HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood, How each/both series measures up in your opinion? (Spoiler Warning!
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 287
Guests cannot vote 
Dearheart
post Aug 23 2009, 03:35 PM
Post #121

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 64,903

Okay...now that I've seen more episodes, I think I've finally got a solid opinion formed on Brotherhood. Bear with me; this is kinda long, but I need to vent.

Manga enthusiasts, don't kill me...but I've tried to give it a chance. I've tried SO HARD to love it and plug into it, and now and then I have truly loved it...but it's just not working. Something's missing; something vital that the first series had. And I've finally figured out what it is.

It's heart.

Don't get me wrong; I'm glad they're doing another series, and there are many things about Brotherhood that I like. I'm glad it's following the original, stronger storyline, the art is GORGEOUS, the world is bigger and better, and because I've read the manga, I know the characters are going to grow and develop a lot more (and EdWin will finally get the attention it deserves!!). biggrin.gif

But Fullmetal Alchemist did something for me that no other anime could do: it told me a story. It drew me in and made the characters so vibrant and rich and real to me. It took time to let me laugh and cry along with them and truly care about what happened. And it wasn't just the characters...it was everything. The themes and messages explored, the pacing, the music (Bratja!!), the voice-acting (both the Japanese AND the English), the animation consistency, the way each episode was directed and put together...forget the anime part; it was a good show, period. Everything was so top-notch. Granted, it had its flaws (too much angst in a few places, a slightly OOC Ed, a lame Al, a lame main villain and NO PROPER EDWIN!!!!) and it fell apart towards the end. Most of us can agree on that. But overall it was amazing.

Brotherhood isn't telling me a story. It's merely depicting a chain of events. Like I mentioned before, it has many good elements in it...but they aren't working together. Everything feels so inconsistent; one moment it meets the bar, and the next it crashes (and that ESPECIALLY goes for the music. Ugh. I WANT THE RUSSIAN BOYS CHOIR BACK, DANGIT). The pacing and the way everything's put together feels so frenetic and clumsy. Instead of pulling me in, Brotherhood just sits back and leaves to me skim around on the surface, wondering why I can't connect to the characters like I used to. It feels like they aren't even really trying. (The ONLY episode I feel has matched the first series was episode 19, with the Roy vs. Lust fight. That one brought tears to my eyes, it was so good...) There's no heart in it, no depth; and because that vital part is missing, everything else falls flat for me. It's like they sacrificed the storytelling and character depth for pretty pictures and dippy Japanese humor. sad.gif FMA deserves better.

And about the humor...I've heard many fans say that the first series was too dark and didn't have enough of Arakawa's comedy in it. And to some extent, I agree; it was a little more serious and there wasn't a lot of her manga humor in it. But believe it or not, I liked it better that way. It made everything feel more realistic and down-to-earth. Arakawa's cartoonish humor is wonderful in the manga, but when it's in anime form, it loses magic and becomes jarring and annoying. And another thing: I don't think a lot of you appreciate what little humor there was in the first series. Seriously. There were some HILARIOUS lines in that show ("Tell him fine, there's no way I'm dying before you do, you morally bankrupt Colonel with a God complex!") and when there was humor, it was clever and genuinely FUNNY...not just your generic, slapstick Japanese comedy. (Why does no one else besides me seem to appreciate that??)

Anyway...I wish to God that I could say different about this new series, because FMA is such a marvelous story and I love it so much...but I can't. And that makes me very sad. sad.gif Maybe as I keep watching and they go through more manga material and later get it dubbed in English, I'll feel different. And I really hope I will. But for now, Brotherhood is just another nice anime for me to watch on Monday afternoons.

So, yeah. Sorry for that long ramble, lol. And no offense to anyone who feels otherwise; I'm just putting my opinion out there and trying to sum up my thoughts so far.

