HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood, How each/both series measures up in your opinion? (Spoiler Warning!
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 287
Guests cannot vote 
Pipsqueaked
post Nov 26 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 61,814

forgetting something guys?

the very fact that it didnt follow the manga to the letter is what made this anime so good, they ironed out the creases and left you with the best anime of all time imo.

now as for hagane 2 i hope it isnt a mediocre attempt at a series like naruto were constantly changing artists fillers and so on just ruin it and make it die a humiliating death. that happens when they follow a script that seems to last forever........
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Nov 29 2008, 05:33 PM
Post #32

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,903

Both me and my mom (whom I successfully converted to FMA fan! Go me!! biggrin.gif) think it's not very smart, doing a remake of the series so quickly. The first one was so top-notch in quality (and yes I KNOW they "didn't follow the manga", but it was still amazingly brilliant for an anime. So shut up). tongue.gif I don't see how they'll be able to equal it, let alone surpass it. It's like someone coming along and saying "Hey! Let's do a remake of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, since he cut out some characters and didn't follow the books exactly!" Okay I know, lousy comparison...but do you see what I'm getting at?

The first show was so amazing in every aspect; artwork, character development, music, voice acting...even the American dubs were good! Do you realize how rare that is??! (And no, I'm not just saying that because of Vic Mignogna. So don't even go there.)

Part of me is just as excited as the rest of you. (A new FMA, this time with manga goodness!! YES!!!) But the other part of me has a very pessimistic feeling and a lot of doubts. (A new FMA. This is crazy. There's no way they can top the first series.)

Will they raise or lower the quality bar in their FMA remake? I guess only time will tell... *DUN DUN DUUUUUNN...*

(And Pipsqueaked, I totally agree with you.) smile.gif

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Nov 29 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #33

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

the very fact that it didnt follow the manga to the letter is what made this anime so good, they ironed out the creases and left you with the best anime of all time imo.

The entire plot of the manga was a "crease"?
They didn't iron out anything, they just knew they were going to over take the anime and decided to make up their own plot. It was essentially well funded fanfiction.
I do have to commend your boldness though. Saying that the original work was to bad to be made into an anime is quite a thing to say.

I don't see how they'll be able to equal it, let alone surpass it.

Watch better shows. If you can't see any way for people to do better than the FMA anime then clearly you have seen very little in the way of TV shows, movies and basically any form of entertainment. Hell, read the manga. It's far better written than the anime it terms of plot and consistency.

It's like someone coming along and saying "Hey! Let's do a remake of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, since he cut out some characters and didn't follow the books exactly!" Okay I know, lousy comparison...but do you see what I'm getting at?

That's not what people are saying though. They didn't "cut out some characters" they cut out the whole plot of the manga.
It's not "they didn't follow it exactly" but that they didn't follow it at all.

Do you realize how rare that is?

Really not that rare. If you think it is then you clearly have no idea how much good anime is out there. It's solid, I'll give it that, but it's not all that rare.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Nov 29 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #34

Alchemists

The entire plot of the manga was a "crease"?
They didn't iron out anything, they just knew they were going to over take the anime and decided to make up their own plot. It was essentially well funded fanfiction.
I do have to commend your boldness though. Saying that the original work was to bad to be made into an anime is quite a thing to say.

I don't think that's what Pipsqueaked meant. He (or she) wasn't saying that the manga is horrible and needed an extreme makeover or anything; he was trying to say that they smoothed the manga's "wrinkles" out a bit. (And Pipsqueaked, sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth! Forgive me if I'm wrong; I'm just guessing here.) Every story, book or manga, has at least a few wrinkles; and FMA is no exception.

Really not that rare. If you think it is then you clearly have no idea how much good anime is out there. It's solid, I'll give it that, but it's not all that rare.

Watch better shows. If you can't see any way for people to do better than the FMA anime then clearly you have seen very little in the way of TV shows, movies and basically any form of entertainment. Hell, read the manga. It's far better written than the anime it terms of plot and consistency.

