HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 2: The First Day - Content Discussion Thread, Universal conversation regarding the second installment of FMA: B
Rating 5 V
Elphaba
post Apr 14 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #136

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,342

I'm a mixed bag. Firstly, I missed Trisha. A lot. If you think about it, her death is the catalyst for the series (ok, that's a stretch) and I really didn't feel her presence enough. I'm holding out for more flashbacks of happier times, and maybe a flashback death scene? Will be out of place I'm sure, but would still be nice.

Like most of us, I'm also having pacing issues too, but I don't feel like I can properly judge the pacing until the DVDs come out in the States, which we can expect from FUNi eventually. I know that sounds odd, but I feel like I won't mind the pace as much when I rewatch these first two episodes having seen more of the series all ready

I still feel like the series hasn't quite started yet, because they haven't made it to Lior yet. I really liked how in the manga (and 1st anime? Don't remember, wish I had time to rewatch....) they went full circle through the alchemist certification and various introductory adventures before we realized we were at the point in the story where they were off to Lior, where it all began (for us). In a way, seeing as how we'll be getting Lior in the next episode, I've kind of started to think of these first two episodes as a prologue of sorts, and that makes it easier to deal with. You know, 'this is who Ed is, this is who Al is, this is what happened and how and why, ok NOW we can get started'.

Now, loves. LOVED the short people banter during suppertime. The first truly in-character humor I've felt.....a lot of the stuff before seemed a bit out of place. Truth FTW. Totally amazing, so glad we have that now.......and excellent human transmutation scene.....though for some reason I kept getting scared that they were going to imply Ed's right arm was part of the price for their transmutation and not for Al's soul.

Is it just me or did Roy look a little more Asian than usual?

Riza and Winry was cute, but felt out of place.

Music = win

Bring on episode 3! I'm very much liking the changes to Rose, although it probably helps knowing that she's not going to end up as a mute religious figure with a baby and crush on Edo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anakishi
post Apr 14 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #137

Citizen

Member No.: 67,896

And the scene with Roy and Hughes.. what was that all about? And at what time?! I mean here we have Hughes: ˝Yo Roy my man *casually smilling* hey look at the sky, it so pretty today isn't it.. oh wait why again did you make Ed and state alchemist.. they're gonna see hell in tha army x3?˝ ˝Huh, I don't care.. They've already seen it.. 'Kay bye.˝

lol, that was priceless! biggrin.gif But, on a side note, I feel most people are forgetting to link the 2nd episode and the 1st: Hughes met the brothers a little time ago, and we see him at his house, telling Gracia he doesn't understand how someone that young would work for the army. Then, a few days later, he decides to ask Roy, nothing strange about that. But I do agree that scene was a little curious there, in middle of flashbacks.

In a way, seeing as how we'll be getting Lior in the next episode, I've kind of started to think of these first two episodes as a prologue of sorts, and that makes it easier to deal with. You know, 'this is who Ed is, this is who Al is, this is what happened and how and why, ok NOW we can get started'.

you know, that is mainly what I dislike about this episode: they don't think us viewers are smart enough to find our own answers, they want to give the information directly, and that takes all the magic away.

--------------------
- Goodbye, FMA, please help me find the strength to move on and get stronger, too!! ^^
- If I don't answer your reply, it could be because:
1) I'm too busy to turn on my computer.
2) I got shy, and didn't come back to the discussion.
3) I hate you, and I'd rather ignore you.
4) Your point got me speechless, congratz!

+Quote Post
Makika
post Apr 14 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #138

Apprentice

Member No.: 65,737

Ah.. I really don't like the Lior part... I don't know why but I dislike Rose and all that history...

I WANT THE MILITARY DOGS! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Apr 14 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #139

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

Um.... maybe I'm asking an obvious question, but I watched the episode on Youtube, and it wasn't loading right and the end part got cut off and.... anyway. Can anyone tell me just what's going on in the next episode?

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 14 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #140

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Apr 14 2009, 10:33 PM) *
Can anyone tell me just what's going on in the next episode?
@Hagaren_4ever - Preview from the official FMA series-2 JP site:

Episode 3: "Town with a Heretical Religion"
(temporary episode title till the airing of official English sub.)

Ed and Al heard the rumor about the town with a heretical religion with the founder who is said to perform "miracle," and travel to the town of Reole to investigate. They learn that Cornello, founder of the heretical religion Leto, peforms alchemy that does not follow "Equivalent Exchange." In the town, they meet a girl, Rose, and she takes them to meet Cornello at his temple.... (translation by me ^^)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post Apr 14 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #141

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

So I watched the episode for the second time and have to agree on the points that it rushed over Trisha way to fast. It gave me no time to grieve for her loss with Ed and Al.

I also missed the Roy and Ed conversation after the alchemy test. However, I feel that they might use these back stories throughout the series so it could show-up later (all of this didn't show-up until Vol. 6 and we were fine until then).