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post Aug 23 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #122

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 68,640

Wow, seems like you really put a lot of thought into that rant, Dearheart. I agree with you on most of your points, especially about the music, but there is one thing I'd like to point out: your bit of humor from the anime was originally from the manga.
QUOTE (Dearheart @ Aug 23 2009, 06:35 PM) *
("Tell him fine, there's no way I'm dying before you do, you morally bankrupt Colonel with a God complex!")

Check out this page, it's not the exact same line of course, but I'm sure that's what the scene was.

Anyway, I still have to say that I like Brotherhood better, but that's probably because I love the manga so much more. I read the manga before I tried the anime, and everything in the first season just seemed so riduculous after reading the manga. My friend Forsaken Love can point out all the loopholes that makes FMA1 fail compared to the manga. People who saw the anime first probably have a different opinion, but that's where I stand.

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
Rainshine
post Aug 23 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 64,866

I can't really say that I like one better then the other, because they are both so different. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FullMetalFist
post Aug 23 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #124

Citizen

Member No.: 50,694

QUOTE (Dearheart @ Aug 23 2009, 06:35 PM) *
Okay...now that I've seen more episodes, I think I've finally got a solid opinion formed on Brotherhood. Bear with me; this is kinda long, but I need to vent.

Manga enthusiasts, don't kill me...but I've tried to give it a chance. I've tried SO HARD to love it and plug into it, and now and then I have truly loved it...but it's just not working. Something's missing; something vital that the first series had. And I've finally figured out what it is.

It's heart.

Don't get me wrong; I'm glad they're doing another series, and there are many things about Brotherhood that I like. I'm glad it's following the original, stronger storyline, the art is GORGEOUS, the world is bigger and better, and because I've read the manga, I know the characters are going to grow and develop a lot more (and EdWin will finally get the attention it deserves!!). biggrin.gif

But Fullmetal Alchemist did something for me that no other anime could do: it told me a story. It drew me in and made the characters so vibrant and rich and real to me. It took time to let me laugh and cry along with them and truly care about what happened. And it wasn't just the characters...it was everything. The themes and messages explored, the pacing, the music (Bratja!!), the voice-acting (both the Japanese AND the English), the animation consistency, the way each episode was directed and put together...forget the anime part; it was a good show, period. Everything was so top-notch. Granted, it had its flaws (too much angst in a few places, a slightly OOC Ed, a lame Al, a lame main villain and NO PROPER EDWIN!!!!) and it fell apart towards the end. Most of us can agree on that. But overall it was amazing.

Brotherhood isn't telling me a story. It's merely depicting a chain of events. Like I mentioned before, it has many good elements in it...but they aren't working together. Everything feels so inconsistent; one moment it meets the bar, and the next it crashes (and that ESPECIALLY goes for the music. Ugh. I WANT THE RUSSIAN BOYS CHOIR BACK, DANGIT). The pacing and the way everything's put together feels so frenetic and clumsy. Instead of pulling me in, Brotherhood just sits back and leaves to me skim around on the surface, wondering why I can't connect to the characters like I used to. It feels like they aren't even really trying. (The ONLY episode I feel has matched the first series was episode 19, with the Roy vs. Lust fight. That one brought tears to my eyes, it was so good...) There's no heart in it, no depth; and because that vital part is missing, everything else falls flat for me. It's like they sacrificed the storytelling and character depth for pretty pictures and dippy Japanese humor. sad.gif FMA deserves better.

And about the humor...I've heard many fans say that the first series was too dark and didn't have enough of Arakawa's comedy in it. And to some extent, I agree; it was a little more serious and there wasn't a lot of her manga humor in it. But believe it or not, I liked it better that way. It made everything feel more realistic and down-to-earth. Arakawa's cartoonish humor is wonderful in the manga, but when it's in anime form, it loses magic and becomes jarring and annoying. And another thing: I don't think a lot of you appreciate what little humor there was in the first series. Seriously. There were some HILARIOUS lines in that show ("Tell him fine, there's no way I'm dying before you do, you morally bankrupt Colonel with a God complex!") and when there was humor, it was clever and genuinely FUNNY...not just your generic, slapstick Japanese comedy. (Why does no one else besides me seem to appreciate that??)

