HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 3: City Of Heresy - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Possible spoilers for the first 3 episodes!
Tombow
post Apr 18 2009, 01:10 AM
Post #1

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 8.

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 3 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 3 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode

* HD Screencaps, courtesy of AA Battery.

* Transcription of the official English sub of this episode on Funimation.com, courtesy of Kale Mustang.

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
Episode 3: "City of Heresy"
(The episode title is from official sub, the preview part is translation by Tombow)
Ed and Al heard the rumor about the town with a heretical religion with the founder who is said to perform "miracle," and travel to the town of Reole to investigate. They learn that Cornello, founder of the heretical religion Leto, performs alchemy that does not follow "Equivalent Exchange." In the town, they meet a girl, Rose, and she takes them to meet Cornello at his temple....

=======================================

Episode Summary: (courtesy of Edamame)
Brothers Edward and Alphonse Elric travel to the city of Reole in order seek out the mysteries surrounding Father Cornello who is renowned for his ability to perform miracles. From the townspeople, both the brothers learn of Cornello´s preaching and his proclamations that God will grant resurrection to the dead. While watching Cornello perform one of his miracles in front of a huge crowd of loyal followers, Ed recognizes that he is indeed performing alchemy yet is ignoring the concept of equivalent exchange; the brothers then notice what they believe to be the Philosopher’s Stone set in a ring around Cornello´s finger, and decided to seek him out. Ed and Al latter meet a pious young woman by the name of Rose who believes that Cornello will resurrect her deceased lover. Out of arrogance and pride, Ed retorts that faith won’t bring anyone back and that alchemists are truly the ones who are closest to God. Cornello learns of the brothers´ plan to seek him out, and sends his men to capture Ed and Al. Ed accuses Cornello of being a fraud who is able to bypass the rules of alchemy by using the Philosopher’s Stone as an amplifier. Angered, Cornello then orders Rose to shoot Ed who he considers a sinner. Rose is forced to struggle against her own morals, but gives in and ends up shooting Al, only to discover that the armor is empty inside. After sending out a chimera to eliminate the brothers, Cornello realizes that the brothers have committed the taboo human transmutation after catching glimpse of Ed´s automail arm and leg. Having escaped from Cornello, Al tells Rose the story behind the failed transmutation and the price they paid, yet Rose still remains blinded by Cornello´s teaching. Meanwhile, Ed successfully exposes Cornello as a fraud to the townspeople of Reole. Realizing that he has been fooled, Cornello attempts to transmute his arm into a gun in order to attack Ed, but a rebound occurs. The stone in the ring shatters to pieces, and Ed realizes that the stone is a fake and that both he and his brother are back to square one. While leaving the city, the brothers meet once more with Rose who is distraught that all her hopes and dreams have been crushed. Ed tells Rose to get up and walk forward because she at least has to strong legs to carry her onwards. Disgraced, Cornello attempts to escape from his once loyal followers only to meet his demise at the hands of two very particular characters- Lust and Gluttony.

Characters in this episode:
Edward Elric
Alphonse Elric
Father Cornello (Founder of Leto religion)
Rose
Lust
Gluttony
Food stand master (minor role)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Apr 19 2009, 01:37 AM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,594

Followed it with manga volume 1 in hands, Chapters 1 and 2 open.
I'm impressed.

(One thing that made go: "Oh well..." was Cornello after the fake PS rebound...)

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Apr 19 2009, 01:47 AM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

For sure, the thing after the rebound wasn't necessary laugh.gif Wonder it it's a kind of "blink" toward one of the omakes Arakawa made about the first serie.

The episode was good, I really didn't feel like it was rushed, and I don't see a lot of things they get out of the manga. Those two chapters really could fit in one episode, the first serie really stretched the story to make it fit into two episodes.

But now, we're getting into the interesting part, with Tucker, Nina and Scar! I can't wait for those!

New voice actors this time. I still love Lust. I'm not sure about Glutonny, I think I liked the previous one more. His voice really made him sound like the mentally retarded character Glutonny is. This new voice sounds a little bit too serious for that character.

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Apr 19 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 67,594

QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 19 2009, 10:47 AM) *
For sure, the thing after the rebound wasn't necessary laugh.gif Wonder it it's a kind of "blink" toward one of the omakes Arakawa made about the first serie.

