HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 3: City Of Heresy - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Possible spoilers for the first 3 episodes!
Popogeejo
post Apr 19 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #16

Master Alchemist

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,420

I like the manga humour but they really need to balance is better and be more selective with when they use it. In Hellsing: Ultimate they struck the balance better by having distinct manga humour/main plot segments and generally avoided mixing them. While FMA's humour hardly ruins the show it does take something away at times.
My only real nit pick was the split screen which seemed completely pointless and never used to any real effect.
Oh, and making Rose white. No big deal but an odd change.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
acaray
post Apr 19 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #17

FMA Milos Foreign Correspondent

Member No.: 63,185

Well, I just finished seeing the episode with subs, ans I really like it !!

Rose's little change of personnality add something to the character. I really really really prefer her here. She was a little passive in the first anime, and here she really struggles with herself and what to think/what to do, when she shoots Al, well, I liked it ^^ Plus, I like her new design, there is not much change, but it's for the best, IMO.

The humor didn't disturb me, I think it was well dosed and well done in this episode. I love the moment when Ed & Co burst out of the chamber with cornello, and attack the guard !! This scene was epic in the manga and they did a great job here !! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Mistress of Mise...
post Apr 19 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #18

Citizen

Member No.: 34,631

@ temmy: I'm sure you and I and whoever else mentioned Ed's hotness are not the only ones drinking in the eye candy this episode. xD

Thoughts after seeing a fansub:

- I thought I was watching the wrong episode when I saw the opening blurb. Hmm. So they decided to keep that?
- The split screens were slightly annoying, but I can live with it.
- I like how Rose actually had to think for herself. Makes her seem so much more real.
- The pacing was much better this time around; I especially loved the part where Al talked with Rose, and the ending...perfect and emotional. The expression on Ed's face was heartbreaking.
- Cornello on steroids: WTF? Unneccesary, but it didn't take away from the episode too much... ._.
- Music and art beautiful as usual. I think we can all agree that the technical aspects of this series is great.
- Glad to see Lust and Gluttony back. x3

Can't wait until the Nina episode, especially considering how important it is to characterization in the beginning.

Edit: I love the manga's humor, and like that they're trying to incorporate it into the anime, but more often than not it's in completely the wrong places. They also need to stop overusing the mistaken-brother joke. Seeing it about six times in three episodes got quite old.

--------------------

If everything appears to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Apr 19 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #19

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

Although a lot of other people may not agree with me, I am enjoying the addition of more humour into the first three episodes.

It's the ten first minutes of the first épisode that are really annoying dry.gif You have the same exact joke repeated four times. First with Isaac. Two minutes later, the same, with the soldier guy (plus, that guy has such an annoying voice and the music when he appears... gah!). Three minutes later, the same, with Hughes. And four minutes after that, the same with Elysia. Having Alphonse repeat that same sentence again and again and again really get on the nerves laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Apr 19 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #20

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

Just finished watching episode three, thoughts will be short:

- Absolutely loved the pacing in this episode, they cut a lot of the filler moments but still kept the really emotional stuff

- I liked Rose's character model more in this version rather than her previous one, the coloring and softer lines helped a lot

- Glad that the humor was kept, there were several great expressions

- Nice to see Lust & Gluttony again

- Ending seemed to have more weight than before, probably due to Ed & Rose's expressions

Time to bring on the next episode!

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Apr 19 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #21

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 19 2009, 08:25 PM) *
Although a lot of other people may not agree with me, I am enjoying the addition of more humour into the first three episodes.

It's the ten first minutes of the first épisode that are really annoying dry.gif You have the same exact joke repeated four times. First with Isaac. Two minutes later, the same, with the soldier guy (plus, that guy has such an annoying voice and the music when he appears... gah!). Three minutes later, the same, with Hughes. And four minutes after that, the same with Elysia. Having Alphonse repeat that same sentence again and again and again really get on the nerves laugh.gif

Heheh, I have to agree. It was a bit too much in such a short time. I mean, the whole missunderstanding joke is fun and is part of FMA, but they could have made a little distance between them. One of them could have been added to the very end of the episode, for example.

