HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood, How each/both series measures up in your opinion? (Spoiler Warning!
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 287
Guests cannot vote 
Maphisto40
post Dec 15 2008, 10:52 AM
Post #46

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 62,650

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Nov 29 2008, 04:33 PM) *
Both me and my mom (whom I successfully converted to FMA fan! Go me!! biggrin.gif) think it's not very smart, doing a remake of the series so quickly.

Yay, I converted my mother too (she's 61)! She saw part of the anime at my house, and liked the concept. Then I told her how much better the manga was, and got her started on her very first manga. Lol, I had to teach her how to read right-to-left, and had to explain the few Japanese culture references, but she's on her way now, and really enjoying it. I email her the new chapters every month.

On topic: I have great appreciation for the anime, and think it was very well done, but it doesn't hold a candle to the manga in my eyes. I am ridiculously excited for this new series. I have a whole host of scenes I can't wait to see animated, not to mention manga-only characters like Ling, Mei, and Olivier. As long as they don't screw up the Ed and Winry relationship like they did in the first anime, I will be quite happy! biggrin.gif

--------------------

Hagaren manga otaku
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Dec 15 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #47

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

Actually, beside the absolutely new material from the manga, I can' wait to see the Rush Valey part redone in anime. In the first anime, they butchered Winry, they butchered Paninya, they butchered Dominique. They butchered almost everything in that part, actually. So yeah I want it redone laugh.gif

+Quote Post
xXdark_angel_nek...
post Dec 16 2008, 06:13 AM
Post #48

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,808

QUOTE (Sannom @ Dec 15 2008, 05:48 PM) *
Actually, beside the absolutely new material from the manga, I can' wait to see the Rush Valey part redone in anime. In the first anime, they butchered Winry, they butchered Paninya, they butchered Dominique. They butchered almost everything in that part, actually. So yeah I want it redone laugh.gif

ya that is true, but besides that....... that was pretty good. (in point of view)

--------------------

Sometimes...... some memories ain't meant to leave traces. ~Alphonse Elric

+Quote Post
Pipsqueaked
post Dec 16 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #49

Citizen

Member No.: 61,814

popo dont put words in my mouth.

i have not read the manga or do i intetend to at this time.

as you do, i watched the anime and i loved everything about it especially the tear jerkers, which to be fair there are alot of damn its such a disturbing and brutal journey. the characters were delightful especially armstrong. he made me chuckle.

well of course im scepticle, the best god damn anime of all time. to me lots of ways to follow on and the way they have chosen is a taboo against the original first season.

well guys all i can say is i hope its the very best because thats all fma deserves.

good luck to us all XXXxxXXX

oh and have a merry christmas

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Dec 17 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #50

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Okay, see the "reply" button under each post? If you want to reply to a certain post click that. Quoting people makes it far easier for people to understand what you're trying to say.

popo dont put words in my mouth.

i have not read the manga or do i intetend to at this time.

Admittedly I blatantly misinterpreted you but still, you have essentially said the manga that wasn't adapted was omitted because it was a "crease" and you say this without, apparently, havibng read the manga which makes your argument rather worthless.
It's fine that you don't want to read the manga for whatever reason but if you are going to do that then it's silly of you (and I'm being polite here) to say the manga material was left out because of some flaw.
The simple fact is that the anime went a different way from the manga because Bones realised they would over take the manga so set up their own plot early on but didn't really jump into it until the second half of the show when they left the manga behind. Nothing to do with the quality of writing.

well of course im scepticle, the best god damn anime of all time. to me lots of ways to follow on and the way they have chosen is a taboo against the original first season.

Jesus...
I mean really, good Christ.
I'll ignore the "best anime evar" thing, people are to their opinions, but saying that you consider talking about another series "taboo" takes us right into Crazytown. If you really feel that way (and I hope not because Sweet Jesus is that worrying) then that's your problem and not mine or anybody else's. If you consider it so taboo then read other parts of the forum and leave this section alone. It's clearly of no interest to you.
Also, if FMA is really that important to you then shouldn't you give the manga a try to see what the original story was intended to be?