The episode was good, I really didn't feel like it was rushed, and I don't see a lot of things they get out of the manga. Those two chapters really could fit in one episode, the first serie really stretched the story to make it fit into two episodes.

But now, we're getting into the interesting part, with Tucker, Nina and Scar! I can't wait for those!

New voice actors this time. I still love Lust. I'm not sure about Glutonny, I think I liked the previous one more. His voice really made him sound like the mentally retarded character Glutonny is. This new voice sounds a little bit too serious for that character.

I agree. In fact, you can just see panels directly from Chapters 1 and 2. And I loved that.

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Edward Cardinal ...
post Apr 19 2009, 01:55 AM
Post #5

Citizen

Member No.: 59,819

KeyHoleTV was running extremely poorly for me tonight and I missed the first few minutes of the episode, so I am going to hold off on a full analysis of the third installment until after I can watch the entire episode in descent quality. From what I did see, it seems as though a good translation will be necessary in order to properly judge the overall quality and faithfulness of this installment and therein compare the new material to the manga and prior season. There was quite a bit of dialogue in tonight's show, and as such it really stands to reason that one unfamiliar with the Japanese language would require a localized text so as to fully understand in detail what is transpiring. I do think that tonight's episode looked great, but there seems to be little disagreement concerning the visual quality of the new season. The events of the series still seem to be flying past fairly quickly, but I for one actually think that this will work to the season's advantage. I get the feeling that the directors are trying to get a great deal of hard information in front of the audience right off of the bat so as to convey the complexity of the series as a whole and drive the viewers to a sort of catharsis. A few (sometimes poorly placed) comedic moments aside, I think that this episode met my personal seriousness requirements and proved to be quite dramatic overall. I never really cared that much for the first few episodes in the first season of Fullmetal Alchemist (I fully realize that I am of the minority opinion in this respect), and thus I do believe that, after I get to see a high quality, subtitled version of episode three, I will substantially prefer the new portrayal to that of the first season.

More Latin (or at least Latin-sounding, I am not definitely sure) musical interludes = A+

The Nina / Tucker arc is a great story and pleasingly emotional and violent. Next week's episode should prove to be simply great.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Haineko
post Apr 19 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #6

Citizen

Member No.: 68,002

Just finished watching the stream, here are my initial thoughts (which may change later when subs come out):

- The pacing was again too fast in the beginning, but I thought it improved a lot as the episode went along. It was definitely improved over the last episode, at least. I think it's mainly because much of the material they condensed this time wasn't particularly emotionally impacting or was already touched upon earlier, such as Ed and Al's introduction as alchemists and Rose's introduction. I'm glad the pace slowed down where it was important: Al and Rose's interaction, the confrontation with Cornello. That gets a plus from me.

- I wasn't a fan of the split-screen shots that were used multiple times. It just doesn't look good... and it wasn't as if something interesting or important was going on in both frames. Most of them were just one character talking, and the other just kinda standing there with no change of expression. Very puzzling huh.gif

- I loved loved LOVED the humor in this one. There were many shots and sequences that were taken directly from the manga, which I was very pleased with. Ed laughing evilly and brandishing his scary sharp automail was great XD. I also loved how Rose mistook Al for the Fullmetal Alchemist and then promptly redirected her gun XDD

- Speaking of that scene, I also enjoyed the new twist of having Rose being ordered to kill Ed and Al. I always thought her role was a little too passive and spectator-like in the manga, and having her actively struggle with her own emotions and having her beliefs challenged was good to see.

- On the other hand, the only thing I can say to Steroids!Cornello is WTF.

- Also, Ed has no right to look as sexy as he did here. 15 years old, my [All hail lord Xenu] thumbsdown_still.png

Overall, I felt the studio did a decent job with this one, considering they crammed two chapters into one episode. I think as we finally get into new material they'll start to pace themselves at around 1 chapter per episode, depending on the amount of action and dialogue. That would be the perfect pace for me. They continue to get the mood and feel of the series right, which I think in the long run is the most important thing.

+Quote Post
Trizo
post Apr 19 2009, 02:06 AM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 67,937

Ah, better than the last but I dunno I'm not really pulled in.

