HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 18: The Arrogant Palm Of A Small Human - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 18 episodes!!
Trakonda
post Aug 4 2009, 06:19 AM
Post #46

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,583

Great episode! Animation was good, characters were drawn really well, too. (I'm also happy to see how Ed actually looks older in the anime now. biggrin.gif )

However, I can't help the feeling that the whole 'ishbalans and ed'-scene looked a little.. out of place at times. It really bugged me how Ed kept changing his face expression every time they switched the camera from Ishbalans to Ed. It's just like he wasn't sure whether to be shocked, just normal, or serious while talking with them. I dunno, but that's just me. XD It didn't come out as fluent as I was hoping it to be.
(or then it was just my media player that skipped out important frames.. it does that sometimes.)

But still.. Bones really did improve with this episode! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Aug 4 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #47

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

Wow. Seriously. I'm surprised. And impressed. I felt, you know, felt, emotions, I felt 'em, while watching this episode. Emotions. Brotherhood. Beats the hell out of me how and why this happened. Maybe I was more receptive. Or maybe this episode simply just happened to be the best episode to come out of Brotherhood so far. I don't know.

Watching Maria appear on that slope, and the triumphing music playing, and Ed's and Armstrong's reactions, the happiness of the scene, all that made me feel all warm inside. And it's weird, I haven't even felt anything remotely close to that before, and there's been a lot of sad/deppressing stuff going on before this, and then I didn't feel a thing. Barely, anyway. And Maria was only gone for half an ep, so I don't know what provoked this reaction in me.

One thing is certain, though. This episode was great. Animation was beautiful. Music was even more so. The structure of this episode, all the components of the story connected in just the right places, the even, perfect, pace of everything. The flashbacks, the ruins of Xerxes, the tale of The Philosopher from the West, (which felt very powerful) the revelation of the murderer of Winrys parents, everything was so, so, soo good. It all kicked in into making this one of the best episode so far. I barely have any complaints.

The new musical pieces introduced here were all very, very good. And that would be the only thing I could even start to imagine bitching about; not that they were so great&awesome, but that they waited so long to introduce them, they overused the old themes a bit too much, IMO. Does that mean these new pieces will get old really quickly as well? Especially seeing as 3-4 new pieces were introduced all in this one ep, I mean, shouldn't they balance out the introduction of new pieces to a more even pace, to avoid having the "old" ones get old all too fast?

Well, whatever. All the new pieces were part of what made this so awesome. Just hope Bones got a nice collection of songs just as good to use in the future, instead of just doing different versions and remixes.

Sigh... If only all of the series episodes were made of this much win.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Aug 4 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #48

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Program Note>

QUOTE (Skorpious @ Aug 4 2009, 10:59 AM) *
I'm new to this forum (obviously tongue.gif ) so I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask a question....

@Skorpious - Welcome to the forum! biggrin.gif I moved your post to Where to watch FMA:B episodes thread, and kind of replied on that thread.
The new location of your post is here and I'm writing the reply post there now. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Aug 4 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #49

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

I thoroughly enjoyed ep. 18 - they did a really great job condensing everything together.

One thing I'd like to note were that there some really great shots in this episode, and I loved the use of color for them.

Hopefully ep. 19 will keep the action going - as the gunfight scenes were fantastic.

<OT: Terribly sorry for not being able to keep up with the Funimation Transcripts. It's been hard finding the time to get them done as work and other commitments have taken priority. When I get the chance, I'll definitely try to get to work on them again, but any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!>

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Aug 4 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #50

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

I think that Brotherhood does get better with each new episode. I enjoyed this one. I did feel that Maria Ross was revelead too quickly. The manga probably felt more suspensful because we had to wait a month or more. I thought that the Ed confronting the Ishbalans was done well.

Also loved the Ed fansevice. biggrin.gif Bones really loves to put in Ed shirtless scenes whenever they can. But I am not complaining.

I liked this episode, but they really should have left in the part where Major Armstrong asks Maria if he should tell Denny about her being alive. And Maria says no, because everything shows on the Sergant's face.

Episode 19 should be epic though. Cannot wait for that one.

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Aug 5 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #51

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

I haven't been on the forum in a while, but ooohhhh

This episode was awesome!! I'm looking forward to the next one even more though, but I'm probably gonna bawl my eyes out, I did for the manga lol.

+Quote Post
BloodRed Alchemi...
post Aug 6 2009, 11:22 PM
Post #52

Citizen

Member No.: 45,662

I'm glad they saved the one of the coolest battles for the next episode. But still I was so amped up for it that when the ep ended I was like:"NOOOOOOOOO!!!! WHHHHYYYYYY?!?!?!?!" I am going to explode w/excitement while watching 19! It is my fav battle.dance3.gif I also luv the scene afterwards when Mustang tells Riza how foolish she was for being influenced by the enemy.

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Aug 8 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #53

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

My inner fangirl was a very happy bunny with this episode. I'm not stating this to prove I need to get out more, but to back what others have said in that he's starting to look older as he did at this point in the manga (smaller eyes, broader shoulders).

I can see why they have changed around timelines. If the next episode had come before this one it would have downgraded this episode to more of a filler even if it did have important events in it. Though I am looking forward to the battle in tomorrows episode (action is far superior in this series) I really want to see Ed/Hoho. I'm hoping they don't take out the humour as they did in previous episodes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 12 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #54

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 18 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Jun 12 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #55

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

I love this episode smile.gif I've always loved it.

I was hoping the English version would have Havoc says "Eyes of the Hawk" instead of "Hawk's eye's"
Other than that, no complaints. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Jun 12 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #56

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Jun 13 2010, 12:36 AM) *
I love this episode smile.gif I've always loved it.

I was hoping the English version would have Havoc says "Eyes of the Hawk" instead of "Hawk's eye's"
Other than that, no complaints. biggrin.gif

I'm just glad that a whole new audience has gotten to see how badass Mustang and his crew are, as well as Mustang's own brand of brilliant genius. smile.gif

As for the dub itself, I have to say it was nice hearing Colleen Clinkenbeard's "shopkeeper girl" voice coming out of the mouth of the usually laconic Hawkeye. smile.gif

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Jun 13 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #57

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

I forgot how erratic the pacing is in this portion of the show. It's rather annoying.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jun 13 2010, 05:16 AM
Post #58

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

Armstrong's voice actor made me laugh this episode. xD

Overall I liked the tone of the episode, I really feel like things are moving along. smile.gif

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jun 13 2010, 06:37 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 55,758

Looks like I raised this episode to the skies last time around. Hm. I've seen it at least once after that, but still, this calls for a rewatch.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post Jun 13 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 59,111

Wow, already forgot how good this episode was.

And it is, dubbing-wise as well. It may actually be one of the best-dubbed episodes so far (along with the 13th or 14th one).

The voice acting had top-notch quality, it was very natural and emotional, but not exaggerated.

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2016 - 09:40 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css