HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA "Brotherhood" Anime Series General Q & A Thread, Confused about the new FMA anime? Check out FAQ or ask us here!
Popogeejo
post Apr 16 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #1

Master Alchemist

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,420

FAQ
What's FMA:B?
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the second anime based on the FMA manga. This one is stated to follow the manga closer than the previous series.

Why is there another series being made? What was wrong with the previous series?
Nothing was wrong with the last series as such. The simple case is the original anime started while the manga was still in it's infancy and caught up quickly. Seeing it would over take the manga the anime studio, BONES, decided to make their own plot. It ended up being very different from what the manga did so now this new series is here to tell the mangas story.
See here for full details on the 1st anime and the changes it made to the mangas story.

I just want to talk about the previous anime. Can I still do that? Why are the two boards separate?
By all means, you can post about it here.
The reason we keep them separate is due to difference in the story and such.

How many episodes is FMA:B going to be?
Currently we have no definite answer but best guesses would put it at around 51, just like the last series.

Who is making this?
Same as before, Bones. A very skilled studio.

What about the dub?
Funimation says they will have out 9 months after it comes out on DVD in Japan.

Where can I get a subtitled version until then?
You can see this thread for extensive information on where you can watch FMA. We should mention that linking to fansubs isn't allowed due to Funimation having licensed the show in the US. Links to raws are fine though if thats your thing.

Can I make a thread about the latest episode or does someone special do that?
Seeing things have just started we have no formal thread starter or system for deciding so for now it's a free for all. The mods are nice and happy to help so they won't be a problem if repeat threads are made, just don't get upset if they lock your thread in favour of another wink.gif

It's kinda weird how they are showing stuff we've already seen. Wouldn't it better to start where the first anime and manga separated?
It's only weird until you remember this series is also being made to accommodate new fans who may not have seen the first series. It'd be unfair to expect new comers to to jump into the middle of story. This is also why the pacing is rather hectic. Bones doesn't want to spend to much time in old territory so old fans can get their new content as soon as possible. It's a hard balance to hit.
Note: With current pacing ep 13/14 should see us moving into manga only territory.

What happened to the Animation style and Music of the first series?
BONEs has moved on quite a bit since the 1st FMA series was started some 8 years ago. Their colouring style changed heavily with Eureka7 and Soul Eater. Pretty much they've just found a style that suits them and that they're comfortable with. I preferred the old style as well but it's nice to see a studio evolving and carving out it's own unique style. Like Gainax and Sunrise BONEs has developed it's own visual and musical signature. That said, with a lengthy schedule ahead of them they have been making a few mistakes from time to time. These will most likely be fixed when they move the series to DVD.

*Following questions contain minor spoilers for the first anime*
Why wasn't Wrath on Izumi's training island and where is Sloth?
One of the biggest changes BONEs made was the homunculi. Izumi's human transmutation no longer causes Wrath to be born. Same goes for the Elric's. Sloth is a totally new character, Wrath is King Bradley who, apart from the name change, remains the same and Pride is someone else altogether. Also, for the most part they are far less powerful than in the first anime so Envy fans may get upset.

If you have any other questions about FMA:B in general then feel free to ask here, that's the whole idea of the thread. If you want to know more about specific episodes then ask in the relevant threads for each episode.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 16 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #2

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

Nice work there, Popo. I think you've pretty much covered what people need to know. biggrin.gif That'll be helpful to those who've never read the manga and are confused as to why a 2nd anime is being made. *thumbs up*

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 17 2009, 04:18 AM
Post #3

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Thank you Popo!! Nicely done!! Stickied the thread. biggrin.gif

Here are some of the popular/useful discussion threads we have. (Check this forum for the rest of the discussion threads. ^^)

* Where to watch episodes (compliled info on the first post)
* Transcriptions of official English subs from episodes on Funimation.com.
* HD Screen caps (in downloadable files, for all episodes aired so far)
* Funny Capsummaries. (for all episodes aired so far)

