HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 9: Created Feelings - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Spoilers for th efirst 9 episodes!!
FullMetalFist
post Jun 1 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #76

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 50,694

I loved the episode, I thought it was great. They really went in deeper in this part of the story than the first series. To be honest a few tears drizzled down my face. I loved it, but I feel the art gets a little weird sometimes. Overall I rate this episode an 8. Spectacular.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mistress of Mise...
post Jun 1 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #77

Citizen

Member No.: 34,631

Decent episode, but I just didn't get the same feeling that I got from reading the manga. Perhaps it was the music - I really don't care for this new soundtrack.

Kugimiya-san's voice acting was great, though. It brought that entire confrontation scene to life. And geez, call me a sentimentalist, but that flashback to Ed crying on his bed was great.

Next week...god, why did it have to come so fast? ='( If that episode doesn't at least make me teary, I shall be sorely disappointed in its quality. Dx

--------------------

If everything appears to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 1 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #78

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (WinterChanterelle @ Jun 1 2009, 11:10 AM) *
Al: You're Ishvarians, like Scar! Boy! Why didn't I think of Scar earlier? If there's a better person to go to for emotional validation and reassurance than a proven sociopath whose stated goal in life is to kill my brother, I can't imagine who!

Snickers just one of the many reasons I am not fond of 1st Anime!Al's characterization happy.gif

As for Maria slapping Ed well I see that she did it because Ed & Al put themselves in so much danger after Armstrong specifically ordered them not to go alone. I just see it as tough love on Maria's part.

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post Jun 1 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #79

Alchemists

Member No.: 17,591

QUOTE (Vagrant @ Jun 1 2009, 10:55 AM) *
QUOTE (WinterChanterelle @ Jun 1 2009, 03:47 PM) *
Now, the first part of this episode had the three things that always annoy me - Winry thinking that physical violence is an okay expression of her feelings (i.e. wrench-throwing); Maria slapping Ed because she thinks that she is in a position to tell him what to do and that slapping him will get the message across; and Al believing a deranged suit of armour who wants to kill him over his brother, Winry and Pinako.
Winry's wrench rampages (don't try and say that too fast) seem no worse than Ed and Al beating the crap out of each other (like after Ed got his arm blown up). She's like another sibling to them, after all.

What's the problem with Maria slapping sense into Ed? That's a classic move.

Very true. That move was classic. Good for Maria being the one who was brave enough to give Ed what he deserved.

Anyways, I'm glad they got rid of the alchemy intro before the opening theme. If only they would get rid of the Fullmetal Alchemist guy now.

+Quote Post
Krokgard
post Jun 1 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #80

Citizen

Member No.: 68,794

If only they would get rid of the Fullmetal Alchemist guy now

Poor guy... I'm his only fan XD?

+Quote Post
DarkSpartan4
post Jun 1 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #81

Citizen

Member No.: 42,773

QUOTE (Krokgard @ Jun 1 2009, 05:29 PM) *
If only they would get rid of the Fullmetal Alchemist guy now

Poor guy... I'm his only fan XD?

Don't worry, you're not alone! I love the Fullmetal Alchemist guy too. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post Jun 1 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #82

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

@Kirara, sure it's tough love. Just not expressed the way I think is necessarily okay, nor does it seem to be her place. *shrug* Anyway, I do like Maria. Just not in that particular instance.

And Krokgard, DarkSpartan4, I'm sure the Fullmetal Alchemist guy would be glad to know he's not alone =) He still brings more pain than hilarity to me, but I might get there too, someday...

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Jun 1 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #83

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

First of all, I love the Fullmetal Alchemist guy. HE IS THE MAN. There has never been a time I haven't either laughed or gone WTF and in both cases, I have rewound to listen to the dude say it again and again LMAO

Anyway, as for the actual episode, I freaking ADORED it. Loved the manga panels because, y'know, it IS a manga adaption. Seeing them just makes me freak out because even though Brotherhood is FINALLY here, I've been waiting so long for a manga-based anime that I freak out every time like OMG IT'S ACTUALLY THE MANGA!!

