HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 1: Fullmetal Alchemist - Content Discussion Thread, English dub talk-back start on page 14!
Rating 5 V
Quistis88
post Apr 8 2009, 06:47 AM
Post #166

Executive Officer (Spam Assassin)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (temmy @ Apr 7 2009, 07:49 PM) *
The soundtrack: It's not as if I detest it (at least not yet), but it grated on my nerves at times (i.e. after they caught Isaac the first time and that curious soldier was talking to them, at Hughes's house, etc.). Especially at Hughes's house; sounded like Asian music, and I know it's Japan, but FMA looks like it's European, so that really stood out. I much prefer the Russian choir, but that's just me.

I agree. There was some choral stuff at one point where Ed was fighting Isaac, but for some reason, that didn't seem like an appropriate time either. The last composer (if it's the same composer, then I mean the last soundtrack) was more intuitive in terms of timing.

The curious thought bubbles . . . bothered me. Immensely. So exaggerated, and can't the characters by themselves show enough emotion to make the thought bubbles extraneous? Oh well, I shall have to get used to them, I suppose.

I think this series is relying a little too much on manga conventions. It needs to realize that it is ultimately in anime form, and needs to step away from this weird amalgamation of two different media.

Roy's curious shout seemed out of character. I liked his whole aloof, slightly emotionless character from the first series. Gave him more of a manipulative bastard vibe.

QUOTE (Automne @ Apr 7 2009, 08:11 PM) *
Also, Mustang's VA is perfect; got used to it right away.

I actually thought the current VA doesn't have as much authority in his voice as the former one. As a hardened soldier who has been through a war, Roy's voice should seem more harsh (in my opinion). As well, he is more indulgent with Ed this time around, and is showing a lot more skin since he isn't constantly wearing gloves. laugh.gif

Was it just me, or was there a lot more homoerotic lines this time around? I know it's supposed to be the army and all, but seriously . . . laugh.gif

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis
(Forum Spam Assassin, Vice-Mother, and Queen of the Grammar Police)

This sentence says something else when you're not looking.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hey
post Apr 8 2009, 07:12 AM
Post #167

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 62,200

A lot of people seem to criticise the first ep but personally I liked it. ^^
I guess I'm just the kind who watches things like that and enjoys it like that rather than be more detailful and stuff xD
I'm addicted to the OP. It may not be actionish or FMAish but I fell in love with it anyway.

To be honest I didn't think the art during some of the jokes fitted, but I live with it.
I mean the simplified funny art seems to fit better in the manga.

I really liked Roy's box of gloves. Haha I'm so weird.

Am I the only one bothered by the English 'Fullmetal Alchemist' voice during the break? I found it really...eeeh. :<

--------------------
DENIAL.

+Quote Post
Becca-chan
post Apr 8 2009, 07:44 AM
Post #168

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,345

QUOTE (Hey @ Apr 8 2009, 03:12 PM) *
Am I the only one bothered by the English 'Fullmetal Alchemist' voice during the break? I found it really...eeeh. :<

:: raises hand:: I'll admit, that voice during the eye-catches really threw me off-guard the first time around. ^^;

--------------------
Becca-chan; Your local Tucker addict...I am 100% sane, I swear! O.O;

+Quote Post
temmy
post Apr 8 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #169

Citizen

Member No.: 67,699

True, when you have watched only the first anime, it might be surprising. When you have read the manga? Come on, you could call him comic relief. That guy is constantly humiliated and "pawned" by his subordinates' comments, and he gets to really shine two-three times. I mean, the flowers part. Some people summarize everything I just said by saying that Manga!Mustang is a dork.

I've actually read the manga up to the last chapter so far and - this is just a personal preference - I prefer Roy's character in the anime to his character in the manga. I don't really know why, because I detest excessive amounts of angst usually, but . . . Hmm, maybe it's because it seems like he has a much more personal stake in his whole 'I'm becoming the Fuhrer' goal. Who knows? Regardless, I was hoping to see more of the anime!Roy than the manga!Roy in this adaptation (maybe with just a touch more ruthlessness). tongue.gif

On the same note, I also prefer the anime!Ed to the manga!Ed. The latter's too sly for his own good, while the former has a nice touch of innocence to him that I love.

I actually thought the current VA doesn't have as much authority in his voice as the former one. As a hardened soldier who has been through a war, Roy's voice should seem more harsh (in my opinion). As well, he is more indulgent with Ed this time around, and is showing a lot more skin since he isn't constantly wearing gloves.

