HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

38 Pages V  « < 35 36 37 38 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chapter 95 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others), No future chapter spoilers here, please. :)
Rating 5 V
Kirara
post May 17 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #541

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (Kyelinn @ May 17 2009, 12:52 PM) *
I wonder if Arakawa is setting something up? I remember awhile back Al saying that he and his brother just needed a good cry, but he couldn't cry with his body. Winry had said something about "And then there's this idiot who has a body that can cry and won't." Hmmm....oh well, just reading too much into the angst probably. xD

You aren't the only one I thought of this too, especially since Arakawa seems to not put anything in the manga if there is not a purpose for it. I could see Ed eventually having a good cry, maybe they will even be happy tears once Al gets his body back.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post May 17 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #542

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

I think poor Ed really DOES need a good cry. That poor kid has been through so much. I'm really glad I'm not the only one who's thought of that though.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
mazam
post May 17 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #543

Citizen

Member No.: 49,332

Ed does need a good cry at some point. Maybe he's had a cry or two in private that we haven't gotten to see. I still don't think he's had time to properly process everything that has happened so far. With Envy, I think I understand why Arakawa handled it as she did. Envy died befitting the sin he represented. Him killing himself does leave him with a sense of pride, in that this time he can say he did something no one else could.

Roy and the others arguing over the principle of the matter was a bit iffy to me. On the one hand, I get how the others didn't want Roy to kill out of revenge. If he gets to be Fuhrer and sets that mentality as example, then it will be a land governed by "an eye for an eye". It's not guaranteed that's how it will happen but I see it was ultimately argued as "if you let it happen once, it can happen again" - a willpower issue. But on the other hand, a part of me thought it didn't matter who killed Envy, if he's that much of a threat who cares about the emotional state of the one killing him...and I'm an Envy fan.

I'm wondering how the fight with Sloth will go along. Can the Armstrong's and the soldiers honestly do enough damage to rid themselves of Sloth for good? Then, Izumi being back is very exciting. I think a big part of why she's so pumped is thanks to Hohenheim rearranging her insides. She's feeling better and ready to kick butt!

I can't wait for next month, the Gangan site says Hohenheim will be in it. *excited* The wait will be torture. And speaking of him, I always figured like everyone else has mentioned that Hohenheim will die. But after all this discussion on morality, idealism, etc. a part of me now wonders if he will truly get his wish. Despite him wanting to die to be with Trisha, what if instead he will end up regaining his mortality along with Al getting his body and Ed his limbs. (Maybe this gives Izumi that chance to get back her missing organs too.) In that way, he can live the rest of his life seeing his boys have a normal life. I think that way he can die prouder returning to Trisha. Just wanting to die seems selfish to me now.

Bleh, almost too much of a happy ending. I dunno.

+Quote Post
chaton
post May 18 2009, 01:18 AM
Post #544

Citizen

Member No.: 68,720

QUOTE (Krokgard @ May 17 2009, 11:43 AM) *
@ Krokgard: I don't see it in Ch. 5 of the manga. Maybe it was in one of the anime episodes with Tucker? I don't recall, but I don't think Ed gets hit in this scene.

I' m talking about these pictures:

Great find! I'm totally impressed! I looked it up to see it after you mentioned it, but I guess I was looking for something a little more obvious and flipped right by it. I completely missed it- I'm quite amazed you remembered something so subtle.

+Quote Post
Krokgard
post May 18 2009, 06:19 AM
Post #545

Citizen

Member No.: 68,794

Bleh, almost too much of a happy ending.

I think that this is the problem!!! Al gets his body back, Ed gets his limbs back, Izumi gets her organs back, Hohenheim gets back his mortality but doesn't die... it would be the "total supreme happy end", maybe too much happy to happen!
Great find! I'm totally impressed! I looked it up to see it after you mentioned it, but I guess I was looking for something a little more obvious and flipped right by it. I completely missed it- I'm quite amazed you remembered something so subtle.

Thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 18 2009, 07:26 AM
Post #546

QUOTE (Krokgard @ May 18 2009, 07:19 AM) *
Bleh, almost too much of a happy ending.

I think that this is the problem!!! Al gets his body back, Ed gets his limbs back, Izumi gets her organs back, Hohenheim gets back his mortality but doesn't die... it would be the "total supreme happy end", maybe too much happy to happen!

I see a lot of people worried about this but lets not complain about a possibility until we actually see the ending. I mean people seem to act (not you guys but I've been seeing this attitude in general) that it is set in the stone that the manga is going to end happily ever after. Even if the manga has a generally happy ending I am sure it will not be corny and that Arakawa will make it work. Also my advice is to not hope for any particulars but just to sit back and enjoy what develops.

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post May 18 2009, 07:45 AM
Post #547

Apprentice

QUOTE (chaton @ May 18 2009, 03:18 AM) *
QUOTE (Krokgard @ May 17 2009, 11:43 AM) *
@ Krokgard: I don't see it in Ch. 5 of the manga. Maybe it was in one of the anime episodes with Tucker? I don't recall, but I don't think Ed gets hit in this scene.

I' m talking about these pictures:

I found a couple more, because I just happened to remember this chapter.