The acting was amazing, the flasbacks were win...I loved the Winry/Al and Ed/Al scenes. (I admit I almost cried this episode, and if I'm already crying, I'm going to be screwed next week.)

Hughes is adorable. I'm going to cry to death next episode.

As for the Ishbal flashback, I'm sure it's just to show the scenes about Hughes commiting himself to Roy's goal. They'll save the Hawkeye scenes for her flashback, and the Knox scenes for his.

So yeah, I loved the episode XD Hughes with the gun FTW

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Krokgard
post Jun 1 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #84

Citizen

Member No.: 68,794

Yeee! FMA guy's fans rule!

By the way, I'm re-watching this episode right now. When Winry shouts at the phone with Ed (you know, "stop use my auto-mail for hitting people"), does her voice become the voice of Ed?

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post Jun 1 2009, 04:15 PM
Post #85

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 68,640

QUOTE (Krokgard @ Jun 1 2009, 07:13 PM) *
Yeee! FMA guy's fans rules!

By the way, I'm re-watching this episode right now. When Winry shouts at the phone with Ed (you know, "stop use my auto-mail for hitting people"), does her voice become the voice of Ed?

Yeah, it was like that when I watched it too. I think maybe it's Ed's imagination, or it's just to emphasize how angry she is tongue.gif

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Jun 1 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #86

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

How can anyone like the voiceover guy?! You people are broken! Broken, I tell you!

QUOTE (WinterChanterelle @ Jun 1 2009, 06:10 PM) *
Animeoldtimer, heehee. The poor Fullmetal Alchemist guy has no idea how much dislike he's generated in the fandom. I'd hide, if I were him, and never admit to taking this job...

QUOTE (Vagrant @ Jun 1 2009, 06:55 PM) *
Winry's wrench rampages (don't try and say that too fast) seem no worse than Ed and Al beating the crap out of each other (like after Ed got his arm blown up). She's like another sibling to them, after all.

It's just that her wrench-throwing got old for me really, really quickly in FMA1 and I've never warmed to it since. This is my greatest beef with Winry, this reliance on violence to articulate her worry/sadness/anger. That said, it might very well be that FMA1 ruined her for me (and I watched the anime before I read the manga). She does seem to have a greater range of emotion than WRENCH, I THROW IT it the manga, so I'm slowly growing to sort of tolerate her.
To be honest, my memories of the original anime and even the first two times I read the manga have seriously decayed. I don't remember too much wrench throwing. So I don't hold anything against it liek.

What's the problem with Maria slapping sense into Ed? That's a classic move.

Quite apart from the fact that hitting a child should never be a classic move, I just dislike her presumptuousness here. What does she know of the Elric brothers and their relationship with adults? Nothing. And she does, of course, have a good point about them needing to warn people and not only think of themselves, but she can't know how true her assumptions are.
He's not a child, to be fair. (And Izumi spent ages beating the crap out of him when he was one anyway)
And her and Denny have spent a fair few days at least with the Elric brothers, so I think she has some knowledge, really.

And as for the whole thing with Al's identity crisis...It's not just like Barry lied to him and Al believed him. Barry simply suggested what could have plausibly happened, planted the seeds of doubt. And given what Ed had said, Al worrying about it being true is understandable really.
Besides, he did get a good kicking for it.

Al getting a good kicking for it is the only thing that reconciles me with the situation =) It's just that it's such a huge betrayal of Ed, in my eyes. I mean, Al seriously believes in Ed being the kind of person who would want to create an artificial brother and then lie to him about it for years on end. Worse, Al clearly thinks that Winry and Granny Pinako are capable of lying to him, as well. It's as if he doesn't know these people - everything is eclipsed by his sudden wangst.
If he believed that the foundation of his relationships and trust for all these people was false and fabricated...And the idea that after the years that were definitely spent with Ed, he could have been lied to the entire time...It still makes sense to me really.

