HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood, How each/both series measures up in your opinion? (Spoiler Warning!
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 287
Guests cannot vote 
S.F. Thunder
post Dec 30 2010, 07:38 AM
Post #241

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 71,177

I also agree with Dark-Winds. Especially about the couples... I was really disappointed by the lack of resolution in EdWin and Royai in the first anime, and even though the manga/Brotherhood didn't really have the spectacular ending for Royai that a lot of fans hoped for (and I personally didn't really expect anyway), the ending for EdWin, at least, was much, much better than the two never being able to see each other again. :/

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Jan 1 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #242

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,416

QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Dec 29 2010, 08:08 AM) *
However, there are many things that I like more about Brotherhood. The character designs are amazing. Some of the characters who I noticed a great change in were Ed, Winry, Riza and Kimblee. Their designs became more true to the manga. The new designs simply made them look better overall. I also prefer the overall plot of Brotherhood/the manga. I felt as though I could understand it more, while the first anime had a few plot holes and confusing aspects to it. I also felt that there was maybe a little too much angst in the first anime, and that the manga/Brotherhood could handle the emotions of the characters better.
And I'm a sucker for couples. So is just my personal opinon, but I felt as though there were a lot more Ed x Winry and Roy x Riza moments in Brotherhood.

Warning! Covered parts indicate series/end of series spoilers

With Anime 1, the character desings weren't even supposed to be a slave to the manga. It's probably just me but I have never liked Manga's style. Sure, sometimes it's pretty but some characters look pretty awful and I liked the Anime 1 version more. Somehow Anime 1 style made them feel more alive. BH style had me covering my eyes most of the time. They got better with time, I admit, but the overall look was very lazy.

Brotherhood also has confusing plot holes. I mean, I am not saying Anime 1's story was perfect but manga was no better. There were some pretty cheap plot twists in the end that made me want to slap my laptop. Also, I never understood the Al bonded to Ed theme... I can't recall which book it was but it was just after Ed had dug his "mother's" remains up and said "I know how to get Al's body back" and he tells Winry and Al his theory. This isn't about laziness: I just simply can't understand the theory he presented. I have tried to understand it and it has never opened to me.

Anime 1 is filled with angst, I admit but I felt it made the story more humane. While Manga focuses on moving forward, Anime 1 took a different aspect and it really worked. I bet most people can't just get up and begin normal lives after a tradegy and the slightly depressed, anxious Ed appealed to me more than the cocky little runt we see in the Manga. I do enjoy Manga Ed but I was never able to bond with him since he felt so distant to me. Anime Ed felt more like a real teenager; he was clueless and nothing ever seemed to work out for him.

Anime 1 doesn't have the dare-all characters of Manga since it is trying to portray the dark side of the world. Things don't always work out but you can succeed. Anime 1 is more a psychological journey. Manga is a bit cliched but Anime 1 takes a different route and I really respect that. It takes a lot of courage to build a new story on the same base and I think they managed exceptionally well.

Also, Sloth. I read from someone's post, was it Claudius?, that water is a lazy substance. You can't capture it. I don't understand why she was made Sloth. My guess is Dante wanted to name her Homunculi after Seven Sins and there was only one place left. Besides, let's not forget how Homunculi were born in the First Anime.
I guess Homunculi don't always have to represent their sins. All the others were managed quite well but there are some I don't understand. From Manga they are Pride and Wrath. How does Wrath describe his personality at all? I have read the manga and don't see any reason for the name. He is like the others; kills people but shouldn't they all be called Wrath then? In Anime 1, Wrath somehow lived up to his name.

I admit there was more romance in Manga but Anime 1 had more parental tones, which in turn please me happy.gif
A perfect example is Hughes. I'm pretty sure most of us agree that a big part of his popularity is thanks to the First Anime. His role was expanded and his relationship with the brother's makes me smile. The expanded time they knew each other also makes the shock over Hughes's death more reasonable. It actually makes me wonder how in Manga when they knew Hughes for like few months and Winry less than a week the impact Hughes's death has on them seems to be bigger in the manga. If I were Winry and knew someone like Hughes and stayed with him I would be sad when he dies and cry a little but her reaction seems to be overplayed. I know she has her reasons but still that part seemed to be too angsty, created only to make Ed eat her apple pie.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Jan 2 2011, 09:13 AM
Post #243

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,287

Thought I'd bring this over here...