But yeah, othet than that, I personally love the humor that has been in every episode. The first anime season kinda got deeper and darker as further as the story went, there was hardly any humor scenes in the last episodes, if any at all. I think it got a bit too heavy to my taste. Adding some spice to every episode once in a while, just like in the manga, definitely could do great. I hope this time Bones keeps these comedy scenes up all the way to the end. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Goral
post Apr 19 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #22

Citizen

Member No.: 59,458

Episode 3 = all negatives from previous episodes + new ones = fail.

It was rushed and humour scenes were out of place. What's more, split screen was annoying (don't understand why director decided to do that, probably he wanted to show some 'improvements'). Basically they've shown most important parts but because they wanted to take into account most of Lior trip scenes it was too artificial (like when they talked with a shopkeeper or with Rose). Also I don't understand the changes. What were they for? Why Al wasn't shoot at by the bearded guy? Why Rose wasn't in Al's armor to know about Cornello's scheme? Why did she have a gun? It didn't make any sense. The way they resolved it (i.e. Rose pointing the gun at Ed and fortunately shooting Al) made this scene hilarious. In manga there are already many coincidences, why then add more of them to the anime?
What I found interesting is that this time Ed took less time to transmute a spear (probably it wouldn't look as cool as before and kids would be disappointed) then in previous episode. Cornello himself admitted that bringing someone back from the dead is impossible and it was the only reason why Rose would want to listen to him (in manga he hinted that thanks to the PS it should be possible), so it didn't make sense for him to say that. Unfortunately that's not all, showing the bloody sign by Al, Cornello's glowing eyes and glaring at Ouroboros when he had a hole in his skull annoyed me. But the most ridiculous part was the Hulk thing that showed Ed's super-strength, he could parry giant's blows easily. It would make sense if Cornello only changed his size and not mass but taking into account that he used PS this probably wasn't the case. Even the music didn't fit (especially at the end, when Rose was talking to Elric brothers). And Gluttony's voice? Yuck.

--------------------
9 out of 10 connoisseurs recommend watching Kemono no Souja Erin.

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 19 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #23

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

Okay, I loved the change in Rose. Her skin color in the manga is white so I liked that they kept it that way. I also liked the change in her hair color. It wasn't so...freakin PINK like it was in the first anime. I was also rather surprised they had Rose shoot Al o_o and Cornello was the one who made her shoot. That was a nice twist.

And yes, I also agree with everybody else that Edward looked particularly sexy, especially when he beckoned for Cornello and called him a "third rate"...he did NOT look 15 years old there at all. In fact, I think he looks a lot older in this anime than he did in the first one, which is no complaint from me! <3 I liked the pacing of this episode, it was well done and didn't seem quite as rushed as the previous one did.

I loved the humor they tossed into this as well. xD It's nice to get to see some humor thrown in, just so the episode isn't as dark and down-trodden. Though Rose and Ed's expressions at the end...gah when Ed's eyes get all quakey like that it's like...;___; All in all it was a really great episode and I'm very very much looking forward to the next one...I'm a sucker for angst and I got a feeling this next one is gonna have it.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
Sweetdeath04
post Apr 19 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #24

Citizen

Member No.: 47,146

Thoughts after seeing a fansub:

- I thought I was watching the wrong episode when I saw the opening blurb. Hmm. So they decided to keep that?
- The split screens were slightly annoying, but I can live with it.
- I like how Rose actually had to think for herself. Makes her seem so much more real.
- The pacing was much better this time around; I especially loved the part where Al talked with Rose, and the ending...perfect and emotional. The expression on Ed's face was heartbreaking.
- Cornello on steroids: WTF? Unneccesary, but it didn't take away from the episode too much... ._.
- Music and art beautiful as usual. I think we can all agree that the technical aspects of this series is great.
- Glad to see Lust and Gluttony back. x3

AGREED!!!!! My feelings exactly!

