HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood, How each/both series measures up in your opinion? (Spoiler Warning!
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 287
Guests cannot vote 
Dearheart
post Nov 2 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #211

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 64,903

You are definitely not alone in feeling that way, Luminarium. To be honest, when I saw the first episode of Brotherhood, I felt completely cheated. It was like a bunch of actiony fanservice on a stick. Where was the depth? The intrigue? The heart of the story? To this day, I still can't get past how much I hated the beginning. The first 13 or so episodes were painfully rushed and glossed over, and felt so cheap and shallow compared to the emotional richness of FMA.

After watching Brotherhood all the way through, I've decided that I have a love/hate relationship with both anime versions. In the first one, I LOVE the beginning and hate the ending. In Brotherhood, I hate the beginning and love the ending. If there was just some way we could stick the two halves together, we'd get the perfect adaptation. xD

FMA's strength lies in its directing, emotional impact, character depth and WONDERFUL soundtrack. It did a superb job of adapting and fleshing out what little manga material it had to work with, and what it lacks in plot it makes up for in thought and tastefulness. I personally think they were very creative in how they interpreted the Gate and homunculi. This series touches your heart, makes you laugh and cry and feel for the characters so vividly, and it delves into themes and philosophies that make you think a little a little deeper about your own life. It's also very good at creating the right moods at the right times and smoothly transitioning from drama and action to humor. Nothing feels jarring or out of place. You won't find yourself in the middle of a dramatic scene only to be yanked out of it by some random slapstick moment.

Brotherhood's strengths are its artwork, its stronger, grander plot and its character development. The plot has tons of wonderful twists and turns, and none of the characters are static. You really get to see how Ed, Al, Winry, Roy and all the other protagonists grow and learn and change over the course of the story. You also gain a lot of appreciation for the world they live in and get a sense of how big and vast it is. It's almost Lord of the Rings-ish, in some ways; there's so many wonderful characters and threads of plot, weaving together to create this rich tapestry of a story. And while they totally butchered the beginning of it, the ending is beautiful, heartfelt, and completely satisfying. (I cried so many happy tears...my mom looked at me funny after I got off the computer, lol...)

So, long story short...yes, the beginning is VERY off and not nearly as good as the first anime, but it gets a lot better later on. (EPISODE 19 OMG.) The ending is heaps better and totally worth it, I promise. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Nov 2 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #212

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,416

What mostly bewilders me is that nearly everyone think that Brotherhood's art style is better than that of the first show. Okay, I admit that animation may be slightly better but art style... c'mon.

In 2003 series, the characters are realistic, colors are calm and pleasant to the eye. The buildings and decorations have so many delicate features it's difficult to understand. What's more, the characters clearly mature but maintain their looks from scene to scene. Every character, even the minor ones, are drawn beautifully and look like humans. It looks more like an actual television series than an anime.

In BH, characters do change in appearance but their looks are awful. The most well drawn are those that are at the center of certain scene but the minor ones look alien. I know the art style is supposed to be different but is that an excuse for making some characters look like disformed apes? I think not. The worst has to be Hughes. In anime1 and in the freaking manga, he is pictured as a handsome man, but in BH they might have thought he wasn't as important a character to have a proper appearance. I couldn't even look at the screne when it featured him because my mental image of Hughes would have been destroyed and I think it already has.
Some buildings are nice and scenery okay but the colors annoy me. By the way I see manga, they aren't supposed to be bright and cheerful but somehow solemn. BH turns into a merry-go-round.

Of course, art style is opinion based but how can anyone call BH's art style progress in the positive sense of the terme? In my opinion, it was a huge leap backward.

Also, might I add, I really am not a fan for adaptations. I can barely stand Hary Potter movies. What I hate about adaptations is the slavery that blocks the imagination of the writers. I can proudly say I like the first episode of the BH because it was something I had never seen. Of course, the short jokes were stupid, constant jokes were slammed to our faces but overall, it was nice to watch it since I got to see something new. If I've already read the original story and know what is going to happen, there really isn't much for audience. It can just watch the screen in daze, not even understanding the deeper morals and message the episode has to offer. Many have complained about the first episode that to some extent was a filler but I enjoyed it more than all other episodes of Brotherhood. This is of course completely opinion based. I anknowledge myself as a person who is curious about new stuff and doesn't need the stories she already knows to be repeated.

