HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 17: Cold Flame - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 17 episodes!!
Hagaren_4ever
post Jul 26 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #16

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 50,311

Just watched it RAW. Most of the time, based on the manga dialog, I could guess what they were saying, but I think I'll watch the sub later, just to be sure. My initial thoughts are these:
Animation:
I don't know, the characters just seem to be shifting slightly in appearance every episode. (Except maybe Ed, Al, and Winry.) Hawkeye especially, I mean jeez. Pick an eye shape and stick with it, am I right? Other than that, I was happy with the way the showed the body language of the characters, and the added expressions of Edward during Winry's "blah blah feelings" speech were a nice touch.
Voice Acting:
Not bad, but not particularly notable, in my opinion. But Ling's voice continues to satisfy me, and Dr. Knox was as expected as well.
Content:
The messed up order of things is finally evened out, but is it just me who, during the preview of the next episode was like, "What the... they JUST killed her and one episode later they reveal the 'OMG she's alive' moment?! I had to go through about 5 chapters of thinking she was dead, the new FMA viewers should have to go through more than just a week!"?
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Jul 19 2009, 07:50 PM) *
I haven't wanted to kill the "Fullmetal Alchemist!" guy in such a long time. I'm liking him lately.

Curse you, jinxes!! Cuuurrrsee yoooouuu!!

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Jul 26 2009, 07:00 PM
Post #17

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

Just watched the sub. Mustang sure makes a good villain. I thought this episode was up to par, and definitely leaves the viewer with uncertain thoughts about everything by the end, which is what it was supposed to do.

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Jul 26 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #18

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

Great episode!
Even though Mustang killing Maria would have done great at the end (like a cliffhanger), I still liked the ending.
I loved Ling and Barry driving Falman crazy! hilarious!
The animation was good, but I thought Envy looked strange.

Can't wait unitl the next episode! The ruins of Xerxes....it's gonna be awesome!

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Jul 26 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #19

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

QUOTE (Jen_Elric @ Jul 26 2009, 10:26 PM) *
The animation was good, but I thought Envy looked strange.

I also think Envy looked odd. Good thing Envy didn't have center stage. I think they nailed Mustang though. I also liked the image of Ed scowling at Mustang in the alley.

Did anyone notice the unusually long pause before Ed asked Winry for advice? They could have made it shorter lol

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Jul 26 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #20

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 68,646

I absolutely love Ling XD I think they're doing such a great job with him. He and his retainers are my favorite thing about this adaptation thus far. I'm really, really pleased with how they turned out wub.gif

And the Barry and Falman parts were good too :3

I liked the Roy and Maria subplot as well. He was such a villain in this episode...

one thing I wasn't thrilled with was that little bit with him at the end being all "now they won't hinder me"...that was unnecessary foreshadowing that I think they could have easily done without. Although I suppose it did make him seem much more evil, because if you don't know what he's referring to it makes him sound like he's going to try to take over the world or something XD

Anyway, I can't wait for next week. I hope we get a lot more Ling :3

--------------------

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Jul 27 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #21

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was sort of let down by the "big event" of the episode, the scene in the alley with Roy and Maria.

First, because Ed and Al already knew about Hughes' death, their finding out about her arrest and running out to get answers isn't as dramatic. In fact, I sort of don't believe they would even run out right away like that just for Ross' arrest. It was that extra jolt of discovering Hughes was dead that led them to run out like they did in the manga.

Second, the scenes leading to the "event" didn't really build the way it did in the manga, and you don't know how Roy could even have known about Ross' escape. It could just be because I know how these events pan out from the manga, but there was a little too heavy hinting for my liking, and the lead-in to the scene was a little too quick.

The events in of themselves do amp up the tension in the story. I only wish they could have kept the proper manga event order and had the aforementioned scene at the end of an episode, not halfway through this one. If anything is an episode finale moment, it's that one. The first series was always good at doing things like that.

