HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  « < 14 15 16  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Art & Animation Style, Character Designs Of FMA-2: Brotherhood Anime, Warning! Possible spoilers for FMA-1 & FMA:B!
Rating 5 V
Which do you like better so far?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 243
Guests cannot vote 
Ama-ri
post Jun 29 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #226

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 73,157

The Brotherhood style adapts the art of Hiromu Arakawa better than the style of the first series. I'm a big fan of Arakawas art, it's quite unique. In Fma 1 they had a more mainstream-friendly stlye. Fma1 looked like just any other Anime. The usual pointed chins, every guy turned into a bishonen. And everyone. Looks. The same.
But there are some things, that bothered me REALLY much even before there was a FMA:B:

- Eds Bangs. THAT:

Seriously, what's up with his hair? what kind of hair falls that way? It was like that all the time. I always wanted to jump into the screen just to correct his hair. And beat the fanartists up who do it like that as well.

- Als Hair & eye color.

ew. Who thought that Al had this ugly shade of blond? It's almost brown. Ed and Al have the same hair and eye color. Always had. Always will have.

- Hohenheim

Who is this guy? In fma1 there is someone else posing as Hohenheim. He has no resemblance to the real Hohenheim. Hair and eye color are different, facial features are different, his hairstyle is different, his nose, his beard. And the look on his face. He always looks like he's falling asleep any moment.

- the NOSES

Are. Too. Long. Their faces look so long, and since everone has the same nose there is no characteristic about it.

- the facial features...or the lack thereof

They all have the same face minus the size and color of their eyes and their hair. If you would remove them, everyone would have the very same face.

now on to FMA:B:

The colored outlines of Eds, als and Hohos hair was a bit weird for me as well at the beginning. But I got used to it. However, what I don't like about Eds hair:

- His braid

It's too...fluffy?

- the length of his hair

or the inconsistency of it. In one episode it's rather short in the next one it's way longer. you can see that especially well in the period of time between um I think episode 44 and 45. it grew...a lot.

- his bangs from time to time

they look really weird sometimes. too lazy to get a screenshot, but when he was in hospital after lab 5 (dunno which episode it was) his bangs looked...really...weird. Too spiky... divided strangely.

Brotherhood has some flaws here and there, but it's not like there weren't any in the first series. overall I like fma:b more, obviously. Maybe I'm biased, because I read the manga even before I watched fma 1. But seriously, fma 1's style of art looks like any other anime. It's really unoriginal and hiromus artwork was adapted rather poorly.

--------------------

Signature & Avatar Artwork by Me

Deviantart | Weblog (ger)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tezrath
post Jun 29 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #227

Citizen

Member No.: 68,129

QUOTE (allykatty1 @ Jun 29 2010, 04:39 AM) *
14? O_o When did we see Ed at 14 in Anime1? I thought we skipped from 12 to 15, then he turns 16 later on. Right? wink.gif So does him being 15 legitimize the six-pack more so than if he were 14, lol? XD

Maybe you're right that he was 15 rather then 14. I still maintain that he looks like a girl in anime1 (except when his shirt is off of course). But that is exactly what made it soooo weird ;D

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Jun 29 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #228

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

QUOTE (Ama-ri @ Jun 29 2010, 01:52 PM) *
The Brotherhood style adapts the art of Hiromu Arakawa better than the style of the first series. I'm a big fan of Arakawas art, it's quite unique. In Fma 1 they had a more mainstream-friendly stlye. Fma1 looked like just any other Anime. The usual pointed chins, every guy turned into a bishonen. And everyone. Looks. The same.
But there are some things, that bothered me REALLY much even before there was a FMA:B:

- Eds Bangs. THAT:

Seriously, what's up with his hair? what kind of hair falls that way? It was like that all the time. I always wanted to jump into the screen just to correct his hair. And beat the fanartists up who do it like that as well.

- Als Hair & eye color.

ew. Who thought that Al had this ugly shade of blond? It's almost brown. Ed and Al have the same hair and eye color. Always had. Always will have.

- Hohenheim

Who is this guy? In fma1 there is someone else posing as Hohenheim. He has no resemblance to the real Hohenheim. Hair and eye color are different, facial features are different, his hairstyle is different, his nose, his beard. And the look on his face. He always looks like he's falling asleep any moment.

- the NOSES

Are. Too. Long. Their faces look so long, and since everone has the same nose there is no characteristic about it.

- the facial features...or the lack thereof

They all have the same face minus the size and color of their eyes and their hair. If you would remove them, everyone would have the very same face.

now on to FMA:B:

The colored outlines of Eds, als and Hohos hair was a bit weird for me as well at the beginning. But I got used to it. However, what I don't like about Eds hair:

- His braid

It's too...fluffy?

- the length of his hair

or the inconsistency of it. In one episode it's rather short in the next one it's way longer. you can see that especially well in the period of time between um I think episode 44 and 45. it grew...a lot.

- his bangs from time to time

they look really weird sometimes. too lazy to get a screenshot, but when he was in hospital after lab 5 (dunno which episode it was) his bangs looked...really...weird. Too spiky... divided strangely.

Brotherhood has some flaws here and there, but it's not like there weren't any in the first series. overall I like fma:b more, obviously. Maybe I'm biased, because I read the manga even before I watched fma 1. But seriously, fma 1's style of art looks like any other anime. It's really unoriginal and hiromus artwork was adapted rather poorly.

HAIR HAIR HAIR!! biggrin.gif
I personally liked the hairstyles more in FMA 1. The hairstyles in FMA:B were just too.....Naruto-ish?? Especially in the begining. And I was a bit disappointed how they changed Ed's hair from a ponytail BACK to a freakin' BRAID....UGH....I just liked ponytail more, made him a little more grown up.
LOL

However, I wouldn't say that everyone "looked the same" in the first anime. I think FMA, as in both animes and the manga, has a very distinct style with its characters. They all look pretty different to me. Whereas other animes (well, many animes) just use the same faces and body types, and simply change the hair color or eye color. (lame)

FMA's characters are all distinct, and I don't agree that they ever looked the same (even in the first anime).

I noticed you pointed out the faces looking too long in FMA 1. The only character I can say who's face looked significantly "chibi" at times in FMA:Brotherhood was Roy Mustang. And that was ANNOYING. I prefer a longer face. (imo) XD

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post Jun 30 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #229

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

Well , both shows have awesome art . But inconsistent . . Barring the last 10 episodes (which were almost flawless) fma1 had its fair share of problems .
This is what i noticed on many occassions . . The characters lack life . Big time , the art is too simple , no fine lines , nothing . . . It just feels like an image on a cardboard . . I hope i make sense .But otherwise , barring a few inconsistencies in face designs , fma1 was awesome .

Brotherhood's art impressed me further . But it has had its major issues . We get artistic masterpieces in the form of episodes 1,5,8,10,19,26,35,40-46,49,53,54 and not forgetting 60-62 , and also terrible art in episodes 7,17,37,47,57(yuck),58,63 .(all the other episodes have had terrific art) . This is the major problem.. . The inconsistent art . .
But all said and done , it was a thrilling journey . . Right till the end smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 14 15 16
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 03:23 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css