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Aureinne
post Dec 18 2008, 06:44 AM
Post #51

Citizen

Member No.: 65,010

I think that the first season of FMA was quite good, specially the stuffs relating to the homunculus. In my opinion, it was easier to sympathize with the homunculus in the anime than in the manga because they had reasons (very reasonable reasons, in my opinion) to hate humankind. The only stuff I dislike about the anime is the ending. @_@ I really dislike it. I still can't accept that Ed and Al left Winry alone (ah, but that's because I really love their relationship in the manga).

Anyway, I like the manga a lot more than the anime since the relationships of the characters with each other were way deeper here than in the anime (in my opinion), so I'm really excited to see the anime based on the manga. Plus, I like Hohenheim's role in the manga than in the anime. And I think that seeing the Xingese characters animated would be something to look forward too...!

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Mar 1 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #52

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

Me too! I am so excited to see the Xingese people animated!

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Hagane no Baka
post Mar 19 2009, 06:03 AM
Post #53

Citizen

Member No.: 66,287

Yay after seeing the trailers like a zillion times I really got my hopes up that the new series will be manga based (and I hope they'll do thier best to really do it!! There's a new character Isaac but that doesn't bother me as long as they get the rest right from the beginng till the end). And that way for me it will be so much better than the first season. It's true that it was the first season which got me into liking FMA but after reading the manga I realised that for me manga is top quality (nothing compares), the first season just had too many holes and inconsistency. Oh and is it just me or is there anybody else who wishes to see the adventures with the minor characters re-animated again like the Fake Elric Brothers and the 13th House or whatwasitagain? happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Mar 19 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #54

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

I loved the first season. But I really can't wait for the second one! I had go into FMA by watching the anime first, then reading the manga. The manga seems a bit better to me cuz it's continueing and each chapter gets better. There are many characters and scenes I can't WAIT to see animated!:D

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
muziris
post Mar 27 2009, 04:57 AM
Post #55

Citizen

Member No.: 67,409

The first series was what got me reading the manga, and considering what they had to work with at the time, and the fact that Hiromu Arakawa herself told BONES she wanted the ending of the anime to be different, they did an alright job.

What bothered me about it was just that as soon as it left the manga-canon material, all the characters seemed to really fall out of character. They made Winry really bitchy (I adore her, but I can see why some anime-only watchers would really dislike her - especially after the Rush Valley episode. Ew.)

Ed was just far too dominating. He makes up 98% of his and Al's relationship, when it should be a balanced 50/50; and where Al is concerned, Ed wasn't protective - he was borderline controlling. D: There's also a small scene later in the anime where he actually shoves Winry against a table. What the hell?

And Al! When he wasn't calling out "Brother" and following Ed around like a puppy, he was acting so unbelievably stupid. Every time Al made a decision to do something on his own, he usually put himself and everyone around him in more danger. Like after Lab 5, when he just ran off to hang with Scar. And after he became the Philosopher's Stone, and went to meet Shou Tucker, of all people - even after Ed told him Tucker was just going to use him to make his Pseudo!Nina. And then he kept trying to stop Ed from killing Sloth even while Sloth was trying to kill them. None of this makes sense for a character that was meant to be smart and rational.

/rant

That being said, I don't hate the first series - hell, I didn't even mind the ending - I just believe that it could have been much, much better.

Which is why I have such high hope for the new series. There was so much in the manga that I really, really wished I could've seen animated. The manga plot is a lot tighter, too (next to no plot holes when the first anime had several), and I find the characters much more appealing as well. So while the new series hasn't even aired yet, what I've seen of it in trailers, promos, and interviews, and the mere fact that it's manga based, has got me thinking that it will be much better than the first. : )

+Quote Post
Hagane no Baka
post Mar 27 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #56

Citizen

Member No.: 66,287

QUOTE (muziris @ Mar 27 2009, 04:57 AM) *
The first series was what got me reading the manga, and considering what they had to work with at the time, and the fact that Hiromu Arakawa herself told BONES she wanted the ending of the anime to be different, they did an alright job.

What bothered me about it was just that as soon as it left the manga-canon material, all the characters seemed to really fall out of character. They made Winry really bitchy (I adore her, but I can see why some anime-only watchers would really dislike her - especially after the Rush Valley episode. Ew.)

