HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood, How each/both series measures up in your opinion? (Spoiler Warning!
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 287
Guests cannot vote 
Kaosugoji
post Mar 28 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #61

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,446

QUOTE (muziris @ Mar 28 2009, 02:47 AM) *
[
Actually, it annoyed me because Al is supposed to be a more independent character, and he never did anything on his own of any merit. : / He's a younger brother, he's supposed to admire his older brother and support him and whatnot, but not to the point of being a puppy. He was completely dependent.

It also bothered me because in the first 20 episodes, they established Al as the more mature/rational thinker of the two. It was even implied that he was a better martial artist. So why is it that in later episodes he keeps acting irrationally by doing really illogical things and putting himself in unnecessary danger? It doesn't make any sense.

It wasn't "He got reckless and made a minor mistake and learned from it," it was more like "He made spontaneous stupid decisions that usually ended up with him in unnecessary danger, and he didn't learn from them."

I don't think an entirely rational thinker would have been so easily convinced that all his memories were fabricated despite all of the evidence to the contrary. That happened in both versions of the story. Al may be much more soft spoken, polite, and more calm than Ed, but at heart, he's still a kid.

As for those incident with Scar he didn't really go to the Ishbalan hideout expecting to find him there, and when he did he was pretty much ready to attack him until he found the Ishbalans had accepted Scar. He was hanging around him because they had a common purpose: save Rick, and as for the battle he got himself into, I think he handled that pretty well.

In the case of Sloth, Al was duped into believing she was a reincarnation of his mother, and it's not liek he was the only one either. Ed admitted he had been played too. Also recall that the only offensive gesture she made toward Ed was to grab him and tell him in a rather motherly tone not to run away. That, and the fact that Al was pissed that Ed robbed their mother's grave behind his back are the reasons he ended up tossing his mother's remains out the window.

As far as I'm concerned, those tasks he took upon himself in Liore were pretty noble. If you ask me, risking your life to stop a homicidal maniac from turning every single denizen of a city under sige into a bomb and also a vengeful crusader who plans to wipe out an entire army at once is pretty commendable. Although his pacifist nature ended up screwing that up and turning him into the Philosopher's Stone, it's not like that contradicts any previously established characterzation.

Yes, I'll admit Ed gets the glory of finishing most of the bad guys, but after all, it was Al who ended up preventing them from completing their goal in the end, even if it meant blowing himself up. My point overall is that Al isn't the stupid-sidekick-who-does-nothing you're making him out to be. Yes, he's empathetic to a fault and very gullible, but I think he's a well defined character all the same. Besides, he got to finish off most of the bad guys in the movie.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Mar 29 2009, 05:53 AM
Post #62

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

I don't think an entirely rational thinker would have been so easily convinced that all his memories were fabricated despite all of the evidence to the contrary. That happened in both versions of the story. Al may be much more soft spoken, polite, and more calm than Ed, but at heart, he's still a kid.

Barry was pretty convincing in saying that there was no proof that he ever existed, and Al's knowledge about memory didn't help. Neither did Ed's question that he didn't have a chance to say (well, no, he did have a chance in the anime but he let it go) just before that event, nor his comment about Al being lucky for being tall (Al completely snapped with that comment sleep.gif ).

+Quote Post
Goral
post Apr 12 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #63

Citizen

Member No.: 59,458

QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 12 2009, 06:02 PM) *
Yes, I read it countless times, but why are you asking?
You would enjoy it, but remember yor're not the only one who is watching it. If they'd simply gave us the same first two episodes but a little better, they'd lost many watchers, who could thought 'I already saw this' and all. (...)

