HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood, How each/both series measures up in your opinion? (Spoiler Warning!
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 287
Guests cannot vote 
Dark-Winds
post Jan 21 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #301

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 75,903

Okay, maybe I used the wrong choice of words. I don't mean to say that nobody has ever had guilt. And yes, I realized that's what I made it sound like because I wasn't clear enough. And for that, I appologize. I'm not saying that people haven't had hardships. Trust me, I've had my own.

What I meant to say was that I don't like it when people say that they like the first anime BECAUSE it's dark. And because they can relate to Edward or Roy or whoever. Because I mean, if you can relate to them in the first anime, can't you relate to them in Brotherhood too? It's the same cahracters with pretty much the same experiances.

I just don't like it when people pick that as being their reasoning for why they like the first anime. Because then that means that they can relate to Brotherhood too. They should be able to relate to the FMA fandom as a whole.

As for me, I like the first anime for many reasons. Not because it's dark or because I can relate to it, because I could say that about the whole series in general.

@Misty-Nala I never said that you didn't read the manga and watch both series. I was actually just making a comment in general, as a whole. And okay, that's fine that the emotional moments didn't effect you personally, or stand out to you. I was saying that you just can't say that Brotherhood sacraficed emotion for fighting. Because even you said that you note when there are emotional moments in Brotherhood. Just because they didn't stand out to you personally, doesn't mean that they aren't emotional. And it doesn't mean that emotion was sacraficed for the sake of fighting.

And okay, you do make a good point about Roy. Personal prefrance after all. Understandable.

I jsut wish that everyone could accept both animes for what they are. They're both FMA. I mean, shouldn't we like both of them? WHat's the harm in more FMA! =) It's more FMA, after all! That's why I love both series. I'm always pumped for anything that's FMA. Like, I really wanna read the light novels. I don't think that either series has ruined the other. ANd if we all wanna call ourselves FMA fans, we should appreciate and love everything that is FMA. The good, and the bad. That's what's being a fan is all about, isn't it?

--------------------

Roy x Riza - Edward x Winry - Ling x Lan Fan - Alphonse x Mei - Havoc x Rebecca
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xUltimate_Shield...
post Jan 21 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #302

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,845

QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 21 2011, 06:40 PM) *
I jsut wish that everyone could accept both animes for what they are. They're both FMA. I mean, shouldn't we like both of them? WHat's the harm in more FMA! =) It's more FMA, after all! That's why I love both series. I'm always pumped for anything that's FMA. Like, I really wanna read the light novels. I don't think that either series has ruined the other. ANd if we all wanna call ourselves FMA fans, we should appreciate and love everything that is FMA. The good, and the bad. That's what's being a fan is all about, isn't it?

Yes! A true FMA fan loves every adaptation of FMA. Why complain about another series of FMA? Enjoy that there's more of it! If you're an FMA fan, why are you fighting against it? Against versions of characters you love? A true fan accepts and enjoys all of it =)

--------------------

Roy x Riza ~ Ling x Lan Fan ~ Ed x Winry ~ Havoc x Rebecca

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Jan 21 2011, 05:44 PM
Post #303

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,903

Relax, I was half-joking! (Hence the silly smiley face at the end. I'd hoped that'd be a big enough clue, but I guess not.) I'm not trying to start any fights! O.o I was just trying to be real and honest; I didn't mean to sound snippy. I'm sorry if I offended you! sad.gif I'm just saying, if people relate better to the characters in the first anime than the second one, and that's a reason they have for preferring it, then so be it. Who are we to put that down? That's how I personally see it, but you guys don't have to agree with me if you don't want to. Please don't bite my head off! sad.gif Again, I'm sorry!

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!

+Quote Post
xUltimate_Shield...
post Jan 21 2011, 05:46 PM
Post #304

Apprentice

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Jan 21 2011, 06:44 PM) *
Relax, I was half-joking! (Hence the silly smiley face at the end. I'd hoped that'd be a big enough clue, but I guess not.) I'm not trying to start any fights! O.o I was just trying to be real and honest; I didn't mean to sound snippy. I'm sorry if I offended you! sad.gif I'm just saying, if people relate better to the characters in the first anime than the second one, and that's a reason they have for preferring it, then so be it. Who are we to put that down? That's how I personally see it, but you guys don't have to agree with me if you don't want to. Please don't bite my head off! sad.gif Again, I'm sorry!