Fma has many great characters that were never given enough screen time like Hughes and Havoc (once they left, my interest for manga and both animes dropped considerably). The possible fillers are a great way to give them the attention they need. FMA1 balanced extra-ordinarily well between the actual plot and the filler material. I do hate the latter word since I can't consider anything to be unrelevant to the plot if it includes the main characters and keeps the story going. Ep 4 of the first anime is one of the most hated ones but it is one of my favourites. Maybe the characters got no where but every episode, even the filler one, always has a moral, something that the heroes need to learn and understand in order to achieve their goal.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pyroclasm
post Nov 3 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #213

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 74,542

@Luminarium: I feel your pain, my Australian brethren! Getting decent anime down here can be a pain. The best places to find anime/manga though, I've found, are usually stores that sell video games. Stores devoted entirely to video games will often stock manga and/or anime, and more of it than you would find at stores like K-mart or Target. You can also find manga occasionally in some bookstores, though their stock is usually fairly limited, but they WILL order it in for you if you ask them. (I've managed to get ahold of a few volumes of the manga that way.)

As for FMA Brotherhood, as people have said, it feels kind of rushed in the beginning, but it finds a good pace when it reaches the point where the first FMA anime deviated from the manga plot. (Which is about the time the number of episodes start hitting double figures. By the time it reaches episode 15, you'll probably be very confused!) Any scenes you think are missing from Brotherhood are actually ones that were added to the first anime, and weren't in the manga, so that's the reason they weren't included.

Also, since you're watching the dubbed version, you should know that the dubbed episodes have been put on hiatus for now, and I don't think it's been decided when they'll be coming back. But there are 26 dubbed episodes of Brotherhood so far for you to enjoy!

ON TOPIC: To me, it's as simple as the story. I watched the first anime, and I thought it was okay, but nothing really special. When I discovered Brotherhood and the manga, and how they were different, I started reading the manga, and it just sucked me in. I loved it, I found it interesting, and I enjoyed reading it immensely. While I do admit that Brotherhood has its faults - rushed beginning, occasionly wonky art, etc - I still prefer it much more than the first anime because I prefer the manga's storyline. Having the manga story animated in Brotherhood means I can both read it and watch it, which makes me a happy, happy girl.

--------------------

"I cannot tell you more... It is up to you to find the answer. Will we use Alchemy to wage war, to raise armies?
Or will we use it to grow wise, to rise above our petty feuds and perform great deeds?" - Kraden

LiveJournal | | Formspring

+Quote Post
Luminarium
post Nov 3 2010, 05:07 AM
Post #214

Citizen

Member No.: 75,778

QUOTE (Pyroclasm @ Nov 3 2010, 12:21 AM) *
Also, since you're watching the dubbed version, you should know that the dubbed episodes have been put on hiatus for now, and I don't think it's been decided when they'll be coming back. But there are 26 dubbed episodes of Brotherhood so far for you to enjoy!

Sorry to go off topic, but, really? I thought the next dvd "set" was due to arrive in December, just before Xmas.. That's what I was told at our local dvd reseller who said they could pre-order it for me..

Oh darn, maybe I'll have to start watching the japanese ones once I hit episode 26.. I can't wait too long!! laugh.gif

--------------------

Proud Founder of The Alchemists Supergroup - FMA Semi-RP Supergroup

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Nov 3 2010, 08:55 AM
Post #215

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

QUOTE (Luminarium @ Nov 3 2010, 08:07 AM) *
QUOTE (Pyroclasm @ Nov 3 2010, 12:21 AM) *

Sorry to go off topic, but, really? I thought the next dvd "set" was due to arrive in December, just before Xmas.. That's what I was told at our local dvd reseller who said they could pre-order it for me..

The TV airings in the US have gone on hiatus, but the dubs on DVD are continuing without any hiatus.

As for the rest of the thread- while I think it was a little rushed in the beginning, I think it's still worth watching and in fact, I kind of prefer that they got to the point a bit more quickly than in the first series. Give it to at least you reach new material to make a fair judgment on the series.