Episode content discussion threads:

* Episode 1: Fulmetal Alchemist English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 14
* Episode 2: The First Day English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 13
* Episode 3: City of Heresy English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 8
* Episode 4: An Alchemist's Anguish English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 8
* Episode 5: Rain of Sorrows English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 6: Road of Hope English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 7: Hidden Truths English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 6
* Episode 8: The Fifth Laboratory English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 6
* Episode 9: Created Feelings English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 7
* Episode 10: Separate Destinations English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 6
* Episode 11: Miracle at Rush Valley English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 12: One is All, All is One English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 13: Beasts of Dublith English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 14: Those Who Lurk Underground English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 15: Envoy from the East English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 6
* Episode 16: Footsteps Of A Comrade-in Arms English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 17: Cold Flame English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 18: On the Palm of an Arrogant Human Being English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 19: Death of the Undying English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 20: Father Standing Before a Grave English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 21: The fools advance forth English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 22: Distant Backs English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 23: Girl on the Battlefield English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 24: Inside the Belly English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 25: Doorway Of Darkness English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 26: Reunion English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 27: Interlude Party English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 28: Father English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 29: Struggle Of The Fool English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 30: The Ishvalan War Of Extermination English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 31: The 520 Cens Promise English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 32: The Fuhrer's Son English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 2
* Episode 33: Northern Wall Of Briggs English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 34: Ice Queen English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 2
* Episode 35: The Shape Of This Country English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 2
* Episode 36: Family Portrait English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 2
* Episode 37: The First Homunculus English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 38: Conflict at Baschool English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 2
* Episode 39: Daydream English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 2
* Episode 40: Dwarf in the Flask English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 2
* Episode 41: Abyss English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 42: Signs of a Counteroffensive English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 43: Bite of the Ant English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 44: Revving At Full Throttle English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 2
* Episode 45: The Promised Day English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 46: Looming Shadows English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 47: Messenger Of Darkness English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 48: The Oath in the Tunnel English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 49: Filial Affection English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 50: Upheaval in Central English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 51: Army of Immortals English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 52: Everyone's Power English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 53: Flames of Revenge English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 54: Beyond the Inferno English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 55: The Adults' Way of Life English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 3
* Episode 56: The Return of the Führer English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 2
* Episode 57: Eternal Rest English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 58: Sacrifices English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 59: Lost Light English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 60: Eye of Heaven, Gateway of Earth English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 61: The One Who Swallowed God English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 4
* Episode 62: A Fierce Counterattack English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 5
* Episode 63: The Other Side of the Gate English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 6
* Episode 64: Journey's End English dubbed episode "talk-back" starts on page 8

* Poll: Should I watch FMA-1 or FMA: Brotherhood first?
* Series 1 vs Series 2
* Series-2 Art Style discussions.
* Series-2 Voice Cast (Japanese) discussions.
* Series-2 Opening Theme discussions (Visual & Sound)
* Series-2 Ending Theme discussions (Visual & Sound)
* Series-2 Soundtrack and OP/ED songs discussions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
samFMA
post Apr 27 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 68,309

Season 2 - Why is season one being repeated? Or is it going to end differently?

I'm just wondering if there has been any news on this?
It's kinda wierd how they are just repeating the series, I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. I mean, will they ever come off at where they ended the movie?

<Merged the thread here. ~ Tombow>

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 27 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

@samFMA - Welcome to the board!! I think...this is just a right kind of question to be posted on stickied FMA anime series-2: Brotherhood general Q & A thread!!
So... I'm moving your post to that thread. biggrin.gif

BTW, you know that FMA anime (first series) had a very very VERY different story line after a while (starting around the second season of FMA anime series 1, and then through the end of the storyline with FMA movie) from FMA manga, right? And, this new series is following the storyline of FMA MANGA, so, in the beginning the story will be similar to the first anime series, but it will soon change.

