HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Art & Animation Style, Character Designs Of FMA-2: Brotherhood Anime, Warning! Possible spoilers for FMA-1 & FMA:B!
Rating 5 V
Which do you like better so far?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 243
Guests cannot vote 
Vagrant
post Apr 26 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #91

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,830

I think Brotherhood's art is possibly it's best feature so far. It's a fine looking anime.

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Apr 28 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #92

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

^That's what I think too.
I suppose the animation has come a long way since the first series was shown.

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Apr 28 2009, 02:22 AM
Post #93

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

I must say that I am realling growing to love the animation style; it is wonderful to see the artistic directors for the series staying so close to the Hiromu Arakawa´s art style for the manga. I am pleased with the decision of the artistic directors to create Edward, Hoenheim, and young Alphonse´s character design with the thick black outline for their hair; I believe that this artisitc choice sets these characters apart from everybody else and singles them out as being someone "special." For the first four episodes, the animation has been consistently up to par with my expectations. I love the fluid animation in the battle scenes, and the backgrounds for the city-scapes are done very well in my opinion. I don´t know if it is just me, but the new designs really give the characters a younger and somewhat sofer look.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Akrinis
post May 23 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #94

Citizen

Member No.: 68,998

I've noticed that the new anime is very different to the first anime. I'm not referring to the storyline, because I'm aware that the producers have decided to follow the manga's storyline closely in this series, but it appears to me that the new series is lacking...

The new anime's graphics seem very sketchy to me and the slightly monotonal. Being a huge fan of the first anime, I loved the art style and the music blended in nicely together. I'm very disappointed.

+Quote Post
FullMetalFist
post May 24 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #95

Citizen

Member No.: 50,694

Ya I know what you mean, I am not all that fond of the art as in the old series. It does seem it is just little lower down the path of quality. It still looks good, just not as good as the first series.

+Quote Post
slc2
post May 24 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #96

Citizen

Member No.: 68,626

Must..rant..

There are things I like and things I don't these are my major gripes..

The background painting is so rough and sketchy, you could argue it's more impressionistic because of a stylistic choice but they are just painted faster, less detailed, CHEAPER. They look photoshopped with this same rough crappy fake brush texture in places, I can't stand the look of the buildings, the outlines look so blatantly like weird outline filters are over them (so far the episode in Lior looks the worst, when Rose and Al are on the balcony looking over the city...it does not even look in correct perspective and the weird filter is much prevalent - also when Rose is stood by the railings..just really awful looking railings)

The animation quality has gone downhill, obviously the opening sequence looks good, but everything else..ugh. In episode 7 when Ross and Brosh are stood at some distance from us, they have not bothered to draw their faces...it is very noticable and jarring...there is a lot of 'off-model' animation with Al's face, it just changes proportion often.
The line quality around the characters is much thinner and mostly of the same thickness except a few places (last series had nicer more descriptive line quality)

The colours and lighting are sometimes ..... In the first series in Lior, Outside in the sun, Ed's coat is vibrant red and bright, because it's sunny and Lior is hot. In this series, his coat is a more muted depressing red nearly all the time, even in the desert o_0

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 24 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #97

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (slc2 @ May 24 2009, 11:53 AM) *
The colours and lighting are sometimes ..... In the first series in Lior, Outside in the sun, Ed's coat is vibrant red and bright, because it's sunny and Lior is hot. In this series, his coat is a more muted depressing red nearly all the time, even in the desert o_0

I agree about the inconsistent animation quality, and I hope it will somehow improve as the series progresses. But... about Lior... umm, in the first series of anime it's a desert town, but in manga it's NOT depicted as a desert town, is it? unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
slc2
post May 24 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #98

Citizen

Member No.: 68,626

I agree about the inconsistent animation quality, and I hope it will somehow improve as the series progresses. But... about Reole... umm, in the first series of anime it's a desert town, but in manga it's NOT depicted as a desert town, is it? unsure.gif

Oh. I might be mistaken about that then, sorry

Ahh I thought of more to rant about.

Background animation. There is none. It's like Central is populated only by the main characters. When Ed and Scar are fighting there are some very very vague stills of pedestrians with umbrella's in the background, and they looked very strange to me. You know how in the manga when Ed and Al are sat around talking, before the soldier runs up and tell's them Scar is on the loose, there are people walking around. The reason there are none in the episode is because it's easier to just not animate them, or the soldier, or to get someone to voice the soldier, these things are removed for time and money. In the old series it felt more like they were adding details, because they had a bigger budget I suppose. When they do have crowds, the crowds are mostly just still images o_0

I have a bad feeling the quality will stay the same throughout the series, and the two chapters per episode
format will remain, just because it's cheaper for them to do it that way. Unfortunately.

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post May 24 2009, 09:14 AM
Post #99

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 68,640

I just finished watching the newest episode, and I thought the fight scenes were animated pretty well. Towards the end Maria's face and hair kept changing, or maybe that was just me...Anyway, sometimes the art is a little inconsistent but I still like it because it looks so similar to the manga. I love the scenes that they take straight from a manga panel.

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 24 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #100

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

they have not bothered to draw their faces...it is very noticable and jarring...there is a lot of 'off-model' animation with Al's face, it just changes proportion often.

This does happen from time to time in this series. But guess what it happened in the first series as well. The animation was not much better in the first series. Maybe at certain instances like Greed VS Ed. But overall they cut corners with the first series too. And usually a lot of these types of things are fixed in DVD releases.

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post May 24 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #101

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

unsure.gif You know Arakawa does that a lot in the manga as well when she's drawing characters from a distance. I've seen it done in another anime and manga as well. I think it's just very common to see something like this in anime/manga.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
Trizo
post May 25 2009, 06:35 AM
Post #102

Citizen

Member No.: 67,937

QUOTE (Kirara @ May 25 2009, 02:18 AM) *
they have not bothered to draw their faces...it is very noticable and jarring...there is a lot of 'off-model' animation with Al's face, it just changes proportion often.

This does happen from time to time in this series. But guess what it happened in the first series as well. The animation was not much better in the first series. Maybe at certain instances like Greed VS Ed. But overall they cut corners with the first series too. And usually a lot of these types of things are fixed in DVD releases.

My favourite part of this is that the other characters in the frame seemed annoyed at his .... art.

Ah, but my opinion?
I prefer last round's art - I mean, I am a bit over the top but honestly it just looks lame and rushed - there's a point where you have to actually take some liberties in the production : everything seems like a storyboard. I mean, yes - I can see it improves as the episodes go on.. but I dunno, I thought I liked this palette better but I'm not sure anymore.

God I just read that back and it makes no sense - basically - me no likey.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FullMetalFist
post May 25 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #103

Citizen

Member No.: 50,694

I think the animation is getting worse, its like they are slowly unteaching themselves how to produce some proper anime. You can not denie it, but it is getting worse. I was very disappointed with episode 8's animation.

+Quote Post
xXdark_angel_nek...
post May 26 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #104

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,808

QUOTE (xXdark_angel_nekoXx @ Dec 1 2008, 12:51 PM) *
well as for me i have to say that i really like the old art and hope that they keep that way. happy.gif

ok i was wrong about this. I SO LOVE THE NEW ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

Sometimes...... some memories ain't meant to leave traces. ~Alphonse Elric

+Quote Post
edo little kid
post May 26 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #105

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 49,158

Yes I love old art , and I love the NEW ART too ! wub.gif

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 07:14 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css