Project Fma, Let your inner writer out.
Aribelle
post Aug 12 2009, 01:47 AM
Post #61

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 68,646

@Broken Chouchou - you can ask kkg what's easiest for her at this point ^^

@Causmicfire - I'm indenting on my chapter as I'm writing it in Word (just out of habit), but just for the sake of not having to use a bunch of forum code to indent I personally am okay without the indentations ahaha. I don't feel too strongly one way or the other, so unless anyone really wants things indented I'm just as happy to leave them out.

And yeah, there is a lot of content in each chapter! The other day I'd spent a while working on mine and realized I had only gotten through 10 pages or so ^^;

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Causmicfire
post Aug 12 2009, 03:10 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 49,283

QUOTE (Aribelle @ Aug 12 2009, 01:47 AM) *
And yeah, there is a lot of content in each chapter! The other day I'd spent a while working on mine and realized I had only gotten through 10 pages or so ^^;

Exactly what I mean!

Oddly, I thought the Scar, Ed, Al encounter in ch. 6 was going to take me longer to write than it did, but once it got to the actual fighting, it was quick, quick, quick...now to go nitpick at it...how is it only 11 pages!?!

I think this project is going to get everyone working on it thinking more and more on little details we may not have noticed before. XD

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post Aug 12 2009, 06:37 AM
Post #63

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 68,640

QUOTE (Aribelle @ Aug 11 2009, 11:20 PM) *
I think we should try to use it, it would make things easier than having to send someone a PM, then transferring that to Word, then re-sending a PM...etc. I have a gmail account too, actually I have a couple for different things lol and they're very easy to make. I'm not very familiar with how the docs feature works though, so I'm playing around with it now...but yeah, if we could get everyone to use it I think it would make things a lot easier. People could upload documents and send them to you or another editor, and you can edit it right there and send it to whoever will be posting it in the thread.

Yeah, I'm playing around with it right now too, and it seems to work pretty well tongue.gif Question though: who's going to post the chapters? I guess it'd be fair for each writer to post his/her own piece, right?

@Broken Chouchou: If you have a google account, go ahead and send a link to me once you upload the chapter to google docs smile.gif

Haha, indentations don't matter that much, it still reads the same laugh.gif

EDIT: While reading through Causmicfire's draft, I realized we have some other minor terms to agree on. For starters, Fullmetal! XD Is it two words, or one? Or should we write it as FullMetal? And something else: Are we including any Japanese words at all? Nii-san and Sensei would change to Brother and Teacher.

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
hand-made-city
post Aug 12 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #64

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,054

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Aug 12 2009, 09:37 AM) *
EDIT: While reading through Causmicfire's draft, I realized we have some other minor terms to agree on. For starters, Fullmetal! XD Is it two words, or one? Or should we write it as FullMetal? And something else: Are we including any Japanese words at all? Nii-san and Sensei would change to Brother and Teacher.

THAT is a very good point. I'm fine with either the Japanese terms or the English, to be honest. But for uniformity, we'll need to stick to one. And then there's rentanjutsu... I know renkinjutsu translates into alchemy, but what about that other term for the Xingese alchemy? I've never seen it translated before..

And for the record, I usually write it as Fullmetal.. and I also don't use indentations when I'm writing. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Causmicfire
post Aug 12 2009, 09:48 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 49,283

Because I was going from Viz's translation and only referencing scanlations where terms were confusing, I completely forgot about the word changes.

I wouldn't mind if we used the Nii-san & Sensei, or Brother and Teacher...maybe we could keep asking around, and I'll make changes to what I wrote as we get more comments.

As hand-made-city mentioned, rentanjutsu is a strange one...I know I personally pulled a wtf? face when I saw Funi's translation of alkehestry(or however they spell it) in their dubs.

Goodness, how exactly to describe Envy...

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post Aug 12 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #66

QUOTE (Causmicfire @ Aug 12 2009, 12:48 PM) *
Goodness, how exactly to describe Envy...

Ha, I think you did a great job of describing him biggrin.gif Since it was his first appearence, it makes sense to say what he looks like.

Personally, I think it might be better to use the English versions of Brother and Teacher, because Ed and Al live in an English speaking world and it wouldn't make sense for them to suddenly speak Japanese. We'll see what everyone else thinks. About rentanjutsu...uh, I guess we can use Funi's term to keep it separate from Western alchemy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Aug 12 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 55,758

QUOTE (Causmicfire @ Aug 12 2009, 01:27 AM) *
So, I was wondering about formatting. Should we indent paragraphs?

Gahh! Okay, I really need a few extra english lessons.

