HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Should I Watch FMA-1 Or FMA:B First?
Which to watch first, FMA or FMA:B
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 105
Guests cannot vote 
qulup
post May 30 2009, 08:02 AM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 69,134

Yesterday, I discovered FMA:B on the new Hulu client (http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop) and really like it. I watched all episodes of FMA:B, then decided to do a little research on the series and found out about the original series.

Should I just watch the FMA:B series and wait until it's over to go back to the original FMA, or should I go back and watch the original series now?

Thanks for your input!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ninryu
post May 30 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 68,282

fma of course.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alligatorbucket
post May 30 2009, 08:09 AM
Post #3

Silent Spam Slayer

Member No.: 9,404

In my opinion they are two completely different shows. The original series is already done though so it would make more sense to just go ahead and watch that if you don't want to wait.

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post May 30 2009, 08:19 AM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 68,640

FMA:B is based off the manga, so if you read the manga and really want to see the animated version then continue watching Brotherhood.
The first FMA season had its own story starting about episode 30 or so, but all the episodes before that pretty much follow the manga.

In my opinion, you should go ahead and watch FMA in your free time because all 51 episodes are out, then on Sundays watch FMA:B. biggrin.gif

P.S. Make sure to take a look at the manga too! smile.gif

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
qulup
post May 30 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #5

Citizen

Member No.: 69,134

Thanks for your input everyone! Looks like I'll be watching the original FMA, then check out Brotherhood after that.

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post May 30 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

The second series. You would compare two of them without any sense if you watch first first..

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 30 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,267

FMA Brotherhood because it is a closer adaption of the original manga which came before the first animated series. And not to mention you can watch the episodes legally & for free if you live in the US, Canada, most of Europe and Asia. smile.gif

And wow I can't believe people are actually discouraging people from watching Brotherhood first. I think it is great that new people are interested in this series that have not seen the first anime or read the manga. Otherwise the only people left watching will already know what happens (at least for the parts covered by the manga and 1st series) and that's no fun.

+Quote Post
Tezrath
post May 30 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 68,129

Personally I think if you just started with FMA:B that you should stick with it... and watch the other FMA after.

I'd actually love to see the responses from someone who is watching brotherhood first. Because for a lot of us who have either watched the first fma or read the manga (or both) it changes how we view brotherhood. We are all biased and have expectations of the current show based on the work we had seen previously... which makes it hard to get a sense of the 'impact' certain scenes have (or don't have) because none of it is a surprise at this point in the timeline

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post May 30 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

I think it doesn't matter. The first series was incredible. FMA:B hasn't had enough episodes aired to really make a judgment, but being based more closely on the manga, we have high expectations because we know that the manga is amazing. From my perspective, the more FMA, the better. I don't really know which one would be *better* to watch first, but it would be a tragedy for you to miss out on the first series, so I say go with the first series first. That way you can get pretty much unlimited FMA for awhile and it will be awesome. Then switch gears and put aside all assumptions you might have from the first series and move to FMA:B. There is some overlap in the first 10 or so episodes, but by the time you finish the first series, enough episodes of FMA:B will be out such that you can just marathon right through the early episodes, which move more quickly in FMA:B anyway...

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post May 30 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #10

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

I would say the first season. I prefer it to the 2nd, personally. You get to know characters like Hughes better.

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post May 30 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #11

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Largely irrelevant.

A hardcore manga fan may ask you to entirely ignore the first series, due to its detraction from the original material, but I would suggest giving it a go. I certainly count it as one of the greatest anime programs I've seen, out of nearly two hundred.

However, it doesn't matter, since the new series and the old one are in entirely different continuities, the first going off to do its own thing (at the insistance of Arakawa herself, I've read), whereas the new one sticks closer to the original manga.

Either way, there really is no wrong way to go at FMA. The first series was excellent, in my opinion, and the second one is certainly shaping up as well, and may surpass the first yet. But they're different beasts, so just pick one and go for it!

(It may be easier to start with the first, since it's already finished, but don't feel like you have to finish it before diving into the new one, unless you'd rather not mix up events.)

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post May 31 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #12

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

Doesn't really matter, but the best way to approach both series is that they are completely independent of one another, despite some overlap with characters/settings/plotlines.

The first series was extremely well-done and is still one of the most engrossing series that I've seen. The story follows the original manga storyline to a point, before it diverges into it's own original work.

FMA: Brotherhood, on the other hand, is more closely related to the manga as the manga's reached a more mature point than where it was when the first series began. Aside from the first episode, Brotherhood has followed the manga's storyline and is shaping up to stand on its own merits. The pacing may seem faster than the first series or to those who have never been exposed to the manga, but since the manga storyline is extremely dense Brotherhood is doing an excellent job of maintaining the core of the chapters that are being adapted.

+Quote Post
AA battery
post May 31 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #13

Brigadier General

Member No.: 7,450

It doesn't really matter. The previous series has a good story too, it's just that you need to keep in mind that the two anime series are DIFFERENT, that's all, and try not to compare them when you watch them =)

Ignoring the fact that the previous series doesn't really have the same theme as the manga, the previous FMA series is indeed one of the greatest anime. I love the music and detailed development in the previous FMA series, whereas the story in manga is definitely a lot more brilliant.

So, watch both. =P Since the previous series is already done and over with, you might as well watch the whole thing + movie at one go ;D

--------------------
*June 11, 2013 - New Doujinshis Added*
Hi, I got a bunch of FMA merchandises (keychains, pencil boards, cards, figurines, book in figure red...etc) for sale at my LJ. Please visit my sale post here if interested! Thanks ^_^

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post May 31 2009, 12:28 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 68,646

I personally would watch FMA first to get introduced to the characters because FMA: B moves pretty quickly (I think if I wasn't familiar with the series I'd have been a little confused :/), but if that's not a problem for you then it really doesn't matter which you start with smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sal_san
post May 31 2009, 01:01 AM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 62,930

Watch the first FMA. The first half of the anime is somewhat based on the manga, and they introduced the characters better. You may want to watch that before watching FMA: B.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 06:22 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css