Project Fma, Let your inner writer out.
DistantBlue
post Aug 4 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #16

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,766

1) Definitely. I would love to help. biggrin.gif

2) I'd gladly proofread and check for consistency as well as write.

3) Manga, plz. smile.gif

4) Well, one way we could do it is for the people we have so far to write, say, 3 entire chapters (IMO, I think it would be a bit difficult for people to pick from chapters and have other people fill in the rest) from chapters of our choice, but have 5 in mind in case someone else really wants to do the same ones (say, for me, it could be 39, 97, and 70, and then my backup would be 72 and 94). That way we'd get to write the chapters we're really eager to write.

But after we write those three, you Aribelle would assign us three chapters to write from the chronological order (ex, someone would be given 1-3, I would be given 4-6, and so on), just so we get ALL the chapters written and not just the ones people want to do.

BTW, And your proposed organization plan sounds solid to me. smile.gif

Also, I hope I don't sound bossy or picky or anything about my little idea! I think this is a great project, and I just wanted to contribute an idea so that we'd be able to do the chapters we REALLY SUPER BADLY want to do, along with the others (they all sound fun to write, tho!). biggrin.gif

SQUEEE I REALLY WANT TO WRITE NOW. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Scratch the 'assigning'. I like your above idea of throwing out five chapters at a time and so on. biggrin.gif

--------------------

QUOTE (Alzea @ Jul 16 2009, 07:49 AM) *
DistantBlue, I just can see this, demotivational poster:
Observation skillzShe haz them

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Aug 4 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #17

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 68,646

QUOTE (DistantBlue @ Aug 4 2009, 03:21 PM) *
2) I'd gladly proofread and check for consistency as well as write.

Awesome! For that I'll have you talk to kkg22104, since she's our head editor, and she can let you know what she needs help with smile.gif

QUOTE (DistantBlue @ Aug 4 2009, 03:21 PM) *
4) Well, one way we could do it is for the people we have so far to write, say, 3 entire chapters (IMO, I think it would be a bit difficult for people to pick from chapters and have other people fill in the rest) from chapters of our choice, but have 5 in mind in case someone else really wants to do the same ones (say, for me, it could be 39, 97, and 70, and then my backup would be 72 and 94). That way we'd get to write the chapters we're really eager to write.

The only reason I don't want to let people choose future chapters quite yet is because then some of the earlier ones might get neglected. However, I also do know that some people really have their heart set on chapters that I haven't put up to be claimed yet, and I do want to try my best to accommodate that. Here's what propose (and this is completely up for discussion - I'd love to hear your ideas):

People who wish to reserve a future chapter can do so once every seven days, and once the group of chapters that contains the one you reserved is up for grabs, you have first dibs on it for 3 days (or some other reasonable amount of time), and if you don't claim it within that time or you change your mind it will go to someone else.

So, for example, I could reserve chapter 67 now, and then when chapters 66-70 are up for grabs I'd have 3 days to confirm that I still want it.

We can also have a waiting list of sorts, so if there's a really popular chapter reserved by more than one person, and the first person who reserved it backs out it'll go to the next, and so forth.

What do you guys think? I would like to come up with some sort of system for doing this that lets people get what they want but that also safeguards against entire strings of chapters getting monopolized lol.

And just to clarify - to claim something would be to request the chapter when it comes up (like 1-5 are now) and to reserve would be to request a later chapter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DistantBlue
post Aug 5 2009, 07:34 AM
Post #18

Alchemists

Member No.: 67,766

The only reason I don't want to let people choose future chapters quite yet is because then some of the earlier ones might get neglected. However, I also do know that some people really have their heart set on chapters that I haven't put up to be claimed yet, and I do want to try my best to accommodate that. Here's what propose (and this is completely up for discussion - I'd love to hear your ideas):

People who wish to reserve a future chapter can do so once every seven days, and once the group of chapters that contains the one you reserved is up for grabs, you have first dibs on it for 3 days (or some other reasonable amount of time), and if you don't claim it within that time or you change your mind it will go to someone else.

So, for example, I could reserve chapter 67 now, and then when chapters 66-70 are up for grabs I'd have 3 days to confirm that I still want it.

Yeah, that makes sense. That's where my idea of you assigning chapters to us came in, with the fear of other chapters getting forgotten and unwritten, but I saw your idea of throwing out five chapters at a time and then claiming one.

