HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 5: Rain Of Sorrows - Content Discussion Thread,, Warning! Possible Spoilers for the first 5 episodes!
Mistress of Mise...
post May 3 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #16

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,631

*sigh* I had to watch it in mediocre quality with iffy subs, but oh well...

- Pacing was ok. Still fast, but I think I'm getting used to this series' speed by now.

- Ed really did look like a girl. o.O I think it was the hair. (it was kind of cute, though) And I agree that the art seemed a little off. Still, I don't mind that Ed seemed more vulnerable here, more like a normal teenager should. It shows more contrast between his harder exterior and the fact that despite everything, he's still only fifteen years old.

- I'm so glad they included the nightmare. <3 It was suitably creepy.

- When Scar appeared out of nowhere in front of the Elrics, I was like "WTF"? o.O Kind of...abrupt...but the fight scenes were good. Armstrong. *chuckle*

- Same with the soldiers suddenly appearing out of nowhere...they have some spiffy ninja skills. =.=;

- I like the way they handled Al yelling at Ed. Very manga-ish, very fitting.

Apart from that...I can't really think of anything else to say. It was a decent episode, not amazing like the last one, but still fairly good. I need to watch it in better quality. Dx Watching this series still makes me anxious that something will get messed up, but hopefully my paranoia will be reduced as time goes on...

The next episode...is covering two chapters? Huh. Well, that does seem to be the default speed right now.

--------------------

If everything appears to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HannahBlack09
post May 3 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #17

Citizen

Member No.: 65,042

They did a fair job with this episode. It had a quick pace, but they still managed to show the most important things of the two chapters. What I loved was:

*The nightmare, it gave me chills. It was really really creepy. I also loved Ed's expressions when his mother was stroking his hair. Also the face he had when he woke up was incredible.

*The Ishbal flashback was awsome.. really dramatic.

* The part of Riza calling Roy useless was great too laugh.gif

The only thing I was really looking foward was that image when Scar destroys Ed's automail and he has this big shock face. I was hoping I could see it with this new animation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Imbris
post May 3 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #18

Citizen

Member No.: 63,564

I must've watched the same stream as Mistress. I don't speak Japanese, but I know the subs weren't that great.

Anyway, it was a great episode. The pacing was fast, but not too fast. I never got "lost" in the action, which is really all that matters when it comes to a fast paced anime. I'd much rather have it at this speed than the crawl that was/is DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach.

I love how Armstrong totally owned Scar. BEHOLD ARMSTRONG'S BEAUTY!

I'm not sure which was creepier...Ed's dream or the Ishval (Ishbal? Which is it!) flashbacks. I think I have to pick the wonderfully drawn bodies in Ishval.

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post May 3 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #19

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

Oh, I really enjoyed this episode. I don't quite know why, but from the nightmare onwards, it just grabbed me and didn't let go. Maybe it's because my recollections on how exactly things play out in the manga are kind of iffy until a certain point - so this felt sort of like watching new material and was therefore very exciting.

Ed's nightmare is likely to give *me* nightmares. I was so totally not expecting that transmuted Trisha.

Scar pwns everyone. He pwns a bit too much, really, because, yeah, so many people there, three State Alchemists - and he escapes almost unscathed. And later we're shown that State Alchemists are ultimate pwnage, because they pretty much destroyed the whole of Ishbal. So... a bit of a discrepancy, but sure sets Scar up as a super-cool adversary.

I spent most of the episode telling Ed, "Sweetie, move! Now! No no no, stop dithering around, RUN!" I don't quite get his reasoning for lying around like a rag doll once Scar isn't looming over him any longer, but he was generally quite angsty in this episode, so I'll take it as part of the package.

And as I was watching the Lior scene and listening to the Homuncili discuss war breaking out, for a moment there I was like - wait, why are they doing this again? And then I remembered that there's actual good reason for it in the manga, with the map and the conflicts and the diagram and the need for them to shed blood at strategic places. And I was so, so happy that it made sense, unlike the half-arsed plan to make people kill each other and hope that it would somehow produce a Philosopher's Stone!