--------------------
I'M NOT SHORT!... I'm Huggable!
My Web Work

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 19 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #25

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

Ooooh i forgot to add that the ending was particularly creepy with Lust and Gluttony. I wasn't exactly fond of Gluttony's voice, but he only said once sentence so maybe it'll grow on me as the series goes on. Anyway, I'm going back through the episode once more and going to re-analyze it.

Oh, and I agree with everything the above poster said! Ed's expression just...;_; cuts deep, man! lol In all seriousness though, it was truly a heartbreaking expression.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
edo little kid
post Apr 19 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #26

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 49,158

hi !!

what a nice day happy.gif >>(happy)

Just finished watching episode three

what I say ,,,,, !!

three words

( it is GREAT !!!)

I love it , I really love the new style of Rose ^o^

split screen was good ^_~

Ed hehehe cute laugh.gif^^
he is really make me laugh in this episode

and the little sound , that come with ed make me laugh too !! xD

hmm....but I think he is really smallest in this new FMA

Ed was sooo lovely in this episode (hugs)

I like when he bent over to Rose-chan

happy.gif

and >>>yes I a gree Ed was sexy in this episode

Gooo FMA2 !!!

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post Apr 19 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

Yes, that last scene with Gluttony was creepy. His voice doesn't bother me - but then, I'm not really aware of those voices. Like, I couldn't tell straight up whose voices have changed and whose have stayed the same.

This episode works well. The choppiness of the 2nd episode is gone, as is the rushed feeling of the 1st one - the pacing is a lot better. I've always thought that stretching the Lior (Reyole? Liore?..) adventure into two episodes was a bad idea in the first anime and I believe it works better here. Besides, now that I've seen this episode, I'm *really* glad that they've got the whole human transmutation backstory out of the way - because this time, Ed and Al do not suddenly share their deepest secrets with Cornello just to inform the audience of who they are and why they are more metal than human. The audience knows, now, and the plot can move forward without OOC soliloquies.

Rose... *sigh* I've never understood Rose, but it's a personal thing, I guess. As in - I've never understood why, throughout that scene, both Cornello and the Elrics are trying to convert *Rose*. Both are explaining their actions to her. Why is it her soul they're all suddenly after? Having said that: at least here, I can see a reason for the Elrics to care what Rose thinks, since she's pointing a gun at them. So that's an improvement, for me, and her design is too - no more randomly pink hair.

The Latin music is a definite plus; the rebound transmutation of Cornello into something of a Terminator!Archer of the later FMA-1 is quite uncalled for, but does not really detract from anything. Oh, and the bit with Ed transforming his arm into a scary blade is priceless =)

PS with manga spoiler: Too bad that no moving statue was involved, though - I loved the bit in the manga when Hoho-papa came to Lior, saw the statue stuck in the roof and commented on the aesthetic choices of whoever thought it was a good idea to put a statue there...

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Apr 19 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #28

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

So why do you guys prefer white Rose to non-white Rose?
(Yeah, this looks like trying to start drama but I'm genuinely curious as to why everyone seems to love the change.)

QUOTE ("Goral")
Why did she have a gun?

The Deacon drops it and she picks it up.
You're a fine troll, Goral.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
HannahBlack09
post Apr 19 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #29

Citizen

Member No.: 65,042

Here is the episode sub and for the ones who dont like downloading->
< Snip... PM me if anyone would like to know the link. ^^>

I liked this episode, because sometimes I find kind of boring to see the same episodes again, so the moderated quick pace was just perfect.

I enjoyed the new Rose character, the one from the first anime was frustrating. I was glad of the change color, my eyes werent hurting this time laugh.gif

Ed expressions were great, and he looked really hot this episode biggrin.gif

I didnt like that much gluttony's new voice, the other one made him seem more dumb, but i think its matter of time so i can get used to it.

Im really looking forward to watching the next episode, I think that the Nina and Tucker episode is the darkest one during the whole serie, Scar is finally going to make his first appearance, and it has to be great! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Apr 19 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #30

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

So why do you guys prefer white Rose to non-white Rose?

I think it has more to do with the hair than with the skin color. Rose was, with Envy, one of the few characters that didn't have a "realistic" hair color in the first series. And pink...

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 03:22 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css