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/53/29/

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/53/30/

To be honest, I'm really hoping that the brothers get their happy ending. All they've done is suffer and fight, nearly dying, and working so hard. If Hohenheim is a Philosopher's Stone, do you think it's possible that he may sacrifice himself for his sons?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 18 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #548

QUOTE (Kyelinn @ May 18 2009, 08:45 AM) *
To be honest, I'm really hoping that the brothers get their happy ending. All they've done is suffer and fight, nearly dying, and working so hard. If Hohenheim is a Philosopher's Stone, do you think it's possible that he may sacrifice himself for his sons?

I haven't made up my mind about what will happen to Ed & Hohenheim and some of the other characters but I certainly expect Al to get his body back.

As for whether Ed will get his limbs back or Hohenheim will live or not, or whether other characters live or die I have no idea. Well no matter what happens I expect that Arakawa will make it work. I don't expect the ending to feel like everything is solved and they all lived happily ever after and everything will be all rainbows and puppies. You can have a generally happy ending and still make it feel realistic and still make it fit with the feel of the manga. I tend to like bittersweet endings the most but I trust that no matter what type of ending Arakawa gives us she will make it wonderful. Maybe I have too much faith in Arakawa but I never have been disappointed by her yet. Of course it also helps that as I said above I don't have any set expectations I just sit back and enjoy the story that Arakawa is trying to tell. Honestly she has been doing a pretty great job with the 95 chapters so far.

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post May 18 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #549

Apprentice

All I can say is that she had better not...BETTER NOT kill off Edward. We got a sort of crappy deal with the ending of the anime with the brothers being separated and then the ending of the movie...I don't even wanna GO there x___x If Al gets his body back, that'll be great. I'd be happy to see Ed keep his automail limbs *cough*butthat'stheedwinfangirltalkinginme*cough* tongue.gif Seriously though, I just want to those two get their happy ending. I don't want to see them going through anything else. Chapter 96 just needs to hurry up and get here already! lol I'm too impatient. ^^; But I digress. She has done an amazing job telling the story all 95 chapters and I think she'll still continue to do so. Though it makes me wonder, does she have the whole story idea written out already or is it one of those just making stuff up as she goes along for it? In any case, it's wonderful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SneakyRuler
post May 18 2009, 08:27 AM
Post #550

Alchemists

Member No.: 67,760

Just to get Al's body back wouldn't cause Hohenheim any trouble... if you remember that Edward performerd human transformation on himself to get out of Gluttony's stomach. He used Envy's stone and got himself, Envy and Ling safely through the gate - and Envy walked away almost unharmed. To die Hohenheim must show a really big effort
On another note... YAY! Hohenheim! We finally find out what's happening... what Father's plans are...

I doubt Izumi gets her organs back... Hohenheim could've provide her with new ones if he wanted (my silly believe) but instead he said the loss would represent her sin

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 18 2009, 08:44 AM
Post #551

QUOTE (SneakyRuler @ May 18 2009, 09:27 AM) *
Just to get Al's body back wouldn't cause Hohenheim any trouble... if you remember that Edward performerd human transformation on himself to get out of Gluttony's stomach. He used Envy's stone and got himself, Envy and Ling safely through the gate - and Envy walked away almost unharmed. To die Hohenheim must show a really big effort
On another note... YAY! Hohenheim! We finally find out what's happening... what Father's plans are...

Well I don't think Hohenheim will be the one to get Al's body back. In the same chapter you are talking about Ed could not get Al's body back because it was not his body. I am pretty sure if anyone is going to get Al's body back it will have to be Al himself.

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post May 18 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #552

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

Why do people NOT want a happy ending? Having everyone die in the end just makes the whole story pointless. Obviously, we wouldn't want a totally fluffy ending, but I know that's not what Arakawa would do anyway.

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post May 18 2009, 11:38 AM
Post #553

Alchemists

Member No.: 17,591

QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ May 18 2009, 01:10 PM) *
Why do people NOT want a happy ending? Having everyone die in the end just makes the whole story pointless. Obviously, we wouldn't want a totally fluffy ending, but I know that's not what Arakawa would do anyway.

I want a happy ending. I dont like that whole "someone has to die to make the story meaningful" thing.

I really wouldn't mind Ed keeping his automail at the end though. After all, when it came to restoring their bodies, Ed began his journey mainly to get Al back to normal.

And I know I've said this many times already but. "I WANT DENNY AND MARIA TO CONFESS THEIR LOVE FOR EACH OTHER!"

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 18 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #554

QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ May 18 2009, 11:10 AM) *

I think people automatically assume that a happy ending would be corny. But of course that does not have to be the case. Personally I expect the ending for FMA to be generally happy. However a generally happy ending does not mean everything will be perfect and everything that happened before will suddenly be negated. As you said a happy ending does not have to equal a fluffy unrealistic ending.

As for character deaths I agree. I don't mind when they are used to push the story and/or characters forward. But I hate when they are there just for shock value or just to make things more sad. Personally I feel this is a lazy way to tell a story.

+Quote Post
Krokgard
post May 18 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #555

Citizen

Member No.: 68,794

Why do people NOT want a happy ending?

Personally, I would really like a happy end, but...
Obviously, we wouldn't want a totally fluffy ending, but I know that's not what Arakawa would do anyway.

That's the point smile.gif
PS:

2 splendid pages, I really like that chapter

+Quote Post

38 Pages V  « < 35 36 37 38 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2016 - 10:50 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css