Ed was just far too dominating. He makes up 98% of his and Al's relationship, when it should be a balanced 50/50; and where Al is concerned, Ed wasn't protective - he was borderline controlling. D: There's also a small scene later in the anime where he actually shoves Winry against a table. What the hell?

And Al! When he wasn't calling out "Brother" and following Ed around like a puppy, he was acting so unbelievably stupid. Every time Al made a decision to do something on his own, he usually put himself and everyone around him in more danger. Like after Lab 5, when he just ran off to hang with Scar. And after he became the Philosopher's Stone, and went to meet Shou Tucker, of all people - even after Ed told him Tucker was just going to use him to make his Pseudo!Nina. And then he kept trying to stop Ed from killing Sloth even while Sloth was trying to kill them. None of this makes sense for a character that was meant to be smart and rational.

/rant

You're so right! I agree with every mistake you mentioned, esp about Al, he was so annoying! (manga Al is waaaaaaaaaay better happy.gif ) And all that emo atmosphere.. esp in the movie.. rolleyes.gif

I also wonder why I noticed this things only after I've seen the anime and started reading the manga.. ah well I won't go into debating on how my brain works! xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Becca-chan
post Mar 27 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #57

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,345

@ muzuris and Hagane_no_Baka - On the above posts concerning Al's supposed 'Out-of-character' thing in the first anime series...can I just put in my few cents/ opinions about it?

First of all, concerning him following Ed around like a lost puppy and calling him 'Brother' I suppose you don't like it and find it annoying because he was too much like a young child when he was supposed to be a teenager, yes?

Well last time I checked, the Alphonse in the first anime really *was* still a ten year old boy trapped in armour, there's a big difference between the mentality of a 10 year old and the mentality of a fourteen/ fifteen year old.
And I don't really pay attention to the fact that he says that he's fourteen because a soul can't age without a body, not even when it's trapped in armour.
So of course he's going to still follow his big brother around...and that *also* explains why Ed seems so 'dominating' as you put it, Edward is actually trying to protect his little brother, because he still sees him as a kid brother that needs to be protected.

Alphonse in the manga...he acts the way he does because chances are that his soul has 'magically' aged, so his mentality is like that of a teenager's instead of a young boy.

Also, about the thing about whenever he does things for himself and puts people or himself in danger.
Again, ten year old boy mentality...of course he's going to act irrational at times; and in doing so, he makes mistakes...in making those mistakes, it gives him the chance to learn from it.
At least being irrational, making mistakes and growing from them is better than already being wisened up to know just what to do...the latter just gives off the atmosphere of 'too perfect' if you ask me.

Last I saw, he did not hang around with Scar in the sense of 'Oh my brother could be in trouble, Oh to heck with that, I'll just go hang around with my buddy Scar!'
I'm pretty sure that he just ended up being with him temporarily because of the circumstances at the time.

As for wanting to help Shou restore his daughter...erm...and what's so wrong with that?
Alphonse could never turn his back on those who were suffering, even if they were enemies...something that his brother has never exactly been blessed with.
Also ( believe it or not) Shou did have a much closer relationship to the boys than his unfortunate hi-bye manga counterpart.
Shou had known them for more than two days and from what I can see, was nearly like an Uncle as well as mentor to them.

Despite everything that had happened, I think that Al still felt that he could trust Shou a little bit, and he possibly missed Nina as well.
( And in the chimera alchemist's defense, I don't even think Shou *knew* that Al was the Philosophers stone until he put his hands on Al's shoulders) and when Ed starts...being Ed when he sees what 'Shou' did, Alphonse takes responsibility over what's happened to a part of his armour in saying 'we' ( meaning him and Shou) used the Philosopher's stone and that was the result.

So Al is still mature in his own way...the reason it's probably not as noticable as his manga self is because people get too caught up with the manga's version of the characters to really pay any attention to the personality of the anime's version of the characters.

And when they do pay attention and still aren't satisfied...well, it'll just prove to be interesting if the new anime's character personalities still vary a bit from the manga's.

As for my personal opinion of the series, I still prefer the characters personalities and relationships from the first anime; and the same goes for the story that went with it as well.

Concerning the new anime - I will admit that while I'm excited about this new FMA anime that will be starting soon...I'm also nervous because of all the havoc that could start if it doesn't live up to people's expectations.

