*Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site: Episode 3: "City of Heresy" (The episode title is from official sub, the preview part is translation by Tombow) Ed and Al heard the rumor about the town with a heretical religion with the founder who is said to perform "miracle," and travel to the town of Reole to investigate. They learn that Cornello, founder of the heretical religion Leto, performs alchemy that does not follow "Equivalent Exchange." In the town, they meet a girl, Rose, and she takes them to meet Cornello at his temple....
Episode Summary: (courtesy of Edamame) Brothers Edward and Alphonse Elric travel to the city of Reole in order seek out the mysteries surrounding Father Cornello who is renowned for his ability to perform miracles. From the townspeople, both the brothers learn of Cornello´s preaching and his proclamations that God will grant resurrection to the dead. While watching Cornello perform one of his miracles in front of a huge crowd of loyal followers, Ed recognizes that he is indeed performing alchemy yet is ignoring the concept of equivalent exchange; the brothers then notice what they believe to be the Philosopher’s Stone set in a ring around Cornello´s finger, and decided to seek him out. Ed and Al latter meet a pious young woman by the name of Rose who believes that Cornello will resurrect her deceased lover. Out of arrogance and pride, Ed retorts that faith won’t bring anyone back and that alchemists are truly the ones who are closest to God. Cornello learns of the brothers´ plan to seek him out, and sends his men to capture Ed and Al. Ed accuses Cornello of being a fraud who is able to bypass the rules of alchemy by using the Philosopher’s Stone as an amplifier. Angered, Cornello then orders Rose to shoot Ed who he considers a sinner. Rose is forced to struggle against her own morals, but gives in and ends up shooting Al, only to discover that the armor is empty inside. After sending out a chimera to eliminate the brothers, Cornello realizes that the brothers have committed the taboo human transmutation after catching glimpse of Ed´s automail arm and leg. Having escaped from Cornello, Al tells Rose the story behind the failed transmutation and the price they paid, yet Rose still remains blinded by Cornello´s teaching. Meanwhile, Ed successfully exposes Cornello as a fraud to the townspeople of Reole. Realizing that he has been fooled, Cornello attempts to transmute his arm into a gun in order to attack Ed, but a rebound occurs. The stone in the ring shatters to pieces, and Ed realizes that the stone is a fake and that both he and his brother are back to square one. While leaving the city, the brothers meet once more with Rose who is distraught that all her hopes and dreams have been crushed. Ed tells Rose to get up and walk forward because she at least has to strong legs to carry her onwards. Disgraced, Cornello attempts to escape from his once loyal followers only to meet his demise at the hands of two very particular characters- Lust and Gluttony.
Characters in this episode: Edward Elric Alphonse Elric Father Cornello (Founder of Leto religion) Rose Lust Gluttony Food stand master (minor role)
Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)
FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
Joined: 16-April 09
Member No.: 68,002
Just finished watching the stream, here are my initial thoughts (which may change later when subs come out):
- The pacing was again too fast in the beginning, but I thought it improved a lot as the episode went along. It was definitely improved over the last episode, at least. I think it's mainly because much of the material they condensed this time wasn't particularly emotionally impacting or was already touched upon earlier, such as Ed and Al's introduction as alchemists and Rose's introduction. I'm glad the pace slowed down where it was important: Al and Rose's interaction, the confrontation with Cornello. That gets a plus from me.
- I wasn't a fan of the split-screen shots that were used multiple times. It just doesn't look good... and it wasn't as if something interesting or important was going on in both frames. Most of them were just one character talking, and the other just kinda standing there with no change of expression. Very puzzling
- I loved loved LOVED the humor in this one. There were many shots and sequences that were taken directly from the manga, which I was very pleased with. Ed laughing evilly and brandishing his scary sharp automail was great XD. I also loved how Rose mistook Al for the Fullmetal Alchemist and then promptly redirected her gun XDD
- Speaking of that scene, I also enjoyed the new twist of having Rose being ordered to kill Ed and Al. I always thought her role was a little too passive and spectator-like in the manga, and having her actively struggle with her own emotions and having her beliefs challenged was good to see.
- On the other hand, the only thing I can say to Steroids!Cornello is WTF.
- Also, Ed has no right to look as sexy as he did here. 15 years old, my [All hail lord Xenu]
Overall, I felt the studio did a decent job with this one, considering they crammed two chapters into one episode. I think as we finally get into new material they'll start to pace themselves at around 1 chapter per episode, depending on the amount of action and dialogue. That would be the perfect pace for me. They continue to get the mood and feel of the series right, which I think in the long run is the most important thing.