You've read manga countless times reading the same thing again and again and you enjoyed it so I thought you would understand why I asked (i.e. the same thing could happen with the anime).
What are you basing your statement on when writing:"they would lost many watchers who could thought 'I already saw this' "? Did you waste money on ordering an opinion poll? From what I remember FMA was one of the biggest hits ever and people loved it. Even now on many rankings it's still on the top 20 (on MAL 19th, on animenfo 2nd, on ANN 11th). I'm sure that people that are glorifying FMA:B would glorify remastered FMA in full HD because they're FMA fanatics. People that "only" liked it probably wouldn't remember much of anime that was released six years ago anyway (so they could watch better version of anime with ease) and if they've seen it recently at worst case scenario they would skip first episodes (either whole episode or they would use "skip"/"fast forward" button on their players). And seriously, do you think that there would be many people like this (by "like this" I mean people that were bored by first episodes of FMA)? In Japan? Bones' employees wanted to satisfy everyone and I for one am not satisfied with their current work.
To sum up, they could have made anime that was almost 100% true to the manga. It would still have elements (dialogues, characters) that weren't in the manga first version of anime (or the other way round) only with better graphics (I didn't mention Hellsing OVA, NGE and DB:Kai without reason) . Also from what I remember Bones advertised FMA:B quite much, so they could release a trailer that would show some elements that were only in the manga and that way encourage people to wait and watch. Add to this interviews, where they would enounce ending wouldn't suck like it did in previous version of the anime and voila!

Edit:
I've noticed funny thing. I was being ridiculed for bashing first two episodes of FMA:B and writing that first 2 episodes of FMA 2003 were better and what I see? 71 people ALREADY voted and decided which series is better! My 2 eps vs. 2 eps in contrast to some people (and I wouldn't be surprised if Alzea, Kyelinn, AA battery voted here) 2 eps vs. 51 eps, lol.
P.S.
I didn't vote (unless "0 vote" can be considered as voting), it can be easily verified by admins.

--------------------
9 out of 10 connoisseurs recommend watching Kemono no Souja Erin.

+Quote Post
Alzea
post Apr 12 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #64

Alchemists

Member No.: 54,118

No, really, you want to argue with me so much, that you even PM me about your reply? It's amusing, really x]

I'm not cherishing FMA:B, I just gave it a huge credit of trust (I have no idea if ppl in english have got a phrase like this but I hope it's understandable) 'cause I believe they can do this right and all. Of course I'm enjoying it whenever I read it and I would probably watch episodes even if it'd be exactly the same as in the FMA1, but not everyone are like me or people who will watch everything what connects with FMA. Don't forget everything is about money, they want to get as many watchers as possible so they're trying to give us something new. I already said it, I think episode 2 could be better, it was just fine. I missed few thing from the manga which weren't here and probably won't be, but I still like it and I believe that it's going to improve with time. Think about it, we're lucky fans who have their favorite series animated, twice! Of course this doesn't mean we should take every cr@p which they're giving us, but this thing which they gave us is good. As I said earlier I won't make you like FMA:B but maybe you should put some trust in Bones and this new anime. wink.gif

Anyway, tell me, why so serious? You should loosen up a little. Everyone have got their own opinion about FMA:B so don't force each other to change it. I said what I wanted to, that's all from me. Remember, no one is attacking you here so don't be so serious, it's just fan-fan discussion^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
temmy
post Apr 12 2009, 01:27 PM
Post #65

Citizen

Member No.: 67,699

My thoughts so far:

FMA1 currently eradicates FMA2 in terms of storytelling. (Obviously not in terms of animation). The new series has no heart to it; it's just paying lip service, getting all the old stuff out of the way "because we have to" - which results in a horribly empty show. I mean, come on! Trisha had - what? - half a minute, a minute of screentime? The transitions in the second episode were horrible.

On the other hand, I do think FMA2 will be better - eventually, if only because the source material from the manga is so much better than the material from the first anime. That being said, the storywriters have to stop being lazy and start writing an actual story instead of worrying about ratings. Watching FMA2 right now is painful; it's like watching, say, that adaptation of The Golden Compass that came out a while back . . . Great source material, horrible storytelling. Well, I hope this series doesn't turn out to be a flash in the pan.

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post Apr 12 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #66

Apprentice

Member No.: 40,795

QUOTE (temmy @ Apr 12 2009, 04:27 PM) *
My thoughts so far:

FMA1 currently eradicates FMA2 in terms of storytelling. (Obviously not in terms of animation). The new series has no heart to it; it's just paying lip service, getting all the old stuff out of the way "because we have to" - which results in a horribly empty show. I mean, come on! Trisha had - what? - half a minute, a minute of screentime? The transitions in the second episode were horrible.

