HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 3: City Of Heresy - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Possible spoilers for the first 3 episodes!
Becca-chan
post Apr 19 2009, 01:27 PM
Post #31

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,345

QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Apr 19 2009, 09:04 PM) *
So why do you guys prefer white Rose to non-white Rose?
(Yeah, this looks like trying to start drama but I'm genuinely curious as to why everyone seems to love the change.)

Just to say, I haven't seen the episode yet since I couldn't find the RAW of it anywhere.
But I did see the preview of the episode...and I'll be honest here, I really don't like ( or rather, I'm not too keen on it) Rose's new look either.

I actually prefer the non-white ( or tanned) Rose from the original series, I don't know what it is...but the new white Rose makes me feel ill everytime I look at her. ^^;
This doesn't mean that I hate the character of course (she sounds interesting from what people have been saying about her in this thread) but I guess it's where I'm so used to her design in the first anime.

--------------------
Becca-chan; Your local Tucker addict...I am 100% sane, I swear! O.O;
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Apr 19 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #32

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

I really don't like Rose's new look either

It's that I don't like it, it's just incredibly bland looking and the skin change is incredibly odd. She lives in a sunny desert town but looks paler than me.
Two tone hair always looks weird but I wouldn't call it odd or out of place. She seems young and maybe it's just the college I go to but a pink fringe is hardly unusual.

That said, people saying they only mean the hair are either in a minority or lying considering I have seen people explicitly citing the skin colour.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Colette
post Apr 19 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #33

Brigadier General

Member No.: 27,366

What have they done to my beloved Rose? ;_;

From this to this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
spectator
post Apr 19 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #34

Alchemists

Member No.: 34,836

QUOTE (Colette @ Apr 19 2009, 03:58 PM) *
What have they done to my beloved Rose? ;_;

From this to this!

They changed her body wash to bleach, I guess.

I have not much comment about the 3rd episode. As always, looking forward to see the episodes after Mustang and co. get transferred back to Central.

One thing about 3rd episode is about Gluttony. His voice let me feel like listening to a retarded Fuery. laugh.gif

--------------------
'Prince of Dawn' Fanfiction - Envoy of Love: The True Prince

Eastern Headquarters' Attraction - Something fun to read.

CoS and FMA1 Fanfiction - Right person, wrong place, wrong time

+Quote Post
Anakishi
post Apr 19 2009, 02:28 PM
Post #35

Citizen

Member No.: 67,896

I think Rose's skin color may be a little hard to get used to, but it makes perfect sense considering the plot changes from 1st series to 2nd: in 1st series, Lior was at the middle of the desert, close to Ishbal. In fact, after Ed and Al visit Ishbal's ruins the first place they go to is Lior. So it's logical that people from Lior look like Ishbalans, they may even be related.
However, I haven't seen stated anywhere in 2nd series that Lior is on a desert: it looked pretty green to me, with all the trees and stuff. And it was surrounded by mountains, not sand, so it wouldn't make sense to see ishbalan-related people there. Thus, they are all white.

--------------------
- Goodbye, FMA, please help me find the strength to move on and get stronger, too!! ^^
- If I don't answer your reply, it could be because:
1) I'm too busy to turn on my computer.
2) I got shy, and didn't come back to the discussion.
3) I hate you, and I'd rather ignore you.
4) Your point got me speechless, congratz!

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Apr 19 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #36

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

It's that I don't like it, it's just incredibly bland looking and the skin change is incredibly odd. She lives in a sunny desert town but looks paler than me.

Ah, the "sunny desert" part is specific to the first series. In the manga, we never knew what was the climate around Lior.

That said, people saying they only mean the hair are either in a minority or lying considering I have seen people explicitly citing the skin colour.

Nitpickers, essentially (well, I hope). When you look at the manga, Rose has clearly the same skin tone than Edward. Scar, who is as tanned as she is in the first serie, is far more tanned than her in the manga.

The white skin also seems to make her more... fragile? It also seems to me that they made her smaller and younger, while in the first series (and in the manga) she seemed to be older than the Elric.

All in all, I think we should look at why they made her dark-skinned and pink-haired in the first series instead of going with the light skin that seemed more logical when you look at the manga. To me, they wanted to differentiate her from the other main girls (Winry and Riza, especially when those are so alike) at all costs : darker skin, black hair, extravagant hair color. And why? Because she was way more important in that story than she was in the manga. You can even say she is more important to the plot than Winry or Riza. The "oasis town in the middle of the desert" and darkening of the bar man were included to make the whole re-imagining coherent, I suppose.

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 19 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #37

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 19 2009, 04:29 PM) *

Ah, the "sunny desert" part is specific to the first series. In the manga, we never knew what was the climate around Lior.

Nitpickers, essentially (well, I hope). When you look at the manga, Rose has clearly the same skin tone than Edward. Scar, who is as tanned as she is in the first serie, is far more tanned than her in the manga.

The white skin also seems to make her more... fragile? It also seems to me that they made her smaller and younger, while in the first series (and in the manga) she seemed to be older than the Elric.

