HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 6: Road Of Hope - Content Discussion Thread,, Warning! Possible Spoilers for the first 6 episodes!
Rating 5 V
edo little kid
post May 10 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #16

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 49,158

Ok, send me PM and ask me to give you the link where you can see the ep 6 happy.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post May 10 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #17

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

Ok, I have subs and I'm not afraid of using them! PM ME!

edit: Lol, haven't noticed edo little kid post, sorry Xd

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post May 10 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #18

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

ROFL at the Ed disturbing Winry's work- part. It was hilarious! XD

..I also never realized that Edward's hair was actually that long when open. o_o
..About as long as mine! Guess I would really fit to cosplay him sometime, after all. X'D

And the sunset scene when he visited their burned house - lovely. :3 There was many great scenes on this episode. And the humour scenes were just as lovely as ever! 8D Now I also need to watch it again with subs.. I dunno should I PM to one of you guys, or actually wait for someone to upload them. 8D I'm not that eager for subs, anyway. It was quite understandable for being almost exact port of the manga. smile.gif

..one thing that irritated me a bit though. Pinako, please stop blowing the pipe smoke out of your mouth for a second! She did it like, what 5 times in this episode? XD I know it's pretty much her trademark, but come on. 8'D

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post May 10 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #19

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

QUOTE (Trakonda @ May 10 2009, 03:31 PM) *
ROFL at the Ed disturbing Winry's work- part. It was hilarious! XD

..I also never realized that Edward's hair was actually that long when open. o_o
..About as long as mine! Guess I would really fit to cosplay him sometime, after all. X'D

..one thing that irritated me a bit though. Pinako, please stop blowing the pipe smoke out of your mouth for a second! She did it like, what 5 times in this episode? XD I know it's pretty much her trademark, but come on. 8'D

I never thought Ed's hair was that long either. I paused during that part, and just look at it for a second. Whoa. 0_o I think hair like that would call for more than just 3 little braid thingies. More like...6 or something.

I noticed that, too! When she did it at the end of the episode, I was like, "How many does that MAKE?" XD

Oh and also.
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Apr 26 2009, 05:41 PM) *
Oh, and after his battle with Scar, I think older Winry's introduced, so let's look forward to the episode after next. (If I know Bones, they're probably gonna stuff a little extra EdxWin in there for a pure fanservice.)

Called it.

I made a post about how the producers would probably put more EdxWin in there for fanservice, but the pestering Winry scene wasn't really EdxWin romance, more like EdxWin interaction, which is almost always funny. XD I loved this episode.

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Kaosugoji
post May 10 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #20

Citizen

Member No.: 67,446

I wasn't especially fond of this one. By all means, this should have been two episodes. I pretty much got what I expected: a rushed episode with a few great scenes. I think we were spoiled by the first anime, which really nailed the same material (the return to Resembool) and expanded on it in a manner that made it all more poignant, and most of all, allowing time for the thematic material in the episode to sink in. Here we had two chapters squeezed into one episode again. I didn't have much of a problem with episodes 3 and 5 doing the same thing, but the two chapters composing it connected well. The Marcoh and Resembool storylines connect more awkwardly. The scene with Ed looking down at the ruins of his house and Al and Winry talking over his sleeping body (despite the abscence of some great manga dialogue), were good though. Yes, I know the Marcoh chapter was too short to fill an episode, but the writers could have simply padded it out with new material. I've liked their inserts so far, so I wouldn't mind.

Overall, this was my first real disappointment of this series. I'm confident the next episode will be better though.

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post May 10 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #21

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

I'm in the happy position of not remembering what happened in the manga up until a certain point. As in, I recognize everything, but I wouldn't be able to narrate the succession of events until... I don't know when. Probably until Hughes's death. So I don't know what is missing and it all seems perfectly fine to me.

Armstrong does shine in this episode. And Al with the sheep!

Overall, it's a nice, filler-ish sort of an episode. Things that happen aren't that exciting, but they have to happen, and Winry so far annoys me far less than in the first anime. Almost not at all. She is also ten times as pretty.

Something that did annoy me was the lack of consistency in Ed's character. I mean, I love manga Ed to bits, and it might just be my flu making me cranky, but Ed in this anime seems to be bipolar. We get the cocky, confident, uber-cool Ed in the first two and a half episodes. Then we get angsty and near-catatonic Ed, who reverts to his cheerful self as soon as he's been punched by Al. There must be a magic switch. In this episode, we still have the cheerful, determined Ed, who then completely out of the blue shows great compassion and leaves Dr. Marcoh without the Philosopher's Stone, because other people might need it, and without the research notes, because... well, for no reason. Just to be a nice guy for once. The magic switch is activated again, however - probably when he's hit by a wrench - and from this compassionate creature Ed suddenly turns into a selfish one. His *only* worry is to get back to Central - he does not even spare a thank you to the two women who'd worked tirelessly to give him new automail. It's like - a kaleidoscope of various Eds. And we don't get a smooth transition between them, or much time to get used to a single one. And I don't know why I didn't have such a problem with the manga or the first anime; it might actually be a problem of pacing.

