HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 2: The First Day - Content Discussion Thread, Universal conversation regarding the second installment of FMA: B
Rating 5 V
Kyelinn
post Apr 12 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #61

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,611

QUOTE (Radadinator @ Apr 12 2009, 01:11 PM) *
The only thing that's chiefly wrong with the episodes right now is the incredibly fast pacing, and that will probably slow down as the series goes on. Sure, they could've fixed up this episode, but I'm fairly positive that they'll go more in depth with Ed and Al's bond with Trisha, the house burning, etc. once they meet Izumi. This is just an introductory episode to the transmutation, so they probably tried to keep it brief.

Maybe it would have been better if Ed and Al's visit at Pinako's place was used for more Trisha screentime, but overall, the episode really wasn't that bad.

LOL That's pretty much what I was trying to stay. They're just trying to start the anime up so people who are watching for the first time and haven't read the manga, can at least have an understanding of what's going on here. In any case, I'm going to watch it a 2nd time. That transmutation scene was just...wow ;_; and Al, saying he's sorry over and over again and when Mustang grabbed Ed by the shirt. The look in his eyes...

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sal_san
post Apr 12 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #62

Citizen

Member No.: 62,930

QUOTE (fma_milan_freak @ Apr 12 2009, 12:05 PM) *
I guess this bashin is not hurtin anyone here goral . So you better stop . . Cause i think that all you are tryin to do is get some attention . . I might be wrong here , but it surely looks like it . . I've seen people tryin to compromise with you and stuff , but all you do is bash , bash and bash . . . If you hate the new anime . . Why do you even watch it . . Ha ha . . Seriously with this kind of attitude , you'll make more enemies than friends anywhere you go . .

Now, now. Let her have her own opinion... and she wouldn't have a reason to hate it without watching it, right? ^.^

--------------------

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post Apr 12 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #63

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

I have mixed feelings about this episode. On the one hand, the transmutation scene was done really well. Someone before me had said that it was scarier than in season 1, and I agree. Then there's also the wonderful animation and Ed who is much cuter than in season 1 (I think), and general manga-moments, like younger!Riza meeting Winry. On the other, this felt a lot like "tell, not show." I don't even mean the first narrator talking about equivalent exchange - because it works there, but a sudden cut to a conversation between Roy and Hughes in the midst of Ed angst? That threw me. And the lines they exchanged were so incredibly contrived, too - while I understand the necessity for characters to occasionally exchange words that are aimed at educating the audience, this was just way too transparent.

Hughes: Roy, so why did you invite those kids to be alchemists? They'll see bad things, you know.
Roy: Yeah. Bad things. Oh well. *walks away*
Hughes: ... O-kay then. Don't bother explaining. I'll just wave to you in a friendly fashion anyway.

Things like that annoyed me =) At the same time, like I said, there were a lot of good points, too, so I'm generally optimistic about what is to come. And I believe it's waaay too early to judge this new season. They've got a huge challenge before them - going through the same storyline as the first season until a certain point and making it appealing both to the new and to the returning audience, so I'm going to cut them slack just for this, anyway.

PS I confess I don't remember the early manga storyline in detail, but - was Tucker an anime-only character? Huh. Maybe he just wasn't important in the manga...

+Quote Post
Mistress of Mise...
post Apr 12 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #64

Citizen

Member No.: 34,631

...mmmph. I'd have to agree with most of the critics here. The pacing and transitions were just...way too fast and choppy. I know that they want to get the "necessities" out of the way as soon as possible, but I think this episode is too important to skip over like that.

I really loved the transmutation scene though. Just the right amount of creepiness and emotion.

That cityscape shot of Lior at the end looked amazing; at least this series has beautiful art. ^o^ I still have a fairly positive outlook on this series...I really don't want to have to lower my expectations, so I'm hoping it'll get better as it goes on.

--------------------

If everything appears to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

+Quote Post
Alzea
post Apr 12 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #65

Alchemists

Member No.: 54,118

QUOTE (WinterChanterelle @ Apr 12 2009, 08:15 PM) *
PS I confess I don't remember the early manga storyline in detail, but - was Tucker an anime-only character? Huh. Maybe he just wasn't important in the manga...

Tucker was in the manga and will be in the anime (as we saw scenes from this in trailers) but he isn't very important character here.

