HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 15: Envoy From The East - Content Discussion Thread, Caution! Spoilers for the first 15 episodes!
Kale Mustang
post Jul 15 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #46

Major General

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,527

How interesting it took Eclipse that long to come out with their subs...ah well, Funi's are tomorrow, and I'm much happier with those.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Jul 15 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #47

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

TMD-ASU translated the "rantanjutsu" as "alchestry" or something to that nature. seems like a good translation to me but we'll see what funimation does.

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Jul 15 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #48

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

I'm not huge on the Xingese characters. They've always felt just a little out of place in Fullmetal Alchemist. They're more like souped up Naruto characters to me, and Naruto is mindless action, whereas FMA is dramatic and a bit more mature and complex than the average shonen manga, even though it includes the sort of "plot device action" you see in some others. Not to mention, Ling especially, becomes a bit of a spotlight stealer, without having anything worthwhile going for him that the other characters don't already have. Most of the time, I just think of him as a more level-headed Edward. Still, they do bring a lot of interesting action to the table, so I'm looking forward to more combat.

For some reason, I didn't believe the Joliot Comanche fight as much as I did in the manga. I guess animated, I can see right away how silly it was. The guy's spinning around like a top, like something in a lesser shonen title. Come on, I can only suspend my belief so much during an action sequence. At least he died right away. I guess they put this earlier on in the show than in the manga because they wanted to keep Scar relevant, the same with him meeting May so soon.

Another thing that bothered me is that, especially during the fight with Edward and Ranfan, the music was so inappropriate for a fight scene. It felt like that piece should be used during dramatic revelations or in the background at the end of the program when a character is about to go do something dangerous or evil. It's really not "fight music". And it wouldn't kill Bones to ask for a new piece of music now and then from the person in charge of the music.

What I did like was the little geography lesson we got, which really helped establish the world of FMA. If the Xingese characters do one thing right, it's helping to expand the world the story takes place in. That was an issue with the first series, that everything felt so isolated, you only ever got a reference to another country once, and I don't think anyone ever even said "Amestris" once when referring to the country it was taking place in. This is where Arakawa's work shines, in establishing a setting.

I welcome the new voices to the mix. I thought they all fit well. Mr. Garfiel even sounded like I expected.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Jul 15 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #49

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

I liked how Ling, Ranfan, Fuu, May, and Garfield sounded. I think that Miyano Mamoru (sp?) is a good fit for Ling. He seems to have a good range. He has played characters like Tamaki from Ouran, to Light from Death Note. So I think he can be serious Ling and fun Ling.

I did like the episode. The fight scenes were very accurate to the manga. But I was disappointed that the Roy jealousy scene was cut. Also they should have shown Roy ordering Falman to watch Barry.

I don't know why but I liked this Yoki quote about Scar's name. "You must have a pretty name." Makes me wonder if Scar's name will ever be revealed.

Also liked the new opening and ending sequences.

+Quote Post
Red Shrimp
post Jul 15 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #50

Citizen

Member No.: 70,065

Even though some parts have been missing in this episode (and the previous) Bones still manage to come up with an alternative. Like the part where Ling shakes his body and tells the people of Rush Valley that he doesn't understand what they're talking about [LOL part]. Although I think it could had been better if they added the part, base from the manga, on how Ed managed to make that trap and how May/Mei entered the story. It seems kind of off when she was suddenly introduced and she knows a certain Edward Elric--- but of course, FMA:B didn't have the Coal Mine part in the previous episodes, I think it was only mentioned by Roy Mustang as part of a report (?)

Xiamese VAs are cool.

spoiler
I wonder how Miyano will be able to voice for when Ling and Greed merges.

--------------------
I'm not small! I just live in a big world goddammit!

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Jul 16 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #51

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

I loved some things, and I hated some things about this episode.

Mei's intro was OK. I liked Xiao Mei if that counts for anything. And Scar's too amazing to hate (please don't make me regret saying this, BONES)

Ling's VA was amazing. You know, Tamaki, Zero, Light...but then there's the fact that he was also Chaoji in D. Gray Man and I get all AHHHH because I hate that character

Barry's scene was terrible. They cut out everything I loved about it. I guess you're expecting me to complain about the RoyAi, but I also hated the other things they cut out. Is Falman even watching him? Because that was one of my fave parts of the manga (so funny!)

BONES, slow down. I am begging you (along with every other person watching the show - NO ONE likes the insane pace!)

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
JoshP1389
post Jul 16 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #52

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 29,359

I guess I'll try to keep up with these discussions as well.

So far I have to say this "true remake" series is an improvement from the first series. We get to see all the characters we read from the manga and admire the charisma and visual personality that BONES and Arakawa herself intended to put into the series. Plus, the animation is buttery smooth and bright and "fresh" which is a nice addition.

My only complaint is that they really have taken out a lot of the small scenes of flashbacks and introductions (i.e. Mei's introduction) that were significant to the story, but it it looks like the producers are, more-of, "condensing" the plot rather than taking things out which is fine, but I'd really want to see the small scenes that make the story so motivating and interesting.