And I'm pretty sure that the other, more general thing, which has been exacerbated by this episode, is definitely the result of fast pacing. It's the fact that leaving Dr. Marcoh without the Stone for some reason required Ed to spill his life story to still *another* person. This whole human transmutation taboo thing is rapidly losing its "super sekrit" status, since they tell someone about it in every single episode and nobody seems to bat an eyelash. (Okay, except Roy that once.) I mean, every single episode. The Ice Alchemist (was that his name?) figures it out within about two seconds. Cornello does too. Tucker gets told. Scar... well, half the military gets to know in that episode. Now, Marcoh. And I know that all these people have to know for plot or strategic reasons, but it's really diluting the value of this super taboo since nobody's even *reacting* to the fact that not only did Ed at his age attempt a transmutation, but survived it, too. Isn't it supposed to be a big deal?

*stares at post* Oh my god, it's a rant. I didn't mean to rant quite so badly. I still *do* like this anime, and by default like it more than the first one. And I enjoyed this episode. The way some things inevitably have to be presented, however, seem to bug me, although it is very likely that I'm alone in this =)

+Quote Post
crazyanimefan
post May 10 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #22

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,696

Yay subs!

Anyways, this episode was pretty good. I expected it to be rushed, but the pacing seemed fine to me. I'm a little disappointed in some of the Marcoh stuff they cut, like Marcoh being awesome and trying to beat up Lust, but hey, he'll have some bad@$$ moments later. Ed pestering Winry was really cute. But Ed slept three times in one episode? That must be some sort of record! I think my favorite part was Pinako's lines. She may not have many of them, but when she does speak it shows her wisdom and her tough exterior while still being a softie inside. <3 Yay. The cutest part was Winry discovering the forgotten bolt after the ending credits. I love that part in the manga.

Overall, not bad. The vocal music in the beginning half was out of place, but otherwise it was a good episode.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 10 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #23

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (WinterChanterelle @ May 10 2009, 05:26 PM) *
Something that did annoy me was the lack of consistency in Ed's character. I mean, I love manga Ed to bits, and it might just be my flu making me cranky, but Ed in this anime seems to be bipolar. We get the cocky, confident, uber-cool Ed in the first two and a half episodes. Then we get angsty and near-catatonic Ed, who reverts to his cheerful self as soon as he's been punched by Al. There must be a magic switch. In this episode, we still have the cheerful, determined Ed, who then completely out of the blue shows great compassion and leaves Dr. Marcoh without the Philosopher's Stone, because other people might need it, and without the research notes, because... well, for no reason. Just to be a nice guy for once. The magic switch is activated again, however - probably when he's hit by a wrench - and from this compassionate creature Ed suddenly turns into a selfish one. His *only* worry is to get back to Central - he does not even spare a thank you to the two women who'd worked tirelessly to give him new automail. It's like - a kaleidoscope of various Eds. And we don't get a smooth transition between them, or much time to get used to a single one. And I don't know why I didn't have such a problem with the manga or the first anime; it might actually be a problem of pacing.

Well I don't know all these things you mention are part of Ed's personality. He is a pretty dynamic character. Mind you I think this anime might have upped his depression in episode 5 a little bit but other than that I think they got his character down perfectly.

Sure Ed has that side where he acts like he doesn't care or as you said the cocky, confident, uber-cool Ed. But that's really very much a front because Ed actually cares very much and this is when things like Marcoh (and why he didn't steal the stone) come out. Ed's a whole lot nicer than he sometimes tries to act.

As for the whole depressed Ed again they might have went a little overboard but after what happened with Nina this really brought Ed down a lot and this sort of led into him giving up with Scar. Normal Ed would not have given up so easily but again what happened in episode 4 affected him greatly. His determination and beliefs were tested (and they will be again).
But the manga is all about hope and picking yourself up from despair. So yes Ed had a low point but by the end of episode 5 with a little help from Al he is just as determined as ever. Because as he said "we are alive so we have to push forward".

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post May 10 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #24

Alchemists

Member No.: 17,591

The Ed & Winry interaction was funny. The episode didn't seem as rushed as I thought it would, seeing as how they've combined two chapters.

Denny and Maria next week. happy.gif

+Quote Post
Mistress of Mise...
post May 10 2009, 06:36 PM
Post #25

Citizen

Member No.: 34,631

Bleh. I'll have to agree with most of what WinterChanterelle said about Ed spilling his life story to everyone he meets. I guess I just didn't like this episode very much. The storylines don't mesh all that well. Of course, there were still interesting and funny parts...

I guess I'm just waiting for the next Nina-esque episode. I do wish that everything in between could be as good, but that'd be asking too much... *twiddles thumbs*

--------------------

If everything appears to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post May 10 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #26

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

Next week's the episode where they find out how to make the Philosopher's Stone. And it will be beautiful. And the parts with Shescka will be funny. And there will be false hopes. And screaming. And angsting.
....lots....

and lots...

