HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chapter 96 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others), No future chapter spoilers here, please. :)
Rating 5 V
jacksparrow589
post Jun 13 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #211

Special Ops (Piratical Gallery Enforcement)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 48,158

Claudius--Oh. Wow. Never thought of that until now.

The only thing that's making me inclined to say that we might never know about that particular case is that I personally think that it's been used all it can in terms of shock factor. It would just be too overdone to pull that one out again, and so soon after the last time.

Also, wouldn't they first use... material more readily available than that, as they did with making Philosopher's Stones in Lab 5? You don't need living bodies to make these guys, but it's certainly easier to take those who have not been buried than to go graverobbing. It would take too much time manually, and alchemy is probably too noticable.

Of course, this is all just speculation on my part.

Anyway, I certainly hope that's not the case. That would be more horrible than it already is, and I really thought it couldn't get worse.

--------------------

Credit goes to Causmicfire for my avatar

The Royai Day party might be over, but the fun never stops!
Royai Day 2011 Album
Thank you to all those who contributed!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Jun 13 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #212

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,503

My first impression is that to see the Hoho vs. Father fight animated will be interesting. I especially like when Father walls Hoho in and simply makes a door:
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/96/36/

Here's a thought that has been bugging me, though. Forgive me if this sounds stupid. In this chapter Hohenheim discusses the releasing of father's emotions Envy, Greed, Pride, Lust, Gluttony, Wrath, and Sloth leaving him emotionless. However, what about the positive emotions such as Love, Charity, Happiness and Selflessness (to name a few)? I guess there is the assumption that by ridding himself of the negative he is also losing the positive. But why is it that only the "sins" become homonculi and not the virtues?

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Jun 14 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #213

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ Jun 13 2009, 11:34 PM) *
My first impression is that to see the Hoho vs. Father fight animated will be interesting. I especially like when Father walls Hoho in and simply makes a door:
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/96/36/

Here's a thought that has been bugging me, though. Forgive me if this sounds stupid. In this chapter Hohenheim discusses the releasing of father's emotions Envy, Greed, Pride, Lust, Gluttony, Wrath, and Sloth leaving him emotionless. However, what about the positive emotions such as Love, Charity, Happiness and Selflessness (to name a few)? I guess there is the assumption that by ridding himself of the negative he is also losing the positive. But why is it that only the "sins" become homonculi and not the virtues?

Have you ever tried telling Chastity, Temperence, and Charity to go round up some human sacrifices for you?

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Jun 14 2009, 05:55 AM
Post #214

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

QUOTE (jacksparrow589 @ Jun 13 2009, 05:11 PM) *
Also, wouldn't they first use... material more readily available than that, as they did with making Philosopher's Stones in Lab 5? You don't need living bodies to make these guys, but it's certainly easier to take those who have not been buried than to go graverobbing. It would take too much time manually, and alchemy is probably too noticable.
Forgive me for adding insult to injury, but what if there was not an actual burial in the first place? We only saw a coffin being buried, not who was inside it. For all we know, an open casket wake did not take place, or some corrupt Alchemists made a good body-double...
Again, forgive me.
On the other hand: If we do have a zombie-you-know-who, wouldn't it give Arakawa the convenience of actually restoring him in the similar manner where Al gets his body back?

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 14 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #215

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (Claudius @ Jun 14 2009, 06:55 AM) *
On the other hand: If we do have a zombie-you-know-who, wouldn't it give Arakawa the convenience of actually restoring him in the similar manner where Al gets his body back?

Hughes is dead, Al is not that is a huge difference. So no Arakawa will not be bringing Hughes back in a similar manner. Read Vol 11 when Ed digs up the thing that Ed & Al brought back that night and the implications of it.

+Quote Post
jacksparrow589
post Jun 14 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #216

Special Ops (Piratical Gallery Enforcement)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 48,158

Claudius--Undermined at every turn! Nah--you're forgiven. What you say makes sense, after all--we only saw the casket. Now I'm even more worried. I still want to think that it's been done too much to pull out again. Also, wouldn't he look like every other zombie, or are we theorizing about a zombie 2.0 now, where they look like the person? If not, there'd really be no way to tell.

As to restoring him, Kirara's right. His body is dead. Al's body is still living, as evidenced by that wild mane of hair and the growing skinnier when Al's body is finally seen, not to mention the theory that Ed's providing nutrition and sleep for the both of them.

EDIT: Kirara's other statement a few posts below this one also makes sense about souls vs. bodies. Either way, I still don't think we'll see Hughes again.

--------------------

Credit goes to Causmicfire for my avatar

The Royai Day party might be over, but the fun never stops!
Royai Day 2011 Album
Thank you to all those who contributed!

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jun 14 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #217

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

Yeah. Hughes is gone for good. I think the series will end soon, personally. I mean, after the "Promised Day" is over and Ed and Al get their bodies back, and Colonel Mustang becomes Fuhrer Mustang, (I think that's what's gonna happen.) There isn't much more story to tell. I mean, I think there's probably going to be more than 100 chapters, but the series can't last that much longer.

P.S.
I miss Winry! T_T

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Becca-chan
post Jun 14 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #218

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,345

@ Claudius - I really like the sound of that theory O.O
I personally wouldn't doubt the possibility of Arakawa making something like that happen, since she's done a lot of stuff in the past that most people wouldn't expect.

