HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 12: One Is All, All Is One - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, Spoilers for contents of ep 1 through ep 12
Vagrant
post Jun 22 2009, 06:39 AM
Post #46

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,830

Wasn't really to "into" the episode. Did find Izumi's reveal and the exchange with the Elrics afterwards quite touching though.
Liked the music throughout.

I haven't reread the manga for comparison yet, nor can I entirely remember the old anime's version of this all. So, I'll get to my usual weekly tl;dr when I can.

All that said, still somewhat irked by the morals in the island storyline. >_<

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Jun 22 2009, 07:33 AM
Post #47

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

Wow.. just wow.

This one was REALLY emotional all the way from the beginning to the end.

Expressions, the music.. everything felt so perfect. By the time Izumi and the Elrics were hugging, I could feel tears in my own eyes, too. D:

Personally, I think this was one of the most quality episodes in Brotherhood at the moment. It wasn't too rushed, they let things to develop in peace. Awesome! \o/

..though I do wonder why they didn't show the huge guy (Mason?) chasing Ed and Al in the island. I'm pretty sure he was on the manga, as well? But yeah, adding his scenes would have forced them to rush some other important bits, so.. I don't mind.

(can't wait to see the next one, with Greed and all!)

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post Jun 22 2009, 09:04 AM
Post #48

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

Judging by the fact that I didn't know Mason's name until I read through this thread... nah, not bothered. We got cannibal!Ed instead (why not Al, I wonder?.. is he too civilized?).

I nearly died of cute, with all the instances of chibi Ed and Al! They're just adorable. I totally see why Izumi's heart melted.

I got annoyed by the angst in this episode, but then I've rarely been happy with the way angst has been portrayed here. I mean, Ed nearly flying into hysterics at the mere mention of Hoho papa? Yeah, daddy issues, I get it, but he sounded like he was about to *cry*. And the whole thing with Izumi hug I felt was - omg - more poignant in FMA1, somehow. I mean, it was a good scene overall, with the "teacher is as bad as the students" and her story, but that hug and the apologies were just over angsty and too melodramatic, as for me.

Izumi is made of so, so much win. I hope they keep her manga lines in the next episode, it's one of the rare relatively early manga bits that I remember very clearly, because Izumi = awesome.

And don't Sig and Armstrong meet in the nearest future? They must keep those scenes. THEY MUST.

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jun 22 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #49

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

Ooh. Sorry there, Tombow, I didn't realize I wasn't being clear. Here let me show you.

Here her tatoo is clearly red, however...

Here it is clearly blue. Also:

Here Marta's tattoo is purpleish, but in the preview of the next episode...

green!
Actually come to think of it, I'm glad they changed the purpleish tattoo to green, because that's more... snakelike. It seems that way, doesn't it?

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 22 2009, 10:59 AM
Post #50

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Hagaren_4ever - Ohh.. now, that's very informative, and a very good point!! Thank you so much for posting those!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Jun 22 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #51

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

Caught up with the manga version of this ep. Six whole chapters, hah. I was surprised to see that essentially the contents of episode 2 of Brotherhood were pilfered from this storyline. I suppose it makes sense though. It's important to set up with Elric bros' background early on in some detail.
On that subject, I was always curious about that part with Ed almost attacking Bradley in his exam. Didn't remember it being in the manga.

Anyway, as usual the manga did everything better. I didn't mind Mason being left out, but I feel it should've made more of a point of Izumi's training being physical as well as mental.
Missed some good moments out, but I'm starting to find it hard to care until we get to the truly original stuff. I seem to say this every episode, but; Next week?

Although I will make one nitpick; Izumi's evil-face intro was dodgy.

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Jun 22 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #52

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Maybe Izumi's tattoo is temporary and she just decides to put a new one on every day!

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 22 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #53

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (Vagrant @ Jun 22 2009, 01:29 PM) *
Missed some good moments out, but I'm starting to find it hard to care until we get to the truly original stuff. I seem to say this every episode, but; Next week?

I know this is stupid and I shouldn't care what other people think. But I hate that people judge the manga by this adaption when there are faults with the adaption not the manga.

However I have seen people who have not read the manga who don't care that there are differences in these early episodes. They just want to get to the stuff that is completely different from the first series. Thus they prefer the rushed pacing even if things are skipped.