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Jan 1 2011, 04:48 PM) *
I seriously don't understand the hate towards the Anime 1 being sob story. Don't take any offence but I think in an emotional level Fma 1 was more realistic. Sure, it was angsty as hell but in a good way. It was sort of a darker take on the world. I mean, you can't get everything. While Manga was all like "Let's not memorize the past!" Anime 1 was more realistic. The characters really felt the pain they went through.

-sigh-
The same way you can say the manga is all "Let's not memorize the past", I can say FMA-1 is all "Let's obsess over our past."
The same way you can talk about the theme(s) of FMA-1, I can say manga/BH is about "enduring/accepting the pain and moving on to find your own happiness" along with many sub-themes.

In my honest opinion, I think the manga/BH has themes quite realistic and applicable to the real world. You can use the theme I talked about in breaking up relationships, death, failure, etc. Also, its theme appears not only in FMA manga, but in other stories as well (eg, Harry Potter, The Odyssey, and other epic hero tales). I've grown up reading fairytales, so I don't know about you, but I prefer the characters that I've "connected" with to have happy endings. I want them to live peacefully and find their true happiness in the end; rather than having this knot in my stomach after watching FMA-1, the manga left me fully satisfied. Honestly, I could care less how unrealistic it was, the manga was a fictional story that I enjoyed from the beginning to the end. It's not even that unrealistic, those happy endings. They can and DO happen in real life, believe it or not.

FMA-1's emotional level was just too much, IMHO. Sure, it did have funny moments, but it's sad moments were stressed too much for my enjoyment. The manga's sad moments were enough and connected to the story as a whole. The characters there felt what they went through, too. o.O'

While everyone talks about FMA-1's "realistic" emotional moments, the manga delivered what I wanted the most in a good story: characterization, plot, humor, romance, action, emotion, and a satisfying ending. Reading/watching the end of FMA was like reading the end of Harry Potter or a classic hero story.

It's really a personal preference for me. I don't enjoy stories that are really dark or "angsty as hell". I want a good balance of everything, and that's what the manga had.

And those are the biggest reasons as to why I enjoyed the manga/BH more than FMA-1.

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

EdWin :: AlMei :: LingFan :: Royai

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Jan 2 2011, 09:41 AM
Post #244

Apprentice

QUOTE (rosieechan @ Jan 2 2011, 06:13 PM) *
In my honest opinion, I think the manga/BH has themes quite realistic and applicable to the real world. You can use the theme I talked about in breaking up relationships, death, failure, etc. Also, its theme appears not only in FMA manga, but in other stories as well (eg, Harry Potter, The Odyssey, and other epic hero tales). I've grown up reading fairytales, so I don't know about you, but I prefer the characters that I've "connected" with to have happy endings. I want them to live peacefully and find their true happiness in the end; rather than having this knot in my stomach after watching FMA-1, the manga left me fully satisfied. Honestly, I could care less how unrealistic it was, the manga was a fictional story that I enjoyed from the beginning to the end. It's not even that unrealistic, those happy endings. They can and DO happen in real life, believe it or not.

I do know happy endings ARE possible. At this part of my life, Anime 1 themes have been closest to my heart since I have lost a lot but I just had to adapt to the new situation. Therefore the constant drive for the tomorrow of Manga repulses me since I can't connect with the characters. No one of them represent me the slightest. I know Fma is a fictional story but still the anime somehow seemed to be in the same wavelenght with me.

I have nothing against happy endings in stories but I think thoroughly happy ending takes away a lot of the impact the actual story had. In the end of manga, everything was perfect (or atleast I can't remember anything was amiss, correct me if I am wrong) and perfect is good but IMHO, I think that wasn't a good ending. I think there should have been some downside, some character who lost/didn't gain something.
Considering this, I think I don't even need to know that as much as I love Harry Potter series, the ending disappointed me.

Anime ending made my heart ache but I think it was a good ending. Fma didn't start as a funny, light show and the ending really represented the themes. Although it doesn't satisfy everyone, the mission was complete and I personally liked the open ending, imaginative person as I am.

Yeah, this is all about personal preference. I liked the dark themes and psychology, you like the hero-story.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Jan 2 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #245

Apprentice

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Jan 2 2011, 11:41 AM) *
I think there should have been some downside, some character who lost/didn't gain something.
Considering this, I think I don't even need to know that as much as I love Harry Potter series, the ending disappointed me.