And if it *is* true about what Olivia was saying about soldiers in Central becoming zombified...
There's another thing that's been bugging me for a while now actually, and this is probably the perfect time to bring it up concerning the zombie crisis in the manga at the moment.
( and it's probably typical for me...) than what about the bodies of Shou and Chimera!Nina? they may not of been soldiers, but their bodies would of been taken into the custody of the military too, wouldn't they? and we all know how corrupt the government is in this version.
( I've seriously thought about this since last year, and even now I still get chills down my spine just thinking about it ^^; )

--------------------
Becca-chan; Your local Tucker addict...I am 100% sane, I swear! O.O;

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Jun 14 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #219

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Guh, Arakawa would be a complete hack to bring Hughes back in any form. I have a little more respect for her talents than that. I mean, really, that would just be abominable.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 14 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #220

Please note that there is an important difference in HisshouBuraiKen and Tombow's translation in regards to what Olivier said about the zombies

Tombow's translation: "Ordinary soldiers like you would probably end up being used as souls to create those soon or later."

HisshouBuraiKen translation (what is posted on One Manga)-
"Eventually you "normal" soldiers would've ended up as one of these things, too."

Notice that Tombow's inclusion of the word "souls" changes the meaning of the sentence signifigantly. Based on what has been said before about the zombies I am going to say that Tombow's translation seems more accurate to me.

So it's not that the bodies of the soldiers are being used but the souls (P. Stone) of the soldiers are being used to animate the zombies. Hence I highly doubt we will be seeing the return to Zombie Hughes since it doesn't fit anything that has been shown in the series previously.

And this is why I also encourage people to read more than one translation if it is out there. No translation is perfect but you get a fuller picture of things if you read more than one.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 14 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #221

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

The evidence of them NOT being used as the "BODILY ingredients" is actually in the bubble before that.... it's specifically saying that the way to make these zombies is... attaching human souls to "puppet body," NOT organic (but probably dead) human body. Although, that may not show up in English translation there as clearly or as strongly..but in raw it is very clear from that bubble that human body is NOT the ingredients. Hence, to avoid having anyone "potentially" mistakingly making any new theory that solders would be used as the "bodily" ingredients for these zombies, my translation has the extra clarifying word "soul" so that there would be NO misunderstanding on what that part of the conversation is. However, the word "soul" is NOT in the raw in that bubble. I have that one there to farther clarify so that there would be no misunderstanding as to what that bubble is talking about.

So, yes, Kirara is correct. If you follow my translation, the "possible" theory of soldiers' body being used as the material ingredients would not come up, because that's the very reason I added that extra word as the clarification to avoid the possible misleading/misunderstanding. smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 14 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #222

QUOTE (Tombow @ Jun 14 2009, 05:41 PM) *
So, yes, Kirara is correct. If you follow my translation, the "possible" theory of soldiers' body being used as the material ingredients would not come up, because that's the very reason I added that extra word as the clarification to avoid the possible misleading/misunderstanding. smile.gif

Thanks for clarifying Tombow. Honestly I think if you read the sentence before in HisshouBuraiKen translation:

An immortal army,
made by injecting human souls into an artificial container...
Soldiers who have no fear of death.

You can also tell that when Olivier is talking about the normal soldiers being used she is referring to their souls not their bodies from this preceding sentence. It's all about taking things in context.

Now I could be wrong but I think your translation comes off more literal and HisshouBuraiKen's translation feels more embellished to me. Like maybe if there is a joke that doesn't make sense in English you would most likely keep the original words for the joke and HisshouBuraiKen would change it so it fits better in English. Both approaches are fine but I definitely try reading both translations to get a fuller appreciation of what is going on. So I am glad you continue to add your translation.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 14 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #223

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Kirara - Yap, exactly. And, yes, that is the bubble I'm talking about. ^^

And, as far as the difference in translations, it's all about difference in goals. I think (if I may venture out and guess ^^) HisshouBuraiKen is making his to be a fun reading when made into scanlations, whereas the reason I post mine is to generally show forum members what's in the raw for the discussion purpose. And, that means I try to keep mine as boring literal as possible, and as free of any of my own added jokes, or "plugging the holes with some American jokes" (which I generally try to avoid) ...trouble with this is that then many of American/English readers literally believe that's what Arakawa-sensei actually wrote >.< ... or generally avoid adding my own fabrications such as, making Rose say, "that's my own recipe!" when nowhere in the raw is such entry. >.< (BTW, that was from old scanlation with some unknown translator.)
Sure, scanlations with these might be more "fun" for reading, and/or with more memorable lines, and I hope you guys enjoy reading them, as long as you know that's not the actual content of FMA manga chapters you're reading. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Jun 16 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #224

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

I was lucky that I read this chapter right before the internet died for a few days...otherwise...well, I would have died as well!

Sloth is FINALLY dead! It's about time...

Izumi tossing Sloth = EPIC

Izumi and Olivia working together = EPIC

Hoho's door of win = EPIC

Armstrong and Sig moving in synch: XDDDDD

I want the next chapter to focus on FatherDude and Hoho again, and the alchemists making their way into FatherDude's lair. Oh, and I wouldn't mind something on Ran Fan/Ling, it's been too long!

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
DistantBlue
post Jun 27 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #225

Alchemists

Member No.: 67,766

Hey, checked out what's next for Chapter 97:

(Taken from here)

表紙&巻中カラー

「鋼の錬金術師」 荒川弘

ホーエンハイムの運命か!? 
お父様の計画か!? 次号衝撃の巻中カラー!!!

Google Translator Translation:

Cover & Color in the Volumes

"Alchemist of steel" Arakawa Hiromu

HOENHAIMU or destiny?
Is your father or the plan? Color impact in the volume of the next issue!

BTW, these are, of course, not perfect translations, so don't rely fully on these until Tombow or others talented in Japanese have given their official translation.

--------------------

QUOTE (Alzea @ Jul 16 2009, 07:49 AM) *
DistantBlue, I just can see this, demotivational poster:
Observation skillzShe haz them

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 08:40 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css