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Jun 22 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #54

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

QUOTE (mira mirth @ Jun 22 2009, 07:04 PM) *
I got annoyed by the angst in this episode, but then I've rarely been happy with the way angst has been portrayed here. I mean, Ed nearly flying into hysterics at the mere mention of Hoho papa? Yeah, daddy issues, I get it, but he sounded like he was about to *cry*. And the whole thing with Izumi hug I felt was - omg - more poignant in FMA1, somehow. I mean, it was a good scene overall, with the "teacher is as bad as the students" and her story, but that hug and the apologies were just over angsty and too melodramatic, as for me.

Heh, I don't know.. for some reason I've loved how they do the angst here. It's a good opposite for all the 'coolness' that's usually on. It makes even Ed and Al look more 'vulnerable', in a way.

I've never been much into characters who just get to be cool all the time, never crying, etc. Making them angst makes things more natural. XD

Heck, I'd even love to see Ed share a few tears at least once. Apart from the childhood part when he resurrected Al. *shot*

(and as I said, I nearly cried when the hugging scene came on. But then again, I'm always like that with movies. Can't help my over-sensitiviness. 8''DD )

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post Jun 22 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #55

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

QUOTE (Trakonda @ Jun 22 2009, 11:40 PM) *
Heh, I don't know.. for some reason I've loved how they do the angst here. It's a good opposite for all the 'coolness' that's usually on. It makes even Ed and Al look more 'vulnerable', in a way.

I've never been much into characters who just get to be cool all the time, never crying, etc. Making them angst makes things more natural.

I'm not into characters who're cool all the time, either, but that's why I said that the angst *here* doesn't work for me =) Maybe there was as much angst in the manga, but it was portrayed more gracefully... It could very well be just the animation style - you know, exaggerated everything, crazy happiness and then overflowing angst. I don't watch a lot of anime, so I might be missing the subtleties of conveying powerful emotion through this medium. *shrug* Still don't like what they're doing to my dear Ed, though =)

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jun 22 2009, 02:16 PM
Post #56

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Izumi and Sig remain awesome and as such any faults the ep may have had are null and void.
Actually, come to think of it, the last few eps have been far better quality wise than earlier episodes.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Jun 22 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #57

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

QUOTE (Trakonda @ Jun 22 2009, 04:40 PM) *

I've never been much into characters who just get to be cool all the time, never crying, etc. Making them angst makes things more natural. XD

Heck, I'd even love to see Ed share a few tears at least once. Apart from the childhood part when he resurrected Al. *shot*

I do like when Ed is portrayed as vulnerable, like for instance when Nina died Ed was like mega-emo lol - but I'm not a fan of the uber-angst "I'm sorry"s. I think it would have been better with, say, just one "I'm sorry", and then a tearful hug or something. The first anime did a good job with that scene I think with Ed's facial expressions - and I like how in that one he sort of softens up and accepts the hug and that in itself shows plenty of vulnerability. Although I did like in this one how Ed and Al try to pretend like everything's all perfectly okay before they break down.

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Jun 22 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #58

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

One thing about the episode that disappointed me was that no Mason was there. It was interesting to see the Elrics fight him on the island.

Love that Izumi was wearing the W.C. sandals.

Cannibal Ed was strange, felt bad for Al when he said "What was that for Brother."

We learned that ants are sour. I wonder how the writers knew that?

It was sad when Ed and Al were trying to keep it together when telling Izumi that the transmutation was their fault. Especially when Al is talking about the anticipation of being able to eat again.

I am still wondering if Ed and Al are ever going to cry. Right now Al can't, but Ed can he just doesn't. I wonder if by the end, they will have a cry, such as when Al gets his body back.

+Quote Post
BluePhoenix
post Jun 23 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #59

Citizen

Member No.: 69,640

Personally, I like the angst in the episode. I don't like it when certain anime try to lighten up situations that are very serious, so I'm glad that the hug scene was very emotional. In fact, with this adaptation, I believe that they are trying to throw in all the gags and sometimes they are a little too much in my opinion. I enjoyed the gags in the manga, but some of them don't translate that well in the anime for some reason.

--------------------
~*Always smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...*~

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 23 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #60

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (BluePhoenix @ Jun 23 2009, 02:56 PM) *
I enjoyed the gags in the manga, but some of them don't translate that well in the anime for some reason.

Well I think it doesn't help that they add in some of their own gags as well. So it increases the amount that is in the series.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 08:03 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css