Myself...I'm not too bothered about what will happen because I've already resigned myself to the fate that it won't be the same anime that got me into the FMA fandom in the first place.

The first anime series will always have a special place in my heart, and that's something that neither the manga nor this new series could ever do.

--------------------
Becca-chan; Your local Tucker addict...I am 100% sane, I swear! O.O;

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Mar 27 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #58

State Alchemist (Major)

Man, are you kidding??? I just saw the anime for the first time, and Al is frigging annoying and stupid at the end. Okay, Ed too is particularly stupid with his obsession of doing everything all by himself without any help from his brother or his friends. Al must be the biggest disappointment in the anime in fact... I mean, COME ON, he dared to say that perhaps Scar's vengeance could be considered as an equivalent exchange (the anime's focus on that law in the beginning is also very annoying for me).

+Quote Post
muziris
post Mar 28 2009, 02:47 AM
Post #59

Citizen

Member No.: 67,409

QUOTE (Becca-chan @ Mar 27 2009, 11:20 AM) *
First of all, concerning him following Ed around like a lost puppy and calling him 'Brother' I suppose you don't like it and find it annoying because he was too much like a young child when he was supposed to be a teenager, yes?

Actually, it annoyed me because Al is supposed to be a more independent character, and he never did anything on his own of any merit. : / He's a younger brother, he's supposed to admire his older brother and support him and whatnot, but not to the point of being a puppy. He was completely dependent.

It also bothered me because in the first 20 episodes, they established Al as the more mature/rational thinker of the two. It was even implied that he was a better martial artist. So why is it that in later episodes he keeps acting irrationally by doing really illogical things and putting himself in unnecessary danger? It doesn't make any sense.

It wasn't "He got reckless and made a minor mistake and learned from it," it was more like "He made spontaneous stupid decisions that usually ended up with him in unnecessary danger, and he didn't learn from them."

a soul can't age without a body, not even when it's trapped in armour.

I disagree. We age mentally by our experiences, not by years. A twenty-year-old man who's never experienced life outside of a room with puzzles and cartoons is going to have the same mentality as a ten-year-old. A twelve-year-old girl who grows up with a single mom, and has to look after her younger siblings because the mom is working all the time will think and act more like a sixteen/seventeen-year-old.

And Al has experienced more in his short lifetime than most 80-year-olds. So yes, logically speaking, he should be more mature and independent. : /

Also ( believe it or not) Shou did have a much closer relationship to the boys than his unfortunate hi-bye manga counterpart.
Shou had known them for more than two days and from what I can see, was nearly like an Uncle as well as mentor to them.

Yeah, but that was before he transmuted his daughter.

Last I saw, he did not hang around with Scar in the sense of 'Oh my brother could be in trouble, Oh to heck with that, I'll just go hang around with my buddy Scar!'

I meant after Lab 5, when Ed was in the hospital and Al was tricked into believing that Ed fabricated his memory and ran off. Ed wasn't in any danger.

people get too caught up with the manga's version of the characters to really pay any attention to the personality of the anime's version of the characters.

My comment wasn't really even a comparison to his manga self, though. I was mostly comparing Al's later!self with his anime self earlier in the series, and the kind of character the anime itself made him out to be. It just so happened that the bit in the series where this was set up were the parts that were still following the manga. : <

In fact, all the characters were portrayed fine until the show deviated from the manga, and they began acting OOC. Different interpretations are all fine and dandy, but when they're acting differently than what the anime has already established for no believable reason... it's just disappointing. : (

Again, I'm not saying the first series is bad in any way, shape, or form. I simply didn't like a lot of the character portrayals in the later half of it. I just wish Al could have done something of importance besides bringing Ed back, cuz... Everything else he did on his own was kind of pointless. D:

Which, again, is one of many reasons why I'm looking forward to the new series so much. Al does stuff. Important stuff. : D

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Mar 28 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #60

State Alchemist (Major)

I disagree. We age mentally by our experiences, not by years.

I disagree, kinda. In the manga, I have come to closely link physical growth and aging to psychological maturing. Not in Al's case, but in the Homonculus' cases. They're all inexperienced and weak in battle because they were born with an "experience", a mind and a personality already set in stone. The only exception is Wrath, and HE is the only Homonculus that ages physically.

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2016 - 07:15 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css