Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pokemon Heartgold And Soulsilver
Little Washu
post Nov 28 2009, 09:43 AM
Post #61

Lt. General

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,492

^I refused to play Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver because I would not fall into the stereotype that Pokemon is for boys. Kris's creation was acknowledgment that girls like it too. She was truly the best addition to the games. She could even be considered a major landmark in Pokemon (game) history. Without her, I'd have never even touched the games. Even her design has a charm that none of the other female characters have, she looks to be a stringer female character rather than an obnoxious one like May or Dawn.

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Nov 29 2009, 04:46 AM
Post #62

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

QUOTE (Little Washu @ Nov 28 2009, 08:35 AM) *
Never refer to HER in such an insulting way. GOLD was of course brought back.

Yeah, cause you know, being a dude is such a bad thing, right?^

Silver's where it was at back in the day for me. Never played Gold.

@Forsaken Love: Someone who get's it, yay! I played Blue first, and loved it. Then came Yellow, which I loved even more at the time. And then you had the main game in Silver, which was great, and then, you got to travel to Kanto again. Nostalgia <3

After that, I've only played parts of Fire Red and Ruby, and none of them gave me the same joyous feeling that the older games did, despite the upgraded graphics and new features etc. I feel like the older games had more creativity to them, less spaced out and cartoonish monsters, and everything still felt new and exciting. The joy of exploration was still there.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Nov 29 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #63

Lt. General

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Nov 29 2009, 04:46 AM) *
QUOTE (Little Washu @ Nov 28 2009, 08:35 AM) *
Never refer to HER in such an insulting way. GOLD was of course brought back.

Silver's where it was at back in the day for me. Never played Gold.

*facepalm* GOLD IS THE GUY'S NAME. YOU PLAYED AS GOLD.

Kris was the first female character. Calling her a "he" is just throwing her in with all the lame default male characters.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Nov 29 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #64

Wow, way to defend your nerdiness *applause*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Nov 29 2009, 01:34 PM
Post #65

Lt. General

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Nov 29 2009, 01:27 PM) *
Wow, way to defend your nerdiness *applause*

Lol, I'm not trying to defend anything, except the fact that these new games are severely lacking the main thing that made Jhoto so great.

Either way, if I have to play them, I'll just name Kotone Dumb-A$$ or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Nov 29 2009, 01:53 PM
Post #66

So, you're basically saying that one character made the entire game for you? I feel like if that's where you get your enjoyment out of from a Pokémon game, you're missing the whole concept.

QUOTE (Little Washu @ Nov 29 2009, 02:34 PM) *
if I have to play them, I'll just name Kotone Dumb-A$$ or something.

Well, that's mature. And no one's forcing you to play them,.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Nov 29 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #67

Lt. General

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Nov 29 2009, 01:53 PM) *
So, you're basically saying that one character made the entire game for you? I feel like if that's where you get your enjoyment out of from a Pokémon game, you're missing the whole concept.

You're not quite understanding me. I only started playing the games because I could play as a girl. I was in 2nd grade, and have a horrid history with males of any kind. Also, do you think a girly-girl wants to play as a boy? Ugh, never. Kris is proof that they acknowledged girls as liking Pokemon. She was the whole face of Crystal version. Crystal was also the first for many other things. It was the first for animated sprites as well as many other things. Crystal was the best Pokemon game to date. Then, they had the nerve to replace one thing that made Crystal so great.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Nov 30 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #68

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

I understand what your saying, but I just never saw it as much of a big deal, yah it was great they introduced the female player, course it was, but I don't really see much difference between kris or any of the others, and as i said before, playing as a boy before kris was invented was fine to me, i was brought up as a gamer by my brothers and cousin and was perfectly accoustomed to all the main game characters been male and didnt really think anythin of it tbh XD games are a technology which start of primitive and evolve, red and blue in particular lacked personalization to me and so i didnt mind the male character whats so ever, in the same way I don't care Link is a guy when i play him, I just named my character Ash and thought i was playing as him XD It's great there are girls now, but i just don't think its that big of a deal there wasn't in the first few, the design of the early games I don't think were strained by it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Nov 30 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #69

QUOTE (Little Washu @ Nov 29 2009, 03:19 PM) *
You're not quite understanding me. I only started playing the games because I could play as a girl. I was in 2nd grade, and have a horrid history with males of any kind. Also, do you think a girly-girl wants to play as a boy? Ugh, never. Kris is proof that they acknowledged girls as liking Pokemon. She was the whole face of Crystal version. Crystal was also the first for many other things. It was the first for animated sprites as well as many other things. Crystal was the best Pokemon game to date. Then, they had the nerve to replace one thing that made Crystal so great.

I hear you. But why pay so much attention to as whether you can play as a girl ot not? If the game is fun, then that's what should matter the most. I get that you don't want to be a part of a supporting branch of a sexistic industry by swallowing their doubtful stereotypes and playing along as if you were fine with it.

But taking a stance in this matter feels rather pointless, seeing as all it will result in is you missing out an a game you would want to play.

But if it makes you feel better personally, fine.

But think of this scenario: a guy hating a game because the only main playable character is a girl.

As things are today, that would come off a rather ignorant and immature, right?