Oh, and Hawkeye is awesome.

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post May 3 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #20

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

Seriously, I've got a feeling that this episode had a different artist.. Everyone, especially Edward and Alphonse, looked somewhat different.. and the animation was different, too. o.o However, I have to admit that I loved it; it was so fluent! When Ed woke up from his nightmare and moved on his bed, and some of the talking/action scenes were very nicely animated, too.

The whole 'sacrifice' scene with Scar wasn't as good and dramatic as it was on the first FMA, but it was nice nevertheless. smile.gif At least they did REALLY good job with the face expressions. Great episode, as usual!

Oh, and the music when Al screamed at Ed was beautiful. I want to have that as mp3! XD

One thing that bothered me a bit though was.. the 'last' battle with Scar with all the State Alchemists around. It was a bit slow, everyone just kept talking and talking instead of the action. No wonder Scar managed to get away! XD
..And it wasn't all that logical that while he was so close touching Ed's head, he rises his arm and steps away from him from a sound of a single gunshot. If killing all the state alchemists is his main goal, wouldn't it have been just simple to finish off his job and then start running?
No, I definitely don't want Ed dead, and it isn't even possible considering the plot.. but it was a bit weird, nevertheless. XD

+Quote Post
C. Eduardo
post May 3 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #21

Citizen

Member No.: 68,440

I thought the transformation of Envy exaggerated.
Hughes will be an idiot if him fall on this trick.
Envy seems more discreet in the morph, without red lights.

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post May 3 2009, 01:27 PM
Post #22

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

QUOTE (Trakonda @ May 3 2009, 10:13 PM) *
..And it wasn't all that logical that while he was so close touching Ed's head, he rises his arm and steps away from him

Uh, it's a normal human reaction to get frightened by such a loud noise, especially when it comes from nowhere (the street was completely empty and boom, military appeared - now THAT'S illogical)

I thought the transformation of Envy exaggerated.

Envy seems more discreet in the morph, without red lights.

Yes, I agree. Maybe authors wanted to stress his transformation. But I almost got epilepsy'

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post May 3 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #23

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

I didn't have a problem with the pacing. It is a fast paced battle, isn't it? I liked the episode, from the humor to the angst. I don't know what sub you guys watched, but the one I saw was really amusing in the wording of things, like Riza asking, "Why is he naked?" and Havoc saying, "Well, the reasoning is sure to be crazy..." and Roy going, "Oh, sh!t" when he found out that Scar was after him laugh.gif

And of course, I loved the 'useless' line.

And I agree, the animation was a little strange, especially at the beginning of the episode, but it got better after the scene with Ed and Riza (her eyes were HUGE there, and it was really creepy)

Anyway, next chapter is a combination of Marcoh and Resembool, then? Should be interesting to see if they can pull off the pacing.

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
edxwinryfan
post May 3 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #24

Apprentice

Member No.: 59,190

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I can't wait for the next episode when we get to see Winry again! happy.gif This episode was pretty good smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 3 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #25

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ May 3 2009, 04:28 PM) *
And I agree, the animation was a little strange, especially at the beginning of the episode, but it got better after the scene with Ed and Riza (her eyes were HUGE there, and it was really creepy)

Yeah, as if some parts of this episode was done by people who did the first series.
Manga-like Riza disappears and Riza turns into one with really typical "huge eye" anime-face. That was little strange. Hughes looks closer to series-1 Hughes with smaller nose also in some portions of this episode. tongue.gif

But, that and some logical holes aside, I enjoyed this episode very much.
Pacing was fine with me. I'm glad they included Ed's dream scene. It was sufficiently shocking and creepy for my taste.
Loved "uselesss" scene. Riza powns there. ^^
And, I liked the scene with Ed and Al talking at the end. Less serious and lighter mood than series-1. I liked the way they made the scene in series-1, but I enjoyed this one also.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaosugoji
post May 3 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #26

Citizen

Member No.: 67,446

Ed getting his arm blown off by Scar was always one of my favorite FMA moments. Putting it in the middle diluted the impact. The pacing was quick, but this couldn't be split into two episodes without having to pad them both out. I'm more worried about condensing the return to Resembool/meeting with Marcoh storylines, especially since the Resembool chapter has enough to warrent a full episode.

