HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 8: The Fifth Laboratory - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Possible Spoilers for the first 8 episodes!
Flamez_Freak
post May 25 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #31

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,548

best episode yet...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post May 25 2009, 04:09 AM
Post #32

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

I agree with everyone who said that it was a great episode.

Barry! I love Barry. I thought his backstory was really well done.

Poor Al. That sequence always makes me headdesk, because, come on, Al, who are you going to believe - your dear brother or a stray suit of armour you've met for the first time in your life?.. Tells you how long that existential crisis has been brewing.

Envy and Kimblee... suitably horrible and creepy. And I've only just come to terms with the fact that finally, finally Envy is dead - but nooo, here he's walking around perfectly alive... =)

The mention of sacrifices and such like made me very happy, as anything pointing at manga plot tends to do =)

The "Fullmetal Alchemist" guy, though - my urge to strangle him grows with every episode.

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 25 2009, 04:36 AM
Post #33

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (penguintruth @ May 25 2009, 12:42 AM) *
Another is the "previously on" segments. Those have to go, too. This and the narration over it make the show seem generic, and FMA is anything but that.

I dislike these too and the little exposition about alchemy in the beginning and the "fullmetal alchemist talking eye catches".

But I think we just have to accept these things at least for awhile. Hopefully they will get rid of some of these things at some point.

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post May 25 2009, 05:57 AM
Post #34

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

Maybe it's just the fanslation I watched, but "Slicer the Homocide"? The manga just had them as the Slicer.
Also Barry saying he'd dismantle Al? Made it seem like he knew Al was just armour or something.

Ed seemed a little too ready to fight in the anime. Like there's an inevitability about it and it kinda loses the tension of a life/death situation a bit. I dunno, just something about it bothered me. It didn't seem as bad in the manga, 48's intro was just better.

Loved Al's badass moment after Ed says he's never beaten him.

Hughes and Roy's segments brought the comedy for this chapter. (people have said these conversations happen later in the manga?) Barry calling Al a hippo and their armour banter was all great stuff. As was Ed thinking he'd have to fight the Slicer legs.

Barry pulling out the blade was kind of disgusting which fitted well. Though the quick efficient kill wasn't as Barry-esque as the slicing the head off in the manga. It worries me a little that they're toning down the gore or something. Has me worried for future chapters.

Nitpick, but the sword was too close to Ed for Envy to grab without hassle, surely? (still, it just went missing in the manga)
But Envy killing the other brother was visceral and well done. Good sounds, voice acting, the arm animation. Nice job just overall.

The music was good. Noticing the recurring tracks. The big piece when Al was fighting Barry wasn't the most original composition, but it was exciting.
That said, I recalled the use of Brothers being particularly touching in the old anime there.

The Kimblee thing seemed a bit like pointless fanservice to me. I know it was in the manga, but considering Kimblee's role in the first ep of Brotherhood, new viewers might get the impression he's going to be some kind of big bad.
(another nitpick; his jail cell made more sense in the manga)

As for the fight scenes, a lot of the choreography seemed better (and somehow LONGER) in the manga to me. But I still found the fighting in this enjoyable.
Though I missed the touches from the manga like Ed worried about Winry beating him for his automail getting damaged.
Also think the manga did a better job explaining a few things, but considering the rush of Brotherhood, it's forgivable.

Overallllllll, the episode was good and was very much exciting. Though as with a couple of them, I'm happier with the episode before I read the manga version.
Nevertheless I'd probably rank it as the second best Brotherhood episode so far. But I'm still worried about the future of the series.

Still, not too long before things start getting really different from ye olde anime...

QUOTE (Kirara @ May 25 2009, 12:36 PM) *
QUOTE (penguintruth @ May 25 2009, 12:42 AM) *
Another is the "previously on" segments. Those have to go, too. This and the narration over it make the show seem generic, and FMA is anything but that.

I dislike these too and the little exposition about alchemy in the beginning and the "fullmetal alchemist talking eye catches".

But I think we just have to accept these things at least for awhile. Hopefully they will get rid of some of these things at some point.
I think the previously on bits are fine. But the 30 second intro thing is just stupid and serves no purpose. Same with the eyecatches. And we need this precious time for more great manga lines and comedy.

The way the guy said Fullmetal Alchemist the first time made me think he was just trying to piss us off too. >_<

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Krokgard
post May 25 2009, 06:14 AM
Post #35

Citizen

Member No.: 68,794

Excellent! One of the best episodes for now. They've done the Barry's story very well.
Just... Lust's nails seems like tentacles here.

PS: I think, too, that the "the last episode..." part is useless.

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post May 25 2009, 06:18 AM
Post #36

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

QUOTE (Vagrant @ May 25 2009, 03:57 PM) *
Maybe it's just the fanslation I watched, but "Slicer the Homocide"? The manga just had them as the Slicer.
Also Barry saying he'd dismantle Al? Made it seem like he knew Al was just armour or something.

I know! I watched the same translation and I thought both those things were weird too. The Slicer thing especially. Maybe the original line went, "I am the serial killer Slicer", which somehow morphed into his name in the translation...