Okay, so until next Wednesday, I can only reserve one chapter? Got it....so, could I reserve Ch. 94? I've looked over all five I've chosen and that's the one I'd like to write the most. (Even though I won't be writing it for a while, LOL).

We can also have a waiting list of sorts, so if there's a really popular chapter reserved by more than one person, and the first person who reserved it backs out it'll go to the next, and so forth.

What do you guys think? I would like to come up with some sort of system for doing this that lets people get what they want but that also safeguards against entire strings of chapters getting monopolized lol.

And just to clarify - to claim something would be to request the chapter when it comes up (like 1-5 are now) and to reserve would be to request a later chapter.

I like the waiting list, and the whole system. Seems like it will work out great! biggrin.gif

--------------------

QUOTE (Alzea @ Jul 16 2009, 07:49 AM) *
DistantBlue, I just can see this, demotivational poster:
Observation skillzShe haz them

+Quote Post
hand-made-city
post Aug 5 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #19

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,054

I was just briefed on this by DistantBlue, and I'm really interested in helping out! Not sure what I'll be able to do, but when the time comes, I'd love to be able to write for chapter 50. But anyway, I'll watch this thread and help out where I can!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Aug 5 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 55,758

I feel redundant. I don't feel there's anything I can contribute with when it comes to organizing this, you guys are already doing such a great job biggrin.gif And this "claiming & reserving"- system seems good to me.

The only idea I have to come with is this: If we are in fact attempting to do a novelization, I feel we should adjust our work to actually fit a real novel. I am mostly talking about chapter divisioning. Having about a 100 shorter chapters feels a little inconvenient for a novel. So what if we would be to take, say, 3-5 chapters and put them together into a "big" chapter?

Example: Let's say I novelize the first two chapters of the story, and Dearheart the two chapters after that. Then we (or kkg22104, our main editor) take(s) our four chapters and mesh them togehter into a larger one, with a fitting chapter title. Of course, if the stories in these particular chapters would vary too much from one to another for the entire "big" chapter to feel consistent, you could perhaps have some sort of interludes, or split it into different parts of the particular meshed chapter in question.

Example 2:

Chapters 1 and 2 of the manga, The Two Alchemists and The Price of Life, could make one part (seeing how the story int those two chapters follow eachother directly), possibly entitled Chapter 1, part 1: "Ed and Al goes adventuring in Liore!" (well, obviuosly someone would have to think of a better name, that was just an example..)

Then Chapter 3 of the manga, The Mining town, could probably do as a single part on it's own, considering the following chapter has a totally different plot device. Or, if some dedicated soul feels like merging those two completely different chapters into one part of the main, big, novel-chapter, and is able to make it work, then that'd be fine too of course.

Just thought of something else (crap, this is getting complicated):

If I write a particular chapter, and somebody else writes the one directly after, it might be a good idea to split those two chapters into two different parts, within the main big chapter, even if we are dealing with two manga chapters that are direclyl connected. The reason? Different people have different writing styles, and if suddenly one style would jump to another completely different, that'd probably be a bit confusing for anyone reading. So I guess the best would be to have every part of the main chapter credited to the person who wrote it, and not to have two different people's novelizations of manga chapters included in the same part of the main big novel chapter.

WOW, I don't know if I'm making any sense. At all. I'm tired, so if I'm being inane/weird/stupid/redundant (deja-vu!), PLEASE, tell me so right away. Give it to me. Slap me in the face and shout it out loud, maybe that'd wake me up from the mental comatose I feel like I'm currently in xD

ANY-EFFING-WAY, I'm gonna try and collect my thoughts in an attempt to wrap this up.

Too many short chapters = not good. Fewer, longer, more evenely paced/adjusted chapters = good!

Fewer, longer chapters divided into different parts, depending on who wrote what and how much = good. A certain part written by a certain person should be credited to said person in beginning of said part.

Title for big, main chapter (the one including the several, shorter parts, Chapter 1, part 1 etc.) should be a uniform title reflecting the contents of the chapter.

THERE. I think that's all I wanted said.

Oh, man. Hope anyone understands what this overly redundant ramble was all about. I barely do myself. My brain is worn out from working, not sleeping, and being in frickin love.

Also, I guess being a teenager and all that comes with it doesn't really help with the smarts.