I can't be too picky, I suppose. I did like the episode, it just didn't enthrall me like I expected it to.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jul 27 2009, 01:38 AM
Post #22

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

Lol anyone find the epic music when Armstrong was punching Ed and dragging him off was soooooooo inappropiet XD lololol, I was like eh?? Normally I don't notice too much wrong with the music even though a lot of people go on about it, but that was really random, serious music in a comic scene lol XD

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post Jul 27 2009, 06:15 AM
Post #23

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 68,640

My thoughts after watching the subs:

-They mentioned Ling's age when he was in prison, so maybe they're not going to do the Ling/Ed height comparison. sad.gif
-Soundtrack is getting way to repetitive. I think they used the same melody/theme within like five minutes of each other, just with different instruments.
-Lol @ evil babysitter Hawkeye laugh.gif (I wonder why she slammed the door...)
-Poor Falman tongue.gif
-Winry was really cute in this episode :3
-Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but they forgot to change Ed's jacket!
-Switching the events around didn't really bother me, I thought it still flowed even if Bones didn't follow the manga exactly.

Looking forward to Xerxes biggrin.gif

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
DistantBlue
post Jul 27 2009, 07:16 AM
Post #24

Alchemists

Member No.: 67,766

Personally, plot-wise, I loved the whole episode. I'll admit that the Ross killing would have been epically dramatic at the end, but whatever. I think it was still a great episode.

The music - at the end of this episode it didn't fit at all, and they are using the SAME FRICKIN' FOUR OR FIVE PIECES. Seriously, new music would be nice, BONES.

art - I thought it was well-animated, but some characters did look kinda funky. Like Envy and Ed. And I agree with Hagaren4eva - they need to fix Hawkeye's eyes! Honestly! Earlier in the series they were okay, but now they are huge (and changing shape)! It doesn't even look like Hawkeye anymore. (But if anyone has seen Hawkeye in the Wii game trailers, her eyes look fine. O.o)

Anyway, I still really enjoyed this episode. I can't wait for the next one. biggrin.gif

--------------------

QUOTE (Alzea @ Jul 16 2009, 07:49 AM) *
DistantBlue, I just can see this, demotivational poster:
Observation skillzShe haz them

+Quote Post
Serb Alchemist
post Jul 27 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #25

Citizen

Member No.: 69,818

I HATE MUSTANG!!!! angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

Ross sorry.gif sorry.gif

--------------------
Kosovo is Serbia, Our Holly Land!!!!

Oh Serbia our mother, do not grieve.
Call us, just call us
All the falcons will
Give their life for you!

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Jul 27 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #26

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

Watched this subbed last night, and overall I'm content with this episode. Not completely happy nor completely disappointed, but content.

The re-working of the events was fine, though I wanted to see more from Ling & the others - loved that part when they're all in the hideout eating. Poor Falman... laugh.gif It's always the straight man that suffers...

Couple of inconsistencies with the art, but that's normal.

Glad they kept the babysitter line and Winry's speech (and delivery of it) was great, I liked that her voice was just near-whisper as it's clear that she's been keeping her thoughts private.

Maria was adorable, especially when she was in her cell, struggling with her 'options'.

Roy's exactly how he's supposed to be at this point - the truth revealed should be excellent.

Also liked the VA for Knox, he's got that world-weariness in his voice, which fits.

I look forward to next week's episode.

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Jul 27 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #27

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,019

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jul 27 2009, 07:15 AM) *
-They mentioned Ling's age when he was in prison, so maybe they're not going to do the Ling/Ed height comparison.

That was my first thought when he mentioned his age. I'd actually forgotten that Lin even mentioned his age while he was imprisoned, well it's a shame we've lost the height scene most likely but we'll live no doubt.

Onto the rest of the episode:

- So they changed Ross relaying everything that had gone on during her interrogation to Armstrong to just straight up showing the interrogation. The cyncial part of my brain can't help but think this was done to give Henry Douglas more screentime and therefore to justify his appearance in one of the eyecatches. But that's just crazy talk.

- This results in Armstrong now being told he's not allowed to speak with Ross, which I can't decide is realistic or not. This probably means it doesn't matter.

- As slow as the scene was, I really like the scene with Winry trying to form an opinion on what the brothers should do. It's a nice scene that shows some nice characterisation on Winry's part.

- Kinda dissapointed that they took out Barry asking for the phone, as well as the small scene where Falman comes to. No big loss as we're not idiots who can't put two and two together. Also we'll probably see them soon anyway

- I'm actually in favour of Barry not stealing Lin's sword during the escape. Why? Because in the manga, Barry pretty much says 'this is mine now' but in later chapters Lin has clearly gained his sword back. Now I never much bought the idea that Barry just gave Lin his sword back so I'm happy to see that scene gone.