I think the reason why I haven't had trouble adapting to Roy's new voice is because . . . I really haven't watched that many subbed episodes of the first anime. (Yes, I'm one of those dub freaks; sorry, but I just like Vic's voice attached to Ed's face). I made a comment about Roy seeming younger in this series and I was talking about his design at the time, but it may also have been his voice too, and I just didn't notice . . . (And more skin is always good when it's Roy. Heh.)

Was it just me, or was there a lot more homoerotic lines this time around? I know it's supposed to be the army and all, but seriously . . .

Dang, I must've missed something. Someone point them out? This sounds like it has the potential to be funny.

Yes, that was such a dorky voice. Haha, it bothered me too.

+Quote Post
Alzea
post Apr 8 2009, 08:00 AM
Post #170

Alchemists

Member No.: 54,118

QUOTE (Becca-chan @ Apr 8 2009, 04:44 PM) *

:: raises hand:: I'll admit, that voice during the eye-catches really threw me off-guard the first time around. ^^;
Me too. When I heard that, I was like 'WTF!?' No, really, I hope they'll change this thing quickly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 8 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #171

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Quick Reminder to everyone:
Please be kind, and try to include the source info for your quotes.

When you post a quote, please try to include the info about whose/which post you're quoting. That will help readers like me a lot. Otherwise, I keep spending time trying to find the source post that included the quoted part, and when many posters are including unnamed quotes this gets very confusing. biggrin.gif

To make a quote that automatically includes all the source post information, click on " REPLY button at the bottom of the post you'd like to quote (then edit out the irrelevant part of that quote) This way, all the source info for that quote will be automatically included with the quote, including a little Red arrow which we can click on if we'd like to go to that quoted post on the thread. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Apr 8 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #172

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

QUOTE (Hey @ Apr 8 2009, 07:12 AM) *
A lot of people seem to criticise the first ep but personally I liked it. ^^
I guess I'm just the kind who watches things like that and enjoys it like that rather than be more detailful and stuff xD
I'm addicted to the OP. It may not be actionish or FMAish but I fell in love with it anyway.

To be honest I didn't think the art during some of the jokes fitted, but I live with it.
I mean the simplified funny art seems to fit better in the manga.

I really liked Roy's box of gloves. Haha I'm so weird.

I really enjoyed the first ep as even though it started out more action-oriented than the first manga issue/first ep from the first season, I think it was a wise decision to go this route. Because this season is more based around the manga (which is still on-going at this point) and that the first season has long since finished, I feel that the writers decided to throw a curveball with the first ep as they probably assumed that most people already know how the series first starts. Plus, it definitely demonstrates the abilities of Ed, Roy, & Armstrong as State Alchemists practically immediately as well as shows us that King Bradley is not at all what he seems to be.

The manga-style jokes were strangely my favorites (this also includes Riza carrying the briefcase full of ignition gloves and Roy catching a cold) as despite the dark, dense storyline of FMA, it is first and foremost a Shonen manga so the gags are a great way to break up the tension in certain scenes. I think incorporating Arakawa's manga humor more will help this season of FMA be closer to her vision of the series.

...and yes, the English announcer during the break was meh.

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Apr 8 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #173

Executive Officer (Spam Assassin)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Hey @ Apr 8 2009, 08:12 AM) *

Oh, yes. That was so random! My first thought was: "Who the heck did they hire to do that?" laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tombow @ Apr 8 2009, 10:13 AM) *

Umm . . . have I been doing that? mellow.gif I don't come here for a while and sometimes I forget . . .

@temmy: Such homoerotic parts include the very beginning where the Führer asks Roy to make use of Ed, Ed saying something about Roy taking advantage of him (memory hazy on this one), and the Armstrong part at the end (him asking the brothers to touch his muscles, on my subbed version anyway) is also quite homoerotic. OF course, they may not have been subbed like this in other versions.

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis
(Forum Spam Assassin, Vice-Mother, and Queen of the Grammar Police)

This sentence says something else when you're not looking.

+Quote Post
Elphaba
post Apr 8 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #174

Citizen

Member No.: 53,342

My opinions/review:

- LOVED LOVED LOVED the OP/ED. The OP trumps for me, because I'm not totally onboard with the ED song yet (the drawings were cute though - but Ed only has 4 fingers?), but I just can't say enough about the OP. It didn't really click for me that this was a new series till I saw it, particularly in the Riza and Winry lip syncing bits, love love love love love it.

- In general, I prefer starting with Lior like the manga/first anime did. The last scene kind of made it sound like they will be heading to Lior eventually, but I feel like the original opening of the story was so much stronger. Maybe I'm having a hard time adjusting to the fact that the "new anime which will follow the manga" started out the first episode with an original story. Still, it got the job done.