No one's biting your head off. No one's fighting with you, and no one feels offended. You shouldn't feel the need to apologize, no one thinks it's wrong or bad if you relate better to the first anime, because different people have different preferences =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dark-Winds
post Jan 21 2011, 05:48 PM
Post #305

Apprentice

QUOTE (xUltimate_Shieldx @ Jan 21 2011, 07:43 PM) *
QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 21 2011, 06:40 PM) *

Yes! A true FMA fan loves every adaptation of FMA. Why complain about another series of FMA? Enjoy that there's more of it! If you're an FMA fan, why are you fighting against it? Against versions of characters you love? A true fan accepts and enjoys all of it =)

Yes I agree. For example. I actually loved episode 5 of the first series. When we were watching it the other day, there were so many parts that made me laugh hysterically. Especially when Hughes was on the phone with Roy talking about Gracia and then Riza picked up the phone and started yelling about how babies aren't born in 5 months. I actually liked that episode more in the first anime than I did in the manga because of the different adaptaion.

And the whole thing with Nina in the first anime was great too. I loved that they spent more time with her and got to know her more. And Ed's letter to Winry always makes me laugh.

I love things about both series. I dislike things in both series. But all in all it's more FMA, different adaptaions and it's great! I jsut want everyone to see it that way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xUltimate_Shield...
post Jan 21 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #306

Apprentice

QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 21 2011, 06:48 PM) *
I love things about both series. I dislike things in both series. But all in all it's more FMA, different adaptaions and it's great! I jsut want everyone to see it that way.

Same here. If people could, then there wouldn't be these dumb pointless FMA wars. Instead, FMA fans could just get along. Cause I mean, either way, with all of our differences, we all share a love for FMA.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jan 21 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #307

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Jan 21 2011, 05:44 PM) *

It's okay Dear Heart, sorry if we all jumped on you. I do actually think it is perfectly fine to connect to one series' characters more than the other (I actually don't agree that they are the same characters but that would be an entirely too long discussion).

Your reasons for connecting to first anime Ed more make sense just as long as you realize someone might have equally good reasons to connect more with manga Ed!

So I don't have an issue for your reason for preferring the first anime. I prefer the manga so I would be a hypocrite if I said you can't prefer the first series. Everyone has their personal reasons even those who like both series equally and I don't think you are wrong to defend your reasons

edit: I will also say I am not a true FMA fan just a true FMA manga fan. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Dark-Winds
post Jan 21 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #308

Apprentice

QUOTE (xUltimate_Shieldx @ Jan 21 2011, 07:50 PM) *
QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 21 2011, 06:48 PM) *

Same here. If people could, then there wouldn't be these dumb pointless FMA wars. Instead, FMA fans could just get along. Cause I mean, either way, with all of our differences, we all share a love for FMA.

I agree. But the sad reality of that is that not everyone can view it that way. Ah well. I will just swim around in my love for both series and the manga and await the upcoming FMA movie with excitment, even if other people don't =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
xUltimate_Shield...
post Jan 21 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #309

Apprentice

QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 21 2011, 06:52 PM) *
I agree. But the sad reality of that is that not everyone can view it that way. Ah well. I will just swim around in my love for both series and the manga and await the upcoming FMA movie with excitment, even if other people don't =)

I will do the same! =D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Jan 21 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #310

Alchemists

Okay, well, when I saw this...

Okay, we're trying to AVOID conflict here, and it sounds like you're trying to START it. We're trying to make good legit points and that point isn't helping anyone here. This isn't a forum for you to talk about your "dark secrets" and compare yourself to Ed. All me or a bunch of other people here just want people to be able to accept every adaptation of FMA and accept that all of them are good in some aspect. Sure, they all have some bad points, but so doesn't everything.