(Warning!! The covered parts under the Spoiler Covers in the following comments possibly contain FMA Series Final Spoiler content!!!)

There were downsides.
They've went through human transmutation, lost family members, Nina, and so on, the other characters have lost so much during the war...surely, they deserved a happy ending. Surely, they deserved to have a peaceful life. And both FMA and HP teach that. That through pain, there IS a way to achieve happiness.

There is a difference between the manga and the FMA-1 anime; the FMA-1 anime was open to any possible ending, but the manga made sure even from the beginning that there was going to be a good resolution (there were tons of foreshadowing to justify that).

Not saying they're not going to have troubles in the future...the future is still open even if it did show family pictures.

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Jan 2 2011, 02:15 PM
Post #246

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

Sloth also means refusing responsibilities. Dante named the Trisha-Homunculus Sloth so she would abandon her human responsibilities as the wife of Hohenheim (which Dante probably took major delight in) and the mother of her children.
Interestingly, this also symbolizes Edward in connection to her. He didn't follow his Alchemist responsibilities (he did human transmutation) and abandoned his creation to the point that he repressed all memory of its existence (hence his no mention of it during his Gate flashback to Izumi and why he freezes up in shock when he learns the truth in Liore). Then he takes responsibility and kills her (which also means he has forsook the responsibilities of a son).

I also saw the foreshadowing of a happy ending in the Manga/Bro...

One thing noticed is the shift of responsibility in the cause of all evil. Anime1 is very anti-human. Think about it:
-The 1st PS was created by two humans who experimented on human beings (some of whom- the condemned witches- that the practical creators probably believed were very innocent). Unlike the duped U-know-who in the Manga/Bro, the anime1 PS creators knew the cost and still did it!
-The Homunculus were created by humans unable to cope with their grief, and who subsequently abandoned their creations with severe consequences.
-The Ishbal war was started by human assassins (who became chimeras).
-The Amestris military served Bradley in committing these nasty wars out of the realistic motive of nationalism and imperialism (like Hitler, like Cheney...), NOT because of some reward in achieving immortality.
-The real world had no Homunculus, and look at what happened there...
Arakawa kinda lets humanity off the hook by making the Homunculus the source of all the trouble. Hence, get rid of them= happily ever after. Anime1 paints the Homunculus as just a symptom. Getting rid of them solves nothing because the disease- mankind- still exists to cause more trouble.

Not so successful an approach was how in the 2nd half (after the Ishval flashback) Arakawa kept throwing these OMG shocks and then quickly or completely resolved them. Bradley using Riza and Winry as hostages to keep Roy and the brothers on a leash was a gripping piece of storytelling. So how does Arakawa resolve this situation? She forgets this storyline. Bradley- who was the most cautious to the humans' strengths- puts Winry in close proximity to the brothers, whom Bradley would have known would tried anything to rescue (which is what happened). Couldn't keeping her in Central done a much better job in pulling the leash? Scar could have rescued her in the final chapters! Winry goes back to Resembool with no further threat to her safety. And then Bradley doesn't bring Riza along on that Eastern-Northern army mobilization exercise so close to the Day of Promise. blink.gif I actually expected Bradley would have maybe recaptured Winry and took her with him in his speedy return to Central, but no that didn't happen.
And there was more. Riza gets her throat slashed (OMG!), and then gets healed next chapter with no big loss. Father opens the Gate (OMG!), and that end-of-the-world soul-swallowing phenomenon is quickly reversed! One would have expected such a long-awaited event should have been longer (perhaps have Scar's manipulation keep it temporarily frozen during the final battle, with Father's defeat the only way to end it). Sailor Moon had a similar situation many times, and those lasted much longer!
In ensuring a happy ending, Arakawa kept pulling the punches with these shocks, rendering them impotent by constantly resolving them without any big change. In Anime1, the big shocks in the second half were hard and decisive to the plotline. Ed, Al, and Roy's situations in Conqueror of Shambala are based on those shocking moments (Scar's Lior transmutation, the deaths of Edward and Selim). Compared to that, it got rather ridiculous how everything kept going (or eventually went) well for the heroes. I got the impression of Edward and Roy possessing a bag of Get-out-of-jail-free cards that they would constantly take out to resolve the situation. By the time Roy went blind, I was 'Like that's gonna last...' Big surprise. dry.gif

Perhaps I'm being a little unfair. If Anime1 never existed, I probably would not have cared. But the darker resolutions in Anime1 just made the resolutions in Manga/Bro seem 'Yeah, right, whatever!' to me.