- Ed has a babyface? Still not sold on the different technique yet, it makes him look about 12 to me (which might be a mistake on my part, I can't remember Edo's age at the beginning of the series - was it 15?), but maybe that's a good thing, maybe it will help show him aging if they really are going to go into all the Briggs stuff like the manga. Also having a bit of trouble adjusting to the new VAs, but that's cause I'm one of the people who - don't shoot me - watched the English cast first.

Looking forward to episodes now with more moments we know and love

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 8 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #175

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (Quistis88 @ Apr 8 2009, 01:43 PM) *
QUOTE (Tombow @ Apr 8 2009, 10:13 AM) *
Umm . . . have I been doing that? mellow.gif I don't come here for a while and sometimes I forget . . .

No, of course not you!! Silly!! laugh.gif

-------

And, so that this is not going to be OT post...

If anyone run into any info on the score used at the latter half of the episode, please share the info with us!! I liked that music. Granted that we had very memorable & awesome scores in the first series and IMO this wasn't that caliber yet, but this is only the first episode of the new series, so I'm staying optimistic. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Apr 8 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #176

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 8 2009, 12:00 PM) *
QUOTE (Becca-chan @ Apr 8 2009, 04:44 PM) *

Me too. When I heard that, I was like 'WTF!?' No, really, I hope they'll change this thing quickly.

Man, that was TERRIBLE!!! The second one, with Al's image sounded like those old voice overs in PC games.

But other than that, I absolutely loved everything ^^ I won't even say about it because it would sound cheesy XD lol

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Apr 8 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #177

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

Well, I WAS going to wait and watch the 1st episode when Funimation.com released it, but I was bored and couldn't wait. So I watched it fansubbed.XD

The OP was awesome! At first, I thought that it was Ed, but I realized that it was a young Hoho!! *heart*
The ED was so cute! It may not match the darkness to come, but it's nice to have something to make you smile.
I really liked how they showed the alchemy. So awesome to see. Isaac's was especially cool.
I LOVED seeing the "manga gags"! Especially when Hughes comes into the room, and Mustang has that "Oh my, no (ugh)" face (along with him thinking "A loudmouth just appeared" lol).
A glimpse of FATHER!!! THAT was unexpected!
Overall, the episode was really great! A little rushed, but not too much so. Very awesome, and the coloring was blended nicely (I noticed this at one point with Ed's hair).
I'm gonna watch it again when Funimation.com releases it on their site. happy.gif

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
Mr. Whiskey
post Apr 9 2009, 01:12 AM
Post #178

Citizen

Member No.: 65,328

I really enjoyed episode one, but I thought they ended the Isaac-Central arc rather fast. A few episodes for the arc would have been nice, although I doubt that's appropriate for the first episode :S

+Quote Post
TheGreed
post Apr 9 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #179

Citizen

Member No.: 67,670

To be honest I was a bit worried, I wasn't looking forward to a small filler episode, but after watching it I think it did a good job of easing new people in and original fans, and I really enjoyed it. Isaac was a welcome character, since he stemed from an event that originally happens in the FMA story (ishbal war.) it's something we could identify with, and properly understand his actions, whilst for thers he probably still seemed intriuging.

I think the characters designs are spot on, it seems more close to the manga's look. Not that there was anything wrong with the previous anomes design, but I much prefer this one. Also the animation <3 compared to other anime, this is an amazing achievement, I spent half the time enjoying the story and the beautiful animation, it wasn't clunky or lazy, but fantastically well done and i hope they can continue to keep this up.

The voice actors although I can hear the slight differences, did a good job, the only person who needs working on is Roy if you ask me, but thats my personal opinion and I still think they got the character spot on. And then there was Armstrong <3 to hear his voice was very welcome in my books, I started to forget how much of a legend he was. His entrance was very armstrong like and enjoyable (especially the little armstrong heads flying out of the rubble.) and we also got a treat of the 'splendid' Muscles tongue.gif

The music again i felt was spot on, for me I felt it had some similarity's to the old theme, although only slightly, but I think they all matched the scenes, especially when we got flashback to ed and al's attempt at human transmutation, nice and dramatic. The opening I really enjoyed it, light hearted at first and then grew to become more dramatic and powerful, something which fma balances well. And the ending was well enjoyed too, I liked the fact it turned out kid ed and al drew it.

A pretty solid episode, and I really enjoyed it, and even though I know what will be happening in the story next week, I find myself extremly excited! It's good to have FMA back smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Apr 9 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #180

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

I'm currently watching the Funimation stream right now (well trying to is more like it as the servers are getting hammered) and looks like they're doing a fantastic job with the subbing.

Great job on Funimation's part and hopefully they can announce the English cast soon. It'd be nice if they were able to release the first part of Brotherhood around the same time that they will in Japan.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2016 - 04:16 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css