HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 2: The First Day - Content Discussion Thread, Universal conversation regarding the second installment of FMA: B
Rating 5 V
Edward Cardinal ...
post Apr 19 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #181

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 59,819

QUOTE (Haineko @ Apr 16 2009, 03:05 PM) *
I just registered to say that the way Funi translated "rentanjutsu" was pure win. I don't think any of the other subs I watched came even close. "Pharmacy?" "Chinese alchemy?" XD Even Viz translated it in the manga as "rendanshu," which I think is a lame and kinda weird copout-- it's like they were going for the Chinese transliteration, but then kinda stopped halfway.

So at first when I read "alkahestry," I wondered if it was just something the translator made up. But then I looked it up on wiki, and lo and behold--

Alkahest (or alcahest) is a hypothetical universal solvent, having the power to dissolve every other substance, including gold. It was much sought after by alchemists for what they thought would be its invaluable medicinal qualities. The name is believed to have been invented by Paracelsus (1493–1541) from Switzerland, who modelled it on similar words taken from Arabic, such as 'alkali'. Paracelsus' own recipe was based on caustic lime, alcohol, and carbonate of potash. He believed that this element alkahest was, in fact, the philosopher's stone. A potential problem involving alkahest is that, if it dissolves everything, then it cannot be placed into a container, because it would dissolve the container. However, philosopher Philalethe specifies that Alkahest (that he also calls "double mercury" sometime) dissolves only composed material.

The stuff I bolded makes perfect sense if you've read the manga. So yeah, I completely approve of the translation work for the official subs. They even got "Xerxes" right!

Exacting attention to contextual details and linguistic subtleties is key to proper translation that effectively communicates the intended meaning. Now if we can just get ICEL to implement "consubstantial"… happy.gif

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thedespised2166
post Feb 20 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #182

Citizen

Member No.: 71,836

~ Ep.2! Tonight!, On 'Adult Swim'. In English. ~

For those of you who like FMA(all of it...entirely),heh, what am I talking about. This site IS for FMA fans anyways. tongue.gif

If you've seen FMA:BH Ep. 1 in english on Adult Swim, then get ready to see Ep.2. Heck you've already seen it in Japanese. biggrin.gif
This is really just a comeback from being gone for... I dunno, two months? dry.gif
Eh, it still feels god to revisit a site once again.

I'm glad to be back! cool.gif

--------------------
The brothers of despisition shall not seace to exist.
Our power shall consume your soul.
Evil shall rule once again.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Feb 20 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #183

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

So who is a lucky East-coaster and got to see it?
I was checking out what people were saying on twitter, and it looks like alot of people were loving it smile.gif

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Feb 20 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #184

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

Just realized that CNHD shows Brotherhood at both 9PM and 1AM on u-verse here in California.

Already...Winry's little girl voice is annoying me as it sounded too deep, which is odd to hear on a little girl, but it got better when she was 11-12.

Al's voice was extremely inconsistent (either sounds to girly - it was the screams during the transmutation scene or just right, when he was 10-11).

Ed's voice is pretty good - though when Vic screams it sounds really off. Vic's voice settled considerably during 11-12 year old and present day Ed.

The Truth...so disappointed that they went with the VA who voiced Wrath in the first series. It didn't quite sound either ambivalent enough or menacing enough.

Travis' Roy has definitely gotten better - definitely shown during his speech to Pinako. Colleen's Riza...still too deep for my taste, but she's doing a better job than the first series.

Another plus, they've corrected the inconsistencies that were present during the first airing. So I'm guessing that they're using the corrected versions that were on the Japanese DVD/BD release.

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Feb 20 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #185

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,581

Truth's voice sounded meh

Young Winry sounded much better than the first anime

Young Ed, home run, right out of the ballpark

Young Al, meh, Maxey's voice is starting to grow on me. Sounded less awkward.

Roy was the same, and Riza seems to have improved.

Overall I thought the episode was okay..maybe because the transmutation sequence was not as dramatic as the first anime (man I miss that Russian orchestra)

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

[credit goes to Aquarina :D]

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Feb 20 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #186

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

Watching this for the first time since last June or so, I was a little surprised by this episode. The first half, with the attempted transmutation and Ed at the gate, wasn't as intense as I remembered- that may be partly because while I think Vic does a fantastic "present day" ed, I don't think he really fits for "younger" ed.

But the second half was - damn. I totally forgot about that look of utter despair in Ed's eyes in his first meeting with Mustang, or the really sweet conversation between Winry and Hawkeye- and I love how they intercut between Winry/Hawkeye and Mustang's speech. Don't remember if it was like that in the manga...

