HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood, How each/both series measures up in your opinion? (Spoiler Warning!
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 287
Guests cannot vote 
Kirara
post Aug 26 2009, 04:54 AM
Post #136

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (Sal_san @ Aug 25 2009, 02:30 AM) *

A very well thought out post and I think you pointed out the strengths and weaknesses of both series quite well. As much as I am not really a fan of the 1st anime anymore I agree that it did many things better than Brotherhood: I am not a big fan of the plot & character development in the 1st anime which is why I always preferred the manga. But the first anime did make you feel and I felt it was telling a story and not just relating events. Not to mention the OST as you pointed out was gorgeous.

Brotherhood does have the better plot/characterization as the manga but in many ways it does feel like it is just relating events and not telling a story. It feels rushed so it doesn't allow you to have that same emotional impact. Of course I do think the manga storyline is overall less emotional than the first anime but sometimes I still feel more from reading events in the manga than watching them animated. And I think it should be the opposite. I guess there are exceptions like the Roy VS Lust scene was brilliant but it's not enough. And as for the music well it's not bad but it's rarely used effiectively.

So overall I am not sure what I prefer at this point. I should prefer Brotherhood because I prefer the manga to the first series by a long shot. But well that's just not the case. In the end I think neither Brotherhood or the first anime are bad but I find them equally flawed, just for different reasons. But then again the first series might come on top because at least it tells a completely different story from the manga in the end. Whereas Brotherhood is just telling the manga storyline but I feel I get more from just reading the manga.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hotmustard
post Aug 26 2009, 08:02 AM
Post #137

Citizen

Member No.: 70,636

After seeing so many postings bashing FMA B, I can't believe that it is still the choice for popularity over the old version. I myself prefer FMA B to FMA because of its beautiful drawing and staying close to the manga, though there were some rush that prevented the anime to dig deep.

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Aug 26 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #138

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

^Well I know for me personally even though I acknowledge that FMA1 works better as a stand alone work due to its much better pacing and arguably better OST/art style, I still prefer Brotherhood because for me the manga storyline is infinitely better than the original anime one.

I don't feel Brotherhood does the manga true justice, however the manga contains one of my favourite storylines in absolutely anything, so even coming close to being half as awesome as the manga makes this a great series for me.

+Quote Post
Mhacy
post Sep 3 2009, 06:03 AM
Post #139

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,452

.... Full Metal Alchemist’s remake has attracted much unwelcome attention with the release of TV ratings which show a collapse in ratings, especially compared to the much loved but totally divergent original:

The original maintained an average of 6% throughout its 50 episodes. The remake on the other hand manages an average of a mere 3.3%, and falling fast, less than half way through.

There are rumours of the show being moved to a more favourable timeslot, not that there is any real indication that this would rescue it…

Source: <PM me for the link to the source of this article> i found the link on FMA fanclub fai's comment (i just want to gave the credits to him)

what is the meaning of this?sad.gif It's unacceptable!

<I took out the link because the site has quite a few "adult" manga/anime images (although not the graphic kind) along with news/discussions on those kind of manga/anime. ^^ ~ Tombow>

--------------------

Just say...." I DO....."

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Sep 3 2009, 08:29 AM
Post #140

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Mhacy - I checked the article, but I couldn't find the source of data they used in their article, although I'm guessing the ratings info posted are most likely originally from Video Research Ltd. in Japan (that's the company that does most of TV ratings research in Japan, and it's the Japanese equivalent of Nielsen in the U.S., I think) as most of ratings info mostly come from that company. So, I tried checking the ratings for FMA:B on Video Research Ltd.. But, my Net connection is still really slow/bad and it takes long time, if I can get connected there at all...so, so far I could only find out that when it debuted, FMA:B got about 5.3% ratings (meaning 5.3% of all households in Japan with TV sets tuned into this show) and that was #7 most watched anime that week following Conan, but other weeks it seems to have been failing to make weekly top 10 most watched anime list. And so, I'm guessing that the data in the article is probably correct, and FMA:B is garnering much lower TV ratings than FMA:1. But, FMA:B is a remake and in the earlier episodes the story was very similar to the story on FMA:1, so the series getting less ratings than FMA:1 was quite understandable, IMO. Hopefully, the ratings would improve somehow. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Sep 3 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #141

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Lower ratings for this series are to be expected.

The first series attracted more than just the fans of the original manga, whereas this one is likely to attract mostly the hardcore manga fans (of course, some of the real hardcore ones are annoyed by the shuffling). The ones who already saw the first one probably feel, by and large, "been there, done that", and may not be likely to even bother giving the later material a try, since there's so much other anime out there.

As an equal fan of both the manga and the original series, though, I'm more than pleased to get more FMA in any form, and despite my gripes, rather enjoy Brotherhood.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Sep 3 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #142

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

Well I don't really understand why ratings would be dropping, I mean what DOES get good ratings in Japan nowadays? If it's garbage like Naruto Shippuden then obviously quality has absolutely nothing to do with ratings.

You'd think there'd be plenty of youngsters out there that hadn't experienced any version of FMA before (since the original aired like what, 6 years ago?) that'd be excited about watching this.

The Japanese entertainment industry as a whole confuses me just now. It's like with the games industry now where everything seems to sell like crap over there unless it's a sequel to a long running franchise, nothing brand new seems to do well even if it's awesome.

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Sep 10 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #143

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

We have to remember that ratings do not work in Japan the way they do in the US with the TV series.

The anime ratings in general have fell between the time FMA was on and now. Not to mention the popularization of the TV recording system, so all those ratings have been greatly distorted. They also don't count the online viewers, both in Japan and outside it.