+Quote Post
goodbye
post Nov 6 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #216

Citizen

Member No.: 75,109

When I started watching Brotherhood, I had only seen some random scenes and episodes of Anime-1 and I didnīt really know the plotline or characterization of it. Most of my friends were claiming Brotherhood to be better than Anime-1 in every way, so I went along with them and started disliking 1st season. However, last week I suddenly decided to watch the first season thoroughly, and I just finished it a few hours ago. Well, my opinion about the two series changed a lot :-----D

I think the major reason to why Anime-1 is a whole lot better than FMA:B is that the first one has so much more emotion to it. There are all kinds of emotion during the series; sorrow, joy, guilt, huge ANGST, pain, relief.. I really felt the series as I watched it, I could symphatize with the charactes like Iīd be living the course of events by myself. That made watching the show more like an experience than just regularly checking some tv-show. I never felt so strongly when watching Brotherhood. Even the Nina Tucker incident, which in the first anime was a real tear-jerker, really didnīt touch me in 2st series, although Iīm a pretty emotional person. Brotherhood is a bit flat, it lacks atmosphere and often feels like just running from one plot device to another. And because itīs so obviously plot-centric, you hardly get a chance to actually get devoted to the characters, because they donīt give them enough time to characterization. Itīs such a waste, so impressive characters and background stories being reduced to shadows of (manga) themselves.. guh.

Also, the art style! It might be true that the animation in Brotherhood is way better, but the art style.. In the Anime-1, characters look so realistical and even pretty. In Brotherhood, I sometimes had to actually turn away from the screen because the weird anatomy, caricature expressions or general fails in characters' looks were so awful. Their eyes were in wrong places and.. uggh. Also, in the first series, the background art was so pretty that sometimes I found myself just staring at some screen because it was so beautiful. That never happened in Brotherhood, the backgrounds were always too simple and cartoonish.

So, I donīt hate Brotherhood. I guess its art is, after all, way better than in most of shounen anime, and of course the storyline is brilliant. Itīs true that the plotline of first anime really doesnīt make sense at times (like the Philosopherīs Stone madness - the motives to wanting people to create it/not wanting that/wanting them to create it and die so that no more people would seek that/still wanting them to seek and create it - really, wtf?). I just think Brotherhood would have been an absolute masterpiece if it had the first series' art and enchanting atmosphere. But it hadnīt, so for now I prefer the 1st series.

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Nov 8 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #217

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,287

I think the major reason to why Anime-1 is a whole lot better than FMA:B is that the first one has so much more emotion to it. There are all kinds of emotion during the series; sorrow, joy, guilt, huge ANGST, pain, relief.. I really felt the series as I watched it, I could symphatize with the charactes like Iīd be living the course of events by myself.

That's true...but sometimes, I felt that the sad scenes was a bit overdone. Take Hughes' death for example. In the first anime, there was a lot of sad tunes to emphasize his death, but in Brotherhood, the lack of sad music and the reality of his death hits you and it ends up being even more emotional. Of course, I completely agree that Brotherhood had done things a little too quickly for liking.

OH! I almost forgot. Even though it DID move quickly in the beginning, some parts are *truly* emotional in BH, way more than FMA-1. For example, the part where Ed finds Al's body in the gate.

Ed:ALPHONSE! [Pushes down door of truth]
Al: *gasp*
Ed: I PROMISE YOU, JUST YOU WAIT!
Al: [smiles]
Ed: WAIT FOR ME! [door of truth shuts]
Al: [closes eyes and smiles]

omg, that scene had made me BURST into tears. There are even more scenes like that between them...
And also the scene where Winry cries and Ed holds her. Extremely emotional moment for both of them, not to mention a huge amount of character development for Winry.

n the Anime-1, characters look so realistical and even pretty.

I agree! I loved the art style in FMA-1.

In Brotherhood, I sometimes had to actually turn away from the screen because the weird anatomy, caricature expressions or general fails in characters' looks were so awful. Their eyes were in wrong places and.. uggh. Also, in the first series, the background art was so pretty that sometimes I found myself just staring at some screen because it was so beautiful. That never happened in Brotherhood, the backgrounds were always too simple and cartoonish.

