HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 2: The First Day - Content Discussion Thread, Universal conversation regarding the second installment of FMA: B
Rating 5 V
Kale Mustang
post Apr 16 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #166

Major General

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,527

QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Apr 16 2009, 11:54 AM) *
Thanks for the heads-up. Just checked out the site and the streaming is indeed much better than last week. The 15 minute mark you noted was about right. For some reason, I enjoyed the chapter more with the official subs; I guess there was just a more coherent stream of equivalent exchange and human transmutation which made the episode feel more 'solid' as a stand-alone piece of the story.

No problem and yeah, I'm really liking Funi's sub more over the fansubs as they made all the alchemy parts much easier to follow because it's more coherent. Now they just need to ease up on the formality a bit...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post Apr 16 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #167

Apprentice

Member No.: 40,795

QUOTE (Haineko @ Apr 16 2009, 03:05 PM) *
I just registered to say that the way Funi translated "rentanjutsu" was pure win. I don't think any of the other subs I watched came even close. "Pharmacy?" "Chinese alchemy?" XD Even Viz translated it in the manga as "rendanshu," which I think is a lame and kinda weird copout-- it's like they were going for the Chinese transliteration, but then kinda stopped halfway.

So at first when I read "alkahestry," I wondered if it was just something the translator made up. But then I looked it up on wiki, and lo and behold--

Alkahest (or alcahest) is a hypothetical universal solvent, having the power to dissolve every other substance, including gold. It was much sought after by alchemists for what they thought would be its invaluable medicinal qualities. The name is believed to have been invented by Paracelsus (1493–1541) from Switzerland, who modelled it on similar words taken from Arabic, such as ‘alkali’. Paracelsus' own recipe was based on caustic lime, alcohol, and carbonate of potash. He believed that this element alkahest was, in fact, the philosopher's stone. A potential problem involving alkahest is that, if it dissolves everything, then it cannot be placed into a container, because it would dissolve the container. However, philosopher Philalethe specifies that Alkahest (that he also calls "double mercury" sometime) dissolves only composed material.

The stuff I bolded makes perfect sense if you've read the manga. So yeah, I completely approve of the translation work for the official subs. They even got "Xerxes" right!

That is pretty awesome. Thanks for the info - I would never have guessed. As you said, that translation fits perfectly with the medicinal origins of the Xingese alchemy from the manga. See, this is part of the reason I love Fullmetal Alchemist - you end up learning all these crazy facts from the references Arakawa makes in her story.

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Apr 16 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #168

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 67,594

That's good to know smile.gif
However it makes me feel sad, living in a country where such subs are not available of course *sighs*

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Apr 16 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #169

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

QUOTE (amestris_star @ Apr 16 2009, 12:26 PM) *
That's good to know smile.gif
However it makes me feel sad, living in a country where such subs are not available of course *sighs*

That's too bad... sad.gif

But yeah, I really like the Funimation subs for the little details like that, as they were missing from the fansubs.

+Quote Post
Forgiven
post Apr 17 2009, 06:25 PM
Post #170

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,878

Does anybody know where I can watch episode three? I herd it came out tonight instead of Sunday, and I can't find it anywhere. o_0.....

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 17 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #171

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

Where did you hear that? Are you sure it wasn't just a rumor?

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
fullmoon
post Apr 17 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #172

Apprentice

Member No.: 65,068

QUOTE (Forgiven @ Apr 18 2009, 11:25 AM) *
Does anybody know where I can watch episode three? I herd it came out tonight instead of Sunday, and I can't find it anywhere. o_0.....

EHHH!!! Really? >_<.

Edit: I checked the TBS program guide and it's still in the same timeslot....XD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Apr 17 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #173

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

It's airing normal time. Even then it'll be raw so you still have to wait a few hours for the EVIL ILLEGAL SUBS OF DEATH or a few days for super warm fuzzy nice Funi subs of happy love <3

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 17 2009, 07:04 PM
Post #174

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

I take it Popo doesn't like fansubs? xD

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 18 2009, 02:49 AM
Post #175

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Welcome to the board, Haineko, and thank you so much for pointing out about the Funimation's translation of "rentanjitsu" as "alkahestry"!! Wow. ^^

It also prompted me to watch the whole official sub episode on Funimation.com, although I had been shying away from it after the taxing experience of watching the first episode on that site. XD And, after watching the whole episode, I'm very pleased with their translation of episode 2. And also, as posted by Kale, the lag time while viewing it on Funimation site has been substantially improved!!

If anyone is in North America and can access to Funimation.com's official sub, I definitely recommend to watch official sub on Funimation.com. smile.gif
(currently both episode 1 and episode 2 are available for viewing)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Piou-Piou
post Apr 18 2009, 05:46 AM
Post #176

Citizen

Member No.: 67,903

patience guys, we, here in Greece have an even worse subs quality than yours out there tongue.gif

Anyway, i really liked those two episodes, they are serious about making it manga based, and the music covers are also awesome. They make the atmosphere even darker and thats good =)

--------------------
http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/3/4/19...osm_ce02bcf.gif

<Hello Piou-Piou... The Max width for the sig pics on our board is 500 pix wide.
Your current sig pic is 600 pix wide, and a little too wide. You can shrink it to
500 pix wide, right? ^^ Thank you!! :) ~ Board Staff>

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Apr 18 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #177

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

Yes, episode 2 was lovely, I could definitely see it already relating to manga in some scenes.

..What did bother me though, was that there wasn't too much screentime for Trisha. She just.. appeared there for a brief moment, and the next thing was a line saying something like "she died" and bam. Story goes on.

..Well, they did use a whole episode for that in the first season, I guess it's just logical that they decided to move on forward fast, instead of repeating the same scenes all over in both animes. smile.gif Not a problem for me, but might be a problem for new fans who haven't seen the first season.

..or then there might be more flashbacks in the future episodes, you never know. biggrin.gif Still, lovely episode!

+Quote Post
Forgiven
post Apr 18 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #178

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,878

QUOTE (fullmoon @ Apr 17 2009, 09:51 PM) *

EHHH!!! Really? >_<.

Edit: I checked the TBS program guide and it's still in the same timeslot....XD

Okay. I was just wondering. ^^ Stupid friend of a friend. Doesn't know how to do anything right! I think I need a day off. >_>

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 18 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #179

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (Forgiven @ Apr 18 2009, 03:18 PM) *
QUOTE (fullmoon @ Apr 17 2009, 09:51 PM) *
........... I herd it came out tonight instead of Sunday, and I can't find it anywhere. o_0.....
.... I checked the TBS program guide and it's still in the same timeslot....XD
......Stupid friend of a friend. Doesn't know how to do anything right! I think I need a day off. >_>

My suggestion for dealing with FMA rumors from your friends: Ask for the source. And if he/she can't produce the source, discard it. tongue.gif (Because, if it's true you will bound to see the news soon enough on here or any one of FMA fan sites, IMO. XD)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Apr 18 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #180

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

Heheh, here it's almost midnight, so I'm happily waiting for Sunday to come. tongue.gif Sundayyy... ~

Nah, friends are cheaters. For the most part. >_> Never trust their rumours. never. They just love to see you suffer when they know you wait something eagerly enough. XD

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2016 - 02:33 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css