Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Dragon Ball, Latter part is called Dragon Ball Z (DBZ) in English version
Gashole
post Nov 5 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #1

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 685

Yeah, yeah, DBZ has turned off many people, but that's the anime, not the manga. The manga is just awesome. cool.gif

Anyway, I just reread it and it occurred to me what a genius Kulilin is. In fighting, 1) he's one of the firsts of the main heroes who learns how to fly, 2) he invents many interesting forms of fireballs. Don't know the exact names, but there's one where his fireballs keep following the enemy (Piccolo), there's another where his fireballs kill almost all of the weird-alien-looking creatures Nappa planted, and finally there's the disk that cuts through a mountain and would've killed Nappa had Vegeta not yelled at him. Outside the battlefield, 1) he's the one who comes up with the idea of going to Namek and 2) figures out there must be another Saiyan spaceship they can use to go there.

When asked who my DBZ favorite character is, I'd usually say Gohan, but apparently that's not gonna be the case from now on. biggrin.gif
Too bad as a kid Kulilin was very arrogant. And later on (during the Bhu saga) that personality reemerges. Otherwise he's the best. tongue.gif

(Source: MangaFox)

Years of Released: 1984
Author: Toriyama Akira
Artist: Toriyama Akira
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Sci-fi, Shounen, Supernatural

Summary
The genius Bulma, while searching for the Dragon Balls which can grant any wish, meets a simple minded little boy with a strange monkey tail, Son Goku. Together, they meet many people and many foes in their adventure chasing after the Dragon Balls, with Son Goku progressively learning to be the best fighter.

Dragon Ball is loosely based on the Chinese story Saiyuki (Journey to the West) : for example, the main character is based on Son Goku the monkey king.

---

(Source: Wiki, Dragon Ball)

Dragon Ball is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Akira Toriyama. It was originally serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump from 1984 through 1995; later the 519 individual chapters were published into 42 tankōbon volumes by Shueisha. Dragon Ball was inspired by the Chinese folk novel Journey to the West. It follows the adventures of Son Goku from his childhood through adulthood as he trains in martial arts and explores the world in search of the seven mystical objects known as the Dragon Balls, which can summon a wish-granting dragon when gathered. Along his journey, Goku makes several friends and battles a wide variety of villains, many of whom also seek the Dragon Balls for their own desires.

Since its release, Dragon Ball has become one of the most popular manga series of its time in both Japan and North America. It enjoys a high readership, with over 150 million volumes of the series sold by 2007. Reviewers have praised the art, characterization, and humor of the story. Several manga artists have noted that the manga series was the inspiration for their own now popular works, including Naruto and One Piece.

Plot summary
The series begins with a monkey-tailed boy named Goku befriending a teenage girl named Bulma, and together they go on a quest to find the seven magic Dragon Balls. Along the way, they meet and befriend a plethora of martial artists. Goku also undergoes rigorous training regimes and educational programs in order to fight in the World Martial Arts Tournament, a competition involving the most powerful fighters- in the world. Outside the tournaments, Goku faces diverse villains such as Emperor Pilaf, the Red Ribbon Army, the namekian Piccolo Daimao and his offspring Piccolo Jr., who eventually becomes Goku's ally.

As a young man, Goku meets his older brother Raditz, who tells him that they come from a race of extraterrestrials called Saiyans. The Saiyans had sent Goku to Earth as an infant to conquer the planet for them, but he suffered a severe head injury soon after his arrival and lost all memory of his mission. Goku refuses to help Raditz continue the mission, after which he begins to encounter other enemies from space, most notably the Saiyan prince Vegeta, who becomes his rival due to Vegeta's ambitious desire to surpass Goku in strength, though in the procees, he eventually becomes Goku's ally as well. He also encounters Frieza, the galactic tyrant responsible for the destruction of the Saiyan race, whose actions cause Goku to transform into a mighty Super Saiyan. After an epic battle on the planet Namek, Goku defeats Frieza, avenging the lives of billions across the universe.

Four years later, a group of androids from the former Red Ribbon Army appear, seeking revenge against Goku. During this time, an evil life form called Cell emerges and, after absorbing two of the androids to increase his power, holds his own martial arts tournament to decide the fate of the Earth, but is eventually defeated by Goku's first child Son Gohan. Seven years later, Goku is drawn into another battle for the universe against a magical monster named Majin Buu. Joined by Vegeta and Gohan, Goku succeeds in destroying the evil half of Buu and the good half of Buu settles down with them. Ten years later, at another World Martial Arts Tournament, Goku meets the evil Buu's human reincarnation, Uub. At the end of the series, Goku takes Uub away on a journey to train him as the Earth's next defender.

Reason for edit: Description and info added by Mod
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Gashole   Dragon Ball   Nov 5 2004, 07:43 PM
- - Cloud28   i agree, the manga of DBZ is much better than the ...   Nov 6 2004, 01:51 PM
- - Kasumi   You know, Gashole, I would've never noticed al...   Nov 6 2004, 02:04 PM
- - Gashole   I just remembered that he is also the strongest hu...   Nov 6 2004, 07:22 PM
- - Kasumi   I don't know about that... Tien might be stron...   Nov 6 2004, 07:29 PM
- - Gashole   No, near the end when of the series (when Gohan is...   Nov 6 2004, 07:51 PM
- - Kasumi   Hm...Good point! And I just realized how spec...   Nov 6 2004, 08:00 PM
- - Kihaku   Well.... the manga is actually called just Dragon ...   Nov 7 2004, 09:07 AM
- - Kasumi   No, the manga was called DBZ. Actually, it was bot...   Nov 7 2004, 09:40 AM
- - Kihaku   No, no, no... it's the anime that was divided...   Nov 7 2004, 10:22 AM
- - Kasumi   Wait, I'm not sure if I catch what you're ...   Nov 7 2004, 12:08 PM
- - Gashole   Really? I don't have my DB manga with me (the ...   Nov 7 2004, 05:06 PM
- - Kasumi   When and where did Goku first learn to fly? It sho...   Nov 7 2004, 05:34 PM
- - Kihaku   I don't know about most translations, but the ...   Nov 8 2004, 06:24 AM
- - Kakashi   A regular comic book store or a book store(like In...   May 19 2005, 03:58 PM
- - silver bg   i got mine form waldenbooks   May 19 2005, 05:08 PM
|- - «°~Envy™~°»   QUOTE(silver bg @ May 19 2005, 04:08 PM)i got...   May 21 2005, 03:46 AM
- - Kihaku   I think there is already a thread on this. *sighs*...   May 20 2005, 04:36 AM
- - Vigilante   Im a huge fan of the Dragonball manga(especially p...   Jun 28 2005, 11:25 AM
- - Legendary Super Saiyan Broly   DBZ is the best, its influenced many other animes/...   Sep 6 2006, 08:30 PM
- - The Fullninja Alchemist   Dbz was my very first Manga...and then Fullmetal c...   Dec 8 2006, 09:52 PM
- - Amol   DBZ gets tooo confusing .... they stretched it too...   Dec 8 2006, 11:37 PM
- - armor-alchemist   I just recently (few days ago) reread the whole Dr...   Dec 15 2006, 12:44 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 11:33 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css