HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dogs of the Military, Are you, or your friend or relative in the military? Tell us about it
Dearheart
post Jan 5 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #1

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 64,903

My dad is a military chaplain, and he left two days ago for Iraq to minister to the soldiers. He'll be gone five months. We miss him already, but we're also very proud of him and don't have any doubts that he'll come safely home to us again. smile.gif

So I thought I'd make a thread for our beloved "dogs of the military" and see if there was anyone else who had a friend or family member in the military. If you do, or if you're simply someone who loves your country and supports the troops, welcome! Please tell us all about it and share your thoughts!

One thing though: This thread is NOT for arguing about the war or anything. If you don't agree with the war in Iraq or if you don't like what happens over there, that's okay. I respect that. But please either keep it to yourself or take it to the Debate District. I want this to be a place of support and encouragement, not heated arguments that'll end up going nowhere.

Okay? Are we cool with that? Good. smile.gif

And because we all love FMA, here's something cute I found. It's a US soldier and a little boy in Iraq playing video games. But look closely...

Notice the boy's right arm and left leg? wink.gif (Where's Winry when you need her?) biggrin.gif

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Causmicfire
post Jan 13 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 49,283

My brother is in the U.S. Coast Guard, and he's over seas in Bahrain, a little island off the Saudi Arabia side of the Persian Gulf. He should be coming home in June, just in time for our youngest sister's graduation. His wife is also in the Coast Guard, and she's training with the Canadian Coast Guard before she goes to Guantanamo Bay--thought, Obama's plans to shut down the facility might change her orders.

My brother-in-law is a retired Marine, but he still works with the Marines teaching seminars on computer networking, and other computer related things. He still travels to bases all over the world.

My cousin is in the Army, and currently in Iraq. He's a driver, and currently trained to be a field medic, too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Schmitz_7
post Mar 6 2009, 08:07 AM
Post #3

Citizen

Member No.: 66,906

I myself am in the army.

+Quote Post
Metastasis
post Mar 24 2009, 02:20 AM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 66,992

I am in the army. I'm currently in Mosul, Iraq. Really crappy city. Mortars and rockets weekly; IED's and Grenades daily.

--------------------
Full Battle Rattle.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Mar 24 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #5

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (Metastasis @ Mar 24 2009, 05:20 AM) *
I am in the army. I'm currently in Mosul, Iraq. Really crappy city. Mortars and rockets weekly; IED's and Grenades daily.

Oh my.... I believe this is the first post on our board posted from the front!! ohmy.gif
Welcome to our board! Glad to have you with us. ^^

ETA: Gahaha, Metastasis' post below is so true, and I stand corrected. ^^ Our first post from the front-line is Metastasis' first post here, on our "Welcome" thread. biggrin.gif

BTW, I just remembered that I think we do have a couple of members who are serving in the Australian forces. Though, I think they are stationed inside Australia at the moment. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Metastasis
post Mar 24 2009, 09:54 AM
Post #6

Citizen

Member No.: 66,992

Well thanks, Tombow. Although I had a few posts a couple weeks ago, so I think those were the first posts from the frontlines. Happy to be here.

--------------------
Full Battle Rattle.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Nov 11 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

For Veterans/Remembrance Day, I'm bringing up this thread in honor of all those who are serving/have served for the country. smile.gif

BTW, this thread is for Veterans/servicemen in any country, and of course this is not to be taken as any kind of political statement. ..just adding to make sure. ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Nov 11 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #8

Special Ops (4-D Super Curator)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 39,817

Thank you to all the brave men and women who are serving/have served. (: I could never imagine being able to do what our soldiers have done for our country.

My grandfather was in the Korean War, and is still alive today.

My older brother is currently serving in the U.S. Air Force in Afghanistan. My family (including myself) are very proud of him. biggrin.gif He enjoys being in the Air Force. We worry about him over there, but he was making jokes on his facebook page that whoever's shooting at them "suck at aiming". laugh.gif Still, we're always thinking of him and praying for him.

I also have cousins who have served in the Marines and the Navy in Iraq. And they've come home a while ago, safe and sound. smile.gif

--------------------

C'mon, grab your friends. We'll go to very distant lands.
my deviantART

+Quote Post
Fairy of Darknes...
post Nov 11 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 75,608

One of my family friends is in the Marine Corps. My sister wanted to be in the Marines, but changed her mind for some reason. :/

--------------------
"Make pasta, not war."

Deviantart account

+Quote Post
ScarMySoul
post Nov 12 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #10

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 36,754

@ Metastasis ohmy.gif Thanks for everything you do!

To all the veterans out there and who are currently serving, thank you.

My grandfather, his name was Doc Savage... yes yes like the comic books, he was in the Army during WW2 and he was deployed to Saipan. I have tons of photos of him from when he was over there. RIP grandpa. <3

Also my husband is a Navy Veteran, he served for 10 years, he was on the USS Abraham Lincoln, he was stationed in Iceland for three years and his last leg was in Ingleside, Texas on the Mine warfare ships. He was in Bahrain for 6 months in 2006 and he earned a NAM (Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal) he found 37 underwater mines 7 minutes apart. I'm so proud of him.

So again, I know this is late BUT thanks to all the veterans for all you do!

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy's Lady
post Dec 7 2010, 12:45 AM
Post #11

Apprentice

Member No.: 73,733

Not currently, only in the history of time. XD

My great grandfather who was born in the late 1800's was in the Dutch army.

Here is a picture of him:

A picture of him with his army group:

There were also 2 of my grandma's cousins who became Nazi SS during WWII. My family was so horrified by the fact that they did that...we're not even German. We're Dutch. They were traitors! No one even forced them to do that. One of them was killed and the other one was thrown in jail for 7 years after the war. My family didn't re-connect with that part of the family until 25 years later when we finally had it in us to forgive them. Of course I wasn't even alive when any of this happened.

My grandma wanted to re-connect with them I think because those cousins of hers and their dad....well, he was my grandma's father's brother....and my grandma's father died a horrible death at age 26 when she was only 3 years old. sad.gif She missed her dad a lot as a kid and I think it traumatized her. Her dad was a border guard....so that was a bit like the military I think. It was during WWI too. He died on the last day of WWI. Of course the Netherlands was a neutral country in WWI.

I also had 2 uncles who were in Vietnam. One was a medic and the other was in the air force.

I have some other relatives that were in the army I think but it was ages ago and I'm not as informed about everyone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 30 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

^ @Green Eyed Envy - That a great looking pic of your great grandfather! ^^

Today is Memorial Day in U.S., so... my salute to the departed veterans who served the country...not just veterans in U.S., but any country...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Nov 12 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

This post will be merged later

For Veterans/Remembrance Day, I'm bringing up this thread in honor of all those who are serving/have served for the country. smile.gif

BTW, this thread is for Veterans/servicemen in any country, and of course this is not to be taken as any kind of political statement. ..just adding to make sure. ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 27 2013, 05:30 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Today is Memorial Day in U.S. for all fallen soldiers, and as usual, in honor of all serviceman/woman for any country, I'm bringing up this thread. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 24 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Another year has past, and tomoprrow is Memorial Day in U.S. for all fallen soldiers, and as usual, in honor of all serviceman/woman for any country, I'm bringing up this thread.

Some Memorial Day music ("Angel Flight")

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 02:57 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css