---

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Aug 4 2009, 12:15 PM) *
*giggles at ChouChou* Awesome, chapter 1! Squeeee!! *bounces* And while we're on the topic...would you mind much if I just did pages 15-18? Or would you rather just do the whole chapter? I don't mind either way. It's a cool scene; if you really want to do that part yourself, I totally understand. biggrin.gif (And sorry if I'm butting in too much or anything! I'm not trying to hog all the good stuff! Really!) blush.gif

I'm flipping and re-flipping through those pages, and can't really see what's so special about it. Are you referring to the scene where Rose asks Cornello when he'll be able to bring her boyfriend back?

Anyway, as DistantBlue said, I think it'd be best to do one whole chapter on your own, and not just do a couple of pages here and there, to keep complications to a minimum. Besides, I would really feel more satisfied with doing it myself smile.gif

Sorry x]

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Aug 4 2009, 03:50 PM) *
Hey, I have a suggestion...and sorry if I'm just pointing out the obvious here or if no one else agrees; I'm just throwing this out there, just in case... blush.gif As we all know, Arakawa has a wonderfully wacky sense of humor. biggrin.gif Most of the comedy is in silly cartoonish visuals, and it's part of what makes FMA so much fun. wink.gif One of the difficulties we'll have to work with while novelizing it is adapting that humor into novel format. (Again, sorry if I'm just pointing out the obvious here.) I suggest that when we come to parts like that (Ed's short rants, for instance), let's try to make them work in a way that still brings out the delicious humor, but doesn't go TOO over-the-top. When I read a funny part in a book, I want it to be clever and make sense with what the rest of the story's put in my head. Um...am I making sense at all? XD

And this is just my opinion. If no one else agrees... *shrugs* That's cool. smile.gif

I completely agree. But seeing as everybody will have different takes and interpretions of certain events, or in some cases the overall story, I think it should be up to each author to do as he wishes. That said, I still think we could at least TRY and make the funny parts actually funny, without going overboard with it all by exaggerating, or using too immature jokes. As you said, book-humor is more often clever than the direct visual humor you get out of comics, for an example. And I'm convinced that can be done with FMA, "converting" the crazy hilarious visual Arakawa-humor into something a little more sober, and realistic, and kind of well thought-out.

Or so.

And with that, I bid you goodnight. I'm out. Gonna go lie down on the couch for a while.

Sleep away some stupidness.

Just one, final, last thing. Aribelle, I'd like to claim chapter 1 & 2 (if possible) and reserve chapter 30.

Now I can black out safely smile.gif

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Aug 5 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #21

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

nyah, hello! this sounds really cool, i was wondering if i would be able to do chapter 53? pweeeeeeeese? thankyouuu

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Aug 5 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (DistantBlue @ Aug 5 2009, 07:34 AM) *
Okay, so until next Wednesday, I can only reserve one chapter? Got it....so, could I reserve Ch. 94? I've looked over all five I've chosen and that's the one I'd like to write the most. (Even though I won't be writing it for a while, LOL).

Okay smile.gif

QUOTE (hand-made-city @ Aug 5 2009, 11:45 AM) *
I was just briefed on this by DistantBlue, and I'm really interested in helping out! Not sure what I'll be able to do, but when the time comes, I'd love to be able to write for chapter 50. But anyway, I'll watch this thread and help out where I can!

Awesome! We're glad to have you with us ^^ I'll put you down as having reserved chapter 50.

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Aug 5 2009, 12:04 PM) *
I feel redundant. I don't feel there's anything I can contribute with when it comes to organizing this, you guys are already doing such a great job biggrin.gif And this "claiming & reserving"- system seems good to me.

The only idea I have to come with is this: If we are in fact attempting to do a novelization, I feel we should adjust our work to actually fit a real novel. I am mostly talking about chapter divisioning. Having about a 100 shorter chapters feels a little inconvenient for a novel. So what if we would be to take, say, 3-5 chapters and put them together into a "big" chapter?

I think what we're going to do is release them as volumes (so our first "chapter" will contain all the chapters in volume one). We can use linebreaks, spaces, and other formatting to distinguish between parts where one events ends and another begins.

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Aug 4 2009, 03:50 PM) *
Hey, I have a suggestion...and sorry if I'm just pointing out the obvious here or if no one else agrees; I'm just throwing this out there, just in case... blush.gif As we all know, Arakawa has a wonderfully wacky sense of humor. biggrin.gif Most of the comedy is in silly cartoonish visuals, and it's part of what makes FMA so much fun. wink.gif One of the difficulties we'll have to work with while novelizing it is adapting that humor into novel format. (Again, sorry if I'm just pointing out the obvious here.) I suggest that when we come to parts like that (Ed's short rants, for instance), let's try to make them work in a way that still brings out the delicious humor, but doesn't go TOO over-the-top. When I read a funny part in a book, I want it to be clever and make sense with what the rest of the story's put in my head. Um...am I making sense at all? XD

And this is just my opinion. If no one else agrees... *shrugs* That's cool. smile.gif

Yes definitely - Everyone has their own writing style, so I'm sure everyone will try their best to get her humor across smile.gif

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Aug 5 2009, 12:04 PM) *
Just one, final, last thing. Aribelle, I'd like to claim chapter 1 & 2 (if possible) and reserve chapter 30.