What. The. Heck does it mean to indent a text?

I've been having some thoughts about formatting too. I'm not used to writing english in Word; apart from doing an essay here and there I'm a total n00b. And when I've written in english, it hasn't been fiction or stories, containing dialouge between people, so I'm not exactly sure how to use the quotation marks ( " ) - "system". When writing in my first language, we use "dialouge lines" instead, and I'm not sure if I need to adjust the structure of my text to make it fit. I don't know.

@kkg221004: No, I don't have a google mail account, but I guess I could create one.

Anyway, regarding the things above: maybe I could send you, say, the first two pages of my draft (via PM for now) and have you check through it and tell me if everything seems okay?
smile.gif

And regarding the english/japanese terms, I definitely think we should go with the english ones. And as for rentanjustu... I don't know if this is a translation per se, or just another term, but I recall it being referred to as "rendanshu" in one of Viz's translations.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing. I'm kinda wondering whether to write it as Fullmetal Alchemist, with capitals in both parts of the title, or just to have it as Fullmeal alchemist (stupid question, possible. But hey, who said I was smart?)

Also, should we use capitals when using terms like "State Alchemist" (and others similiar to that) considering that it is a title?

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post Aug 12 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #68

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Aug 12 2009, 01:55 PM) *

What. The. Heck, does it mean to indent a text?

I've been having some thoughts about formatting too. I'm not used to writing english in Word; apart from doing an essay here and there I'm a total n00b. And when I've written in english, it hasn't been fiction or stories, containing dialouge between people, so I'm not exactly sure how to use the quotation marks ( " ) - "system". When writing in my first language, we use "dialouge lines" instead, and I'm not sure if I need to adjust the structure of my text to make it fit. I don't know.

@kkg221004: No, I don't have a google mail account, bút I guess I could create one.

Anyway, regarding the things above: maybe I could send you, say, the first two pages om my draft (via PM for now) and have you check through it and tell me if everything seems okay?
smile.gif

Indent is that extra space in front when you start a new paragraph. If you press "Tab" on your keyboard, it sets it up for you smile.gif

Yeah, it's very simple to create a gmail account, and it's easy to use too. Sure, that's fine! happy.gif And just out of curiosity, what's your first language?

EDIT: Ah, more terms XD I would capitalize both words in titles, as well as for other titles like the Flame Alchemist, etc tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Aug 12 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #69

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Aug 12 2009, 11:01 AM) *
Indent is that extra space in front when you start a new paragraph. If you press "Tab" on your keyboard, it sets it up for you smile.gif

Oh, so that's what that is. That is exactly the main problem I've been struggling with! Reading books in english there's always a small gap when descriptive text changes to dialouge. That was exactly what I was wondering about how I should do. Thanks a lot! Now it'll be a piece of cake smile.gif

Yeah, it's very simple to create a gmail account, and it's easy to use too. Sure, that's fine! happy.gif And just out of curiosity, what's your first language?

Swedish xP

EDIT: Ah, more terms XD I would capitalize both words in titles, as well as for other titles like the Flame Alchemist, etc tongue.gif

Ok. Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Aug 12 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #70

QUOTE (hand-made-city @ Aug 12 2009, 08:58 AM) *
THAT is a very good point. I'm fine with either the Japanese terms or the English, to be honest. But for uniformity, we'll need to stick to one. And then there's rentanjutsu... I know renkinjutsu translates into alchemy, but what about that other term for the Xingese alchemy? I've never seen it translated before..

And for the record, I usually write it as Fullmetal.. and I also don't use indentations when I'm writing. smile.gif

I say "Fullmetal" too...and that's the way I've seen it written most (although Google always seems to want to change it to "Full Metal" XD)

QUOTE (Causmicfire @ Aug 12 2009, 09:48 AM) *
Because I was going from Viz's translation and only referencing scanlations where terms were confusing, I completely forgot about the word changes.

I wouldn't mind if we used the Nii-san & Sensei, or Brother and Teacher...maybe we could keep asking around, and I'll make changes to what I wrote as we get more comments.

As hand-made-city mentioned, rentanjutsu is a strange one...I know I personally pulled a wtf? face when I saw Funi's translation of alkehestry(or however they spell it) in their dubs.

Yeah, it took me a minute to realize what they were talking about with "alkehestry"...I like rentanjutsu just because I think the word sounds prettier laugh.gif and I think if we kept it with that translation it would be plausible because theoretically everyone from Xing might speak another language...what do you all think?