Regarding the voices- I like Maxey as Al better this time around- maybe it was because she was mostly voicing younger Al that a younger sounding voice would be better.

I dunno about Truth- I'll have to listen to that again.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 20 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #187

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

I'm glad they did not mess up Winry meets Riza scene. I think it came out all right on dubb. ^^
And, we got OP/ED. Although they still don't have the preview.
Good VAing of Ed in this episode, IMO. Going to watch the repeat later again and try to catch more details. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thedespised2166
post Feb 20 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #188

Citizen

Member No.: 71,836

QUOTE (Kale Mustang @ Feb 20 2010, 10:28 PM) *
The Truth...so disappointed that they went with the VA who voiced Wrath in the first series.

Other than... really? Wow, I didn't notice.
Anyways, other than that, they cut out most of the intro and the ending, they screwed up the test that Ed passes. He walks into a dark room with a one-legged chair, with Bradley and others watching (FMA1). Not in a lightned room. Plus, I think Bradley introduces himself (FMA1).
And Al had light-brown hair. Not blonde, like Ed. The flaws were easy to find.

--------------------
The brothers of despisition shall not seace to exist.
Our power shall consume your soul.
Evil shall rule once again.

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Feb 20 2010, 10:49 PM
Post #189

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

QUOTE (thedespised2166 @ Feb 20 2010, 09:38 PM) *
The Truth...so disappointed that they went with the VA who voiced Wrath in the first series.

Anyways, other than that, they cut out most of the intro and the ending, they screwed up the test that Ed passes. He walks into a dark room with a three legged chair, with Bradley and others watching (FMA1). Not in a lightned room. Plus, I think Bradley introduces himself (FMA1).

The thing I liked about how The Truth sounds in Japanese is that the VA sounded more ambivalent and menacing - whereas in English, the VA just seemed to sound more grating but there was enough smugness that made it okay.

I thought the alchemy exam was the same as the manga, so again, dunno why you thought it was different. And for Bradley's introduction, didn't bother me. As far as Al's hair goes, it was always blonde - at least that's what it was depicted as in the artbooks - so I thought it was fine as well.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Feb 20 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #190

Alchemists

I have about 50 minutes.
I'm just concerned about Truth's VA. That is my big worry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Feb 20 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #191

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Vic's performance is still godawful, but at least it hasnt gotten any worse. Maxey Whitehead is a decent Al when not in armor form.

I forgot how crammed full of stuff this episode was. And poor Trisha only gets a single scene.

I don't know where you're getting that Al had brown hair in the first series. It was was still a golden shade, but a slightly different one than Ed's. Get your eyes checked.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Vlyse
post Feb 21 2010, 01:00 AM
Post #192

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,791

I kinda found it hard to take the human transmutation scene seriously after having watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4at4pD30FMY...feature=channel about a million times right before.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Feb 21 2010, 07:08 AM
Post #193

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

QUOTE (thedespised2166 @ Feb 21 2010, 01:38 AM) *

Anyways, other than that, they cut out most of the intro and the ending, they screwed up the test that Ed passes. He walks into a dark room with a one-legged chair, with Bradley and others watching (FMA1). Not in a lightned room. Plus, I think Bradley introduces himself (FMA1).

ummm...why are you comparing this anime to the first one. they are different. this one follows the manga more closely. so the exam was exactly like it was in the manga.

on another note, this episode was done really well! Maxey sounded off at first, but she got better later. hoping she gets the hang of it. I thought the voice of the Truth was good! I was too into the show to really notice though. Al's "We're sorry" to Roy still got me teared up.

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
edxwinryfan
post Feb 21 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #194

Apprentice

Member No.: 59,190

Well Maxey's Al is better without armor, but it is still a bit girly. She needs advice from Aaron or something tongue.gif Vic's younger Ed was pretty good and Caitlin's younger Winry sounds good to me. Truth's voice isn't so great. Travis sounded great and Sonny as Hughes was good smile.gif The "'We're sorry" part was Maxey's best acting. Riza sounds deeper than I remember her. Overall the episode was pretty good biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Feb 21 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #195

Alchemists

I'm just so used to the Japanese VA so the first half for me was awkward. Not to mention my TV was having issues, so i'll have to watch it on the internet and get a second opinion.
Second half with Al's "we're sorry we're sorry" always gets me teary.
And did anyone else notice they continue to cut out the japanese writing but not add in english?
I'm talking about the Fuhrer's "ha ha ha ha" when he is walking off after slicing Ed's spear.
Good episode was good smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 07:08 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css