HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 17: Cold Flame - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 17 episodes!!
Tombow
post Jul 25 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #1

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 3. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 17 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 17 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode

* HD Screen caps of this episode to be posted on this link address sometime later

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, with episode title from official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 17: "Cold Flame"
Ross is under the military custody as an suspect for the murder of Hughes, and the situation seems turning worse for her. Then, to her surprise, Barry attacks the brig where Ross is being held, and together with Ling, helps Ross escape from the military custody. The military issues an order to capture Ross, even shoot to kill if necessary. Ed and Al head for the Headquarters to find out the truth. But, even before Ed and Al find out more about the situation, Roy shows up before Ross, and shoot the flame toward Ross.......

Also, FYI, preview of the next episode (episode 17) from FMA-2 official JP site
(Translation by Tombow, the episode title is from official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 18: "The Arrogant Palm of a Small Human"
Ed is ordered by Roy to return to Resembool with Armstrong. But, as soon as they arrive at Resembool they are met by Breda who tells them that they are secretly leaving to visit the ruin of the legendary capital of Xerxes. After crossing the vast desert they finally reach the ruin where Fu was waiting for them. Fu guides them deep in the ruin where they meet with another unexpected person....

=======================================

Episode Summary: (To be filled)

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes, to be filled)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Jul 26 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 60,921

My initial impressions of the episode:

- As expected, Ed discovering from the paper that Maria Ross has been arrested loses some impact now that he already knows Hughes is dead.
- Though I hate Ling with at least sixty percent of the fiber of my being, I sure do like seeing his antics with Barry the Chopper.
- I still can't get used to Maria Ross's voice in this series. The first series voice was far, far superior.
- Henry Douglas still looks like vomit. I mean, come on, are they even trying?
- I felt like they wasted an opportunity by reshuffling the events covered by the past few episodes, because the scene in the alley with Roy should be an episode ender, not a halfway mark like here.
- Doctor Knox appears. Wooh, I guess. Sounds as I expected him to.
- Can we get some new background music for this show at some point? Seriously. There's more variety of music in Lupin III.

While it was okay, I wasn't really blown away by the episode. Maybe my expectations were too high.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Jul 26 2009, 03:19 AM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 67,594

Screenshots from usual blog:

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/07/26...brotherhood-17/

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
fullmoon
post Jul 26 2009, 03:44 AM
Post #4

Apprentice

Member No.: 65,068

QUOTE (amestris_star @ Jul 26 2009, 08:19 PM) *

Thanks amestris_star ^___^
This will make up for the laggy Keyhole experience.
I missed so many scenes and there was no sound. XD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jul 26 2009, 04:36 AM
Post #5

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

judging from the screenshots this episode looks pretty good! And the xerces thing is next ep, thank god they will leave us hanging a bit before they reintroduce maria, and the armstrong randomly punching ed is great XD and we have ed lieing around on the hotel bed yay, the only thing is that the newspaper scene will be kinda unepic now they know about Hughues death, I really wish they left it alone, but im looking forward to watching this later

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jul 26 2009, 05:47 AM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

I actually really enjoyed this episode. And it was definitely much more faithful to the manga than episode 16. In fact the only negative things I can say about this episode (certain scenes not having the same impact as they did in the manga) was because of changes that were made in episode 16 not anything in this episode. In fact the more I think about it the more I dislike episode 16 but well that's past us now.

The alley scene probably would have been better at the end of the episode for the most impact but the scene itself was still done very well. I also really liked the scene with Ed, Al, and Winry talking in the room and Ed asking Winry what he should do (it was much better than the apple pie scene I will say that).

Lots of great comedic moments too such as Roy flirting with Elizabeth and Ling & Barry driving Falman crazy all made me smile just as much as they did in the manga.

There were also a lot of great Armstrong moments in this episode (both serious and humorous)

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post Jul 26 2009, 06:47 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 68,640

Ooh, screenshots look awesome! I see lots of manga panels biggrin.gif I'm glad they kept in the part where Armstrong punches Ed and drags him off. laugh.gif

@penguintruth: Remind me who Henry Douglas is, for some reason I completely forgot...