As to the second episode, again, it shoul be like this:
Summary of the episode: The Truth guy pwns you all! xD
Why? Because the event in the gate was the best in this episode and the Truth guy was made of awesomeness.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post Apr 12 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #66

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

Hey don't worry mistress . . . This is gonna get much better. . . I seriously think that they'll cover everything later using flashbacks . . As someone said earlier , these are just introductory episodes . . So please don't start degrading this new anime , i loved the new episode . . And i'd like to keep my comparison cards close to my chest right now , okay , i think we can do some more comparison in the next episode . . . Lior . . Lets wait for that . . And speakin about which , who thinks rose looks better in the new anime than in the previous one . . . Ha ha

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 12 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #67

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Thank god for my friend with better computer... I just saw the episode (raw) again, this time without intermittent delays, and with clearer sounds that enabled me to hear the actual dialogue.

And, I enjoyed it. I see that they might have omitted some scenes from manga storyline (we still don't know that for sure, because we had seen only two episodes and they may still have some flash backs in the future episodes,) but IMO as a whole so far the storyline flows ok, and I think the flow of things within this episode worked ok as an episode. IMO, some part of dialogue and editing maybe leaning toward "cheesy" side, but overall I still enjoyed watching this episode very much. More detailed opinions after I watch it a few more times. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (WinterChanterelle @ Apr 12 2009, 02:15 PM) *
Hughes: Roy, so why did you invite those kids to be alchemists? They'll see bad things, you know.
Roy: Yeah. Bad things. Oh well. *walks away*
Hughes: ... O-kay then. Don't bother explaining. I'll just wave to you in a friendly fashion anyway.

@WinterChanterelle - I think you skipped the part that right after that Mustang mutters to himself: "Hellish things? Yes, they had already seen it." (Or something like that. ^^) I think that was sort of the "punch line" for that whole dialogue exchange. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post Apr 12 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #68

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 12 2009, 06:29 PM) *
Tucker was in the manga and will be in the anime (as we saw scenes from this in trailers) but he isn't very important character here.

Aha! Thank you. There goes my hope that we wouldn't see him again... but at least he won't be underfoot so much of the time.

@Tombow mea culpa =) However, this punch line did not punch me at all - and what's worse, Roy said it after the conversation with Hughes, which completely cemented the image that they were talking for the benefit of the audience. Which they were, of course, but it didn't have to be so blatant =)

+Quote Post
black~hayate
post Apr 12 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #69

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,859

QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 12 2009, 12:29 PM) *
QUOTE (WinterChanterelle @ Apr 12 2009, 08:15 PM) *

As to the second episode, again, it shoul be like this:
Summary of the episode: The Truth guy pwns you all! xD
Why? Because the event in the gate was the best in this episode and the Truth guy was made of awesomeness.

yaaay Alzea is back xD
I loved Truth, too. I missed it/him/her/whatever it is in the first anime.

--------------------
You have to leave me alot of cute messages! I love messages =3

Bark! Bark bark bark!

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post Apr 12 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #70

Apprentice

Member No.: 40,795

I'm not really buying the whole "it's rushed because it's already been done before" argument. The fact that some of this material has been treated before is not an excuse for lazy storytelling, a problem from which this episode suffers greatly, nor does it necessitate the amount of self-reference that the first two episodes have displayed.

What I mean is, if one has already seen the first anime and/or read the manga, one could project those emotions onto this new series, and because of that find a great deal of meaning in the images being shown - they are, after all, vivid and well drawn. However, viewing FMA2 from the perspective of a complete newcomer, the show is rushed, underdeveloped and honestly not all that interesting at this point. If something is going to be done, it should be done right, and that means taking time to tell the story properly, regardless of ratings.

To put it another way, would you rather be mildly entertained and smile with nostalgia at an episode's premier, or still be finding new meaning to the images and direction years later (as is the case with season one)? Sure, I get a kick out of seeing things in a new light, but the amount to which this new animation is relying on the first series is not acceptable. It's being made for ratings, not artistic merit - that much is clear. As different as the first anime is from the original story, it had a specific agenda and very defined themes which it hammered home repeatedly to tell a great story and make a lasting impact on the world of anime. So far, FMA2 is all image and no substance. That is the one thing I will not be able to forgive should it continue much longer as FMA is about the most substantial anime story I know, and to see it reduced to 'just another show' is heartbreaking.