Anyway...I wish to God that I could say different about this new series, because FMA is such a marvelous story and I love it so much...but I can't. And that makes me very sad. sad.gif Maybe as I keep watching and they go through more manga material and later get it dubbed in English, I'll feel different. And I really hope I will. But for now, Brotherhood is just another nice anime for me to watch on Monday afternoons.

So, yeah. Sorry for that long ramble, lol. And no offense to anyone who feels otherwise; I'm just putting my opinion out there and trying to sum up my thoughts so far.

You know what I could not have said that any better myself. I know exactly what you mean. The beginning of the first series was less serious and had more comedy. By time it got closer to the end, the darker it got. That is how it all normally goes even in real life. When we are young life seems better and not as serious, as time goes on life can become bleak and dark. I am not trying to depress anyone. I look at the first series this way, the series grew with the characters. Things started off light hearted, the further they dug, the further they go sucked in. So seeing Edward (spoiler from the first series for those who did not see it)getting run through by Envy, it really tour you up in side. I remember when I saw that part, I nearly lost it. You really did care about the character by the end of the series. Not to mention the opening theme song in the beginning of the last 10 or so episodes really pumped you up for each episode because you knew this who story was spiraling to a tragic end.. Asian Kung Fu Generation is an amazing band. The music was all around better too.Although I am also enjoying the new series in a different way.

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Aug 23 2009, 11:58 PM
Post #125

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

@Dearheart

I agree with you on very single point you just brought up! Thank you, thank you, thank you for that.
I've been trying to formulate my thoughts and put them into words for so long, but I've never quite been able to pull it off. You just did. You just summarized my feelings towards Brotherhood and the old anime perfectly.

So, if anyone should ever want my opinon on the new series, is it okay if I link them back here, to read your post? xD

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Aug 24 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #126

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,903

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Aug 23 2009, 11:58 PM) *
@Dearheart

I agree with you on very single point you just brought up! Thank you, thank you, thank you for that.
I've been trying to formulate my thoughts and put them into words for so long, but I've never quite been able to pull it off. You just did. You just summarized my feelings towards Brotherhood and the old anime perfectly.

So, if anyone should ever want my opinon on the new series, is it okay if I link them back here, to read your post? xD

Wow! Uhh, you're welcome! laugh.gif And sure you can! Glad I could be helpful, lol. But seriously, it's great to know I'm not the only FMA fan on the planet (or at least on this forum) who HAS read the manga and still thinks the first series did better than Brotherhood has so far. Rock on. *highfives* biggrin.gif

I'll definitely keep watching it, though. Even though it's not pulling me in, it's still somewhat cool to see the manga being brought to life...along with all the awesome EdWin moments. biggrin.gif I think that's probably the main reason why I'm still watching it, actually...besides Al being awesome, and my little sister not being allowed to read the manga. She's loving the new storyline, and it's fun to watch her reactions to it. biggrin.gif (And hey, what can I say? I like unromantic romances.) wink.gif

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!

+Quote Post
Radadinator
post Aug 24 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #127

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,706

I've mostly tried to be optimistic about the new series, but it's had me struggling in a few areas (Episode 13, oh God.) Even so, I view both Brotherhood and FMA 1 on about the same level.

Brotherhood's main problem is inconsistency. I don't know if it's because of too many writers, or because the director's somewhat of a rookie, but what really hurts me is that Brotherhood has the potential to be pretty freaking awesome, and they're not handling it right. The worst things they've done are Izumi landing a punch on Greed and Hoho losing all of his quirkiness, because both of those were a little OOC.

To be fair, though, FMA 1 has a ton of advantages over Brotherhood. For starters, FMA 1 was the first series. Nothing to compare it to but the manga, and the plots deviated so much that you have to view them as separate mediums. Brotherhood's not so lucky. Everybody's ready to criticize it for something that might seem wrong, even if it's not actually a bad detail. And now that it's closer to the manga, a ton of people are comparing the hell out of both.

