HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Episode 5: Rain Of Sorrows - Content Discussion Thread,, Warning! Possible Spoilers for the first 5 episodes!
Tombow
post May 2 2009, 02:58 PM
Post #1

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 5 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 5 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode
NOTE: Please be aware that TvAnts has failed to stream last episode (episode 4.)
Streaming on KeyHole TV went as scheduled for episode 4.

NOTE: For this episode (episode 5) there will be a temporary change of air-time. Episode 5 will air Sunday, May 3 2009, 5:30 PM ~ 6:00 PM in Japan.

* For all FMA Brotherhood anime fans who do not have access to the official English subbed episodes on Fanimation.com, the transcriptions of English subbed episodes on Fanimation.com will be posted sometime later on Transcritions of official English sub thread.

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, episode title is from official English sub on Funimation, and the naming of "Destraction's Right hand" is from series-1, episode 14. )
Episode 5: "Rain of Sorrows"
A mysterious and elusive killer who hunts only the State Alchemists, and sending chilling sensation throughout Amestris, Scar. He is now spotted in East City.
By chance, Ed and Al encounter him in town. Immediately, Scar attacks Ed. Ed and Al fight back, but they are overwhelmed by his transcendent skills in martial art, coupled with his mysterious "Destruction's Right Hand"....

NOTE: The normal airing schedule (5:00 PM ~ 5:30 PM on Sunday in Japan) will resume next episode (episode 6)

=======================================

Episode Summary: (courtesy of Edamame)
Ed awakens from a nightmare where he is haunted by gruesome images of his mother and Nina. Consumed by the images in his nightmare, Ed along with Al make their way to headquarters in East City where they are greeted by Riza Hawkeye. Ed asks Riza what has become of Tucker and Nina, only to learn that Tucker was originally supposed to be put on trial and have his qualifications as a State Alchemist revoked, but was killed along with his daughter Nina. Meanwhile, in the city of Reole, it appears as though Father Cornello has once again gathered a group of loyal followers to preach his sermons to. The strange part of the matter is that Father Cornello should have died at the hands of his attackers Lust and Gluttony, yet here he is preaching to hundreds of loyal followers and proclaiming that the people of Reole should take up weapons and fight against their oppressor, the state military. Citizens who no longer believe the tainted words of Cornello turn against his new loyal followers, and a rebellion breaks out turning friend against friend. All is truly not as it seems as Father Cornello returns back to his previous attackers and transforms into an androgynous being who goes by the name of Envy. To make matters even stranger, this bizarre trio knows of Shou Tucker’s death and the identity of the Fullmetal Alchemist who they proclaim has interfered with their work and who they long to use as a human sacrifice. Just exactly who they are and what they are up to remains a mystery.

Back in East City, Colonel Mustang and his subordinates learn the identity of the State Alchemist killer- a man who goes by the alias of Scar. Outside in the pouring rain, Ed muses over the meaning of alchemy and his own inability to protect Nina, but his thoughts are cut short when he is confronted by none other than Scar who attempts to murder him. The brothers enter into battle against Scar, who utilizes alchemy to destroy half of Al´s empty shell of armor and Ed´s automail arm so he can no longer transmute and therefore perform alchemy. Defenseless and in shock, Ed awaits his death at the hands of Scar, but is saved by Colonel Mustang and his subordinates. Unfortunately, Colonel Mustang’s alchemy is useless on rainy days, so his subordinates work together in attempt to bring Scar, the man who murdered Tucker and Nina, down. Riza grazes Scar with one of her bullets, and ends up knocking off the glasses, only to discover that he has the red eyes of the Ishablan people who were slaughtered by State Alchemists in the infamous Ishbal Massacre. Scar escapes back into the sewers before he can be killed. After Scar’s escape, Al yells at his brother for being so willing to simply throw away his life and tells him that they need to value their lives and continue onward despite all obstacles. Latter, at headquarters in East City, the brothers plan their visit to their hometown of Risembool where Ed will be able to get his automail armed fixed by his childhood friend and mechanic Winry Rockbell.