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Jan 4 2011, 11:18 AM
Post #247

Apprentice

QUOTE (Claudius @ Jan 2 2011, 11:15 PM) *
And there was more. Riza gets her throat slashed (OMG!), and then gets healed next chapter with no big loss. Father opens the Gate (OMG!), and that end-of-the-world soul-swallowing phenomenon is quickly reversed! One would have expected such a long-awaited event should have been longer (perhaps have Scar's manipulation keep it temporarily frozen during the final battle, with Father's defeat the only way to end it). Sailor Moon had a similar situation many times, and those lasted much longer!
In ensuring a happy ending, Arakawa kept pulling the punches with these shocks, rendering them impotent by constantly resolving them without any big change. In Anime1, the big shocks in the second half were hard and decisive to the plotline. Ed, Al, and Roy's situations in Conqueror of Shambala are based on those shocking moments (Scar's Lior transmutation, the deaths of Edward and Selim). Compared to that, it got rather ridiculous how everything kept going (or eventually went) well for the heroes. I got the impression of Edward and Roy possessing a bag of Get-out-of-jail-free cards that they would constantly take out to resolve the situation. By the time Roy went blind, I was 'Like that's gonna last...' Big surprise. dry.gif

Thanks, Claudius, for another amazing post smile.gif I thought it was the ending that bothered me but now I realize it was all about this phenomenon.
Arakawa kept throwing in different story lines for different situations and they were enjoyable but the ultimate effect never came. I was expecting some twist make the story darker but it never came. I think it is okay to have happy endings but when everything the characters do goes alright, it makes the story bland yet enjoyable.

I was expecting something big and dramatic to happen but the pace was always the same. Everyone was okay, nothing was damaged, they lost nothing, you could count on the characters to make it out okay. It made me feel something important was missing. In Anime 1, every line, every scene had me engaged, I couldn't lose a word. While reading manga, I didn't have the same feeling. I was excited at times the most when Scar fought Bradley but all in all I felt somewhat cheated as nothing happened.

I was also expecting the taking away all the souls of Amestrians- twist to last for at least a couple of chapters. It could have become a great finale but it took less than a chapter for everything to go back to normal. If Arakawa was able to create such a great story line why wouldn't see let her fans enjoy it? I must say this was the moment I lost all hope for any excitement.

I think there should have been some darker theme in the manga. In Anime, the past haunts the brother's and the miserability we see just emphases the image that humanking is selfish and cruel, a commonly known fact. I also think the Homunculi in anime were a genius invention, making the theme even deeper.. Anime goes deep into psyche and makes you think of who you think you are and what your actions cause others to go through.

I am not saying manga should have been as depressing and dark as Anime but I think a dark twist could have made it better. It could still be a hero-story even if some characters didn't gain what they wanted. If everything results in happy ending, with no lasting effects the story becomes easy to forget, at least to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Jan 4 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #248

Apprentice

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Jan 4 2011, 01:18 PM) *
I am not saying manga should have been as depressing and dark as Anime but I think a dark twist could have made it better. It could still be a hero-story even if some characters didn't gain what they wanted. If everything results in happy ending, with no lasting effects the story becomes easy to forget, at least to me.

Everyone was okay, nothing was damaged, they lost nothing

But it did have a lasting effect. Even after the war was over, the Elrics STILL remembered Nina, and I'm pretty sure they still remember the pain they had to go through to achieve their goals. I don't get what you're saying in that they lost nothing...? They lost a lot...just because Arakawa put happy pictures in the end doesn't mean they forgot everything that they went through.

And the second quote?
-Ishvalans
-Winry's parents
-Ed and Al's mom
-Ed's limbs and Al's body
-Nina and Alexander
-Hughes
-Havoc's legs
-LanFan's arm
-Ed's alchemy abilities, anyone?
Happiness cannot be gained without sacrifice, but it doesn't mean they haven't gone through pain to reach it.

