HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chapter 85 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others), No future chapter spoilers here, please. :)
Sensenic
post Jul 14 2008, 08:45 AM
Post #61

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,694

QUOTE(Sannom @ Jul 13 2008, 01:24 AM) *
Oh it was already told at the summary... u.u
You shouldn't read those things, they take away all the surprises and fun.

Yeah, two weeks before I wasn't really concerned about being spoiled, even if I tried not to spoil others. Since then, I was spoiled the 13th episode of Code Geass R2 two weeks before it aired and I have been completely "vaccinated". No spoilers for me, and I'm now especially cautious about spoilers I give myself!

Guess that's what they call a "Shock Therapy", hohohoho. tongue.gif

I'm a weird case. I'm a very spoiler-liking person, when it's sth I don't follow, or am a little curious about, for example, a game I like but that I won't be playing anytime soon, or an anime I probably won't be watching. In these cases I have no problem spoiling myself to fill my curiosity. An example would be precisely Code Geass' Euphemia's scene. If you've seen it, guess you know which one. wink.gif

But if it's sth I'm following or certainly have the intention to read/play/watch... then spoilers zero, dun want even the slightest hint. _
happy.gif;
(for example, with this one it was impossible not to get spoiled... but I think The 6th Sense would have been even much more shocking if we hadn't known that the kid sees dead people's ghosts. I mean, he doesn't say it until about half the movie!! Damn trailers)

But I digress a lot, uh...
Gonna stop using the tags, since it's all out now.

QUOTE(Sannom @ Jul 13 2008, 01:24 AM) *
Spoilers chapter 85 :

That'd give the chapter title a double meaning... Not only Amestris without either of the Bradleys is an "empty box", but Al's armor is too (even if currently is full of Pride, hahaha

I'm not the only one that thinks that Bradley won't disappear that way, I hope? I mean, for the weak, hot-blooded and mostly ineffective Envy, the fact that he was defeated so quickly is understandable. But Wrath? The foe that nobody has actually succeed to simply touch? Don't think so!

Quite obviously good ol' Wrath isn't going to go that easily... He'll be back no doubt.

But it would be a real shocker, a real "joke's on the reader", if Arakawa had really killed him. Hey, real life does have unexpected plan-breaking accidents and sudden deaths (and country leaders murder plots too happy.gif; ), deaths aren't always "climatic".

QUOTE(jacksparrow589 @ Jul 13 2008, 02:34 AM) *
GAH! Al! NO! Sensenic- I hope your theory is right! I really want Al back! But wouldn't that mean opening the Gate, too? How do we propose this happens without loss? Do we even propose that at all? With the way things have been going, I am seeing some huge sacrifice to get Al back. This is one of those times I hate equivalent exchange.

I guess nothing was needed to open the Doors to put Al back in because he's just returning to where he belongs in the first place. The armor just rejected him and his body would have "pulled the proverbial string".
Of course to get him back out, they'll have to open the Doors... but that much I think we've always known it has to happen in the end, sooner or later.
What will the toll be? Figures... ph34r.gif

Then again, maybe not, this just a theory, maybe Al's soul's still in the armor, but just not in control of it.

QUOTE(AA battery @ Jul 13 2008, 03:20 PM) *
@Sensenic: *hands you a leek too*

XD

Oh, and:
Thanks a lot for the raw, paca!! ^o^
I forgot last post. >.<
Credit is given...

--------------------
貧乳神・・・
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HisshouBuraiKen
post Jul 14 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #62

Apprentice

Member No.: 40,851

QUOTE(Gukumatz @ Jul 13 2008, 11:45 PM) *
LOL @ HisshouBuraiKen for using a Bushism in the translation ("I'm the decider"). That made me giggle.

Yeah, I couldn't resist biggrin.gif

SCAN IS OUT - Thanks to helz0ne scans!
http://www.mediafire.com/?zwmwjqry4gw

I'll be nice and link to their forum too - more mirrors there - http://helz0ne.zone-anime.com/index.php?topic=64.0

Completely unrelated note - If you're going to Otakon next month, look for me and say hi! I'll be dressed as Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes.