(I'm not saying it's the same thing, since women have been more or less ignored as gamers and consumers in the video game industry for a long time. It's actually kind of a reversed situation, where being pissed at the same example as in where the boy would get sneered at, the girl would get praised.)

Ah, whatever, there are too many aspects to take into regard, and I'm too tired to get into a gender debate here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Nov 30 2009, 04:30 PM
Post #70

Lt. General

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Nov 30 2009, 02:01 PM) *
I hear you. But why pay so much attention to as whether you can play as a girl ot not? If the game is fun, then that's what should matter the most. I get that you don't want to be a part of a supporting branch of a sexistic industry by swallowing their doubtful stereotypes and playing along as if you were fine with it.

If it weren't for that one character, I'd have never gotten into the games. I mean, from when I started playing the game I've always drawn my trainer as Kris, regardless of whatever region she was in. Hell, I even named the character "Kris" before I even knew that was her name. It's not that the game wont be fun, it's more that it wont be the same. I got quite attached to her character, and then they replaced her, but they didn't replace the male, as if they're saying it doesn't matter what female character there is, Gold is the important one. It's quite hard to explain what I'm trying to say...

To simplify, Crystal version was my whole childhood as far as Pokemon games go, and Kris was like my hero cause I always wanted to be a pokemon trainer, and she seemed to be such a strong female lead. I was excited because I thought I could relive that feeling I had when I was a kid, and am just really disappointed because they replaced her as if she wasn't important. Does that make sense?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Dec 1 2009, 09:17 AM
Post #71

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

;__; washu-san...that was actually such a touching story XD lol seriously, I'm sad Kris won't be in it now T_T and actually where did ya hear this snippet of info?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Dec 1 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #72

QUOTE (Little Washu @ Nov 30 2009, 05:30 PM) *
To simplify, Crystal version was my whole childhood as far as Pokemon games go, and Kris was like my hero cause I always wanted to be a pokemon trainer, and she seemed to be such a strong female lead. I was excited because I thought I could relive that feeling I had when I was a kid, and am just really disappointed because they replaced her as if she wasn't important. Does that make sense?

Yup. Very much so, actually. See, when you say it like that it's a lot easier to see where you're coming from. Pretty much have me convinced that it was a really bad choice too =/

My guess is that they wanted to signify a sense of renewal with these remakes, and that's why they switched female protagonist from that of Crystal. Which of course is like saying that Kris was just an "optional" character right from the beginning.

P.S. When I was a kid I wished that Pokémons would exist for real, and that I also could be a trainer. Like, really wished xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Dec 1 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #73

Lt. General

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Dec 1 2009, 12:21 PM) *
[My guess is that they wanted to signify a sense of renewal with these remakes, and that's why they switched female protagonist from that of Crystal. Which of course is like saying that Kris was just an "optional" character right from the beginning.

That's pretty much why I'm so upset, because they're almost saying she wasn't important. I have the Crystal guidebook still, and pretty much all the pictures for examples are Kris rather than Gold.

Even if they did this I'd be fine, it's just a shame. That's why I'd like to hope for a Crystal remake as well. Kris wasn't in Gold and Silver, so I'm hoping that's the reason why she wasn't in these ones. If that is the case, because Crystal was the improved version of the two (selling more copies than both as well), if there is a remake I can pray for her to be in it. Hell, they can add a 2nd male option too to make it even.

This is all speculation, or even more so what I'd LIKE to happen. I'll hope for it, though I know it's a slim chance it'll happen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Meitantei Conan
post Dec 5 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 42,299

QUOTE (Little Washu @ Dec 1 2009, 03:19 PM) *
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Dec 1 2009, 12:21 PM) *
[My guess is that they wanted to signify a sense of renewal with these remakes, and that's why they switched female protagonist from that of Crystal. Which of course is like saying that Kris was just an "optional" character right from the beginning.

That's pretty much why I'm so upset, because they're almost saying she wasn't important. I have the Crystal guidebook still, and pretty much all the pictures for examples are Kris rather than Gold.

Even if they did this I'd be fine, it's just a shame. That's why I'd like to hope for a Crystal remake as well. Kris wasn't in Gold and Silver, so I'm hoping that's the reason why she wasn't in these ones. If that is the case, because Crystal was the improved version of the two (selling more copies than both as well), if there is a remake I can pray for her to be in it. Hell, they can add a 2nd male option too to make it even.

This is all speculation, or even more so what I'd LIKE to happen. I'll hope for it, though I know it's a slim chance it'll happen.

I see your point. I mean I dont Kotone that much, I mean I usually play as the boy and girl in some series, cause I like to like that. Like in crystal I played as Kris when i first got it since it was awesome to be a different gender. If they make a crystal remake, I think Kris should be in it, cause if they dont gamefreaks fail big time for that. I played as Gold throughout HG/SS. I usually play as the girl in the 2nd part, or the 3rd. Like in Diamond and Pearl, Diamond was a boy, Pearl I chose the girl, and Platinum I chose the girl cause I wanted too, and in Ruby I chose May, soo yeah get my point. But this time I didnt chose a girl since Kotone doesn't belong in Johto, Kris does. I see where youre getting at.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Dec 8 2009, 05:10 AM
Post #75

You've already played the games? How are they? Better than the originals, or worse? Do they differ much? Worth getting? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2016 - 11:27 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css