I enjoyed the new episode, but as a novelty rather than as a work of art or literature; and that, my friends, is deeply unfortunate.

P.S.

Don't hate on Goral; he's got some valid points and I completely understand where he's coming from. In honor of the new series' debut, I started rewatching FMA1 from the beginning, and thus far, there isn't even a comparison between the two. FMA1 destroys FMA2 as an adaption at this point.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 12 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #71

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (WinterChanterelle @ Apr 12 2009, 02:40 PM) *
@Tombow mea culpa =) However, this punch line did not punch me at all - and what's worse, Roy said it after the conversation with Hughes, which completely cemented the image that they were talking for the benefit of the audience. Which they were, of course, but it didn't have to be so blatant =)

@WinterChanterelle - Gahaha, I see what you mean. biggrin.gif

-------

BTW, speaking of cheesy... this was the first time I could hear the sound in better quality audio computer, and the narration at the beginning of the episode sounds so old fashioned, like watching some Japanese WWI war news film. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post Apr 12 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #72

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

I'll still say that i'm not going to compare anythin to the previous anime . . . Until i watch the next episode , because there we'll know which anime is adapted better . . . Because the next episode features the same thing which had featured in the previous anime . . So lets compare after watchin the next episode . . And i still hold on to my point that the reason why this is rushed is because its been shown already . . . And to be honest , this is what i expected and this is what i got . . I know that they'll stop the rush once we come closer to hughes's death . . . And i know everyone does agree with me on that . .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cece
post Apr 12 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #73

Apprentice

Member No.: 48,077

QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Apr 12 2009, 10:41 AM) *
Don't hate on Goral; he's got some valid points and I completely understand where he's coming from. In honor of the new series' debut, I started rewatching FMA1 from the beginning, and thus far, there isn't even a comparison between the two. FMA1 destroys FMA2 as an adaption at this point.

I don't think it's fair to compare an entire series to two episodes. FMA1 has 51 episodes and is angst ridden. Not that FMA2 doesn't have angst I just prefer lighter stories. Episode 2 was a bit rushed but I wouldn't say FMA1 stomps FMA2 at this point.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Automne
post Apr 12 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #74

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 13,171

But it's normal to compare the first two episodes of this series, to those of the first one though...No? 'scuse me but I don't see the problem in it, if you express your opinion correctly without going all butt-hurt over those who may have liked it, while you didn't (or vice versa). Otherwise, shut it. Now that will be entirely retarded if people still continue to compare them after Hughes' death, since these two then take a completely different path plot-wise.

'Kay. This episode: Didn't like it, at all. The music was average at best, the 'emotional' moments were wasted because of god-knows-what, whether it be an inapropriate 'humourous' trick or, something was just plain missing to make it believable. There was also this very rushed feeling. Two much stuff in 25 minutes. How is a newcomer supposed to absorb that much information and get drawn in even more in this anime?

Also, glad to see Ed is just as annoying, if not even more so, than he is in the manga; that, they didn't screw up. His supposed 'cool' stance made me want him to get a good spank. And wtf, he doesn't know who is Bradley...?

Al? Just plain 'I-didn't-care-about-him-one-second' reaction from me.

Don't get me wrong, this episode didn't annoy me that much. Nope. It was just simply boring.

Good point? The animation, which is even better than in the first episode.

Just my two cents. Overall, quite a disappointment since I liked it so much so far, but there's nothing showing the other episodes will be that way. The next one might just be stellar, for all we know.

--------------------

mspaint_lolz on livejournal

'Buffy and Angel had gone out before and Buffy wasn't really comfortable talking to Spike and Angel at the same time, because now Spike and Buffy had been going out for 6 months and Buffy was afraid that Angel might tell Spike that him and Buffy went out, but it turns out that Angel had told Spike that they went out, Spike was heartbroken that Buffy never told him that they went out, so Spike broke up with Buffy to get back at her for not telling him that Angel and Buffy went out.'

-NOT MINE

TEH BESTEST (AND MOST FRENCH) ROMANCE EVAR

+Quote Post
Goral
post Apr 12 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #75

Citizen

Member No.: 59,458

lol @fma_milan_freak
You've just written HUGE spoiler for anyone that haven't seen first anime or haven't read the manga (*cough* Hughes' death *cough*).

--------------------
9 out of 10 connoisseurs recommend watching Kemono no Souja Erin.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2016 - 06:38 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css