I meant as far as the anime genre goes. And with the exception of Ghost in a Shell and FMA, most of the animes I've seen have been either waaaaay too dark/creepy or plain cheesy/gawdawful; so forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical. If you could rattle off any other good-quality animes for me, I'd really appreciate it! (It'd save me the trouble of looking for them, hehe.) biggrin.gif

I actually started reading the manga a few weeks ago (I'm almost caught up) and you're right; once you get into it, it's amazing. A bit confusing and cluttered to read at first, as I've never read manga before (and excuse me for my lack of manga/anime experience), but still really good. However, there are places that drag a bit and lose my interest; places that are sort of...rough. Uneven. (Again, these are issues every story deals with, so please don't bite my head off for saying this.) tongue.gif One of the things I appreciated so much about the anime version was that there were almost no episodes like that. The pacing was smooth, the various strands of the story were deftly interwoven (even if it was just "well-funded fan fiction") and the intrigue never faded for me. I'd say the only place where it weakened a lot was towards the end of the series...but I think we can all agree on that. wink.gif

As someone who first watched the anime and THEN read the manga, I can honestly say now that I appreciate both of them equally...but in different ways. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and I personally think they rather compliment each other. The anime did a wonderful job of portraying the brotherly dynamics between Ed and Al, as well as giving depth and intrigue to some of the otherwise two-dimensional villians...whereas the manga has a more solid plot and does a good job of developing most of the good guys (and WINRY! I like her SO MUCH BETTER in the manga! And there lots of lovely EdWin hints scattered throughout, too! I love it! *snugs EdWin*) biggrin.gif

However, I can definitely sympathize with those of you who like the manga better. I do know what it's like to love a book for a long time, and then it gets made into a movie and you hardly recognize it anymore. sad.gif It's downright frustrating. So I can understand why all you manga fans are eager to see the new version. (And gah, I'm sounding like Sheska...)

Again, I just hope it'll be as amazing as my first FMA experience.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cece
post Dec 7 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #35

Apprentice

Member No.: 48,077

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Nov 29 2008, 09:33 PM) *
I meant as far as the anime genre goes. And with the exception of Ghost in a Shell and FMA, most of the animes I've seen have been either waaaaay too dark/creepy or plain cheesy/gawdawful; so forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical. If you could rattle off any other good-quality animes for me, I'd really appreciate it! (It'd save me the trouble of looking for them, hehe.) biggrin.gif

Yeah you're right it is hard to find a good series like Fullmetal Alchemist. I read Naruto and recently it got boring because my favorite character (Sakura) hasn't shown up for a while. She hasn't been active either and while women are strong they're not as strong as the men. Sorry I got off topic.

One of the things I appreciated so much about the anime version was that there were almost no episodes like that. The pacing was smooth, the various strands of the story were deftly interwoven (even if it was just "well-funded fan fiction") and the intrigue never faded for me. I'd say the only place where it weakened a lot was towards the end of the series...but I think we can all agree on that. wink.gif

The episode 4 and fillers episodes bothered because they were boring to me. The last few episodes in the anime bothered even more because Rose was turned into a Mary-Sue little victim and suddenly became important. plus Ed topping to dance with Rose before a huge battle? Are you serious? That kinda never made any sense to me and it's not really Ed-like to me at least.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kryanka
post Dec 8 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #36

Citizen

Member No.: 55,025

*joining the board and joining the "season-2-will-be-better" team*

Anime is what made me a fan of FMA, but now I've read manga I love it much more than anime. Anime was awesome, and will stay awesome and some will prefer it over season 2, but I can't see why we should be worried about it. The manga material is what makes it awesome, not fillers, and if you think about some of the fillers... they were weird (some were good, I admit).

Anyway, Anime!Wrath was cool, but Manga!Selim was not bad either. And in the creepy children department Al's wasted body prisoned in the gate owns everything. Imagine FMA without pityparty Rose and her weird plot point Rosemary baby. Or give me pure awesomeness Greedling instead of last-minute villain in reused body Dante anytime. I prefer Hohenheim as slave in long-lost Xerxes than Hohenheim-Dante's lover. Envy being Ed and Al's brother was eww. I like Roy with war-criminal past and fighting the whole headquarters with couple men over Roy-murderer of Winry's parents, with emo eyepatch. Alchemy's connection to our world was off too.

And most of all - the Elrics. In the anime Ed grew to become emo (great pair with Rose indeed) and almost femine in the movie. Manga!Ed grew talled, calmer, wiser and much more badass. As a huge Al fan I'd love to see his body in the gate, sad and creepy at the same time. And I hope they'd follow manga style of drawing Al, which is with golden eyes and hair, like Ed's.

[/end rant]

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Dec 8 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #37

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

I think that the first FMA anime series was amazing. It was one of the first anime series that I really got into, so it will always have a special place in my heart. Also because there was only like 3 volumes of the manga (I believe) that were out, the staff of the first series decided to write their own story instead of waiting for the manga to catch up. I personally think that this was a good idea. Or else we would have ended up with FMA fillers such as Ed and Al find the philosopher's stone but it was fake over and over again. It would get tiring.

Although I love the first anime. I am excited for this new series. After all the manga is Arakawa's original work and the original way that she intended the story to go.

