HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 4: An Alchemist's Anguish - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Possible Spoilers for the first 4 episodes!
Rating 5 V
Alzea
post Apr 26 2009, 02:09 AM
Post #16

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 54,118

Wow, this photos, niiice^^ Thanks Elemental/Alchemist. Yes, Ms.Arakawa is amazing.
Thanks Tombow for info. This girl really did a great job, it makes me wonder how Elysia's VA will do on Hughes' funeral...
I liked filler with Gran but I'd love to see Gran's death made as in the 15th volume's omake xD

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Apr 26 2009, 02:11 AM
Post #17

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 67,594

QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 26 2009, 11:09 AM) *
Wow, this photos, niiice^^ Thanks Elemental/Alchemist. Yes, Ms.Arakawa is amazing.
Thanks Tombow for info. This girl really did a great job, it makes me wonder how Elysia's VA will do on Hughes' funeral...
I liked filler with Gran but I'd love to see Gran's death made as in the 15th volume's omake xD

With respect to Elysia... I'd better prepare a whole box of tissues.

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Elemental/Alchem...
post Apr 26 2009, 02:14 AM
Post #18

Apprentice

Member No.: 28,136

@ Tombow my pleasure, good to be back and see a familiar face happy.gif

QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 26 2009, 04:09 AM) *

Oh man they better do him justice and make that episode rock.... Hughes is a huge driving force behind Roy's entire storyline in the manga (as it is intended)... lets just wait and see for that one

--------------------
Roy's partner in arms - Maes Hughes:
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Haineko
post Apr 26 2009, 02:31 AM
Post #19

Citizen

Member No.: 68,002

My initial impressions of this episode:

- The pacing was spot-on perfect. Having only one chapter to adapt into about 22 minutes' time did wonders, and I am very optimistic that this trend will continue now that from here on out, the plot moves forward quite complexly that will make abridging pretty much impossible.

- I didn't like the narrator recapping the previous episode and felt it really wasn't necessary. It might be intrusive in later episodes that require greater continuity, but I can live with it.

- I loved the introduction of Scar in the beginning as it manages to simultaneously fill in the holes with General Basque Grand's murder, introduce us to Denny and Maria (yay!), and not make me go WTF! like I did in the manga when Scar appeared out of nowhere at the end. The mini-fight was awesome to see, and Scar himself looked great, suitably menacing and mysterious. Did I mention I loved seeing Denny and Maria get more screentime? Oh, and it was great seeing Mustang's team again, serious love for that.

- I guess they're skipping over Youswell for sure then? Maybe they'll have some flashbacks when Yoki meets up with the Elrics later on.

- My GOD, Nina was sooo cute! T_T Sometimes I feel like VAs can try too hard to be cute, but her voice was just perfect. And Alexander was just as adorable, his little whines just pierced my heart. I felt like hugging them and snatching them away from that house. Those little scenes with Nina placing flowers on Alexander's head, and playing with the Elrics (fantastic music too) just made me tear up inside because I knew what was going to happen. I also liked the addition of that brief flashback that connected Nina's father being distant to Ed and Al's own father alone in his study.

- I was going ohsh--ohsh--ohsh-- the whole time Ed and Al were entering the house T_T

- That moment when Ed realizes the truth was just amazing. I love how the music just stops as his eye widens in shock. Silence was the only proper response for such a moment. Paku Romi's performance is amazing yet again. When Ed pushes Tucker against the wall and then Ed punches him over and over again... wow, that was such a powerful scene. And then the addition of Ed kicking away the pocket watch while Tucker obsesses over it was excellent as well. It really highlighted Ed and Al's questioning of themselves as alchemists for the first time.

- The rain scene was done very well also, I really commend the music for making these scenes come alive. And Paku Romi, Paku Romi, oh, how I love you! No one else could ever play Ed the way you can. I also liked the way the episode ended with Ed and Al sitting there in the rain.

So yeah, overall, the best episode so far. I have to say that watching this made me have a huge lump in my throat the whole time, which is unusual for me because I read this chapter over again just today, and I thought I was already prepared for it. Boy, was I wrong XD. Animation, at its best, just has the power to move people. Anyways, this was just such a well-done episode, I'm very pleased.

+Quote Post
Anakishi
post Apr 26 2009, 04:30 AM
Post #20

Citizen

Member No.: 67,896

I can't believe TVants managed to crash on me right in time to miss FMA!! I woke up at 4:40 am for this?!
now I realize just about everyone had the same issue...
Well, in my desperation, I managed to find a DDL link to the raw episode, and was able to watch it full, without crashing and/or synching problems between audio and visual (no offense to keyhole tv, I know it's legal and all, but it's just unbearable). All I can really say is YESS, I KNEW IT!!