On the other hand, I do think FMA2 will be better - eventually, if only because the source material from the manga is so much better than the material from the first anime. That being said, the storywriters have to stop being lazy and start writing an actual story instead of worrying about ratings. Watching FMA2 right now is painful; it's like watching, say, that adaptation of The Golden Compass that came out a while back . . . Great source material, horrible storytelling. Well, I hope this series doesn't turn out to be a flash in the pan.

I hear what you're saying, Temmy. So much missed opportunity in these first two episodes. It feels like the story-tellers are emphasizing abstract plot movers (dog of the military, philosophers stone, 'witnessing hell') at the expense of character development. When you make a film, the first 15 minutes should be completely concerned with establishing characters and developing them into interesting, plot worthy individuals. The same principle holds true of a television show - just blasting off the launch pad full force with all kinds of abstract ideas can be really off-putting for new viewers. Not many people I know would watch these two episodes and go - SWEET: Alchemy, philosopher's stones, human transmutation!

With the first show, we had some great human drama steeped in religion and resurrection, brotherhood, friendship, bloodshed and sacrifice for the first 9 episodes. It was compelling narrative with an interesting backdrop. And really, that's the entire point of fantasy and science fiction: to present age-old themes in a new environment to make things fresh and create new insight into our own natures. FMA1 did this. FMA2 (so far), is just a bunch of alchemy related weirdness with a thin veneer of humanity.

FMA1 was great.

FMA2 was great fan-service, but that will quickly get old if the series doesn't start finding its own rhythm and narrative.

+Quote Post
Meitantei Conan
post Apr 13 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #67

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 42,299

so Far Imma go with Series 2. cause, I like the animation, and I like how its fitting with manga more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goral
post Apr 13 2009, 02:18 AM
Post #68

Citizen

Member No.: 59,458

QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 12 2009, 09:32 PM) *
No, really, you want to argue with me so much, that you even PM me about your reply? It's amusing, really x] (...)

Yep. I'm glad we're both having fun smile.gif. You've written sth so utterly stupid that I wanted to see your reply. Yes, "they had to make sth different to interest more people" is utterly stupid. Are you saying that today children are retarded and if they don't see tons of action, fireworks, colorful flashes of light they will drop series immediately? As for the repeatability
I've explained why I think you're wrong in my previous post. That kind of thinking is what makes anime, movie or game creators to release crappy products.
I would shut up long time ago if my opinion wasn't being ridiculed and since I like to argue that's just perfect for me biggrin.gif.

As I said earlier I won't make you like FMA:B but maybe you should put some trust in Bones and this new anime.

Trust !? What does it have to do with judging first two episodes? First two eps were crappy, even worse than most of later FMA 1 episodes and I certainly won't judge them with correction in mind - "it will be better so let's pretend it's awesome".

--------------------
9 out of 10 connoisseurs recommend watching Kemono no Souja Erin.

+Quote Post
Alzea
post Apr 13 2009, 03:15 AM
Post #69

Alchemists

Member No.: 54,118

Good God, do you know this discussion is pointless?
Did you really read what I wrote before?
Think about it, we're lucky fans who have their favorite series animated, twice! Of course this doesn't mean we should take every cr@p which they're giving us, but this thing which they gave us is good.
Yes! This! I'm not saying we should like everything what they're giving us, because it'd be just stupid, but hey, do you know some people like this new, first episodes? Some people like this pace and all...Yes! Some ppl like this thing! Get over it! In everything you will find persons who won't be satisfied, but it's everywhere. Someone always will be complainig.