...it sounded like you were accusing me of trying to start a fight. And hearing something like "that point isn't helping anything" or "this isn't a place for you to talk about your 'dark secrets' and compare yourself to Ed" - after you guys were just talking about people relating to FMA characters in either/both anime versions - sounded a bit harsh. I'm not trying to emo on anyone, I'm trying to prove my point. And it stings a little when someone tosses that away and implies that what you said/experienced isn't a "legit" point. So forgive me for getting a little defensive. *nervous laugh* I'm sorry if I misunderstood you at all, and I'm more than happy to move on.

Anyway, I think people are confusing "emotion" with "atmosphere". I'll get into that in just a bit...I need time to collect my thoughts for a second...

EDIT: Thank you very much for your understanding, Kirara. I really appreciate it, and I completely understand and agree with your point. Both Eds are awesome, and people can relate to both in lots of different ways. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
xUltimate_Shield...
post Jan 21 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #311

Apprentice

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Jan 21 2011, 06:57 PM) *
Okay, well, when I saw this...

Okay, we're trying to AVOID conflict here, and it sounds like you're trying to START it. We're trying to make good legit points and that point isn't helping anyone here. This isn't a forum for you to talk about your "dark secrets" and compare yourself to Ed. All me or a bunch of other people here just want people to be able to accept every adaptation of FMA and accept that all of them are good in some aspect. Sure, they all have some bad points, but so doesn't everything.

...it sounded like you were accusing me of trying to start a fight. And hearing something like "that point isn't helping anything" or "this isn't a place for you to talk about your 'dark secrets' and compare yourself to Ed" - after you guys were just talking about people relating to FMA characters in either/both anime versions - sounded a bit harsh. I'm not trying to emo on anyone, I'm trying to prove my point. And it stings a little when someone tosses that away and implies that what you said/experienced isn't a "legit" point. So forgive me for getting a little defensive. *nervous laugh* I'm sorry if I misunderstood you at all, and I'm more than happy to move on.

Anyway, I think people are confusing "emotion" with "atmosphere". I'll get into that in just a bit...I need time to collect my thoughts for a second...

Sorry, it was a bit of a misunderstanding on my part as well. The way you worded your original statement sounded like you were trying to pick a fight, and the smiley seemed more mocking than joking, so that's my bad.

I don't want to fight with anyone on here. I want to resolve all the fighting. As I said many times before, I just want people to at least accept all the forms of FMA, even if they can't bring themselves to like them. It's all FMA, after all!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Jan 21 2011, 06:17 PM
Post #312

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Jan 21 2011, 05:19 PM) *
QUOTE (Turdaewen @ Jan 21 2011, 03:54 PM) *
But, I must disagree that "people tend to feel emotional for FMA:B because it's more recent". If FMA:B was a bad anime or worse than FMA 1, people would hate it just the same. For example: the Trekkers hated the new Star Trek movie (I kinda liked it). Even though it's more "recent" and fresh in their heads than the originals.

I think you have a point here. I'm just counting on my personal feelings. I'm not saying FMA:B or manga are bad or should be considered that. I'm just saying that one can only find out the true value of a book or a movie years after the release. Yes, it might be a big thing now but what about it ten years?

If a movie is bad (and bad is different to everyone), fans will dump it instantly. If they think it is good, they watch it time after time.
What I am trying to say is that opinions change with time. When Manga ended, I thought it was a masterpiece. Then I read it again and my opinion changed completely.

So... damn, isn't this difficult. I'm not saying that being recent automatically makes the story more precious to fans. I'm saying that the emotions they went through are still fresh in their minds. The memories about anime 1 may have faded with time. After all, it has been years since the release. They remember the recent story better and may have watched the first show so many times they have become fed up with it.

I hope you understood what I mean tongue.gif

Yes, I do get it! ^^ That's why I said that you did had a point... I was just pointing out that it's not that simple (but I'm sure you know that as well).

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Jan 21 2011, 07:37 PM
Post #313

Alchemists

Alright, I think I've untangled my brain enough to post again. xD

I completely agree with you all that all three versions of FMA are amazing in their own ways, and that they should all be loved and celebrated accordingly. I also agree that they all have the same amount of emotion, for the most part.