I think the previously on bits are fine. But the 30 second intro thing is just stupid and serves no purpose. Same with the eyecatches. And we need this precious time for more great manga lines and comedy.

I'm very much with you on this. I think the previously on bits will actually be helpful later on, when the plot goes into dizzying complexity. However, the eyecatches and the intro thing are a waste of time, IMO, and with time being such a great issue here, it seems doubly unnecessary.

That said, maybe the intro thing will go away later. Y'know, once the creators figure that there's no need for Alchemy Laws 101 before every single episode, because we aren't as slow on the uptake as they think...

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 25 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 3,267

Well I don't mind the presence of the eye catches themselves. Most anime series have them they appear before & after a commercial break. I just wish they would stop with the English Fullmetal Alchemist. I think we can have the eye catches without anyone speaking and they would be a lot less annoying.

As for Slicer the Homicide I am pretty sure that was a translation error/choice. In fact I never hold dialog against the actual series because there can be many interpretations of dialog once you start translating it. Really when I compare Funimation's subs to fansubs a lot of things end up being slightly different.

It worries me a little that they're toning down the gore or something. Has me worried for future chapters.

This always happens with manga to anime conversions. I don't really think these things are that important to the story so I don't mind that much.

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post May 25 2009, 06:41 AM
Post #38

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I think this episode especially shows how much the animation has improved from the first series. When fighting the characters move with better flow and the expressions have a greater range. Not to mention that perfect balance of not too much but just enough bloodshed. I think they crammed a lot into this episode without compromising on what's important.

With the way its going, I predict mid-way guy will get to the stage of "give me an 'F', give me a 'u'" and we'll all lose the will to live.

I know this is probably just because I'm a fan of her, but it's nice that Winry is already being established as important for something other than automail (this episode almost contradicts that even). Thought next weeks won't have as much action, Al's character will develop for it as will Winry's, and even Ed's to some extent. t's a small emotional stumble in comparison to what we know is coming, but it is still a vital moment.

One final, horrifically fangirly note, Ed had some rather sexy looks going on this time round.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post May 25 2009, 07:01 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 59,111

QUOTE (Chiyo @ May 25 2009, 03:41 PM) *
One final, horrifically fangirly note, Ed had some rather sexy looks going on this time round.

I would want to rape that shiny eyes *hides*

Agree with some people who thinks that summary of the previous episode and alchemy introduction is useless. Damn, I wish they'll get rid of this when they change OP & ED themes.

I was kinda dissapointed of how they show us violence and blood, it's not so brutal as in the manga. Guess it happens with all anima :\ but the matter is, in FMA there is a lot of cutting limbs and blood. (for example, Ed from chapter 76, or Wrath vs Old!Greed) I dun wanna it to be cut or censored...

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
Imbris
post May 25 2009, 07:06 AM
Post #40

Citizen

Member No.: 63,564

I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning the music...especially what was playing when Lust killed Slicer. That was a fantastic musical moment; I got chills.

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post May 25 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #41

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

I am seriously getting more excited about this series now. And I am also kind of glad it's going along so quickly because I don't know how long I can wait to meet LING!! ^__^;;

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
edo little kid
post May 25 2009, 09:12 AM
Post #42

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 49,158

QUOTE (Kasumisty @ May 25 2009, 07:01 AM) *

I would want to rape that shiny eyes *hides*

Met too <3!!
I loveee this pic !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Meu
post May 25 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #43

Citizen

Member No.: 55,344

What an awesome episode, at least compared to few previous ones. ^^'
I don't have anything important to say, really, but I just wanted to comment on the new voice actors. Right now I love every each of them (except Gluttony's o_o), especially Envy's seiyuu suits him/her.
Someone said something about Maria's voice being too high for her, but I think it's nicely feminine and still strict enough.

I hope that since next ep will be less action and more, uh, I dunno, conversation? Well anyway I hope its animation quality won't drop dramatically. Though I'm pretty sure it will, since in this one the animation in e.g. the fight between Ed & 48 was gorgeous.

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post May 25 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #44

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

Finally I got to see this episode too!

One of the best ones, I have to agree. The artwork was great and the animation top-notch! smile.gif and I loved how things happened manga-way this time.

I also have to agree with the summary.. it's not really needed here (unless someone has a memory of an ant and forgets everything in a week.. which I really don't believe XD ) Plus.. the voice is just-- ugh. I don't like this old man. When the first FMA had Ed and Al explaining about alchemy before openings, it sounded SO much better. But heck, it's probably just a matter of time before I'll get used to it.

And yes, the music when Lust and Envy appeared was gorgeous! Can't wait to see the next episode with Al's doubting and such. It was one of my favourite moments in the manga, after all. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Envy II
post May 25 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #45

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,400

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode. I thought it was done really well! Although Al panting was weird.

Also, I really loved the phone conversation between Hughes and Roy, and I thought Hughes' expression was hilarious. It made me laugh out loud, but am I the only one who realized that the very first time (I think, anyways) that Roy was shown his mouth was on the bottom of his face? It looked really weird to me, but maybe I'm crazy.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2016 - 11:34 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css