I found I loved the entire transmutation scene even more and Mustang's visit to Resembool. I can't wait for the next episode!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 14 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #142

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

Did anybody every consider that they might have rushed it for a reason? =/ I mean we have yet to see the Izumi arc. For all we know they could really expand and elaborate more during that entire flasback scene in those chapters...I do have a feeling Trisha is going to get plenty more screentime.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
Goral
post Apr 15 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #143

Citizen

Member No.: 59,458

QUOTE (Kyelinn @ Apr 15 2009, 08:23 AM) *
Did anybody every consider that they might have rushed it for a reason? (...) For all we know they could really expand and elaborate more during that entire flasback scene in those chapters...I do have a feeling Trisha is going to get plenty more screentime. (...)

But it doesn't matter that they might explain all this later on. This is "Episode 2 General Discussion" thread not Future Episodes Discussion Thread. You're being silly.

QUOTE (Hagane no Baka @ Apr 14 2009, 04:31 PM) *
The scene with Riza and Winry was totally anti-climatic. It was like: ˝Hello cute little girl. My name is Riza and I shoot people coz I want to protect my man.˝ ˝Aha my name is Winry. 'Kay, bye.˝

And the scene with Roy and Hughes.. what was that all about? And at what time?! I mean here we have Hughes: ˝Yo Roy my man *casually smilling* hey look at the sky, it so pretty today isn't it.. oh wait why again did you make Ed and state alchemist.. they're gonna see hell in tha army x3?˝ ˝Huh, I don't care.. They've already seen it.. 'Kay bye.˝

My favourite part of the episode xDDDD was when Bradley was walking down the corridor xDDDD It was the second time Bradley mentioned his family (the first one was in ep 1). I mean there's no way Bradley is a bad guy, oh no, he's such a family guy. Now don't get me wrong here. Of course he has to put up a facade of a normal, devoted husband and father but to me this whole thing smells like bad covering for the whole 'oops we revealed Bradley is a bad guy in ep 1 so that the newcomers can act surprised later on'. Tell me about lame foreshadowing (yes I'm still clinging to that). In the end of the exam Bradley made me think of this line: ˝Hey shrimp, I'm in Central, ruling ur country.˝

In the end we see the beautiful image of Lior, which further (imo) proves the theory that this anime is just moving pictures glued together with some music and put on screen.

And last but not least (I know it was somehow paraphrased in the quotes I posted but I want to make a decent conclusion). I think that even if the episode was a bit slower, people who've already seen the first series would still have been able to enjoy. I mean I'm sure many of those people already decided they're not going to rewatch the show after they've seen the teasers and realised, it's starting from the beginning all over again. So why fast forward those 'already seen' scenes to try to engage somebody who already dropped this project into watching it? :/ It seems to me this series is much too much oriented on those people who've already seen the 1st series – and frankly even for us it does a lousy job (at least for me it does).

P.S.

1.)I'm totally for comparing the 1st two episodes of the 1st series and FMA Brotherhood.
2.)I've decided that if the show doesn't improve till episode 5, I'll drop it. So that nobody will say why am I watching the series, if I don't like it.

Amen.

--------------------
9 out of 10 connoisseurs recommend watching Kemono no Souja Erin.

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Apr 15 2009, 05:02 AM
Post #144

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

Did anybody every consider that they might have rushed it for a reason? I mean we have yet to see the Izumi arc. For all we know they could really expand and elaborate more during that entire flasback scene in those chapters...I do have a feeling Trisha is going to get plenty more screentime.

I have to say that I truly could not agree more Kyelin. I viewed both of these past two episodes as a prologue to the series. As you have mentioned, we are no where near the infamous "Izumi" arc, where the brothers tell their entire tale to their master. I believe that we are going to see a great deal more of the transmutation, the events surrounding Trisha´s death, and Hohenheim leaving his family latter in the anime. Seriously though, I am not going to be one of those people who says that the new series automatically sucks, and thus stop watching. I actually started out not liking the first series, but I gave it a chance and grew to love it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I am going to give this series a fair chance. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edo little kid
post Apr 15 2009, 05:16 AM
Post #145

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 49,158

QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 15 2009, 05:02 AM) *
Did anybody every consider that they might have rushed it for a reason? I mean we have yet to see the Izumi arc. For all we know they could really expand and elaborate more during that entire flasback scene in those chapters...I do have a feeling Trisha is going to get plenty more screentime.

I have to say that I truly could not agree more Kyelin. I viewed both of these past two episodes as a prologue to the series. As you have mentioned, we are no where near the infamous "Izumi" arc, where the brothers tell their entire tale to their master. I believe that we are going to see a great deal more of the transmutation, the events surrounding Trisha´s death, and Hohenheim leaving his family latter in the anime. Seriously though, I am not going to be one of those people who says that the new series automatically sucks, and thus stop watching. I actually started out not liking the first series, but I gave it a chance and grew to love it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I am going to give this series a fair chance. tongue.gif

I agree with you ^^

+Quote Post
fullmoon
post Apr 15 2009, 05:24 AM
Post #146

Apprentice

Member No.: 65,068

QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 15 2009, 10:02 PM) *

I have to say that I truly could not agree more Kyelin. I viewed both of these past two episodes as a prologue to the series. As you have mentioned, we are no where near the infamous "Izumi" arc, where the brothers tell their entire tale to their master. I believe that we are going to see a great deal more of the transmutation, the events surrounding Trisha´s death, and Hohenheim leaving his family latter in the anime. Seriously though, I am not going to be one of those people who says that the new series automatically sucks, and thus stop watching.