Okay. I've got you down for chapter one already and I'll add you as chapter two, and I'll see that you get 30 reserved smile.gif

@Forsaken Love - yes, you can reserve that one ^^

To make this process easier, I'm going to create a separate thread only for claiming and reserving chapters. We'll still use this thread as a place where everyone can share ideas/ask questions/discuss rules though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Aug 5 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #23

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

yay! thanks, *starts writing*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Aug 5 2009, 01:36 PM
Post #24

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,903

I'm flipping and re-flipping through those pages, and can't really see what's so special about it. Are you referring to the scene where Rose asks Cornello when he'll be able to bring her boyfriend back?

Anyway, as DistantBlue said, I think it'd be best to do one whole chapter on your own, and not just do a couple of pages here and there, to keep complications to a minimum. Besides, I would really feel more satisfied with doing it myself

I was actually referring to the part when Ed rattles off the elements that make up a human body. I've always liked that scene, for some reason. smile.gif But yeah, I totally understand. It's cool. And you're totally right; mixing writing styles probably wouldn't work very well. tongue.gif Anyway, can't wait to see what you do with it! I'm so excited to see what everyone has up their sleeves!

Okay...could I please reserve chapters 17-19 (aka the Rush Valley arc, aka "A Thesis on Why Winry Is Awesome")? biggrin.gif I know it's not everyone's favorite part of the manga, but I personally love it. Winry's one of my favorite characters; I'd love to do that part. smile.gif Or are we not allowed to reserve/claim more than one chapter? Sorry if that's the case! If we're only allowed to grab one, it's fine. smile.gif

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Aug 5 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #25

We're allowed to reserve one chapter per 7 days, so I'll put you down for 17 smile.gif

Also - ANNOUNCEMENT! - here is the claim and reserve thread. Everyone please make all requests in that thread, and we'll keep this one for discussion/questions smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Aug 5 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #26

Gotcha. smile.gif

I have a question, actually. (Screw being tired, I'm eager too start writing)

I'm wondering about how to best portrait Liore. Should it be in a deserty climate, as in the first series, or is it more of a little rural town out on the countryside?

I have no idea what the official manga - version of Liore is like. Anybody here
does?

Help much appreciated smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post Aug 5 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #27

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 68,640

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Aug 5 2009, 05:21 PM) *
I'm wondering about how to best portrait Liore. Should it be in a deserty climate, as in the first series, or is it more of a little rural town out on the countryside?

I have no idea what the official manga-version of Liore is like. Anybody here does?

Er, to be honest, I'm not too sure myself. XD I suppose it's your choice as the author, if Liore seems to fit as a desert to you then write it that way. Or do whatever you think is convenient as long as the rest of it still fits with the manga. biggrin.gif Can't wait to read your first chapters, Chouchou! smile.gif (Is that what I should call you? tongue.gif)

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Aug 5 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #28

Ok. Well.. kinda tough making that decision, I can picture Liore either way, but I don't know which verison I like better ^^'

And sure, you can call me that, I mean, I've become painfully aware that Chouchou is in fact the the name of a series of baby dolls... That was not what I had in mind when coming up with the name, but whatever... x)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Aug 5 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #29

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,903

Hmm...I actually never pictured Liore as a "little rural town". I mean, if you look at pictures like these (1, 2, 3), you can see off in the distance that it's a pretty big city with lots of tall buildings. Maybe not like New York City, but still... biggrin.gif Just thought I'd point that out.

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Aug 5 2009, 04:05 PM
Post #30

Ok, thanks. Yea, I've never really pictured Liore as "little" either, I was just trying to make a comparison. As seen in some shots from Brotherhood, it definetly feels more like it's out on the countryside, and the color scales of the buildings range from cream to blue and pink, and the whole feeling you get is like you'd be walking through a pretty town with nice houses, green, lush trees and possibly a little canal or something ^^

Or maybe that's just me.. x)

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 06:03 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css