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Jul 26 2009, 06:53 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 67,594

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jul 26 2009, 03:47 PM) *
@penguintruth: Remind me who Henry Douglas is, for some reason I completely forgot...

The officer who was questioning Ross.

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post Jul 26 2009, 07:03 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 68,640

QUOTE (amestris_star @ Jul 26 2009, 09:53 AM) *
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jul 26 2009, 03:47 PM) *

The officer who was questioning Ross.

Oh yeah, that dude. Well it's not like he was that good looking to start with. Thanks amestris_star happy.gif

And something else I noticed, they forgot to change Ed's outfit! He's supposed to have a different black jacket on; it has a different clasp at the top: manga vs. anime.

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jul 26 2009, 07:06 AM
Post #10

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

oh craps i forgot to put a spoiler tag! er thanks to whoever put it in! sorry sorry!

eeeeeeeee I really wanna' watch this episode! I wonder if RAWS are out yet *goes to look*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Jul 26 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #11

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

Please forgive me again for another Anime1 comparison. Yes, I'm sure you like MangaRoss better, that the manga portrays her better, etc.
But I liked Anime1's portrayal of Maria Ross as the series' honorary cavalry officer. When a character is in trouble, She and Denny Bloch would come to the rescue! 'Mr. Trouble never hangs around when he hears that mighty sound..."Here I come to save the day!" and you'll know Maria Ross is on the way!'
Winry and Schiesza about to be attacked by Sloth? No Need to Fear! Ross and Denny are here!

The Brothers Elric considered fugitives! No Need to Fear! Ross and Denny are here in Reseembol to help them!

The Brothers Tringham ordered to be executed? No Need to Fear! Ross and Denny are here!

Izumi Curtiz coughing up blood before RoboArcher? No Need to Fear! Ross and Denny are here!

Sorry, I just have a thing for females coming to the rescue. Goes way back to the Three Good Fairies in Disney's Sleeping Beauty.

+Quote Post
Hey
post Jul 26 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 62,200

Yeah like other people, I think the Roy in the alley scene could've been at the end of an episode for greater impact, like a cliffhanger. I dunno about anyone else but it felt to me like he was dropping tiny hints about Ross still being alive after that scene..
I preferred the manga's newspaper scene better, since Ed would have more of a reason to anger at Mustang (I mean in the anime he learnt about Hughes's death, but didn't seem to have any reaction towards Mustang between that and the newspaper scene, so it'd be weird to suddenly have him anger at Mustang about that). But it still ended off quite okay.

I really liked the phone flirting scene, ha. Can't wait for the next ep.
(Mustang really sounded like Urahara in that scene, I think xD)

--------------------
DENIAL.

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Jul 26 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #13

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

A few of the cuts were a bit unfortunate (they took out Hawkeye saying Mustang was out and wouldn't be back soon, also Barry knocking out Falman with the phone and stealing Ling's sword) but I was glad that as a whole the majority of this episode was intact, even if it was in a very different order from the manga.

I knew the Ross scene would be in the middle of the episode ever since the titles came out basically and knew it wouldn't feel as effective as the manga but meh, they've had tons of cliffhanger manga moments in the middle of episodes now and it's not going to change, just have to get used to it.

Art was a tad off in the episode but I think this was by the worst team (also done ep 7) so it wasn't too bad considering that.

I'm glad they snuck some of chapter 37 in, it looks like next episode will cover chapter 40, the rest of 37 about half of 41. That leaves episode 19 to focus exclusively on chapters 38 and 39. I'd still rather it was slower pacing for those scenes but at least they're not doing anything crazier than that.

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Jul 26 2009, 04:46 AM) *
- Can we get some new background music for this show at some point? Seriously. There's more variety of music in Lupin III.