I was kind of afraid of what they'd do to this episode, since the one from the first anime made me stare at the screen in total shock. This time around I am already aware of what's gonna happen, have read the manga and all, so I'm not gonna be in shock and that's okay... is what I thought. But I wasn't prepared for that: it was just about the same feeling I had the first time! Truly amazing, now I know I was right for trusting the producers.

So Nina's voice was really done by a 9 year old? Yeah, you can definitely tell. I always had the impression japanese programs refrain from using small kids for some reason. Well, that was some IMPRESSIVE acting, they should do this more often from now on.

I, too, enjoyed to see the little Hohenheim flashback that linked Nina's situation to the Elrics. Just now I realize why Ed made that face, and then suddenly wanted to play. It all makes sense! biggrin.gif That was something I missed, even after reading the manga. Good job, BONES.

That is all I have to say for now, and sorry about the incomprehensible english, it's 8:00am and I really need some sleep.

--------------------
- Goodbye, FMA, please help me find the strength to move on and get stronger, too!! ^^
- If I don't answer your reply, it could be because:
1) I'm too busy to turn on my computer.
2) I got shy, and didn't come back to the discussion.
3) I hate you, and I'd rather ignore you.
4) Your point got me speechless, congratz!

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Apr 26 2009, 05:19 AM
Post #21

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

Not a review, but a certain point connected to this story. I wondered what Hughes thought about the Tucker incident? Definitely not good. Here is a guy who cherishes the joy of fatherhood...and then he learns about this alchemist who betrayed that responsibility (the shock must have been bigger for AnimeHughes, due to the incident occurring shortly after AnimeElysia's birth). Bet he would like to use Tucker as target practice for his push-knives...
Forgive my OT mumble.

+Quote Post
Becca-chan
post Apr 26 2009, 05:48 AM
Post #22

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,345

Again, I haven't been able to watch the episode yet...so I can't give a review on what I thought of it. ^^;

Although for some reason, my heart's already starting to sink...I always said that I'd like this episode if they put certain factors in it and from what people have said/ been saying about it, it doesn't seem to have any of that in it.

But if it really is true that Shou cares only for his watch in this version...then to be honest, I prefered the original anime's version better; like a person who summed up Shou's personality in the first anime on a Japanese site that I visited a few days ago.
" There are two sides to him; A mad scientist and a loving father" ( although that quote is paraphrased ^^; but the Google translation I got, more or less implied that)

I don't know...maybe that kind of character personality contradiction just seems to appeal to me more; or I'm just taking peoples (who aren't too fond of him) words for granted and jumping to conclusions.
I just have to make up my own mind and see for myself, once I see the episode, right? < : (

Shou-alienated fangirl lament aside though, I would love more than anything to see the cute scenes with Nina and Alexander.
And if there was any scene I've always wanted to see animated, it's of where Chimera! Nina is crying over the body of her father.

I found that emotionally gripping and haunting when I saw it in the manga, so I'm pleased to know that they've included it in the episode. ^^

--------------------
Becca-chan; Your local Tucker addict...I am 100% sane, I swear! O.O;

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Apr 26 2009, 06:10 AM
Post #23

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

God, I wish I spoke Japanese. T_T
Is it out with subs now? now? NOW? XD

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Apr 26 2009, 06:57 AM
Post #24

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 67,594

QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Apr 26 2009, 03:10 PM) *
God, I wish I spoke Japanese. T_T
Is it out with subs now? now? NOW? XD

I've been craving that as soon as the live streaming finished XD

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Goral
post Apr 26 2009, 08:28 AM
Post #25

Citizen

Member No.: 59,458

Decent episode, definitely the best so far (so the rest probably will be in 7th heaven ;P). I even liked the filler with Grand (although he died little too easily, considering he was one of the most powerful state alchemists there were). I didn't like that they've skipped Ed's trip to Youswell (I doubt they'll return to it later). It's official now that they're assuming everyone knows FMA. And that's it. There were more elements that I liked than I disliked so I don't have more to add.

And the subs were out few hours ago. Google
[The_Alchemists]_Fullmetal_Alchemist_2_-_Brotherhood_-_04_[848x480_H.264_AAC][4DE4B140].mkv
or
[The_Alchemists]_Fullmetal_Alchemist_2_-_Brotherhood_-_04_[1280x720_H.264_AAC][3802F060].mkv

--------------------
9 out of 10 connoisseurs recommend watching Kemono no Souja Erin.