Also, artwise, FMA 1 had great animation, but an average and dull outlook. Nothing unusual. Brotherhood took a risk and went for a different look. The catch is, they don't always have the budget to make this look work. But when they do, it's pretty special.

Aaaaaaand let's not forget that a lot of viewers already saw/read both the first anime and the manga's version of scenes. Exactly why Brotherhood's scenes, no matter how they do it, will lose a little of its impact.

And I know a lot of people, if they haven't already, are really going to disagree with me on this point, but I can actually tell that they put in some effort into the story. No effort is not changing it at all. A ton of effort is rearranging arcs completely, adding, deleting, and expanding. Yeah, a lot of the choices they made are eh, but some are genuinely impressive, and at least they're trying to make Brotherhood an interesting and new experience to watch. I feel like Yasuhiro Irie gets the story. I blame the main writer for the mistakes. Totally not biased towards Yasuhiro's Kurau: Phantom Memory, of course. You go watch that series now and feel bad about doubting his abilities. Ignore this, I'm a hypocrite. ):

Whoa, that's weird. I started typing this to agree with the posts above me, and I ended up actually...defending the series. Of course, nobody's going to agree with me, but oh well. Hell, I'll even give this series a score. 7/10. Too high? Probably. You can all go rub it in my face when Brotherhood becomes a loser series. I'll run around here typing I TOLD YOU SO if by some vague chance Brotherhood becomes even better than FMA 1.

(And no, don't tell me that Brotherhood is "already a loser series", or that it will never be "better than FMA 1" because everybody's opinions differ. My goal was to try to make this fun to read, because it's so damn long.)

+Quote Post
Kaosugoji
post Aug 24 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #128

Citizen

Member No.: 67,446

FMA1 is definitely the superior adaptation. The characters are easier to warm up to; in some cases more well constructed, and the slower pace goes a long way in nailing in the thought provoking, poignant themes and ideas present in the story.

Brotherhood is certainly rushed and has a tendency to truncate plot and character development from time to time, but lacking heart? I'm not sure I agree with that. It took about four episodes for the series to really break into the characterizations and drama, but I think they've stuck on since. The edges are trimmed; we don't have many scenes of the characters just kind of walking/sitting around and not doing much other than colorfully communicating about trivial things, and I miss that. I would love to see Ed and Al just playing cards and Ed cheating, I would have liked to see Hohenheim mutter about the similarities between his and Ed's hairstyle. The core components of what make these characters compelling though, are still there. FMA to me, is essentially a coming-of-age story. A tale of two children who cast aside their childhoods and brought themselves into a cruel world that functions counter to the childish notions and fleeting, unrealistic hopes they still hold onto. The Elric Brothers don't always deal with it in the right way, and sometimes casualties come as a price for advancement. Sometimes, that drags them toward despair, but through all the angst, they emerge wiser, more world weary, and stronger. That kind of story speaks to me in a way few others manage to, and that's why I'm such a big fan of FMA. I think Brotherhood has a solid hold over that core character element and doesn't arrange itself in such a way that it's obscured by plot movers. That's why I'm sticking with this show despite the disappointments, and that's why I would place it over most modern day anime.

Granted, all of that is portrayed much better in FMA1.

+Quote Post
Sal_san
post Aug 25 2009, 01:30 AM
Post #129

Citizen

Member No.: 62,930

Just some curious blabbering.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Aug 25 2009, 05:46 AM
Post #130

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

So far I would agree that due to Brotherhood's problems with rushed pacing, the original adaption feels more robust as a stand alone animated series than Brotherhood does.

A perfect manga adaption with the pacing of the first series (running for more like 80-100 episodes instead of the 50 Brotherhood seems to be aiming for) would definitely be the run away winner though with no comparison but sadly that series does not exist.

Anyway though people doing full comparisons between both shows now and declaring an outright WINNER are making a bad decision. It's obvious Brotherhood's pacing is never going to slow down but before getting halfway through the show, it's a bad choice to outright decide what's "best". Brotherhood is going to be full of incredible scenes in the later parts that the old show can't even touch, even if they do lose a ton of the quality and depth through fast pacing.