This, I half agree with. I do agree with the eyes in the wrong places...it bothered me sometimes. But eventually, that improved. Although the art style in Brotherhood was much more simple, I found it to be cute. And sometimes simple can be pretty as well. Take Winry for example:

vs

I dunno, there might not be a huge difference, but I always thought she looked way more adorable in Brotherhood. ^^;

But what I like most about Brotherhood's art style is how similar it is to the manga. It's simpleness is quite close to Arakawa-sensei's style of simplicity. Especially human!Al's looks. He looks almost exactly like how he was in the manga, it's like watching him come alive.

I just think Brotherhood would have been an absolute masterpiece if it had the first series' art and enchanting atmosphere.

Yes, it would have. happy.gif

But it has a wonderful story, which is the ultimate part of characteristics of a good anime...

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

EdWin :: AlMei :: LingFan :: Royai

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Nov 9 2010, 07:42 AM
Post #218

Apprentice

As far as the way some of the characters look is concerned, I always Brotherhood Scar over 2003 Scar. The first anime Scar looked too young and not hardened enough. Brotherhood Scar was more haggard and older looking; you really see the weight of what he had been through on his face.

Brotherhood:

2003:

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Nov 9 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #219

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,287

^ That as well.

Some may have felt that Brotherhood coloring/art style was too simple or cartoonish, but there's a good example contradictory to that right there.

I think that though FMA-1 has more use of shading, Brotherhood has more use of lines and has certianly improved on animation style. Well, that's just IMO, of course. smile.gif

I don't know, maybe I just like high quality better lol.

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

EdWin :: AlMei :: LingFan :: Royai

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Nov 11 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #220

Apprentice

I really have to disagree with you guys. I have always, even before Brotherhood thought that anime Scar is the real Scar. When Brotherhood came along, the conclusion was even more clear.

Anime Scar is a character; he has feelings and his personality changes. You come to care for him and his faith and past make you burst into tears. In manga and Bh, Scar is just a minor side-character. He is a killer, nothing else. Despite the fact that he tags along and helps to save Amestris, he stays the same. His new life after the manga anyway doesn't really make sense but since manga and Anime 1 had to be opposites I assume it was only necessary not to kill him this time...

In anime, Scar is animated and portrayed very well. He has expressions and he does something, he doesn't just stay there. He looks young, I admit but that really isn't the point. The point is that he the same as any other character and just as important.

In Bh, he is.. I need to quote Kit-Chan's Envy here:
"And WTF, Scar, you always look like you are having an attack of the angry constipation. Learn to smile for god's sake!"

I can't remember one single scene where BH Scar had any other expression on his face than that "grunt". He is like a rock but he isn't tangible. He just... is.

Yet, even Scar wasn't as bad as Hughes.

In anime 1

Attached File  25_23.jpg ( 32.16K ) Number of downloads: 13

Attached File  untitled.jpg ( 33.44K ) Number of downloads: 12

In Bh

Attached File  char_7467.jpg ( 10.89K ) Number of downloads: 16

Attached File  61.jpg ( 41.89K ) Number of downloads: 19

I know it's probably going to be explained by "in the early episodes, the characters were still a little off" but that long face picture is unforgivable!

I mean, how can one simple character be so shamelessly destroyed? Did BH animators think he wasn't important enough to be styled properly since he wouldn't last for long? Or was it because he was such an important character in Anime 1, the could cut some slack with the newer one? I don't see Hughes as a comic relief; to my mind, he is the best and the most interesting character in FMA. No one can ever live up to his legacy. It really saddens me he wasn't given enough attention to draw him properly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post Nov 11 2010, 06:28 AM
Post #221

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

Misty- Nala, no offense, but I think you're the one who tries to convice other people to your opinion and you're starting a war. You're posts are so aggresion-filled.

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Nov 11 2010, 08:16 AM
Post #222

Apprentice

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Nov 11 2010, 08:25 AM) *
I really have to disagree with you guys. I have always, even before Brotherhood thought that anime Scar is the real Scar. When Brotherhood came along, the conclusion was even more clear.