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)
East City:
Scar
Edward Erlic
Alphonse Erlic
Alex Armstrong
Roy Mustang
Riza Hawkeye
Jean Havoc
Maes Hughes
Trisha (brief appearance in Ed's dream)
Thing from Ed's Human transmutation (brief appearance in Ed's dream)
Nina (brief appearance in Ed's dream & flashback)
Alexander (dog, brief appearance in Ed's dream & flashback)
Winry (briefly shown when Ed talks about Resembool)

Reole:
Lust
Envy/Cornell
Gluttony

Ishbal

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes)
East City
Reole
Ishval (no real time action, appears as an information)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Kasumisty
post May 3 2009, 02:04 AM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 59,111

Long time no see.

I can't say much concerning this episode, because my lag in Keyhole reached critic numbers (around 1,5 minutes)

But I can say that:

-Ed looked like a girl all the time, lol
-The pacing was fine, I feared that the summaries of the previous episodes will fast things up, but no, they fit whole chapter in it without cutting scenes!
-The next episode will be with Dr Marcoh <3
-Music was awesome

That's all, I need to watch it again, with better quality

Btw, there was commercial presenting a Newtype FMA extra

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post May 3 2009, 02:07 AM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 67,594

I really enjoyed it <3
And... Ishval flashback <33333333

I'll post a coherent post when I see it in a more calm way lol

@Kasumisty: Why don't you use mms streaming?

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post May 3 2009, 02:09 AM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

@Kasumisty: Why don't you use mms streaming?

I tried, but it simply didn't work for me ;;

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
Alzea
post May 3 2009, 02:12 AM
Post #5

Alchemists

Member No.: 54,118

Ok, I somehow managed to watch this ep but only the beginning of the episode and second part since KeyHoleTV and AntsTV hate me xP But so~ many scenes directly from manga, and useless Roy is useless, yes this part was, is and always will be epic biggrin.gif
I think it was very good episode or at least second part was xD Most of the things today were exactly as in the manga and so it makes me happy^^ Can't wait till subs or at least HQ raw...
Uh, I'm not sure but there was both cms I mean of last SGG issue and one which will come out next week, right? Oh, and in the newest Newtype there will be something about FMA too, right? (I'm not sure since even cms were in separate pictures xP )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anakishi
post May 3 2009, 02:12 AM
Post #6

Citizen

Member No.: 67,896

Man, the streaming went down on me right at the parts I wanted to see the most! (Ed's nightmare, and Al screaming at Ed), now I can't wait to download it, lol (it was 5:30 in the morning, and I was yelling)
For what I could see, art was beautiful as always, Ed looked like a girl because his hair was messed because of the rain. I liked that touch. There are a few parts I felt rushed up, though.

--------------------
- Goodbye, FMA, please help me find the strength to move on and get stronger, too!! ^^
- If I don't answer your reply, it could be because:
1) I'm too busy to turn on my computer.
2) I got shy, and didn't come back to the discussion.
3) I hate you, and I'd rather ignore you.
4) Your point got me speechless, congratz!

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post May 3 2009, 02:13 AM
Post #7

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Just some quick thoughts:

- The animation seemed off in this episode. At times the characters were way off model. I like to think they're saving their budget for Greed.

- Felt a little fast for my tastes. Did a fairly decent job, just not as good as the last episode, because that one took one chapter and expanded slightly, whereas this had two chapters. Not as bad as episode 2's fast pacing, though. More like episode 3.

- Ed's dream was pure nightmare fuel.

- Is it just me, or (and perhaps this is the same case with the manga) did it seem like since there were so many armed soldiers they could have simply shot Scar numerous times? I mean, he can't dodge everyone. In the first series, I seem to remember him causing reactions with the road which scattered the troops.

- Otherwise, a pretty solid episode. Envy's new VA is pretty good. I mean, we're talking about Dilandau here, so of course it suits him. And Scar's new VA is also good.