+Quote Post
jacksparrow589
post Jul 14 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #63

Special Ops (Piratical Gallery Enforcement)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 48,158

HisshouBuraiKen- Nice translation! Reading it with the pictures makes even more sense!

On that note, I made some sort of comment about Olivier and Father earlier. NOW I get it-- she's freaking out because he's there, which could potentially be... very bad, to say the least.

Now, that makes me wonder if Bradley really did bite the dust was possibly absorbed by Father (along with all the people in the car) as an energy source for the coming battle, or something like that. A last-minute hostage situation or something, maybe? You know, "You can either make so-and-so a homunculus or watch them die." I don't think that would happen (or if it was offered, the offer wouldn't be taken up), but you never know. What would happen if that was the trade to bring Al back? I'm getting myself all worked up over this now! I wanna know how it ends!

About Bradley potentially dying: Wasn't there something that said how all the sins were supposed to die, though? I remember seeing something like that... over a year ago. Wow. Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about? Like how it said Lust was supposed to die in flames or something? Anybody? I'd really like to know how that is supposed to work.

EDIT (Didn't feel like putting this in it's own post.): Thank you, Causmicfire and Gukumatz for the references! The curiousity is no longer killing me!

--------------------

Credit goes to Causmicfire for my avatar

The Royai Day party might be over, but the fun never stops!
Royai Day 2011 Album
Thank you to all those who contributed!

+Quote Post
Causmicfire
post Jul 14 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 49,283

Wow great chapter. I wonder why Bradley would overlook leaving Riza iwthout someone to keep an eye on her, kind of defeats the whole pupose of taking her as a hostage of sorts in the first place.

At first I thought Hakuro was in on it, but I guess not.

Thanks for the translations Tombow and HisshouBuraiKen!

@J.S. Deadly Sins and their punishments...I think they also have the virtues on the site somewhere. Yeah, Wrath is supposed to be dismembered alive, which is why I keep waiting for a sword fight between Bradley and Olivier, though ever since the chapter where Greed turned and fought with Bradley, I've been thinking he may be the one to fight with himin the end.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CodenameElizabet...
post Jul 14 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #65

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 41,714

MOAR SCANTALATIONS. FTW.
(In case you dont want to d/l. I feel guilty d/ling...)

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/85/

--------------------

BONES SHIPS ROIAI. (We have Proof.)

+Quote Post
Gukumatz
post Jul 14 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #66

Citizen

Member No.: 45,648

QUOTE(Dhazard06 @ Jul 14 2008, 06:30 AM) *
QUOTE(Gukumatz @ Jul 13 2008, 08:45 PM) *
Hey - did people notice that on page 37, in the middle panels, it looks like Greed might have been slipping into Ling momentarily? (Look at the hair.) Also maybe p. 28 (we see Ling's eye). And p. 26, when Greedling first talks to Hohopapa?

No, the only time Ling shifted place with Greed was when he noticed that it was not Alphonse who were talking (page 41) - remember that Ling could distinguish Envy even though he tried many disguises (chapter 38). The way Arakawa uses to distinguish both is the use of katakana by the end of Ling's speech.

Is that so! Whoa, thanks! I've been trying to learn to recognize kana from the raws (and maybe recognize short and common words and exclamations that I've learned to recognize from anime-watching). I noticed shifts between hiragana and katakana throughout people's speeches, but usually they were mixed up and so I didn't think anything of it.

Greedling uses katakana at the end of his first speech bubble on p.26, when he says "boss." Is that just because it's a word borrowed from English? His other speech bubbles in p.26 end in hiragana.

...And, just a quick browse of his other speech bubbles... oh yeah, they all end in hiragana.

...And taking a look at ch. 84 and 83 raws. OH MY GOODNESS, YOU'RE RIGHT. Especially ch. 83, where Ling and Greed switch around a lot. Whoa, Ling's speech bubbles all end in katakana, and Greed's in hiragana.

I'll be paying attention to this in future chapters. It's cool.