However, like I mentioned before, I think a lot of people are confusing "emotion" with "atmosphere" - in other words, how the mood of the scene is set up and how the emotions flow and combine with everything else (the music, the pacing, the art, etc).

DISCLAIMER: Everything below is my own opinion, and I'm not expecting you to agree with everything I say. Peace out. xD

Personally, I think the overall atmosphere was handled much better in the first anime than Brotherhood. (No, I'm NOT saying that one is better than the other; I'm simply comparing their strengths and weaknesses.) In my opinion, Brotherhood's greatest flaw is inconsistency - not just in the art, but in the music, the pacing, the direction, etc. If I could sum up my overall impression of the series in one word, it would be "whiplash". The episode could be right in the middle of a tense, serious scene, or a thoughtful, tender moment...and then out of the blue would come this random, dippy, exaggerated slapstick moment to completely ruin it. Or there would an epic battle scene or a dramatic, defining moment, and the music would either be badly placed, totally unfitting or too overbearing (or all three at once). Or maybe it would be an emotional moment, but it would go by too fast to savor it, or the art or direction of the scene would feel flat, or the characters would reveal their deepest feelings or philosophies at the mere drop of a hat, without any proper buildup.

This may appear as nit-picking, but in actuality, it's all these little things combined as a whole that pulls you in and affects how you feel about what's happening. Atmosphere is a huge part of what makes the emotions real to people; and I think Brotherhood, while it had redeeming moments (EPISODE 19), lacked it in far too many critical places. The episodes where EVERYTHING came together were often few and far between, IMO (ESPECIALLY in the beginning. Ugh, I just want to pretend that the first third of Brotherhood doesn't exist...with some exceptions, but still...) >.< That may be why some people - especially the ones that saw anime 1 first - get more emotion out of the first anime than the second one. It's not the emotion itself they find lacking; it's how it's presented.

Now unlike a lot of you, I'm not into anime at all. I'm strictly a bookworm/movie-goer, and FMA is my one, big exception (which should speak volumes on how awesome the whole franchise is, lol). So maybe that rubs off a little on how I see these animes. To me, anime1 feels wonderfully consistent, tasteful and cinematic. It was very clear that the people behind it knew exactly what kinds of emotions they wanted people to feel, how and when to invoke them, and how to transition you to another mood without jarring you or yanking you out of the story in the process. I really appreciate how tastefully the music was used, how consistent the art was, how cohesive each episode felt, and how they never used comic relief for the sake of comic relief. Even in the funny episodes, there were beautifully thoughtful moments ("Living people are far more frightening than the dead, Lieutenant. Give me a ghost to talk to any day." Or something along those lines...) People don't always need to be "relieved" when something gets sad or serious, and anime1 understood that. For all its angst overloads and various plot holes, there's a certain thoughtful, subtle maturity I feel in it that I don't get as much of in Brotherhood...not from the characters, but from the way the series is put together overall.

Did all that rambling make sense? xD Again, none of this is to say that the first anime is better or more emotional than Brotherhood. I simply feel it was more consistent in quality and better directed, overall. And again, that's just me. You're more than welcome to disagree.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xUltimate_Shield...
post Jan 21 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #314

Apprentice

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Jan 21 2011, 08:37 PM) *
Alright, I think I've untangled my brain enough to post again. xD

I completely agree with you all that all three versions of FMA are amazing in their own ways, and that they should all be loved and celebrated accordingly. I also agree that they all have the same amount of emotion, for the most part.

However, like I mentioned before, I think a lot of people are confusing "emotion" with "atmosphere" - in other words, how the mood of the scene is set up and how the emotions flow and combine with everything else (the music, the pacing, the art, etc).