I only tuned in halfway through and I have to say: wtf at Ed headbutting Cornello! Was that really needed? I mean, my Japanese isn't 100% but that made no sense to me :/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Apr 19 2009, 04:15 AM
Post #8

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

Keyhole TV was really annoying for me too. The screen kept freezing once in a while, which made me miss most of the humour scenes. (I could hear Ed's angry screaming in the backround, so I knew there was a funny scene going on. ) Ah well, I have to wait for someone to upload the episode so I can see it properly. smile.gif

But indeed, from what I could see there, it was great how they again used manga artwork and expressions in many scenes. It really made me feel all warm inside. biggrin.gif And the twist with Rose holding a gun was a nice touch, too- there's something that makes even this season watchable on it's own, without too much blind following of the manga.

I hope someone uploads a subbed version soon! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Trizo
post Apr 19 2009, 06:10 AM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 67,937

Really? You guys like the little comic outbursts?

Personally I find them irritating... I dunno, they just seem too cheesey for me - I kinda cringe how it detracts from the storyline you know? I mean, in the manga I love them - to be they're like simplified drawings to show the emotion, but on the anime screen it's like, there's enough room to show all that and more! Why take it away?

Ahh yeah, who's knows...Perhaps I'm just growing old.. mellow.gif

Oh and what's keyhole tv? I used this url to stream a Japanese tv channel to my quicktime - it was so cute! I forgot how whacky the Japanese commercials can be (Did anyone see that natto one? ugh!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 19 2009, 07:26 AM
Post #10

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

^ @Trizo - KeyHoleTV is part of a project by Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs testing out P2P (peer to peer) technology. It's free and legal, and it includes TV shows on TBS, hence you can watch FMA episode also.

Keyhole TV and all other viewing options for FMA series-2 are listed on the first page of Where to watch FMA anime series-2 thread. smile.gif

BTW, my computer failed me for the streaming of this episode, and I'm still waiting for the chance to watch it. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edxwinryfan
post Apr 19 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #11

Apprentice

Member No.: 59,190

Is there a sub out yet? If there is can someone give me a link? (preferably not one that I have to download).

--------------------

+Quote Post
black~hayate
post Apr 19 2009, 08:29 AM
Post #12

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,859

I downloaded it in HD quality. Looks awesome...
-I liked the "comic-like"-style. Looks strange at the first sigh, but I growed to like it.
-I love it, because it's manga like! I hated the last anime version of Liore (or what ever) and the bird-like boyfriend thing.
-What I loved most is, that the Liore part diddn't last long. One episode is enough!

Hmm...
-what about the priest grows as big as gluttony, was that in the manga, too? Can't remember.
-the "Rose, shoot them" was new, too, but it fitted somehow.

-It wasn't rushed.
-The music was okay. I liked it, but the scene where Al and Rose were alone, the music was annoying and diddn't fit (just my opinion). But the end and the beginning, they were nice.

Subs? I had to watch it without any *sigh*. But I knew what they were saying anyways, was easy to guess =D

--------------------
You have to leave me alot of cute messages! I love messages =3

Bark! Bark bark bark!

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post Apr 19 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #13

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

Ok, I finally finished the episode after my computer was being a problem sleep.gif;.

I felt this one was a tad rushed too, but not so much. They still got all the basic points across of what this whole thing in Lior was about and kept it in line with the story. I also had my manga out and it did follow it essentially page per page with a few exceptions. (I wished they had Al hide Rose in him when they saw Cornello).

HAHA, I agree that the rebound scene with Cornello was...strange. But I can see the point of it (showing what the PS is capable of...even a cheap fake one).

Overall I enjoyed it and will have to watch it again. I'm anxious for the one next week!

Oh, and the scene with Lust and Gluttony was all too perfect. I really missed those guys. I'll be sad when Roy kills Lust later T__T (then again, that is my all time favorite fight in the Manga and I'm so excited and dying to see it animated!!) ^__^

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Apr 19 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #14

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

I can not make an honest analysis yet, because I did not thoroughly understand the entirety of the dialogue, but the episode seemed to flow and the pacing was not nearly as "rushed" as is it seemed it episode two. I really have a feeling that the directors, knowing that they have so much ground to cover, are trying to introduce as much as possible and set the basic plot up for the viewer. The directors may believe that a great deal of the present audience is composed of people who have seen the previous series, so perhaps they decided that they did not need to focus a great deal on certain scenes. Hopefully, the "story-telling" will become much more intense and the series progresses.