- Speaking of Lin, glad to see almost all of his humourous scenes were kept in tact. I especially love the smoke signals scene. Barry's reaction was pretty much perfect as well.

- I thought adding the scene where Hawkeye asks for leave and then slams the door upon leaving was a tad... odd. I'm not bothered by adding new scenes, it just seemed a tiny bit unecessary. I guess they're trying to make it seem like Hawkeye is angry at Mustang (Envy's dialogue before that supports this) and thus make it a bigger surprise when it turns out that the girl on the phone IS Hawkeye

- Now while I agree that Ross' death would've been a better cliffhanger, I think that BONES deserve praise for the way they ended this episode. Using what had built up over the course of the episode, they managed to portray Mustang in a way that could make you question what he's planning. It's nice to see Mustang portrated as the scheming little so and so that, let's face it, he is.

All in all, not a bad episode at all in my opinion. Not one of the best so far. Alot of held frames in the animation and alot of cheating as well (oh thought you could slip Ed sitting up between shots and no one would notice, eh BONES) and Barry in particular looked off model but, as I said last week, I wont condem them for that.

Next week looks... dissapointing to be honest. I expected next week for them to be getting into the gut of the action during this story arc, but it looks like most of next week will be devoted to Xerxes and more talky talky.

I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't suspect they've only brought Xerxes forwards so a. we know Ross is alive and b. Scar can get mentioned.

See ya next week

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Jul 27 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #28

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

I really liked this episode. The pacing was finally normal, and it was better than last week. Ling was the best part...and Barry, too! Ross was funny and cute as well.

Roy was win, but all the foreshadowing was a bit much. Unless people DO interpret it like Aribelle says, that he's trying to sabotage the planet or whatever XD

So it was a great episode, only thing I'm going to say is why add Riza slamming the door, which seemed to do nothing for the plot, and then cut short scenes about the same length like Barry on the phone or Falman calling Riza and her saying Roy won't be back for a while?

Oh, and why isn't he on the phone at the end? At this point, Fuery's supposed to be calling in. Oh well, hopefully it'll be in next episode.

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
theicecreamalche...
post Jul 27 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #29

Citizen

Member No.: 68,315

I was waiting on tenderhooks for this episode and it didn't disappoint...on the whole. Again, music needs to change. The repetitiveness is beginning to grate. Although the death of Ross was as dark and dramatic as I was hoping for, it really, really should have been placed at the end as a cliff-hanger, like others have already mentioned. It was just too good to have as a midway point.

Also, and I suppose this probably sounds utterly ridiculous, but that announcer completely ruined the mood for me coming in halfway through Ed's confrontation with Mustang (when I totally didn’t expect it XD) with his booming 'FULLLLL METALLL ALCHEMIST!!!~~' Yes, thanks for making me accidentally snort during a serious moment Mr. Announcer. If this series turns out bad it will be your fault entirely. tongue.gif

Argh. I love to hate Mustang. He really is playing villain in this episode. Just one example, aside from the obvious - the comment he made to Armstrong about all the beautiful women in Eastern HQ straight after killing Ross made him appear so despicable I just wanted to punch him even though I know what comes next, its a knee-jerk reaction! I truly wanted to murder him when I read it in the manga.... Ed's reactions were well portrayed - his anger, shock and confusion. I really felt for him in this episode. Al too.

I liked the early scene between Ed, Al and Winry, although what was with that looooong pause? Haha. Maybe it was because Winry's face didn't move during it so everything looked frozen. But I'm glad they didn't miss this scene out; I understand Winry's dilemma and its good to hear it voiced.

Dr Knox! Can't wait to see more of him. He has the perfect VA.

Can I adopt Ling please? I loved him in this episode, he and Barry were hilarious!

Well, that's all that springs to mind right now, roll on next week!

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Jul 27 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #30

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

Unimpressed again. And kinda bored for the beginning and toward the end.

Usual changes from the manga and the event reshuffling meant that things didn't work out half as well. And the stuff with Maria Ross came off a little too...Suspicious.

They did seem to get some humour in there at last though. Though it wasn't the smartest of comedy. :\

Didn't think the music in this episode was too good either. That tune when Winry was talking was just...Not good. At all.

Also the first time I've actually noticed Hawkeye's ridiculous changing appearance.

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 11:38 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css