QUOTE(jacksparrow589 @ Jul 14 2008, 01:48 PM) *
About Bradley potentially dying: Wasn't there something that said how all the sins were supposed to die, though? I remember seeing something like that... over a year ago. Wow. Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about? Like how it said Lust was supposed to die in flames or something? Anybody? I'd really like to know how that is supposed to work.

CausmicFire posted a site. Here's another:
http://velcro-soul.awardspace.com/research...earchindex.html

Wrath's punishment is being dismembered alive. Maybe being exploded is similar?

I don't think he's dead either, though. We're probably going to see him swimming out of the water with weeds in his hair, looking furious in ch. 86. Maybe later. Arakawa might make us wait. I'll probably happen, though (an angry!Wrath close up). I can imagine it now.

--------------------
-Gukumatz
[ LJ | Song translations | Icon ]

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Jul 14 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #67

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

Roy and Oliver= ttly boning, Y/Y?

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Jul 14 2008, 06:32 PM
Post #68

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

WOW good chapter!

OMG Hoho...that was so touching. Him and Ed crack me up, too XD

Poor Al, though...I wonder if everyone's theories about his soul already being gone are correct. I guess now we know that Pride can immitate voices perfectly or something LOL

Bradley's definitely not dead. I've been anticipating a fight between either him and GreedLing or him and Olivia for a while. I think it's more likely that GreedLing will try if Ling's in charge since Greed already did and failed...but Arakawa always prooves me wrong.

Olivia and Roy bug me when they're together.

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Little Fixster
post Jul 14 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #69

Citizen

Member No.: 54,487

wow this chapter is...wow...

um...

I am reminded once again why I love this manga.

EDIT:
btw, when did ed loose his coat in the first place? Did he ditch it so it would be harder for others to find him?

I really hope Ed's soul hasn't been disconnected from his armour, but then again, it's not really where his soul belongs. I just worry that if his soul isn't attached to something in the FMA world that that would mean he would just be dead. Maybe I assumed too much there...
But I was thinking it was one of those instances like in chapter 26 pg 38, where just the armour is being controlled, like Pride is possessing the armour if that makes sense...

The fuhrer couldn't possibly be dead. I would be extremely surprised if their assassination attempt actually worked.
I'm rooting for a fuhrer-greedling fight. I love swordfights...

And Ed really should TRY to show a little forgiveness to his dad...

I think it's time for me to expand my fma collection at home. I think I have three volumes right now. Might even just be two. Hey, I only work during the summer and gas is expensive...

+Quote Post
Becca-chan
post Jul 15 2008, 03:02 AM
Post #70

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,345

I'm just going to end up repeating what quite a few people have already said concerning the youngest Elric brother in this chapter but.....Noooooo Alphonse! ;_;

Seriously, that was one heck of a shock at the ending right there. O.o ( you should of heard my reaction the day I read it, it's amazing how many no's a person can fit into their sentence when freaked out enough ^^; )

But with any luck, Al's soul might not of been in the armour when Pride took over and if he was, darn...brotherly love is going to have to kick in big-time if Al is to regain control of his own armour again.

It's nice to see Breda and Fuery back in Central too...Fuery looks a little worse for wear though, although given where he *was* I think that's understandable.

Looking at the whole scene with Olivier and Roy...erm...yeah, although I personally think Roy's finding the whole rejection thing from Olivier completely hilarious. XD

I kind of hope Wrath ( I still have problems calling Bradley that ^^;; ) isn't dead either, surely he's to have a much bigger purpose rather than getting blown up by a train.

And I felt so sorry for Hohenheim when he broke down into tears like that, why can't Edward see that his father did love his mother?
I also agree with the chimera's on this one! I think a certain teenager needs some compassion lessons towards his father. .

Anyway, this was an excellent chapter...things really look like they're picking up now. ^^

And also, thank you so much to paca, Aizen and AA Battery for the RAWs, Tombow and HisshouBuraiKen for the transalations and CodenameElizabeth for links to the scanlations too!