Although a lot of other people may not agree with me, I am enjoying the addition of more humour into the first three episodes. I really love the work of Arakawa-sensei for this reason, because she is able to create a perfect balance between humour and sheer sadness and grief. I know that FMA can get extremely dark early on, so it is pleasing to be able to have more of a light-heartedness instlled in some of the episodes before the story gets serious and more intense. Even though I loved the first series, I really thought that the second season could have benefited a great deal more from a slight bit of humour. I really enjoyed seeing the scene were Ed transmutes his automail into a "blade-like" weapon and then proceeds to wreak havoc on the guards. I am not a great fan of comic outbursts, but they seemed to work quite well here.

One of the most interesting choices that I thought the directors had made, was to have Cornello order Rosé to kill Ed and Alphonse. It made Rosé´s character deeper in that she had to struggle with her own morals and choose for herself what she considered to be right and wrong. The one thing that I did not exactly care for, was when Father Cornello turned into a hulking beast of a man after the rebound caused by the overuse of the fake Philosopher´s stone. Maybe the directors and story-board writers thought that the scene in the manga was too anti-climatic for their taste. Personally, I just thought that it was a bit bizzare, but was glad that it didn´t take away from the episode overall. I am going to view it as a symbolic way of showing the power of the stone and as just how power-hungry Cornello is.

The ending of the episode was fairly creepy, with a dumb-founded Gluttony turing into his raveous "eating-machine" self. I also like how you heard that one sickening cruch of bone before the screen went dark, and the ending theme began. Overall, I was quite pleased. I don´t know if it is just me being a literature studen and language major, but it seems as though the directors are relying a great deal more on music, tone of voice and use of color to create emotion and set up a certain enviroment. ( I am finding that I really like the music in this new series thus far. Yes, I am a sucker for Latin chanting.)

I am really looking forward to the Tucker arc next week, which should be a great deal heavier. I am curious to see how the directors are going to "interpret" it; I thought that the Tucker arc was one of the most intense and moving parts of the prior series.

--------------------

+Quote Post
temmy
post Apr 19 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 67,699

Quick thoughts after one viewing. I'll give the rest when I've seen it again or something.

So, that opening announcerish sequence? Totally didn't know it was going to be that last episode. Still, it would've been nice to have ... an actual character announcing it, but I'll deal. (I did love Ed and Al's blurbs at the beginning of the old episodes.)

Pacing was off at the beginning. I was skeptical. Then it gradually improved and by the end, I'll say that it was almost perfect. I adored the ending; Ed's expression and the emotion when Rose said that they could bring their mother back. Neat!

Also, quite enjoyed Rose's role in this show. Nice to have her seem more human. A character rather than a plot device (which she was in the first anime. Pissed me off.)

Humor was just a bit overdone. I personally don't like the manga humor in the episodes and the simplified manga drawings. They don't mesh well, I don't think.

The split screen wasn't needed - but I like that they're trying to go for new techniques? It looks to me like they're finally trying. Which is always a plus in my book.

Cornello-on-steroids? Ummmmm. Nothing to say here. They should've cut it out. Totally unnecessary and made me roll my eyes. Didn't like Cornello's reaction to the initial rebound either. He wasn't screaming in pain or horror like he was before, and personally, if that had happened to me, I'd be running around scared.

Music and atmosphere were great. Er. Or at least they didn't bother me or detract from the story.

QUOTE (Haineko @ Apr 19 2009, 01:58 AM) *
- Also, Ed has no right to look as sexy as he did here. 15 years old, my [All hail lord Xenu]

Er. Yeaaaaaaaahhh. I couldn't stop staring the entire time. Um. Huh.

Will withhold final judgment until I see Funi subs. But overall, I did enjoy this episode moreso than the other two. We're getting more of the emotion across now. Which means I'm happy. (Such a big fan of the ending scene . . .)

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 10:48 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css