Anime Scar is a character; he has feelings and his personality changes. You come to care for him and his faith and past make you burst into tears. In manga and Bh, Scar is just a minor side-character. He is a killer, nothing else. Despite the fact that he tags along and helps to save Amestris, he stays the same. His new life after the manga anyway doesn't really make sense but since manga and Anime 1 had to be opposites I assume it was only necessary not to kill him this time...

I was talking about the character design; you're talking about the character himself. But either way, I have to disagree with you.

"A killer, nothing else"? Far from it. Yes, he is driven by vengeance, that's a big part of it. But once you see his backstory, the relationship with his brother, and his attempt to uncover the secrets of his brother's legacy really humanized him. And unlike the first series, he actually moved on past the desire for revenge against the state military and fights alongside alchemists like Mustang, who he would have gladly killed earlier. J Michael Tatum had it right in a recent FMA podcast when he said that the first Scar is more like a force of nature, while Brotherhood Scar is more like a driven noble adversary.

Scar learned and grew so much from Winry (the scene where Winry bandages his arm is one of my favorites in the manga), Miles, the teachings of his Master, and the journey to complete his brother's work in a sense that it is very clear that he is not the same character by the time the Promised Day rolls around. He is someone who is much more at peace with himself, someone who doesn't dwell on the misdeeds of the past but rather fights for the future instead.

His new life makes perfect sense. Redemption by death has been done before; redemption by doing good and trying to make the world a better place s something that you don't see as much in fiction. Plus I like the idea that everything he has worked towards is over with now and he needs to find new direction in his life.

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Nov 11 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #223

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Nov 11 2010, 05:25 AM) *
Hate to disagree with a fellow Anime1 lover, but Anime1Scar doesn't change his goal of vengeance. He saves Al, sure, but he does it by destroying an entire army. He acknowledges that what he is doing is wrong, but can't get over his bitterness. He stands as a symbol that Revenge is wrong, and corruptive to one's person.
His death is a big foreshadow for Anime1Roy and what revenge does to him.

On a different topic...
Whatever you can say about the second half, you have to give credit for what BONES did for Anime1. No longer limited to the manga and its shouenen conventions, they decided to go outside the formula.
I know you loved the final battle, but you must admit the whole 'Let's get together and fight the big bad!' has been done before (Zoids: Chaotic Century, Silor Moon, Slayers Try, G Gundam, Vandread...).
Anime1 did things differently in surprising viewers:

Will the hero defeat the big bad in a big battle? No...

Will the big baddie die a spectacular death? No.

Shall our heroes get out of this battle with their values intact, or (in Roy's case) come off as a better person than before? NO

With the baddie gone, shall mankind be free of its corruption, and be allowed to thrive into a world of peace & love?
Snicker...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!...hehehe...he...he...Sadly no.

You might not like what they did, but you got to admire their guts.

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Nov 11 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #224

Apprentice

I'm very pleased with the number of reviews this topic has gotten and I have to say I agree with a lot of them. Here are some of my main props:

-The plot is different from the manga
I like it when the writers take a different point of view and create their own versions. Some times it works, some times it fails; in FMA's case, the result is a marvellous, exciting anime. I prefer the anime 1's story and timeline with the phase how the brother's got to Central. The plot is interesting, the themes go deep into human psyche; it's a psychological discovery. In fact, I think I prefer Anime 1 not only over Brotherhood but also over manga. I'm probably going to be hanged by saying something so heathen but anime 1 has got something unexplainable that just draws me to it. Fma isn't a happy show but when there is humor it's clever humor. Sometimes the jokes that aren't even meant to be those remind me of some appreciated, serious comedies.

-The ending
No matter what everyone think of the result, you can count on one thing: No one saw it coming. The conclusion was something that was very traditional yet somehow unique. I must say that it was the right way to end the show. It was sad as hell and made you feel incomplete (there comes the movie) but it fit. It matched the plot and made sense of everything. It kept the morals of the show and the principle of sacrifice and exchange e.g. alchemy being "made" of dead our-world people. Many claim that the ending was cheap and cliched but now that I've seen the end of the manga, I can say this one is better. No offence to the happy-ending stories and childhood romances come to life but after some pretty cheap plot points from the manga, I prefer the other-world theory.