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post Aug 25 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #131

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,867

QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Aug 25 2009, 05:46 AM) *
So far I would agree that due to Brotherhood's problems with rushed pacing, the original adaption feels more robust as a stand alone animated series than Brotherhood does.

A perfect manga adaption with the pacing of the first series (running for more like 80-100 episodes instead of the 50 Brotherhood seems to be aiming for) would definitely be the run away winner though with no comparison but sadly that series does not exist.

Anyway though people doing full comparisons between both shows now and declaring an outright WINNER are making a bad decision. It's obvious Brotherhood's pacing is never going to slow down but before getting halfway through the show, it's a bad choice to outright decide what's "best". Brotherhood is going to be full of incredible scenes in the later parts that the old show can't even touch, even if they do lose a ton of the quality and depth through fast pacing.

I agree with Mr. Deathly. the first 20 episodes of Bleach was rushing through the manga material until it finally slowed down, and it reach it's epicness during the 13 squads battle. then they hit the filler but yeah. atleast the series still has alot more manga material covered. Rurouni Kenshin Tokyo arc got the shaft. they cut down so many parts that brotherhood has nothing to say about it. Especially comparing the first Aoshi arc in manga and anime. The kyoto arc almost made up for it but in its self, Kenshin was a pretty good anime. Atleast Arkawa is almost done with the manga that they dont have to switch to fillers.

I think maybe its the budget they were given, brotherhood had to limit some things and in my opinion they sure as hell got really damn lucky to have a another shot at Brotherhood. Hellsing is the only anime on the top of my head that got lucky to have that happen. I think we should be thankful for having another FMA series that is more and less taking the manga route.
I would die out of happiness if some company take on kenshin again with the jinchuu arc and manga already done.

I like the comparison page and agree with it athough personally I like the background music in brotherhood just as much. then again, I havent watch FMA 1 in a while.

any

+Quote Post
Radadinator
post Aug 25 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #132

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,706

QUOTE (Sal_san @ Aug 25 2009, 01:30 AM) *

Okay, that convinced me.
I was just reading over my post and realized that I didn't so much review Brotherhood as point out how it's underrated. What a mistake.
Although I've always viewed the manga as a fast-paced series (do Ed and Al even share some normal time there, like with the card game in FMA 1?), Brotherhood needs to learn to slow down.

At this point, I guess I like FMA 1 better. But I'll keep giving Brotherhood a chance.

+Quote Post
Full-Fledged Alc...
post Aug 25 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #133

Citizen

Member No.: 69,399

If you're talking about the animation, FMA-1 wins epically over Brotherhood, but as far as the story, I prefer Brotherhood. Sure, it's a bit rushed, but they have a lot of manga to catch up with ^^

I love the manga and hate the ending of the 1st anime and movie, so I prefer Brotherhood overall.

--------------------
Hughes: I've got a message from Roy.
Ed: You mean the colonel.
Hughes: He said "Don't die under my command, you're enough trouble without the paperwork..."...that's it...
Ed: Tell him "Fine, there's no way I'm dying before you, you morally bankrupt colonel with a God Complex."

+Quote Post
Rainshine
post Aug 25 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #134

Member No.: 64,866

QUOTE (Sal_san @ Aug 25 2009, 01:30 AM) *

Wow, that's really great.
So.. I guess that I actually do like FMA-1 better then brotherhood, just because I had watched it before I read the manga, and it was one of the first animes I had ever watched, and I really loved and connected with all the characters.
That doesn't mean I like FMA-1 more then the manga, I love the manga just as much. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sakuraflower
post Aug 25 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #135

Citizen

Member No.: 70,377

I personally think Ed looked way better in the first anime too

But on plot, FMA Brotherhood beats the first anime. Now Lin is in it =3

--------------------

Support the Alphonse Kitty Rescue!!!!

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2016 - 03:54 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css