You've got your point, I've got mine. You won't change your mind about it, neither will I, so it's pointless. I started this because you were bashing this all the time, you couldn't find anything good here. I just wanted to prove you it's not that bad.
I told you before - I liked first episode, as for a filler it was good, I enjoyed it. Second episode - I liked it too, but...No, go read my previous post in this topic and one in the topic about second episode, I already said it. I feel like you read only what you want, when I said I like this but (here goes things which I didn't like), you seem to read only 'I like' part and then you're saying I'm cherishing FMA:B

Trust? Yes, trust. Bones can make good anime, upcoming plot is great and I believe they can do a masterpiece out of it, so I trust them for now. You should try it too, really helps in life. You're bashing new series all the time, I just don't agree with you that it is a worthless cr@p and all. I didn't say it's so great and has no bad things, it has! But, darn, I'm still enjoying this and I simply don't think it's going to be bad and worse than FMA1, I'm happy because of what I have and I think it's going to be ok and improving with time.
I think you're continuing this because you want arguing so badly, I do not, so just end this here.

Summary of this discussion: You think it's terrible I thinks it's not, I think it'll be better when it'll come to events only from manga (for now), you just don't believe it can be good and better than FMA1.
EOT, have a nice day wink.gif

Edit:
Nah, Dearheart, I knew it! I really don't want to seem unfriendly and all, I hate fighting, especially when fighting is so pointless, like here. I just hate to repeat myself over and over again, it pisses me off so I might sound a little not nice. I'm sorry, I just wanted to end this stupid argument. I came here to meet some FMA fans too and have a good talk, not to make enemy or two. I really hope this discussion between me and Goral ends here, even if not, I'm not going to reply, it's not on my nerves.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Apr 13 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #70

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,903

...Um, wow. Unfriendly, much? blink.gif

You know, it's stuff like this that scared me away from posting when I first joined. I came here to have fun, meet fellow FMA fans and find some good discussion...not bashing and insults and spiteful sarcasm.

Please, break it up. Calm down. I don't mind a good, thoughtful disagreement, but I think we can all agree this is getting really out of hand. sad.gif

As for me, personally, I totally agree with temmy and His Name Is Unknown. The reason I liked the first series so much is because of the superb storytelling and the way they made you laugh and cry along with the characters. Everything felt so smooth and cinematic. (Not to mention the music was great. I still melt whenever I hear "Bratja".) biggrin.gif There was a lot of heart and depth in it, and the directing was great. I'm a very critical person when it comes to movies, TV shows, etc. If I like something, I like it for a reason...and as a newcomer to the anime genre, FMA impressed me in so many ways.

I know it's still very early to pass judgment on the new series. We do need to give it a fair chance to shine. But if I had seen this series first instead of the original one, I wouldn't be nearly as impressed. The art is amazing, and it's thrilling to see parts of the manga brought to life, but I'm not feeling the epicness of the story like I did with the first two episodes of FMA1. Whoever's doing the directing for this new FMA needs to shapen up a little bit, IMO. Everything feels so rushed and choppy.

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 13 2009, 11:55 AM
Post #71

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

QUOTE (Goral @ Apr 13 2009, 04:18 AM) *
No, really, you want to argue with me so much, that you even PM me about your reply? It's amusing, really x] (...)

Yep. I'm glad we're both having fun smile.gif. You've written sth so utterly stupid that I wanted to see your reply. Yes, "they had to make sth different to interest more people" is utterly stupid. Are you saying that today children are retarded and if they don't see tons of action, fireworks, colorful flashes of light they will drop series immediately? As for the repeatability
I've explained why I think you're wrong in my previous post. That kind of thinking is what makes anime, movie or game creators to release crappy products.
I would shut up long time ago if my opinion wasn't being ridiculed and since I like to argue that's just perfect for me biggrin.gif.

As I said earlier I won't make you like FMA:B but maybe you should put some trust in Bones and this new anime.

Trust !? What does it have to do with judging first two episodes? First two eps were crappy, even worse than most of later FMA 1 episodes and I certainly won't judge them with correction in mind - "it will be better so let's pretend it's awesome".

I'm sorry Goral, but what the heck is with you being so cruel to people on here? Your no more newer than I am (though I used to have an account on here ages ago that got lost for some reason), so really there's no excuse for you to be starting such meaningless arguments, even going as far as to PMing people just so you can argue with them. That's just low. You've got a real attitude problem you seriously need to get over.