More constructed thoughts later.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post May 3 2009, 02:13 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Alzea @ May 3 2009, 11:12 AM) *
Ok, I somehow managed to watch this ep but only the beginning of the episode and second part since KeyHoleTV and AntsTV hate me xP But so~ many scenes directly from manga, and useless Roy is useless, yes this part was, is and always will be epic biggrin.gif I think it was very good episode or at least second part was xD Most of the things today were exactly as in the manga and so it makes me happy^^ Can't wait till subs or at least HQ raw...
Uh, I'm not sure but there was both cm I mean of last SGG issue and one which will come out next week, right? Oh, and in the newest Newtype there will be something about FMA too, right? (I'm not sure since even cms were in separate pictures xP )

Yes, it has Ed in the cover page, YES >D Which means we'll be having more FMA stuff coming up in the next few days.
I think I'm getting an overdose of EPIC >D

PS. The Roy eyecatch = TOTALLY WANTS *____*

--------------------

Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Haineko
post May 3 2009, 02:15 AM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 68,002

It's way late for me to post a full reaction, but some initial thoughts:

- Holy snap I'm so glad they animated that dream! It was even creepier the way they added that transmuted thing in place of Trisha, and nice addition with Nina too
- Animation was gorgeous.... wow, Liore was done beautifully again, and that fight scene was just incredible, <3333
- Pacing was all right, too. It still felt a bit rushed to me, actually, but then again, this is all that happens in one chapter of the manga. Craziness. oops two chapters, no wonder it felt a bit rushed to me. Sigh it's very late for me XDD
- Overall loved the episode, this series certainly is getting better and better.

I'm also confused about the preview. It showed both Ed and Al arriving at the Rockbell's and them sitting with Dr. Marcoh... those events happen in two different chapters though... are they really going to cram all of those events into one episode? I'm a little worried about that, but also curious to see what they'll do next time.

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post May 3 2009, 02:18 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Haineko @ May 3 2009, 11:15 AM) *
I'm also confused about the preview. It showed both Ed and Al arriving at the Rockbell's and them sitting with Dr. Marcoh... those events happen in two different chapters though... are they really going to cram all of those events into one episode? I'm a little worried about that, but also curious to see what they'll do next time.

They will. I think the standard pace for now will be 2 chapters per ep, till Hughes' you-know-what.
Yes, it'll be a bit fast, agreed, but I'm not minding much actually. As long as they keep everything that's essential inside.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 3 2009, 05:13 AM
Post #11

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Haineko - I just added the preview of the next episode (episode 6) from the FMA: Brotherhood official JP site, to the first post as FYI. ^^ And, as amestris_star said, it's probably so that they fit events in these 2 chapters into the next episode.

--------------------

+Quote Post
edo little kid
post May 3 2009, 09:11 AM
Post #12

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 49,158

Hello , everyone ^o^/

I finished watched the episode just now !!
What I say !!
my heart was striking fast from the beginning to the end episode!!
Ed was too cute,lovely wub.gif
I love his hair !!! -happy.gif-
I liked the emotions between the brothers , and the fighting scenes too !!
I was very happy that the events were identical to Manga !!
I loved the comedy too ^^
In brief, this episode is the best one to me!!!
I loved it very much
(it's amazing me)!! happy.gif

Go FMA:brotherhood !!!

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post May 3 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #13

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

Good episode.

I was expecting young ed to look a little more freaked out and scared during his nightmare, but anyway it was a good scene.

The battle with scar sort of came out of nowhere, but from that point on the episode was great.

And... Hawkeye for the win. & she was hot when she gave ed her blue coat

+Quote Post
black~hayate
post May 3 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #14

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,859

The atmosphere was wow...
And the expressions on little Edo's face were so dramatic,
Ed's dream was wow... You could feel it was a hell of a nightmare! The animation in this place was brilliant.
The music near the end was *___*. I'll be the one who gets the OST (if there will be one) first.
I loved the expressions of the military when Ed and Al were fighting.
And the flashbacks to Ishval were so dramatic. Very well made.

--------------------
You have to leave me alot of cute messages! I love messages =3

Bark! Bark bark bark!

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post May 3 2009, 09:28 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (black~hayate @ May 3 2009, 06:26 PM) *
The atmosphere was wow...
And the expressions on little Edo's face were so dramatic,
Ed's dream was wow... You could feel it was a hell of a nightmare! The animation in this place was brilliant.
The music near the end was *___*. I'll be the one who gets the OST (if there will be one) first.
I loved the expressions of the military when Ed and Al were fighting.
And the flashbacks to Ishval were so dramatic. Very well made.

I was SO looking forward for the nightmare sequence and the Ishval flashback *___*
And they did it right >D

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2016 - 12:14 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css