An unhappy end to the manga would not make any sense...as I already mentioned, there was a LOT of foreshadowing going on that everybody would find their happiness, such as Ed's and Al's promises to each other, Ed's promise to Winry (after that part, I was almost fully convinced that everything was going to end well), Roy's dream to be Fuhrer, Ling's goal to be emperor, to end complications with Hohenheim, and so on.

Even without the dark twist, the ending still made a LOT of sense and gave satisfaction, and I liked it for that. It made the story complete.

And even if the manga isn't as dark as the anime to some extent, it was still a good story and worthwhile to finish it. I had watched Brotherhood before even reading the manga (so I didn't make comparisons or anything like that), and I had loved every moment of it. It kept me wanting for more, to unravel the twists of the plot, to find out who the Homunculi were, to see if Ed grew any taller (lol). The ending was a relief for me--bitter endings are popular, and it was nice to watch a happy ending for a change.

But I do agree on this bit:
I was also expecting the taking away all the souls of Amestrians- twist to last for at least a couple of chapters.
I was also expecting that, too. That was one of the few things I disliked about the ending.

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jan 4 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #249

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

Long time no post but I can't avoid a first series VS Manga/Brotherhood post

Brotherhood (although really the manga) because it didn't have to rely on angst to tell a good story. I love the major theme of the manga that you don't have to just rely on your own strength but you can rely on your friends and loved ones. The togetherness of the characters was their strength and why they won in the end. I have seen many series try to use this theme but I feel no other series I have ever seen has used it so effectively and so convincingly and really tying it into the entire story. Ed giving up his alchemy saying he could rely on his friends instead wove the final step of this theme beautifully into the story.

The first anime's theme of not getting everything you want was interesting thematically too but in the end it left me cold. And I also realized in the end I don't care about any of the first anime characters. I also hated how Ed and Al just left Winry with barely a second thought. She was way too unimportant in the grand scheme of things

Finally about the ending of the manga/Brotherhood yes they got mostly everything they wanted but they went through a great deal to get it. If the first anime's message was you can't get everything you want, the manga/Brotherhood's message is in some ways the polar opposite. You might have to suffer (and the characters did suffer before their happy ending) but if you work hard you can get that happy ending.

This was always the theme of the manga as it says literally on the first page: "Teachings that have no pain have no meaning because mankind cannot gain anything without giving something in return."

And what I loved about the story is thematically Arakawa always really tied this message in.

Of course both series said equivalent exchange is not true. But again the two series differ in how they say equivalent exchange is not true

The first series says Sometimes you can gain something when you give nothing. Other times you can give something and gain nothing. This is actually true.

But with Arakawa's message of equivalent exchange it is not necessarily a fact of life but a way to live life

Give something and gain something. Work hard and gain something. In the end though Ed and Al expand on this and say instead of giving one to one. Lets give two for one. They can decide to give more for what they get Again it is this whole positive and hopeful outlook that sets the manga apart for me.

There is nothing wrong with a dark story (and I love plenty of stories with dark endings) but there is nothing special or unique about a dark story either.

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post Jan 5 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #250

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

I haven't posted here in a while happy.gif

This is a hard one. I have to go with Brotherhood because I have always loved the manga more than FMA 1.

FMA 1 was great, don't get me wrong. It will always have a place on my list of favorite animes, but I loved the characters in the manga more. Ling, Olivier, Ran Fan, Dr. Knox, etc. I also liked the storyline a LOT more than FMA 1. I was not a big fan of the Dante stuff from the moment I saw it.

I know that Brotherhood has it's faults, every anime does, really. But the only complaints I had was when something from the manga didn't make the show.

I personally felt the characters had more depth, the plot and stories worked together better and were more realistic for the FMA world.

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
Dark-Winds
post Jan 8 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #251

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,903

QUOTE (rosieechan @ Jan 4 2011, 05:26 PM) *
Happiness cannot be gained without sacrifice, but it doesn't mean they haven't gone through pain to reach it.

I REALLY like this point. Excellent, EXCELLENT point by you!

I know that the first anime had a dark ending. And I know that a lot of people say stuff like "I didn't like the ending to the manga/BH because it wasn't dark and nobody lost anything or went through any kind of pain like they did int he first anime!"

But in the manga/BH, they went through PLENTY of suffering. So much that they all did, in fact, deserve a happy ending. It kind of goes to show, that even when bad things happen in life it can't stay bad forever, and that no matter what there is a light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how dark and endless it seems. Arakawa is trying to give people hope and look towards and work towards tomorrow. And even when the road gets rough, don't give up.