Just as Dearheart said, I absolutely loved the first series. It was very angst-ridden and had moments that made you laugh and cry along with the characters. It was well written, up until the end. They just ruined the ending with that damn movie. As much as I loved the first series, I love the manga that much more. I just prefer it's story overall. There have only been two episodes released thus far in regards to the new anime. I feel it's still too early to be the judge on which will be the better anime.

Off-topic for a second, but Dearheart, where did you get that image of Ed in your siggy? That is gorgeous. He looks so tranquil.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 13 2009, 12:13 PM
Post #72

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Ok, I'm declaring this round of "argument" to be officially over.

Any subsequent posts using the quotes (or even just referencing without quotes) from posts in this round of "argument" (post #63 through #71 on this thread, and post #22 through #33 on FMA series-2, episode 2 discussion thread) may be "voided" in some way...a.k.a. asked to edit, etc.

Anyone who would like to discuss this topic have to start fresh, and I ask you to construct your case without attacking other posters or resorting to name calling.

ETA: In response to the poll question confusing, I edited to make them more straight forward.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Apr 13 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #73

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,903

Thank you, Tombow. You're a wonderful moderator and we appreciate you. smile.gif I'm a little confused, though. Does this mean we can't talk about season 1 vs. season 2 anymore, or that we just have to leave Goral and Alzea's fight alone now, or what? Sorry, I just want to be sure about what we can and can't talk about now.

Kyelinn (such a pretty name)... smile.gif

Just as Dearheart said, I absolutely loved the first series. It was very angst-ridden and had moments that made you laugh and cry along with the characters. It was well written, up until the end. They just ruined the ending with that damn movie. As much as I loved the first series, I love the manga that much more. I just prefer it's story overall.

Same here. I love both the anime and the manga for different reasons. I think they both have strengths and weaknesses and they both compliment each other. I love the anime for it's smooth storytelling and the cinematic quality of of it. And I love the manga because the story is stronger and the characters are more developed.

Off-topic for a second, but Dearheart, where did you get that image of Ed in your siggy? That is gorgeous. He looks so tranquil.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! biggrin.gif Here's a link to the story behind it:

http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...i&img=21422

When you get to the image, just scroll down and read the description.

Okay, back to the topic! angel_not.gif

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 13 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #74

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Dearheart - No, no, I think "series-1 vs series-2" is a very interesting topic, and I hope everyone would feel comfortable to post and discuss this topic, despite the recent round of "argument." And, thank you for your compliment, and thank you for asking for the clarification so that I get the chance to clarify it further. ^^

Everyone, please feel free to go on with "series-1 vs series-2" discussions.
But, please stop continuing the round of discussion/argument that was on post #63 through #71 on this thread and post #22 through #33 on FMA series-2, episode 2 discussion thread.
(You can see the post # at the top right corner of each post. smile.gif )

If you would like to post some opinion on the topic that happen to be similar to some of the topic discussions that were posted on some of these posts that would be fine, but you have to start a fresh post, not as a continuation of the said round of argument, but a fresh posting of opinion of your own, and without referencing to any of the content on these posts. ..and please stick to the discussion on the topic content & without resorting to name calling or attacking of other posters. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 13 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #75

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

I'm sorry, Tombow ^^; I wasn't meaning to add fuel to the fire. It just upset me that there was so much unkindness, rudeness and name-calling going around when it came to other people's opinions...

Ah, thank you Dearheart! That picture is awesome! I do love how you have it in your siggy. biggrin.gif So pretty!

And yes, back on topic. As I said previously, I think it's still too early to judge which series is going to be the best. There is still so much story for them to tell manga-wise, I still feel they're rushing the beginning bits a bit because it's almost identical to the beginning of the first anime, give or take a few things, ergo EdxWinry moments, the difference in the Nina story and the Lab 5 incident as well as Lior. I think once we get past all that, things will start slowing down because the manga begins it's change quite dramatically and I think we can expect to see one hell of an anime! biggrin.gif

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 02:34 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css