The emotions and characterizations were dead on though. The staff really nailed the brotherly bond between Ed and Al in this episode.

+Quote Post
Anakishi
post May 3 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 67,896

Finally, I was able to watch the nightmare scene! biggrin.gif Pretty cool, but not so shocking, after all the spoilers.
I'm not so sure about this 1 ep/2 chapters speed, I mean, they did this one quite well, but I'm still worried about next one.

I think I know what looked off about Ed's appearance, and why he looked like a girl: it was definitely the hair. Sometimes, it was too long, most of the time it was too short! It did make him look really helpless, which I enjoyed, but he was also like 2 years younger. Romi Paku didn't do as good as she did last episode: her voice was a bit monotone...

The scene with all the millitary people popping out of nowhere was so unrealistic it was actually funny. And what the hell was up with them, pondering about Scar's motivations instead of, you know, shooting and arresting him?! Scar abandoning Ed when he found another target was rather strange, too. And I can only guess Ed was at shock, so he couldn't get up by himself.

Other than that, great episode, loved all the humor, and absolutely ADORED the animation, It felt just like a movie! <3 The sound when Mustang tried to make a spark was priceless, Armstrong was, eh... himself, and the Lior conflict was done nicely. Envy's voice totally suits him, you can't tell wether it's male or female happy.gif

@WinterChanterelle: I'm also so glad the homunculi's plans make actual sense this time! Never bought that junk about starting wars, sitting and waiting for something to randomly happen

--------------------
- Goodbye, FMA, please help me find the strength to move on and get stronger, too!! ^^
- If I don't answer your reply, it could be because:
1) I'm too busy to turn on my computer.
2) I got shy, and didn't come back to the discussion.
3) I hate you, and I'd rather ignore you.
4) Your point got me speechless, congratz!

+Quote Post
Radadinator
post May 3 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #28

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,706

Overall, this episode was pretty sweet. Not as good as the Nina episode, but with better pacing than episode 2.

Ed seemed a lot more passive while fighting Scar than in the first anime, but I guess it's because of his vulnerability, which I'm glad they made more apparent in this episode. I also liked how the chase scene was drawn out, made everything look more haphazard.

The animation quality wasn't that great. (Especially with Al.) Hopefully they're saving the budget for more important scenes.

Scar popping out of nowhere didn't make any sense, but the music abruptly ending there was nice.

And I liked that shot near the end with Winry and her geeky goggles.

It worries me that they're condensing Marcoh and Risembool into the next episode, though. :/

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post May 3 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #29

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

QUOTE (Kasumisty @ May 3 2009, 11:27 PM) *
QUOTE (Trakonda @ May 3 2009, 10:13 PM) *
..And it wasn't all that logical that while he was so close touching Ed's head, he rises his arm and steps away from him

Uh, it's a normal human reaction to get frightened by such a loud noise, especially when it comes from nowhere (the street was completely empty and boom, military appeared - now THAT'S illogical)

Well yeah, but that wasn't the main thing that really bugged me. He was so close to killing Ed, yet he left him all alone after he saw Mustang. I dunno, maybe because they were confronting him, but Ed would have been an easy catch to do out quickly, just laying there by his feet.

But heck, that's how anime always works. tongue.gif

Sorry, I guess I didn't type that clearly enough in the first post. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post May 3 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #30

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

No problem smile.gif

About Ed laying still, maybe he was in deep shock (after all, a lot happened to him in such a short time) or he wanted to die. He seemed broken since the Nina incident

Or maybe he fell asleep...

Btw

That smile kills kittens...

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2016 - 07:52 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css