But hah, you really don't care for the original anime, do you? XD
Again my poor memory means I can't even remember how they handled it, but that does sound considerably worse. Are these Mikkeneko summaries worth looking up?

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post Jun 1 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #87

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

QUOTE (Vagrant @ Jun 2 2009, 02:24 AM) *
But hah, you really don't care for the original anime, do you? XD
Again my poor memory means I can't even remember how they handled it, but that does sound considerably worse. Are these Mikkeneko summaries worth looking up?

Whoops, my disdain for FMA1 has been exposed rolleyes.gif I used to like it, though. It got me into FMA, but then there was the manga, and slowly FMA1 stopped making sense. And Mikkeneko's Quick Episode Summaries are really amusing, especially if you don't mind allusions to all kinds of crazy ships =)

To stay on topic: I think that, at 15 (or how old is Ed meant to be here?) he still qualifies as a child, especially if Maria gets on her high horse about him trusting "adults". And Al - yes, I do understand he is suddenly faced with the fact that he has to base his existence on faith, essentially. He has to believe he existed before this, because there is very little proof. However, it's just... how self-centered do you have to be to believe that someone sacrificed their arm, fabricated childhood photos, brainwashed neighbours - all for what? The dubious pleasure of devoting their life to getting you out of the armour? However, since this is one of the few times in the story when Al acts his age and messes everything up because of his teenage wangst, I shrug it off as Al's only serious misstep - he'd have been all too perfect otherwise =)

+Quote Post
Rainshine
post Jun 1 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #88

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 64,866

Did anyone else see Sig and Izumi at the train station? happy.gif

I really liked this episode!!
But next episode... sad.gif Why'd it have to come so fast!? D;

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elemental/Alchem...
post Jun 2 2009, 02:07 AM
Post #89

Apprentice

Member No.: 28,136

QUOTE (Tombow @ Jun 1 2009, 06:28 AM) *
Reminder:

For those who had seen the first series of FMA anime, and/or read FMA manga, you can probably guess what's coming next. HOWEVER, please remember that there are some who have not seen FMA-1, nor read managa. I know many of you would like to talk about future upcoming events. If you do, please USE PROPER SPOILERS for upcoming events, so that those who have no idea for the future storyine would not be spoiled. THANK YOU!!! smile.gif
i saw the edit u did for my post - sry tombow, my bad sleep.gif

--------------------
Roy's partner in arms - Maes Hughes:
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Jun 2 2009, 03:19 AM
Post #90

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

Now, the first part of this episode had the three things that always annoy me - Winry thinking that physical violence is an okay expression of her feelings (i.e. wrench-throwing); Maria slapping Ed because she thinks that she is in a position to tell him what to do and that slapping him will get the message across;

Winry's usual wench-throwing is annoying, but the one in that episode? Absolutely not. She hits in state of pure anger at Al, it is NOT done for comic relief. This is the only time she is really "serious" about using her wrench. It shows how much Al's words angered her, and how that anger is different from the one she enters in when Ed destroys his automails.

As for Maria, let's sum everything :

--- Armstrong was very clear toward the brothers : they were NOT to move, yet they went still.
--- They almost get killed. Both. THAT Maria can't allow, as an adult.
--- Ed was all "I can't stay here, I still have to go", as if he didn't learn anything

So yeah, that slap was absolutely deserved. He needed some sense to be put in that big head of his. And Maria, as the one charged with protecting him, was perfectly in a position to do it.

No, it's Ed imagining it, that's why Winry has his voice. I'm glad she didn't get angry in that episode, like she did in the manga. It shows how much she worries for the brothers. The Alex's hug of death removing was also a good thing in my opinion, because she reacted only to the wounds he received from Slicer. So much more impact.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2016 - 05:11 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css