DISCLAIMER: Everything below is my own opinion, and I'm not expecting you to agree with everything I say. Peace out. xD

Personally, I think the overall atmosphere was handled much better in the first anime than Brotherhood. (No, I'm NOT saying that one is better than the other; I'm simply comparing their strengths and weaknesses.) In my opinion, Brotherhood's greatest flaw is inconsistency - not just in the art, but in the music, the pacing, the direction, etc. If I could sum up my overall impression of the series in one word, it would be "whiplash". The episode could be right in the middle of a tense, serious scene, or a thoughtful, tender moment...and then out of the blue would come this random, dippy, exaggerated slapstick moment to completely ruin it. Or there would an epic battle scene or a dramatic, defining moment, and the music would either be badly placed, totally unfitting or too overbearing (or all three at once). Or maybe it would be an emotional moment, but it would go by too fast to savor it, or the art or direction of the scene would feel flat, or the characters would reveal their deepest feelings or philosophies at the mere drop of a hat, without any proper buildup.

This may appear as nit-picking, but in actuality, it's all these little things combined as a whole that pulls you in and affects how you feel about what's happening. Atmosphere is a huge part of what makes the emotions real to people; and I think Brotherhood, while it had redeeming moments (EPISODE 19), lacked it in far too many critical places. The episodes where EVERYTHING came together were often few and far between, IMO. That may be why some people - especially the ones that saw anime 1 first - get more emotion out of the first anime than the second one. It's not the emotion itself they find lacking; it's how it's presented.

Now unlike a lot of you, I'm not into anime at all. I'm strictly a bookworm/movie-goer, and FMA is my one, big exception (which should speak volumes on how awesome the whole franchise is, lol). So maybe that rubs off a little on how I see these animes. To me, anime1 feels wonderfully consistent, tasteful and cinematic. It was very clear that the people behind it knew exactly what kinds of emotions they wanted people to feel, how and when to invoke them, and how to transition you to another mood without jarring you or yanking you out of the story in the process. I really appreciate how tastefully the music was used, how consistent the art was, how cohesive each episode felt, and how they never used comic relief for the sake of comic relief. People don't always need to be "relieved" when something gets sad or serious, and anime1 understood that. For all its angst overloads and various plot holes, there's a certain thoughtful, subtle maturity I feel in it that I don't get as much of in Brotherhood...not from the characters, but from the way the series is put together overall.

Did all that rambling make sense? xD Again, none of this is to say that the first anime is better or more emotional than Brotherhood. I simply feel it was more consistent in quality and better directed, overall. And again, that's just me. You're more than welcome to disagree.

I totally agree with you when you say the atmosphere and music and all of that is better in the first anime, and that there are a lot of inconsistencies and wrong directing choices in Brotherhood, because that's true. However, I don't think it necessarily makes the emotions any less powerful. I think both animes have their very powerful moments, and I think both have their not so great moments. Brotherhood just tends to have more directing mess ups, which is too bad. I've wished before that Bones waited to make an FMA anime so that way they could have combined all the beautiful music and coloring and atmosphere of the first anime to the original storyline of the manga.

However, I disagree when you say the first anime is more emotional. I think they're both equally very emotional. Brotherhood may have its bad moments, but it does have scenes that are very well done too. It's not completely bad; then absolutely no one would like it. In the end, they're both amazing animes.

But I mean, in the end, this is the reason why I prefer the manga over both animes xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dark-Winds
post Jan 21 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #315

Apprentice

QUOTE (xUltimate_Shieldx @ Jan 21 2011, 09:44 PM) *
I totally agree with you when you say the atmosphere and music and all of that is better in the first anime, and that there are a lot of inconsistencies and wrong directing choices in Brotherhood, because that's true. However, I don't think it necessarily makes the emotions any less powerful. I think both animes are have their very powerful moments, and I think both have their not so great moments. Brotherhood just tends to have more directing mess ups, which is too bad. I've wished before that Bones waited to make an FMA anime so that way they could have combined all the beautiful music and coloring and atmosphere of the first anime to the original storyline of the manga.

But I mean, in the end, this is the reason why I prefer the manga over both animes xD

I also agree. I think that Brotherhood made a lot of poor directing choices, mostly because they didn't want to repeat what was done in the first anime. I can understand that, but in my opinon, it would have been worth it to repeat all of that stuff. Would it have bored some people? Yes. Would it have pleased others and made it an overall better series? Yes.

I agree that I also prefer the manga. Because it's a little bit of everything ^.^

--------------------

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2016 - 03:39 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css