So I think that's a great point by you, rosieechan! I'm tired of people saying I liked the first anime better because it was darker and had a sad ending.

--------------------

Roy x Riza - Edward x Winry - Ling x Lan Fan - Alphonse x Mei - Havoc x Rebecca

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post Jan 9 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #252

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 9 2011, 01:45 AM) *

I know that the first anime had a dark ending. And I know that a lot of people say stuff like "I didn't like the ending to the manga/BH because it wasn't dark and nobody lost anything or went through any kind of pain like they did int he first anime!"

But in the manga/BH, they went through PLENTY of suffering. So much that they all did, in fact, deserve a happy ending. It kind of goes to show, that even when bad things happen in life it can't stay bad forever, and that no matter what there is a light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how dark and endless it seems. Arakawa is trying to give people hope and look towards and work towards tomorrow. And even when the road gets rough, don't give up.

So I think that's a great point by you, rosieechan! I'm tired of people saying I liked the first anime better because it was darker and had a sad ending.

I agree with you too!

I REALLY liked that there was a happy ending biggrin.gif. I don't see why everything HAS to be sad. Now granted, the one thing I wasn't a big fan of was what happened with Roy. I wish he'd had stayed blind, and then it showed him having to work around that.

But, overall, I really enjoyed it. The first anime has the sad ending if you want that, and the second anime/manga has the happier ending, that clearly Arakawa had planned for a long time.

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Jan 9 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #253

Apprentice

QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 9 2011, 01:45 AM) *

Thank you! happy.gif I agree with you as well. FMA-1 left be saddened, but like you said, BH/manga gave me a positive outlook towards the future. <---OT: I remembered spoiler tags! 8D

It kind of goes back to what Kirara was saying:

Finally about the ending of the manga/Brotherhood yes they got mostly everything they wanted but they went through a great deal to get it. If the first anime's message was you can't get everything you want, the manga/Brotherhood's message is in some ways the polar opposite. You might have to suffer (and the characters did suffer before their happy ending) but if you work hard you can get that happy ending.

This was always the theme of the manga as it says literally on the first page: "Teachings that have no pain have no meaning because mankind cannot gain anything without giving something in return."

And what I loved about the story is thematically Arakawa always really tied this message in.

But with Arakawa's message of equivalent exchange it is not necessarily a fact of life but a way to live life

Give something and gain something. Work hard and gain something. In the end though Ed and Al expand on this and say instead of giving one to one. Lets give two for one. They can decide to give more for what they get Again it is this whole positive and hopeful outlook that sets the manga apart for me.

There is nothing wrong with a dark story (and I love plenty of stories with dark endings) but there is nothing special or unique about a dark story either.

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Jan 14 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #254

Apprentice

rosieechan: Apparentally I am not able to express my point in words (for some odd reason) so I am not even trying anymore. This is no offence to you. It is only about my limited knowledge and talent to state my mind in English.

QUOTE (Kirara @ Jan 5 2011, 12:26 AM) *
Brotherhood (although really the manga) because it didn't have to rely on angst to tell a good story. I love the major theme of the manga that you don't have to just rely on your own strength but you can rely on your friends and loved ones. The togetherness of the characters was their strength and why they won in the end. I have seen many series try to use this theme but I feel no other series I have ever seen has used it so effectively and so convincingly and really tying it into the entire story. Ed giving up his alchemy saying he could rely on his friends instead wove the final step of this theme beautifully into the story.

I am many of those who watched Anime 1 before reading manga. Now, I had HUGE hope for Manga and it was entertaining at first. I'm really not into anime/manga in general, more now than I was back then. I got engaged in the complex story Arakawa made and thought of her as a sort of genius.

The story continued and by the end, the worth of manga in my own scale has dropped considerably.

I love FMA in general. I love the world and the characters (I am not particularly fond of some manga characters but taken my background, it's understandable). At the beginning, I loved the cliche free atmosphere of the manga. The worst kind of cliche I can think of is the idealisation of friendship as the "ultimate power".