More than that, the ratings in and for itself do not mean much as of content or whether the viewers are liking or not: it can be because of channel, because of the day/hour of the show, the target audience (which, in the case of FMA:B is relatively smaller than FMA, even for it's more 'heavy' contents, somewhat)... so, those ratings are more important in terms of publicity (for the people to decide whether or not to advertise during that show and the prices of that advertisement) than in terms of 'FMA:B is not going good with public'. Too announce it as a statement is rushed and makes more confusion than clarifies anything.

And, in regards to 'comparison' between the two series, I find it rather pointless. I do not think FMA is better in any way than FMA:B. They're merely different. Some friends of mine to whom I introduce FMA through FMA:B are enjoying it very much and, most of them, even prefere it to FMA 1 when I showed the first to them. So, this is all very relative and, have being familiar with FMA 1 may cloud the judgment. I mean, to say the characters are not as charismatic in FMA:B makes little sense in terms that we already know them! For those who don't they may be as charismatic as the FMA 1 were.
My main argument is this: they're different pieces of work, with different dynamics, public, objectives. To try to compare them is always going to be related to something we have known first and loved, so we're not in an impartial place to judge.

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post
Emily_BrokenAnge...
post Sep 10 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #144

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 32,325

Well I like them both

But I think Brotherhood just touched me so deep X33
Hurray for Brotherhood!!! >DD

--------------------

Hey there!! Are you a fan of Armony or EdXArmony?! Join us at our club!!. Im the president or agent , Nekokitty is the vice-president and Herumastaa Kanaru is our secretary
If you want to join us, please PM one of us. Also, when you become a member, put "Im a member of the EdXArmony club" or something similar in your signature xD

+Quote Post
Zephyr Alchemist
post Sep 10 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #145

Citizen

Member No.: 71,006

Brotherhood totally kicks A because it sticks closer to the manga. The first season made no sense and didn't follow any of the basic alchemic rules. I know that they kind of had to make it up since the manga was still young but they didn't a terrible job doing it.

--------------------
"Every time I see her I get these pains in my chest and I just know that it's her fault, that b*tch" -Ron

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Sep 19 2009, 10:59 PM
Post #146

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

QUOTE (Zephyr Alchemist @ Sep 11 2009, 12:08 AM) *
Brotherhood totally kicks A because it sticks closer to the manga. The first season made no sense and didn't follow any of the basic alchemic rules. I know that they kind of had to make it up since the manga was still young but they didn't a terrible job doing it.

While I agree that Brotherhood is great especially since it sticks to the manga, I totally disagree with you on FMA 1. I honestly feel like the art direction and mood was set much better since the very beginning up until the end. The pacing was just right, and nothing felt rushed. I feel like Brotherhood is a little too flashy and still lacks a lot of emotional depth.

FMA:1 was amazing, and it made perfect sense. It was pretty easy to understand the storyline and most things were explained. If anything the manga still has a lot of big question marks on it.

Although Brotherhood is high-def and much clearer than FMA:1, I feel like the softer colors and detailed characters really made the anime stand out. The animation in the first series is equally as good as the second. One thing I gotta say is that the fights in the first series were pretty EPIC.

Ed vs. Greed in FMA:1 was amazing. The Greed vs Bradley fight in Brotherhood was....well....ok I guess, a little short. Roy vs. Bradley in FMA:1 was also majorly epic.

The only redeeming quality fight from Brotherhood so far was Roy vs. Lust. That was VERY WELL DONE.

Oh yeah! Lets also not forget the episode on Barry the Chopper! That was the episode that got me hooked!

All in all, I am SOO GRATEFUL that they made a second series!!! Thanks Arakawa! biggrin.gif

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
Cronoz
post Nov 30 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #147

Citizen

Member No.: 71,908

FMA was a brilliant series, good storyline, character development, artwork, the lot. But the ending was heartbreaking, Ed and Al end up in the middle of WWII, I wonder what will happen to them? Oh, I know, they quickly end up being victims in a time of mass genocide, a concentration camp maybe? Obliterated by an airstrike? Without alchemy stuck in the middle of WWII they're gonners. My main hope is that they end FMA:B with a nice ending, is that too much to ask for?

+Quote Post
archronos
post Nov 30 2009, 11:21 PM
Post #148

Citizen

Member No.: 70,040

I'd be eager to say Brotherhood except for the down right confusing choices Bones have made regard the placement and inclusion of certain scenes (Ishbal War). We've had entire episodes dedicated to filler within the manga but Ishbal arc is crammed into one episode? Rediculous. Oh well, I'll wait and see until I decide to pick favorites, but right now I split down the middle.

+Quote Post
Deadbeat007
post Dec 1 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #149

Citizen

Member No.: 72,024

I've really warmed up to Brotherhood and now prefer it over the original series. My favorite character is Ling, though, so I may be biased. tongue.gif I've found Brotherhood to be a lot funnier than FMA-1... There's drama, but it also has light-hearted moments, which I hear is what Arakawa strives toward in the manga. I also like the animation better in Brotherhood - it seems smoother and cleaner, somehow. I liked FMA-1 a lot, but Brotherhood has edged up to be my new favorite.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Dec 1 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #150

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Program Note>

I moved posts with discussions on FMA OVA to FMA OVA discussion thread. Though it could make an interesting discussion concerning OVA, since the collection of FMA OVA released so far is NOT considered as the part of canon FMA-1 anime storyline (as per words from the director of FMA-1 anime/FMA OVA/and FMA movie himself,) please do not bring in FMA OVA story-line discussion to this thread, and instead, please continue your OVA discussion on FMA OVA discussion thread. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2016 - 07:46 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css