-The atmosphere
Be it sadness, regret, joy, hope, agony, you can feel it. You experience everything with the characters and live the events with them. You cry tears as the main characters die. It's a very angst-ridden show but it makes you think and that is the most important. Aren't the best fictional creations those that affect your everyday life? Despite the fact that the show mainly relys on emotions and making the audience feel them too I have never cried in Hughes' funeral scene ( ohmy.gif ). Yeah, that's right. I was sobbing at the end but couldn't get a single-tear in my eyes when that scene was on. I have tried several times but it has never worked.
This brings me to my, for now, last point:

-Maes Hughes
I think no one denies that mostly we can thank the first anime for the massive succeess of this character who was in the picture too short a time. He is a legend that everyone loves. I am one of those rare ones who dislike his obsession to show pictures. It isn't because the act itself is shameful which it in a way is; it's because Hughes has so much more in him. Luckily, Fma 1 came and created a complex character who became a surrogate father for our main heroes.
Hughes is different from the manga. Despite the fact that he never went to war and so couldn't really understand Roy's depression and post-traumatic stress order, this man is shrewd when it comes to the world and the military. In manga he wasn't featured for long, only a handful of chapters but in Anime 1, his existense spans and thus makes him more of a main character. He is the one to whom everyone come with their problems and he looks after everyone and still manages to keep his job. What a superman. Because of the longer time he is around, we get to see him interact with several people. All the times they had had together came handy when it was time for Hughes to go. Everyone's grief is better understood when the audience can reminesence all the previous episodes where Hughes played a part. Edward's grief, for example, has a better reason. After all, in manga they knew only for a couple of months (some one correct me if I am wrong) but in anime the father-son relationship they had was many many times longer. I'm not saying manga wasn't right about making everyone grief their friend, I think it is understandable but in Anime 1, the sadness was more tangible for the audience. You need to have some memories to be able to mourn.
Also, didn't I love the scene where Hughes says his goodbye to Edward. By what I've heard, It seems to be loved by everyone, no matter which show they prefer. It is simple, very peaceful and yet has more of an effect than the funeral scene and It's raining.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Nov 11 2010, 11:36 AM
Post #225

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,903

Sorry, just jumping in for a second because I'm paranoid...

QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Nov 11 2010, 05:28 AM) *
Misty- Nala, no offense, but I think you're the one who tries to convice other people to your opinion and you're starting a war. You're posts are so aggresion-filled.

Aggression-filled? If you think Misty-Nala's posts are aggression-filled, you should see ME in a debate. tongue.gif Lol, but seriously...just because she's holding her own and going against the majority opinion of "Brotherhood is BETTER so nyeh" doesn't mean she's trying to start a war. Not once have I seen her say anything like "my opinion's better than yours and I'm right and you're wrong so STFU". All she's doing is presenting her side and clearly explaining why she stands by it. She's firm, but she's civil, and I really respect that.

Nobody's asking anybody to change their opinion on anything, as far as I can see; so let's just enjoy the debate, keep open minds and respect what everyone has to say. And sing kumbaya while we're at it. xD

Back on topic...as much as I love and adore Brotherhood's plot, I have to agree with you, Claudius. Anime1 DID have guts with where they went. And I hardly know anything about anime, but I've heard that most in most animes that deviate from the manga, you can clearly tell where the original story stops and the new one begins. But when I first watched FMA, I didn't get any sense of that at all. The story felt completely seamless to me. Maybe because I hadn't read the manga yet, but still...

I also personally think they were extremely creative with how they interpreted the Gate and the homunculi. To this day, I still LOVE the idea of homunculi being failed human transmutation attempts. It fits beautifully with the "sins" concept and makes them all more complex and interesting...as opposed to the typical Big Baddie's Henchmen we get in Brotherhood. (Which I'll admit is also awesome, in a different way. I love deliciously evil villians. And Greed makes a great sorta-not-really bad guy.) And as for the Gate...I honestly don't understand why so many people hate the "parallel world" thing, 'cause I thought it was very clever and thought-provoking...especially with the revelation that the deaths from our world were what powered alchemy in that world. More thematically interesting than getting energy from tectonic plates...or whatever it is...just my opinion. Nobody throw bricks at me, plz.

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 10:20 AM

Copyright Đ2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css