Regarding this episode: it was enjoyable to say the least, as with the previous others. I was really excited to see Ling after last week's preview, and it's great to see him finally in the series! His voice actor gets kudos for getting the voice and personality right, and I'm glad they included my favorite scene from the chapter where he runs off with the "foreigner" excuse! Too bad Garfiel hardly got any airtime (or voicing for that matter), but hopefully we'll get to see more soon!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greensky
post Jul 16 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #53

Apprentice

Member No.: 7,478

I definitely enjoyed this episode! Finally it's starting to seem like a completely new story. I've been waiting for that to happen!

I liked the new opening/ending theme. The vocals on the ending theme were particularly impressive to me.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
^ Cowboy Bebop-----------------^Samurai Champloo

+Quote Post
Radadinator
post Jul 16 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #54

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,706

Oh boy. Didn't they decide to make this series for the sole purpose of milking FMA for all it's worth? So I'm still wondering why they green lighted this when they're not even going to get a nice budget.

But I liked the episode anyways. Wasn't the greatest, but wasn't bad at all.

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Jul 15 2009, 06:00 PM) *
I'm not huge on the Xingese characters. They've always felt just a little out of place in Fullmetal Alchemist. They're more like souped up Naruto characters to me, and Naruto is mindless action, whereas FMA is dramatic and a bit more mature and complex than the average shonen manga, even though it includes the sort of "plot device action" you see in some others.

This is exactly what I think of the Xing characters. They do set up FMA's world, and it does make sense for Ling to be taken over by Greed, since they're so similar, but they never really felt like they fit with the rest of FMA. But I don't really mind them, because...well, they're cool.

QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ Jul 16 2009, 03:39 PM) *
BONES, slow down. I am begging you (along with every other person watching the show - NO ONE likes the insane pace!)

The Naruto fans would like a word with you, lol.
Nah, I appreciate how the pace isn't mind-numbingly slow, but I wish they'd slow down just a little for the sake of development. Then it'd be perfect.

The only other complaint (but more of a nitpick) I have with this episode is that they cut out Mei's awesome Youswell entrance, where she fixed the coal mine. All she did here was close up Scar's paper cut, but I'm sure that she'll get a chance to really show off her retanjutsu? later on.

Man, I guess the new director can't cope with the pressure of something like FMA. Which sucks, because the other series he directed is pretty much the most well-paced and perfect anime I've actually given a chance to.

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Jul 16 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #55

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

All she did here was close up Scar's paper cut, but I'm sure that she'll get a chance to really show off her retanjutsu? later on.

I think the introduction of the other "half" of her alchemy could be even more impressive than in the manga for the non-readers. I mean, what better way to introduce than saving Scar by ridiculizing the brothers who will go "WTF?!?" when she wil use her long-ranged alchemy to help Scar escape.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jul 20 2009, 02:28 PM
Post #56

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Split post content from Zii's post that has been moved for off-topic posting.>
QUOTE (Zii @ Jul 20 2009, 09:56 AM) *
...As for the Xingese characters not fitting in, well... isn't that a given? They're foreigners 8D They give an already yummy series even more flavour. As somebody who isn't much of a fan of Asian themes (screw ninjas, I'm a pirate girl, etc), I still really appreciate them. Mostly because Ling is great for comedy, and he has Tamaki's voice too, that's even better! You can tell I don't read/watch this specifically for the drama or complexity >>

========

<Program Note>

QUOTE (Zii @ Jul 20 2009, 09:56 AM) *
...and I'll get thwacked for more OTness), there's more than one official English manga translation: what we get in Australia/Oceania (Chuang Yi)....

@Zii - That's fine.. I went ahead and moved your post and related posts that are talking about the name for the Xing Alchemy to Xing Alchemy thread. Especially, now we know that Vagrant has been all along asking about how it's called in manga FMA, and so that makes this series of posts way too off topic for this thread. Please continue the discussions on Xine Alchemy,. including how it's called in various translations, etc., on that thread. smile.gif

==============

~ Thank you, and now please resume discussions on the contents of episode 15. biggrin.gif

------

ETA: May 23, 2010
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 15 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post May 22 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #57

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

Thanks for bumping this, I almost forgot it was coming on!

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post May 22 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #58

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

I can't watch for 3 more hours. I just wanna know how the opening is! What was cut from it?

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post May 22 2010, 09:32 PM
Post #59

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,581

EdoxWin automail moments. nuff said

The va for Mei wasn't EXACTLY as I imagined, but it wans't some kid, I guess I'm used to the tone of voice of the japanese VA for Mei

Ling's VA was pompus (his character) but idk, he sounded too feminine..but then again, that's just me. Too much bounce in his step

Fu and RanFan were pretty good VAs imo. Maxey and Edward did not disappoint, but Barry the chopper really took command, i've always liked the VA for him

I'm detesting Scar's VA though =\

Overall the episode was very entertaining.

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

[credit goes to Aquarina :D]

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post May 22 2010, 09:34 PM
Post #60

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

QUOTE (deet-tastic @ May 23 2010, 12:03 AM) *
I can't watch for 3 more hours. I just wanna know how the opening is! What was cut from it?

Opening... they basically chopped off the first half of the song, so the visuals don't really fit .

I liked the new voices for Lanfan and Fuu, and Monica Rial was, well, Monica Rial as May...

But Todd Haberkorn sounded really weird as Ling. Very high pitched and nasal. Maybe he'll grow into the role, but as of episode 15... not a fan.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 02:28 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css