I didn't recognise the music in the Armstrong scene near the end, was that maybe new?
I agree though there really needs to be a good few new tracks. Definitely by episode 19 too.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jul 26 2009, 03:16 PM
Post #14

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<PROGRAM NOTE>

Once again, I moved a series of posts because a large portion of these posts were filled with topic content that belongs to other discussion thread. There are many threads in this FMA Brotherhood anime forum where you can talk more about certain discussion topics for the WHOLE SERIES and not about this particular episode. We take a rather great care in trying to create discussion threads in this forum to meet your discussion "needs" on this anime series so that you don't have to discuss these topics on some other threads as OFF-TOPIC content such as this thread which is meant for discussions on CONTENT OF EPISODE 17. Please use these threads and post your discussions there. Some of the examples of these topic discussion threads for the WHOLE SERIES are:

* FMA:Brotherhood anime Art Style discussions.
* FMA:Brotherhood anime Voice Casting (Japanese) discussions.
* FMA:Brotherhood anime Soundtrack and OP/ED songs
* FMA:Brotherhood anime Opening Theme discussions (Visual & Sound)
* FMA:Brotherhood anime Ending Theme discussions (Visual & Sound)
* FMA:Brotherhood anime Discussions on changes from FMA manga

Please make a good use of these discussion threads. smile.gif

@Radadinator, mellulah, & rzerox21xx, I moved your posts with huge proportion of "off-topic rant," as you call them, to the right thread, Discussions on changes from manga FMA where you can talk about that as ON-Topic discussion, whereas those did NOT belong here because they were NOT about the content of episode 17 and hence creating detractions on this thread. Below are parts of your post content that are actually discussing about episode 17 and hence did not get removed to the other thread.

* Also, for the parts that were moved to the correct thread, I took out HUGE quote pyramids you were adding to the posts that were being necessitated precisely because you were discussing those as OFF-TOPIC content on the thread where your discussion did not belong to. Please post these on the correct thread, and WITHOUT making these huge quote pyramids. smile.gif

<Portion of post that is actually about the content of episode 17 and hence on-topic, split from Radadinator's post that was moved to "Missed scenes" discussion thread.>
QUOTE ([b]Radadinator[/b] @ Jul 26 2009, 03:12 PM) *
I still need to watch this episode, but the screenshots look good, and I'm looking forward to...what, Episode 19? Is that the one with the fight?

<Portion of post that is actually about the content of episode 17 and hence on-topic, split from mellulah's post that was moved to "Missed scenes" discussion thread that is actually about the content of epiosde 17 and hence on-topic.>

QUOTE (mellulah @ Jul 26 2009, 03:27 PM) *
Any I liked some of this episodes background work. I mean the lighting in the alley was beautiful and atmospheric. I think the order switch hasn't done much damage and I suppose they don't want Roy to seem like and [All hail lord Xenu] for too long.

And just another thought...how can anyone hate Envy with the cute little faces he was pulling this episode! I mean you can't despise something that looks that adorable. I mean sure theres the mass murdering and killing.. laugh.gif anyway I still wanted to give him a hug this episode.

<Portion of post that is actually about the content of episode 17 and hence on-topic, split from rzerox21xx's post that was moved to "Missed scenes" discussion thread that are actually about the content of epiosde 17 and hence on-topic.>
QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ Jul 26 2009, 03:55 PM) *
I love this episode, they did a good job and I like the music in this series. I don't see the bad about this, most animes I seen always repeat the same piece over in each episode. Let the series progress and become better.

Please try not to make posts that are largely filled with discussions that belong to other discussion thread. Please post these OFF-TOPIC part of discussions on the correct thread, and try to post only the discussions that belong to this thread. Thank you. smile.gif

=============

~ Thank you, and now please continue discussions on the CONTENT of EPISODE 17. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Serb Alchemist
post Jul 26 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 69,818

I have [Eclipse] sub. 17th episode,... If anyone wants it, I he can ask me by message, and I will give him the link... cool.gif

--------------------
Kosovo is Serbia, Our Holly Land!!!!

Oh Serbia our mother, do not grieve.
Call us, just call us
All the falcons will
Give their life for you!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2016 - 01:30 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css