I think friendship is one of the most important things in the world and it's the friendships between character that keep me entertained, not the romance, but I think Manga took it a bit overboard in the end. In most stories, it's a group of people that overpower the enemy and so it was in FMA. have been touched.
Using friendship as a story element is popular but risque. The fans need to connect with the characters to react the way the author wants them to. Also, the line between normal, acceptable and touching "friendship moment" and ridiculous, out of context "friendship moment" is very vague. I know most people were able to connect with the manga characters and felt their pain etc. so this basically about my personal feelings.

The first overboard moment for me was with Greed. Everyone probably remember the moment when he realises his deepest desire. It was to have friends like Edward and the gang.
Now, I partly understand this. Greed was, well, greedy, and so he wanted to have everything: girls, money, power, minions so why wouldn't he also want friends. The issue whether those friends would be in the same level is up to debate. Yet, I find it hard to believe friends would be his ultimate, deepest desire. Of course, since Father wanted a family he could have given Greed some of his desires as well (crazy theory). And homunculi were artificial humans with feelings.
So, I accept this change of character as it might be realistic, but it really made me die a little inside. I had always thought of Greed as an independent individual, not one to gang up.

The other was when Ed was fighting the Father with fists and everyone yells out his name. It was all to create the atmosphere of companionship but it made me feel like I was watching Sailor Moon.

The worst was when Ed was at the gate and he says he doesn't need alchemy since he has his friends.

I know all of those are supposed to be touching moments and I shouldn't criticize them but I am sure some people felt the same way I did. I wouldn't say Manga did actually great with these moments. Somehow all of these moments felt out of context, forced or smushy.
Friendship is a difficult subject and it takes a lot of talent to make it feel natural. I can't honestly say either version of FMA, not the anime 1 or manga, did perfectly well in that section. Maybe these moments would have fit in better had FMA been a not-so-tough story until the emotions started to wake. For example, Sailor Moon went VERY overboard with its theme of love and forgiveness but the story felt coherent because friendship was very apparent in everything they did.

I also hated how Ed and Al just left Winry with barely a second thought. She was way too unimportant in the grand scheme of things

Well, Winry was never the center of attention in Anime 1. The focus was on the brothers and everyone else was, sadly, forgotten. Elrics goal had also been in the Anime to be together. his Since Edward decided to sacrifice himself and close the gate and thus enable his world to live in peace, Al had only a moment. He had to decide pretty much in a few seconds whether to stay or follow brother who he had searched for two years. Yeah, blood is thicker than water.

Also, since there seems to be a vivid discussion about the "hope of manga" vs "darkness of anime" I decided to state my point.
I personally love the realistic tone of the world in Anime 1. To me, Manga has always seemed to be a candy land when compared to it. Of course, there was pain and suffering in manga but anime was of harshness of the world. You don't always get what you want. Everything in life is uncertain. Death is the only certain thing here. Anime 1 seems to give a message life is gambling.
While Manga ended in good spirits, with pictures of perfect families smiling, everyone happy and Havoc regaining the use of his legs (the part I loved the most), Anime 1 ended in the atmosphere of threat and oncoming hardships (CoS). To me, the message of manga has always seemed to be "beat the devil and live happily ever after". One can't possibly expect constant happiness under any circumstances. Nothing in life is certain.

Anime 1 has always seemed to be more realistic. After hardships there come more hardships. You must always be slightly alarmed. Of course, there are happy times in between but since you are not the only person in the world, you may well expect to fall prey someday. Also, the theme of adjusting to new situation, "making the new world your own" has always moved me and given me hope since I am undergoing big changes in my life in coming years.

Somehow, it seems to me, manga has idealised the world. Of course, we're talking about fiction and fiction can rarely be perfectly adopted to real world. Manga has followed the rules of fiction more than anime 1 ever did, but anime 1 followed the rules of the real world.

Sorry for the long post, I couldn't get here for a week. I don't know why, maybe I was banned.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Jan 14 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #255

Apprentice

I also hated how Ed and Al just left Winry with barely a second thought. She was way too unimportant in the grand scheme of things

Well, Winry was never the center of attention in Anime 1. The focus was on the brothers and everyone else was, sadly, forgotten. Elrics goal had also been in the Anime to be together. his Since Edward decided to sacrifice himself and close the gate and thus enable his world to live in peace, Al had only a moment. He had to decide pretty much in a few seconds whether to stay or follow brother who he had searched for two years. Yeah, blood is thicker than water.

--------------------

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 11:50 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css