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Dec 8 2008, 08:20 PM
Post #38

Alchemists

FMA was one of my first anime series too, so ditto to that. smile.gif

And good point. Very good point. After all, if the manga only had x many number of chapters out at the time, can we really blame the anime people for going the way they did? Considering the limited amount of material they had to work with, I think they did rather well.

And most of all - the Elrics. In the anime Ed grew to become emo (great pair with Rose indeed) and almost femine in the movie. Manga!Ed grew talled, calmer, wiser and much more badass. As a huge Al fan I'd love to see his body in the gate, sad and creepy at the same time. And I hope they'd follow manga style of drawing Al, which is with golden eyes and hair, like Ed's.

That's something I can definitely agree with, Kryanka. Manga!Ed gets awesomer as he grows older (and possibly taller, heehee). biggrin.gif I personally liked Al with gray eyes, though. "One is silver and the other gold..." wink.gif (Stupid reason, I know.) And gosh, that whole "holy mother" thing with Rose and the baby was so weird...I never completely understood it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Masked Man
post Dec 9 2008, 08:14 AM
Post #39

Citizen

Member No.: 64,957

If there's anything that might prevent me from loving this second season, it's that Lust and Sloth are nowhere near as compelling in the manga as they are in the anime. (In fact, the latter is wholly different.)

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Dec 13 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #40

Alchemists

Ditto to that. The villians had a lot more depth and intrigue to them in the anime. Though Father in the manga is pretty darn creepy, lol. (Dante was nowhere NEAR as deliciously evil as him.) biggrin.gif I'm sad they cut him out of the first series.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kryanka
post Dec 13 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #41

Citizen

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Dec 9 2008, 04:20 AM) *
That's something I can definitely agree with, Kryanka. Manga!Ed gets awesomer as he grows older (and possibly taller, heehee). biggrin.gif I personally liked Al with gray eyes, though. "One is silver and the other gold..." wink.gif (Stupid reason, I know.)

For me, it's kind of unfair that Ed has that awesome hair and eye color and Al's are grey-ish dirty green. Besides, I like to think that Xerxenians had golden hair and eyes like Ishvalans have red eyes and dark skin. It'd be awesome if Hoho, Ed and Al were carrying the gene biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Dec 13 2008, 07:12 PM) *
Ditto to that. The villians had a lot more depth and intrigue to them in the anime. Though Father in the manga is pretty darn creepy, lol. (Dante was nowhere NEAR as deliciously evil as him.) biggrin.gif I'm sad they cut him out of the first series.

Dante was curious, lol.

EDIT:
Anyone knows why it's written "curious" when I write "r a n d o m"?

+Quote Post
xXdark_angel_nek...
post Dec 13 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #42

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,808

well as for me all i have to say is that i hope that this new season that is coming soon will be as cool as the first one. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Sometimes...... some memories ain't meant to leave traces. ~Alphonse Elric

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Dec 13 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #43

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Word filter.
People say random far to much and much like "epic" and "awesome" it's lost all meaning.
Widen your vocabulary.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Dec 13 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #44

Alchemists

For me, it's kind of unfair that Ed has that awesome hair and eye color and Al's are grey-ish dirty green.

I wouldn't call his eyes a "grey-ish dirty green"...they were more of a calm, down-to-earth kind of grey like their mom's; gentle and kind, just like he is. biggrin.gif And they contrasted nicely against his brother's mysterious, intense, fiery ones. (But again, that's just me...and I've always loved grey eyes ANYWAY, so maybe I'm a bit biased.) innocent.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kryanka
post Dec 14 2008, 05:27 AM
Post #45

Citizen

QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Dec 13 2008, 08:59 PM) *

Word filter.
People say random far to much and much like "epic" and "awesome" it's lost all meaning.
Widen your vocabulary.

I do need more english classes. dry.gif Interesting way to educate forum members though, does it help?

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Dec 13 2008, 09:29 PM) *
For me, it's kind of unfair that Ed has that awesome hair and eye color and Al's are grey-ish dirty green.

I wouldn't call his eyes a "grey-ish dirty green"...they were more of a calm, down-to-earth kind of grey like their mom's; gentle and kind, just like he is. biggrin.gif And they contrasted nicely against his brother's mysterious, intense, fiery ones. (But again, that's just me...and I've always loved grey eyes ANYWAY, so maybe I'm a bit biased.) innocent.gif

That's how I interpreted it when I was watching the anime. And then I thought: wow, that's stereotypical. Now I'd love to see intense, fiery eyes on both brothers and enjoy them being so different only when you get to know them more (like, a second longer).
Plus, nothing on grey/green eyes, but golden are cooler, because the don't exist in reality. Also, they show that Ed and Al are Hoho's kids, and Al is talented alchemist too! (not to mention much better at martial arts)

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 01:38 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css