For better explanation, please check out the FAQ posted by Popogeejo above, and if you got more questions, please post here, and we will try to help. smile.gif

==============================

The following part of is under construction.

* Production Staff for this series: (from FMA-2 official JP site)

Director: Yasuhiro IRIE (入江泰浩)
Series Configuration: Hiroshi OHNOGI (大野木寛)
Character Design: Hiroki KANNO (菅野宏紀)
Art Design: Kazushige KANEHIRA (金平和茂)
Art Director: Goushi SATO (佐藤豪志)
Background: KUSANAGI (草薙) (Note: Not a person but an Art Studio)
Color Layout: Souko NAKAO (中尾総子)
Alchemy circle Design: Shinji ARAMAKI (荒牧伸志)
Music Director: Akira SENJU (千住明)
Sound Director: Masafumi MIMA (三間雅文)
Animation Production: BONES (ボンズ)
Production: Fullmetal Alchemist Production Committee (鋼の錬金術師製作委員会)

----------------------

* OP/ED for the series: (from FMA-2 official JP site)

FMA-2 Opening: 'Again' by YUI
FMA-2 Ending: 'Uso' - by SID

-----------------------

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 23 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

<Moved a post by another poster, resulting in the consecutive posting.>

QUOTE (Akrinis @ May 23 2009, 09:22 PM) *
I've noticed that the new anime is very different to the first anime. I'm not referring to the storyline, because I'm aware that the producers have decided to follow the manga's storyline closely in this series, but it appears to me that the new series is lacking...

What happened to the Animation style and Music of the first series? The new anime's graphics seem very sketchy to me and the slightly monotonal. Being a huge fan of the first anime, I loved the art style and the music blended in nicely together. Did the production team decide to change it's music director and art director? If so, I'm very disappointed

@Akrinis - Welcome to the board. The new series has a new art director, and new music director. In fact, most of individual production staff are different from the first series. So, it's not much of "what happened to the art style of the first series," because there is no continuation of it, period. Well, not completely, but most of characters are based on character design on manag, and I think we should really treat the art design of this series as separate topic from the last series.

Now that that question is taking care of, I'm assuming you'd like to talk about the art style in this series, so I'm transferring your post to art style/animation of the FMA series-2: Brotherhood thread. Please continue this discussion there. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The-Alchemist101
post May 23 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 68,987

okay i finally understand also i thought they were gonna continue FMA where it last ended where *spoiler*Ed dies in the end to revive his brother and Ed is in the real world. but now i know that FMA:Brotherhood will be more like the manga version than the previous Series as it went its own path. happy.gif

--------------------
To gain anything,
something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's
first law of equivalent exchange.
Is it worth the price?

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post May 23 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #8

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

POPO WILL ANSWER MORE THINGS AND EXPAND ON WHAT TOMBOW SAID!

QUOTE (samFMA @ Apr 27 2009, 05:41 PM) *
It's kinda wierd how they are just repeating the series, I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. I mean, will they ever come off at where they ended the movie?

It's only weird until you remember this series is also being made to accommodate new fans who may not have seen the first series. It'd be unfair to expect new comers to to jump into the middle of story. This is also why the pacing is rather hectic. Bones doesn't want to spend to much time in old territory so old fans can get their new content as soon as possible. It's a hard balance to hit.

QUOTE (Akrinis @ May 23 2009, 09:22 PM) *
What happened to the Animation style and Music of the first series?

BONEs has moved on quite a bit since the 1st FMA series was started some 8 years ago. Their colouring style changed heavily with Eureka7 and Soul Eater. Pretty much they've just found a style that suits them and that they're comfortable with. I preferred the old style as well but it's nice to see a studio evolving and carving out it's own unique style. Like Gainax and Sunrise BONEs has developed it's own visual and musical signature.