+Quote Post
temmy
post Apr 26 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #26

Citizen

Member No.: 67,699

Let's see . . . Initial thoughts after seeing it w/ bad subs:

Not only was the recap totally unnecessary, they wasted time doing it that could've been better spent developing the characters (i.e. Tucker and Nina).

Scene with Gran was nice. Introduced us to Scar as well as Scar's entire philosophy so that his appearance wouldn't be completely curious. I also loved seeing Gran's alchemy. The curious mention of Yoki was also a good way to introduce him, though I think many new viewers will completely miss his importance to the storyline. Nevertheless, nice way to cover their tracks and skip over the Youswell section of the manga.

Yay, office team! I love them. Heh. (Breda seems to have lost weight?) But was anyone else bothered by Roy's outburst at the Elrics? Seemed OOC for him and it irked me. I'm too used to seeing ol' untouchable Roy Mustang behind his desk. Bleh, that may just be me though. (I did love Ed's outburst. Hehe.)

Soundtrack when they first introduced Nina and Alexander (or somewhere close to there) - the piano melody section. Was great. I loved it.

I was actually rather annoyed by how the director kept trying to hint at Tucker's mad scientist side. It annoyed me. I'd rather have had more of the loving father than the glasses-with-too-much-glare b/c it would've hit me more when he used Nina and Alexander for the experiment. (Also, his entire crawling after the watch? I loved Ed kicking it out of his hand, but I don't personally think Tucker is quite that single-minded.

Ed's punching scene with Tucker was neat. His eyes when he realizes Nina/Alexander are right off to his left were heartbreaking.

The rain scene with Roy and Riza and Al - great, great, great. And, ha, Roy looks amazing in the rain.

Nina/Alexander's sniffing of Tucker's hand once he's dead has always killed me in the manga. Glad to see it killed me here too.

So, overall: Great, great blend of humor and seriousness in this episode. Didn't feel over the top, and I loved Ed and Al's scenes with Nina and Alexander. Seeing Ed have the flashback to Hohenheim studying in the lab also provided a nice personal connection with Nina. And Romi Paku = amazing. (Even though I think I still mildly prefer Vic because I like hearing things spoken in English). Pacing was perfect. Not much to actually complain about here other than some characterization issues that probably just have to do with how I interpret the characters themselves, so . . . Overall, very happy with this episode and can't wait for the Funi subs to come out. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Apr 26 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #27

State Alchemist (Major)

I swear to God, if I see one more website telling me that I have to take a survey before watching the episode I'm gonna kill the closest person to me. mad.png

--------------------

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

+Quote Post
spectator
post Apr 26 2009, 09:21 AM
Post #28

Alchemists

Member No.: 34,836

nothing emotional for me in this episode. love the word fighting scene between ed and roy. By the way, it seems that roy ditched his paperwork to his subordinates again.

Finally, I'm looking forward to the 5th episode. I name it "Colonel, you're useless in the rain!" I guess we can see certain colonel growing mushrooms. laugh.gif

--------------------
'Prince of Dawn' Fanfiction - Envoy of Love: The True Prince

Eastern Headquarters' Attraction - Something fun to read.

CoS and FMA1 Fanfiction - Right person, wrong place, wrong time

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Apr 26 2009, 09:48 AM
Post #29

State Alchemist (Major)

Can somebody tell me a SAFE website where I can watch this episode? Subbed, preferably. One that won't make my Spyware Remover freak out again.

--------------------

-Martha Washington

+Quote Post
crazyanimefan
post Apr 26 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #30

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,696

This episode is the best so far. I really enjoyed it. The pacing was nice, and I loved the emotional connection we got between the Elrics and Nina and Alexander. The Hohenheim scene tied the group nicely together and sent little pangs in my heart.

I knew what was going to happen, but I still cried. Ed's face as he realized the truth was great. I think that kicking the watch out of Tucker's hand was a nice element and really made Ed and Al question the way of the alchemist. What really killed me was Chimera!Nina crying and touching her dead father's hands. So many emotional strings were pulled for me. The scene in the rain is really emotional. Paku Romi was fantastic in this episode. This is what episodes should be like.

Introduction of Scar, Maria, and Denny was done nicely. Also, the reference to Youswell and Yoki was a nice touch of the manga without actually going to Youswell. Glad they managed to introduce all these secondary characters that will become really important as we develop further.

I was annoyed a little by the unnecessary intro, but it didnt really detract from my overall impression of the episode. As a whole the episode was done excellantly.

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2016 - 11:09 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css