All in all, I think we should look at why they made her dark-skinned and pink-haired in the first series instead of going with the light skin that seemed more logical when you look at the manga. To me, they wanted to differentiate her from the other main girls (Winry and Riza, especially when those are so alike) at all costs : darker skin, black hair, extravagant hair color. And why? Because she was way more important in that story than she was in the manga. You can even say she is more important to the plot than Winry or Riza. The "oasis town in the middle of the desert" and darkening of the bar man were included to make the whole re-imagining coherent, I suppose.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Also, if you observe the characters in the manga, Arakawa always makes her darker-skinned characters with a more shaded tone, like this for example:
Miles
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/66/05/

That Chimera toad guy (can't remember his name xD)
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/73/30/

Rose's skin is white, just like Edward's and Winry's, etc...
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/1/15/

We never actually learn if Reole is a sunny, desert town as it's never exactly specified. I like Rose's new look and I'm sorry, but I was not a fan of the mary sue Rose they created in the first anime. <.< This Rose didn't annoy me at all unlike the Rose in the other anime. Sorry, I was just never a big fan of Anime!Rose...x_x I do, however, quite like Manga!Rose and I like the fact that they made her skin white and toned down her hair.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Apr 19 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #38

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

His name is Gelso in the french official version.

In fact, for him, I hope the anime makes him even more dark skinned than Scar or FirstSeries!Rose. Scar, I've come to associate to the Middle-Eastern type, "tanned" but not black. While I think Gelso is more the African type : the hair style, the (quite annoying) cliché of the big lips, the nose, the skin color, everything in him tells "black" to me.

+Quote Post
Sweetdeath04
post Apr 19 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #39

Citizen

Member No.: 47,146

Either way I don't really mind the change of Rose's skin colour. Both were fine with me. It's the hair... my eyes don't hurt as much now...

--------------------
I'M NOT SHORT!... I'm Huggable!
My Web Work

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post Apr 19 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #40

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

I'm not too concerned about Rose's new skin color. And those pages are pretty clear that in the manga, she's the same tone as Ed.

I need to watch it a second time to truly decide how I feel about it...but in the end I don't think I mind that they cut-out a few things just to make this one episode. Lior really doesn't need to be dragged on to two episodes like in the first anime. And if you want to watch it in two episodes... ...watch the first anime XP.

As for the humor...I wasn't bothered by it at all! I thought it was much better this time. It's just hard to get used to (like in Bleach...the humor there is sudden, but it works like in the manga). Arakawa has amazing humor, that's why I love her so much. Now the director just has to figure-out how to take her inked humor and animate it.

Anyway...I think once they get past some of this stuff here and solidify the anime into it's new story line, things will slow and hopefully be more strict, page-per-page manga based. Though, I am most concerned about Youswell still. That's in Vol. 1 with Lior and if they're going straight to Tucker/Nina how are they going to introduce Yoki?

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
Fullmetal Hippo
post Apr 19 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #41

Citizen

Member No.: 62,248

I thought this episode was ok, not very good compared to the other ones (especially episode 2 which was awesome). I noticed a couple mistakes with his arm though... In the sub I watched Al said he gave his left arm when he transmuted his soul, but we all know it's his right arm.... And then in one scene they even showed his automail on his left arm! I was kinda pissed about that, but maybe I misunderstood...

As for the comical parts, I think they're pretty good, but there should be a little less of them. And when the stone rebounded on Cornello, it was just sad what they did to that scene. Worst part of that episode. I don't mean to bad mouth FMA, I still think this new series is awesome, hell, I absolutely loved episode 2 to death, I just hope they do a better job with the next episode.

Oh, and Rose. I didn't notice the change in her skin color until you guys mentioned it.... I think it's nice, a little closer to the comic as some of you pointed out. And I like that there's a small change in her personality.

I hope to see more of the homunculi soon, they seem pretty cool so far. I don't really like Gluttony's voice change so much, though... It doesn't really suit him.

--------------------
Find me on: DeviantArt | Tumblr

+Quote Post
spectator
post Apr 19 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #42

Alchemists

Member No.: 34,836

QUOTE (Full Metal Elf @ Apr 19 2009, 05:09 PM) *
Anyway...I think once they get past some of this stuff here and solidify the anime into it's new story line, things will slow and hopefully be more strict, page-per-page manga based. Though, I am most concerned about Youswell still. That's in Vol. 1 with Lior and if they're going straight to Tucker/Nina how are they going to introduce Yoki?

Yoki, the train incident (may not be in the new series, since Mustang and co. already been introduced), and nina in one go. Anyone?

I just keep thinking of Hughes's life been shortened as the new series rushes to the major plot.

--------------------
'Prince of Dawn' Fanfiction - Envoy of Love: The True Prince

Eastern Headquarters' Attraction - Something fun to read.

CoS and FMA1 Fanfiction - Right person, wrong place, wrong time

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 19 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #43

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 19 2009, 04:54 PM) *

His name is Gelso in the french official version.

In fact, for him, I hope the anime makes him even more dark skinned than Scar or FirstSeries!Rose. Scar, I've come to associate to the Middle-Eastern type, "tanned" but not black. While I think Gelso is more the African type : the hair style, the (quite annoying) cliché of the big lips, the nose, the skin color, everything in him tells "black" to me.

Ah right, thanks! I couldn't remember his name. Yes, he feels more African-type to me as well. I think Scar won't be quite as dark as Gelso, same goes for Miles. I think Rose's white skin tone and her new hair colors suit her very well. I quite like it a lot. biggrin.gif It's not so vibrant anymore

@Fullmetal Hippo: What scene did they show Ed's automail on the wrong arm? o_o I don't recall seeing it.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
edxwinryfan
post Apr 19 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #44

Apprentice

Member No.: 59,190

Can someone give me a link for the subbed episode?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SonPan
post Apr 19 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #45

Citizen

Member No.: 27,436

QUOTE (edxwinryfan @ Apr 19 2009, 07:01 PM) *
Can someone give me a link for the subbed episode?

Here you go smile.gif
<Snip ...Anyone interested in the link, PM me!! ^^>
I havtn watched the episode yet cause Im waiting for either Eclipse or Taka

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 06:05 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css