Edamame, Kyelin, I agree with you too. There are still plenty of opportunities for flashbacks and the Izumi arc is the perfect place to cover more details on their past. It's not like this is all we are getting happy.gif besides I'm happy with what we've been given. It's truly wonderful to see their past again, even though it may be a bit different. Besides...the expectations are so high for this series...it's not easy to create a new series that does it's best to cater all FMA fans...new and old. Also it's natural for there to be disappointments.... as it's being compared...but...
As this series has only just begun....we haven't seen nothing yet. There is a lot more to see and let's enjoy it happy.gif.

QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 15 2009, 10:02 PM) *
I actually started out not liking the first series, but I gave it a chance and grew to love it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I am going to give this series a fair chance. tongue.gif

- Thank you Fullmoon for lightening the mood. We need it here....

I was the same Edamame...but look at us now happy.gif. Totally into it XD.

Yes, i agree...and right with you there wink.gif

No problem! I thought it was a bit of a laugh =D.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 15 2009, 08:22 AM
Post #147

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

QUOTE (Goral @ Apr 15 2009, 02:27 AM) *
QUOTE (Kyelinn @ Apr 15 2009, 08:23 AM) *
Did anybody every consider that they might have rushed it for a reason? (...) For all we know they could really expand and elaborate more during that entire flasback scene in those chapters...I do have a feeling Trisha is going to get plenty more screentime. (...)

But it doesn't matter that they might explain all this later on. This is "Episode 2 General Discussion" thread not Future Episodes Discussion Thread. You're being silly.

Look I'm sorry, but I'm starting to get really SICK of you quoting me and telling me I'm being silly or trying to pick fights with me. All I did was make a statement. If you don't stop being so rude to people, I'm going to report you. End of story. You might like to argue, but I don't and I'm certainly not going to do it with you. You like to be cruel and call people names and that's not what this is all about, especially in a proper debate. So please, just stop quoting me, stay away from my posts and leave me alone.

QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 15 2009, 07:02 AM) *

Thank you soooo much for saying that and same to you, fullmoon! I'm so glad somebody finally agrees with me. biggrin.gif I'm definitely giving this anime a chance. I know most people don't like the first two episodes, but I know I really enjoyed them. I really liked the 2nd one, regardless of it's fast-pacing, it was still a good episode! biggrin.gif

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 15 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #148

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Program Note>

@Goral - I agree with Kyelinn here. And, this is not an isolated incident.
I have read your posts since you registered to our board, and as soon as you came on our board you started "picking fight" right away by making posts in inciting manners.

I have openly reminded, more than a few times now, and asked to focus on the topic discussions instead and conduct discussions in civilized manners, but you continue with your name calling of our members and inciting manners of postings. It is time that you heed the reminder and change your posting manners on our board.

If you would like to pick fights with people who do not hold the same opinion as yours, I advise you to go elsewhere. Or, if you would like to continue having discussions on our board, it's time you change your inciting manner of posting and stop name calling of other posters who do not agree with your opinion.

I'm giving you 3 days of time-out time.
When you come back on, if you'd like to continue having discussions on our board, I expect you to stop your name calling of other members on our board and inciting manners of postings.

-----------------------

Once again, open reminder to everyone:
On your post, please try to stay focused on "topic discussions." Please remember...on your post, discussion is good, whereas personal fighting is not. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Apr 15 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #149

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 67,594

QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 15 2009, 02:02 PM) *

I agree with you dears. I'm really enjoying watching the episodes, and I'm a hardcore manga fan. And I still haven't seen anything in these 2 episodes (mind you, we are speaking of the first TWO episodes) has made me go: WTH this is so OOC? No, it's all within the manga context, and I'm loving it. Yes, some things are being skipped (but I consider this natural, the important thing is that they don't skip the important, essential stuff) and some things seem to be rushed (Trisha's death and Izumi's brief appearance). But I consider that as done on purpose - most probably we will have greater flashbacks later on.

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Demonic Rosebush
post Apr 15 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #150

Citizen

Member No.: 63,440

To be honest there was only one thing that seemed rushed to me. It was like, "This is Ed and Al's mum, and their daddy's gone, but luckily Trisha is really nice to them. Oh, btw, she's dead." No time to wonder if you might like this character, because before you get the time to do so, she's dead. But I'm perfectly sure we will see more of Ed and Al's past in future episodes. I mean, we have quite a few eps to go before we even get to Greed, including the boy's meeting with Izumi, which will probably bring us another flashback.

I loved the ep btw, the human transmutation was amazing. I absolutly loved it, especially the scene that came after it, where Ed was all alone. Yeah, I really liked this ep.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 03:06 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css