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Aug 12 2009, 10:17 AM) *
Personally, I think it might be better to use the English versions of Brother and Teacher, because Ed and Al live in an English speaking world and it wouldn't make sense for them to suddenly speak Japanese. We'll see what everyone else thinks. About rentanjutsu...uh, I guess we can use Funi's term to keep it separate from Western alchemy.

I agree about Brother and Teacher vs. Nii-san and Sensei...it does make sense to keep the English words for the reason you just said.

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Aug 12 2009, 10:55 AM) *
QUOTE (Causmicfire @ Aug 12 2009, 01:27 AM) *
So, I was wondering about formatting. Should we indent paragraphs?

What. The. Heck does it mean to indent a text?

@kkg221004: No, I don't have a google mail account, bút I guess I could create one.

Anyway, regarding the things above: maybe I could send you, say, the first two pages of my draft (via PM for now) and have you check through it and tell me if everything seems okay?
smile.gif

And regarding the english/japanese terms, I definetly think we should go with the english ones. And as for rentanjustu... I don't know if this is a translation per se, or just another term, but I recall it being referred to as "rendanshu" in one of Viz's translations.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing. I'm kinda wondering whether to write it as Fullmetal Alchemist, with capitals in both parts of the title, or just to have it as Fullmeal alchemist (stupid question, possible. But hey, who said I was smart?)

Also, should we use capitals when using terms like "State Alchemist" (and others similiar to that) considering that it is a title?

Here is a website that has a lot of good tips for dialogue formatting in the English language if you want to reference it ^^

I think we should have it Fullmetal Alchemist - both capitalized. And State Alchemist seems like it should be capitalized as well, since the State Alchemist system seems like it would be a proper noun...but I was wondering about that too :/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Aug 12 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #71

QUOTE (Aribelle @ Aug 12 2009, 11:18 AM) *
I think if we kept it with that translation it would be plausible because theoretically everyone from Xing might speak another language...what do you all think?

Yeah, that'll be perfeclty fine with me. Even works pretty good, you know, sense-making-wise.

QUOTE (Aribelle @ Aug 12 2009, 11:18 AM) *
Here is a website that has a lot of good tips for dialogue formatting in the English language if you want to reference it ^^

Nice, thanks! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Aug 12 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #72

I have another question - are you all adding in the dialogue exactly as it is from the manga? Or are you re-wording it a little?

Also, on that note, we should include credit for whoever's translations we're using lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
hand-made-city
post Aug 12 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #73

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE (Aribelle @ Aug 12 2009, 02:42 PM) *
I have another question - are you all adding in the dialogue exactly as it is from the manga? Or are you re-wording it a little?

Also, on that note, we should include credit for whoever's translations we're using lol

Oh yes! Speaking of translations we'll be using, how will we know if it's an accurate translation? If we don't speak Japanese fluently, then I guess there's no way for us to know. So will this be overlooked, since we can't do much about it? I know Tombow has gone over things like this concerning a bad translation in chapter 95 (and it drove him crazy tongue.gif ) I think credit for the translation should be added at the end of the chapters. It's only proper to credit whoever did that translation, I think.

I primarily read FMA on onemanga.. so I'll probably use whatever translation is on there if I can't find another one..

--------------------

+Quote Post
DistantBlue
post Aug 12 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #74

Alchemists

Member No.: 67,766

Well, as for translations and stuff, I have all the Viz volumes 1-19, which are all that are out now, so that's what I use. Also, I keep the dialogue the same as the manga about 90% of the time. I only change or subtract things to make it more fluent when people read it, and never add anything.

Also, starting August 20, in about a week, I will no longer be able to come on as often. I am forbidden from the computer until Friday afternoons to Sunday mornings. Sunday evenings through Thursday you will not see me. sad.gif

And since I always type my chapters, I will be behind a bit on that, but as for the covers, I have a sketchbook and a scanner, so I should be on top of that.

Hopefully, my curfew won't last longer than a few months. >.<

--------------------

QUOTE (Alzea @ Jul 16 2009, 07:49 AM) *
DistantBlue, I just can see this, demotivational poster:
Observation skillzShe haz them

+Quote Post
hand-made-city
post Aug 12 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #75

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE (DistantBlue @ Aug 12 2009, 08:33 PM) *
Also, starting August 20, in about a week, I will no longer be able to come on as often. I am forbidden from the computer until Friday afternoons to Sunday mornings. Sunday evenings through Thursday you will not see me. sad.gif

And since I always type my chapters, I will be behind a bit on that, but as for the covers, I have a sketchbook and a scanner, so I should be on top of that.

Hopefully, my curfew won't last longer than a few months. >.<

Ohhh great art leader, we shall miss you! Good thing you have your sketchbook!

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 11:45 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css