up the fandom again, and we can go and nag people into reading the manga \o/

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Aug 11 2009, 02:02 AM
Post #37

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

^At times like this I think we should even just be grateful they've made it into an anime series, for a long while there was never going to be another.

Oh well. I liked it a lot, that's all that matters really smile.gif

I even had tears in my eyes at a few points, I'm somewhat of a Royai fan.

They only tiny tiny thing that I didn't like was Riza's screaming, it didn't sound right. Although, I don't like her voice much anyway so there you go haha.

+Quote Post
TheGreed
post Aug 11 2009, 03:00 AM
Post #38

Citizen

Member No.: 67,670

This new series has been entertaining for me, but this episode just blew me away, rarely does an anime really amaze me.

The animation through out the episode was fantastic, Roy's flames were really brought alive and nicely animated. Also it's nice to see they've fixed Lust's spear fingers (I remember in the episode where she intended to kill Hughe's they looked a bit awkward.) Also where she was dieing and disintergrating away was greatly animated, very impressive, they really went all out for this one!

Seems like there was new music introduced, i wonder if they held back using it for this moment alone, well whether they did or not, it was greatly timed and made the scene of Roy killing Lust even greater, i feel any of the earlier music in the series wouldn't of made the scene as intense.

As for people complaining about Riza's VA, i think it's best not to compare to the first series. I barely remember what Riza sounded like though so I don't have much complaints tongue.gif although her screaming did hurt my eyes a tad.

Also although i love the Xing characters, i'm happy they left it out, although it would've been great to see, i think if we were going back and forth between the fights it would make the episode seem all over the place. A wise decision I say.

Great episode, I won't be forgetting this one, and I hope they continue out doing themselves during certain battles (Although i think that episode alone has made me a huge Roy fan, i'm more interested in his fights xD)
I look forward to the next episode, I always loved Ed's and his dads scenes together.

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Aug 11 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #39

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

WOW...did anyone else notice Roy's ROCK HARD ABS? and yet...smaller head and huge hands??? That threw me off a bit.

The "Roy" drawn in the manga tends to have a more prominent jawline. Eh anyways its no biggie.

But WOW...those abs...nice! biggrin.gif

I loved the scene where he was burning up Lust. It was very well done.

I also thought that Riza's second scream was a bit off. Kinda weird. Maybe the dub will be better.

All in all, a great episode. Came pretty quickly? I wasn't expecting it so soon I guess.

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Aug 11 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #40

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Aug 11 2009, 01:28 PM) *
WOW...did anyone else notice Roy's ROCK HARD ABS? and yet...smaller head and huge hands??? That threw me off a bit.

But WOW...those abs...nice! biggrin.gif

Physical conditioning is part of being an Alchemist. Just ask Ed and Alex.

Still wish we got to see Hughes without a shirt...

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Aug 11 2009, 06:25 PM
Post #41

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

Well, I was so amazed at this episode, that after watching it last night, I forgot to comment on it!
The whole episode was fantastic. Definetely my top fave. I didn't even miss the Xingese fight with Envy and Gluttony (even though I'm looking forward to that as well)!
I didn't mind Riza's screaming. I even teared up when she had that hopeless look on her face.
Poor Barry. It was nice having him around.
Roy was made of so much epic! Loved watching him kick some [All hail lord Xenu]!
Al was so darn cool! Protecting Riza like that. I'm loving this more active Al.
LOL! I loved when Al's arm fell off at the end!
HOHENHEIM!!!! I'm soooo looking forward to the next episode!

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
Red Shrimp
post Aug 11 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 70,065

Fantastic episode. Lust and Roy VA did an excellent job for this episode, same goes to Riza and Alphonse.

And I definitely liked how the ending song got in the part where Edward saw Hohenheim.

Story's progressing really fast.

--------------------
I'm not small! I just live in a big world goddammit!

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Aug 11 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #43

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

I liked the episode for all the same reasons that everyone else did. For some reason I am not big on characters or people screaming. But Riza's screaming was for a Royai moment so it is ok.

The staff really put in a lot of effort with that episode. Especially the fight. Roy is merciless. (And also hot with his shirt open)

Bye Barry.

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Aug 11 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #44

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

Good. Entertaining. Music I liked. Bouncy boobs took away a bit of the mood; or actually, it wasn't so much the boobs as the sound effects. BOING!! Anyway, Lust was haawt, and is my favourite homunculus character. And now she's gone. Too bad she has such a small part in the manga.

Didn't like Gluttony scene, his voice is not good, and the ridiculous scream when falling out of church made me giggle sarcastically, at the awefulness.

Too tired to write coherent, developed thoughts. Sorry.

Anyway. Pretty good ep.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
TheSentinel
post Aug 12 2009, 07:35 PM
Post #45

Citizen

Member No.: 44,527

Not to jump on anyone for their opinions, but I'll offer one of my own.

IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion):

Lots of things switch formats: book to movie, tv show to movie, movie to book, comic to movie, manga to anime, anime to manga, etc. etc etc.

My best advice, don't try to confuse one for the other. They aren't identical pieces. Compare them all you wish, point out things you liked or disliked. Just don't expect perfection... its not possible.

I love the Manga, probably one of the best stories I've ever read (books included). I enjoyed the first anime (it led me to the manga). I'm loving the new anime. The manga remains better IMNSHO, but just because they aren't animating the manga frame by frame its not going to be a 'perfect' adaptation.

Enjoy the series (or don't, after all its you can make up your own mind).

--------------------
Tomorrow's forecast:
An expected high of 68 degrees, partly cloudy, with a chance of DOOM!

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 01:18 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css