QUOTE (The-Alchemist101 @ May 24 2009, 03:13 AM) *
okay i finally understand also i thought they were gonna continue FMA where it last ended where *spoiler*Ed dies in the end to revive his brother and Ed is in the real world. but now i know that FMA:Brotherhood will be more like the manga version than the previous Series as it went its own path. happy.gif

If you want a continuation of FMA 1 then watch the movie. Many claim it's the full ending of the first series and wraps everything up.

I may clean these up add these to the OP at some point or I may do nothing and simply hope people read the thread beyond the first post. Who knows?

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
The-Alchemist101
post May 24 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 68,987

@Popogeejo - oh alright Thanks i got it now haha now everythings not that confusing anymore! i cannot intentionally wait for the New series fully comes out smile.gif

--------------------
To gain anything,
something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's
first law of equivalent exchange.
Is it worth the price?

+Quote Post
Can Alchemist
post Jun 11 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 69,448

~ To Watch Or Not To Watch...?! ~

Hi there...I'm a huge Fma fan(actually it was the first "real-serie" I've watched) but I'm not a "Anime type of person", I rather read manga..Do u think that FMA Brotherhood is mandatory to see?

--------------------

Dogs of the military...owners of unique strength...and bone desire
Don't Think...Just fell

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 11 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (Popogeejo @ May 24 2009, 12:28 AM) *
POPO WILL ANSWER MORE THINGS AND EXPAND ON WHAT TOMBOW SAID!

I may clean these up add these to the OP at some point or I may do nothing and simply hope people read the thread beyond the first post. Who knows?

Thank you, Popo!!! biggrin.gif

=============

QUOTE (Can Alchemist @ Jun 12 2009, 12:23 AM) *
Hi there...I'm a huge Fma fan(actually it was the first "real-serie" I've watched) but I'm not a "Anime type of person", I rather read manga..Do u think that FMA Brotherhood is mandatory to see?

@Can Alchemist - Welcome to the board!!

No, of course it's not mandatory to watch FMA Brotherhood anime. biggrin.gif
There are many FMA manga fans who are NOT watching FMA: Brotherhood anime, and that's perfectly fine, in my opinion. I watch it, and I enjoy it, but that's just me. ^^
If you read only FMA manga, then hope to see you in FMA manga forum, and if you happen to watch the first series of FMA anime, then hope to see you in FMA anime (first series) forum, and then our FMA Character discussion forum is including both FMA anime and FMA manga chracters, so we hope to see you there also. And, in any of other forums we have. Xd Just find whatever the form of FMA you like, and enjoy that one, then share that joy with us.biggrin.gif
(At least that's my opinion. XD)

Anyway, in a while I'm going to add this thread to FMA:Brotherhood anime Q&A thread, then maybe others can add their opinion on this there, too. ^^

ETA: June 12, 2009. Merged thread. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Can Alchemist
post Jun 12 2009, 01:13 AM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 69,448

ok thanks

--------------------

Dogs of the military...owners of unique strength...and bone desire
Don't Think...Just fell

+Quote Post
spikeville
post Jun 21 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #13

Citizen

Member No.: 69,606

Have I been out of the loop for so long that i would miss something as important as a new fma series?? ;_; wher can i see this beautiful shiney creation?

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 21 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

@spikeville - Wecome to our board! You can check out Where to watch episodes for available viewing options for your area.

You can also check out FMA:Brotherhood Q & A thread for some useful info. (I'll be moving your post and my reply to that thread sometime later also.)

ETA: June 22 Moved the posts to FMA:Brotherhood Q & A thread, as I think this Q & A posts would fit there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SangsBleus
post Jun 21 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 69,636

~ What Is The Difference Between Fullmetal Alchemist And Brotherhood? ~

I'm really, really confused. I thought they were the same thing until today. Someone explain please?

I understand that Brotherhood supposedly sticks closer to the manga. Would it be better just to read the manga?

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2016 - 06:28 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css