....and LOOOOTTTSSS.....

...of angsting.

OMG, guys, it's gonna be a roller coaster ride! T_T But after this, there's (I'm not sure if spoiler baring this is neccessary, but...) Barry the Chopper will be introduced after this in lab 5. And then the Homunculi come around, and we finally start getting to the real story. Dreading and looking forward to it!

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Tezrath
post May 10 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 68,129

You want another "Nina-esque" episode?? lol--not me! Don't get me wrong, I like eps like that, but I prefer them spaced out. Otherwise it is just like the short jokes, or the way Ed is sharing his story with every curious person he meets. It takes all the impact and resonance out of it.

I realize that by stuffing two chapters into one episode leaves them with no choice but to cut stuff out..... but two scenes that I missed seeing in this ep are:
1) when Armstrong joins Ed and Al's sparring session..... and they flee for their lives! biggrin.gif
2) and as others have already said; the Marcoh/Lust fight

Other then that, overall a good episode... and I might wish those scenes and a few others were included, but those two chapters are ones that while necessary; are not particularly exciting. So it is probably for the best that they weren't padded and turned into separate stories. That would have caused even more complaints (of that I have no doubt) wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post May 10 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #28

Alchemists

Member No.: 17,591

It was kind of nice to see Ed acting like his old self again. He has been so depressed since Nina.

Is anyone else glad that they made changes to Winry's work clothes in this anime? Much better than the pink bandanna and lavender coveralls from the first series.

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post May 10 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #29

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

Ranty/long post. Sorry.

The intro monologue thing about equivalent exchange is starting to bug me now. I just don't really see the point of it. It's not exactly going to summarise the show for anyone watching late or anything.
Given how much was cut from the manga in this ep, I'm just finnicky about how the time is spent.

How did the art look this week to everyone? It started off looking a bit strange, but seemed to go back into being quite good. Still not certain if its as good as the first four episodes.

They missed the early military bits with some good humour. Probably necessary for time, they did manage to get all the right story in anyway. No Lust on the train though?

ALBOX'D IN THE FACE! (though I preferred the way the manga did it)

I think they missed some characterisation for Marcoh when they're talking to him. He seemed to talk more about the war and implies that the doctoring in that town is his redemption and such in the manga.

I liked a shot of Ed before Armstrong says about "just finding a man named Mauro" at the train station. He looked quite cool. Hope the capsummaries people post that 'un up.

Why did they completely skip Lust's confrontation with Marcoh? It had manga badassery and foreshadowing and awesome! I'm not sure if they can sensibly squeeze this into the next episode, so what? They'll just presume Marcoh went along with her? (again kind of hurting his characterisation)

THERE'S NO TIME FOR THE CORNY AMERICAN "Fullmetal Alchemist!" GUY AND THE STUPID TITLE CARD THINGS!

Winry looks good in her bizarrely small costume intro. I think someone said last week about how people pronounced her name Wendy, I definitely noticed that from Pinako here.
Also, Winry's voice seems a little too high pitched to me. Dunno if they've changed it or what...Maybe it's just high in the context of this episode (lots of shouting and good times). Shrug.

They skipped Ed's explanation of what happened to his automail and the humour there. :\

Another familiar piece of music as Pinako talks about Ed going to the grave. I am still happy with the soundtrack to Brotherhood so far.

Hah, we all love sappy Armstrong.
(but the fansubs on what I watched had Ed say "It's too hot!" when Armstrong went to embrace him. Eh?)

Winry's rant about automail was good stuff.

I know this is such a weird nitpick (I'm a physique weirdo), but Ed's body still looks a little too chiseled for his age. It's very close to the manga though. They definitely haven't given him the bulk of the last anime.

Haha. NEXT TIME ON FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST: Paperwork!

Overall the episode was good, but it was ALL story. So not too entertaining for the people who've seen it all before. I'm sure it's good for new viewers though.
Considerable lack of funny moments considering the chapters its based on though. I think they did try to cram too much into this one and it suffered for it. Could they not have split it halfway through the Risembool part or something?

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post May 10 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #30

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

Well, this episode was good. Not great, but pretty good.
I liked the pacing until the end, when Ed transmutes Al. It was like "Bam!", then "Hey, wanna spar?". I was like, "ok a little rushed there".
I LOVED the part when Ed kept looking over Winry's shoulder! It was so cute and funny! But they drew his hair too long! His hair is NOT that long when it's down.
I agree that them skipping Marcoh standing up to Lust was off. I mean, they show her there and then go to the next scene. That leaves the viewers wondering if something happened to him.
Armstrong was made of win in the episode!
Oh, that American "eye-catch" guy is going to have fans after him with pitchforks!! He is so annoying with his voice.

Sheska, Maria, and Denny next episode!! I can't wait!

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2016 - 01:44 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css