--------------------
Becca-chan; Your local Tucker addict...I am 100% sane, I swear! O.O;

+Quote Post
Dhazard06
post Jul 15 2008, 05:33 AM
Post #71

Citizen

Member No.: 42,990

QUOTE(Gukumatz @ Jul 14 2008, 05:21 PM) *
Is that so! Whoa, thanks! I've been trying to learn to recognize kana from the raws (and maybe recognize short and common words and exclamations that I've learned to recognize from anime-watching). I noticed shifts between hiragana and katakana throughout people's speeches, but usually they were mixed up and so I didn't think anything of it.

Greedling uses katakana at the end of his first speech bubble on p.26, when he says "boss." Is that just because it's a word borrowed from English? His other speech bubbles in p.26 end in hiragana.

...And, just a quick browse of his other speech bubbles... oh yeah, they all end in hiragana.

...And taking a look at ch. 84 and 83 raws. OH MY GOODNESS, YOU'RE RIGHT. Especially ch. 83, where Ling and Greed switch around a lot. Whoa, Ling's speech bubbles all end in katakana, and Greed's in hiragana.

I'll be paying attention to this in future chapters. It's cool.

Not only Ling, but also May Chang, Ran Fan and Fu (all foreign people) finish their speech with a single katakana. In this specifically case that you mentioned, I just figured out that it was not Ling bc of all the other sentences displaying hiragana at the end of them and, just like you said, because "boss" is a word borrowed from English happy.gif
Seems that Arakawa planned it all along to help the readers make out who is in charge of Ling's body.

+Quote Post
Sensenic
post Jul 15 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #72

QUOTE(Dhazard06 @ Jul 15 2008, 02:33 PM) *
Not only Ling, but also May Chang, Ran Fan and Fu (all foreign people) finish their speech with a single katakana. In this specifically case that you mentioned, I just figured out that it was not Ling bc of all the other sentences displaying hiragana at the end of them and, just like you said, because "boss" is a word borrowed from English happy.gif
Seems that Arakawa planned it all along to help the readers make out who is in charge of Ling's body.

Not quite, it's rather a trick to accentuate their foreign accent, that they're speaking a language that's not their own. When they do speak in Xingese, the sentences are written horizontally (or different font, in some scanlators' cases) and they're normal, don't have any katakana in the end whatsoever.

And I've seen this trick somewhere else (I remember because I thought "hey, like Ling!" XD ), but not where happy.gif;
I believe it's a rather common practice, not Arakawa's own idea... But I can't tell for sure.

--------------------
貧乳神・・・

+Quote Post
Dhazard06
post Jul 15 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #73

Citizen

Member No.: 42,990

QUOTE(Sensenic @ Jul 15 2008, 02:47 PM) *
Not quite, it's rather a trick to accentuate their foreign accent, that they're speaking a language that's not their own. When they do speak in Xingese, the sentences are written horizontally (or different font, in some scanlators' cases) and they're normal, don't have any katakana in the end whatsoever.

Not quite? Hmm where did I say otherwise in my reply? In fact, I implied it ('foreign ppl') - I thought anyone could notice that is because of their accent.

And I've seen this trick somewhere else (I remember because I thought "hey, like Ling!" XD ), but not where happy.gif;
I believe it's a rather common practice, not Arakawa's own idea... But I can't tell for sure.

I just said that she PLANNED it all along, meaning that she thought of transforming one of the Xingese ppl - who were looking for immortality - into a homunculus: bc of their accent - the use of katakana by the end of their sentences - it would help differing who is in charge. Sorry if I did not make myself clear enough before.

+Quote Post
Gukumatz
post Jul 15 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #74

Citizen

Member No.: 45,648

QUOTE(Dhazard06 @ Jul 15 2008, 02:33 PM) *

And I've seen this trick somewhere else (I remember because I thought "hey, like Ling!" XD ), but not where happy.gif ;

Thanks Dhazard06 and Sensenic. I don't know anything, so all the things you point out to me are really useful.

I thought I remembered shadow!Pride using katakana in the cave under Briggs, so I went to look (ch.68), but I didn't see any. I could have sworn that I saw Pride's sound effects (zuzuzuzu, zozozozo, etc.) in katakana at one point. I thought Arakawa had done it on purpose to make Pride more menacing, but now I think I was mistaken.

--------------------
-Gukumatz
[ LJ | Song translations | Icon ]

+Quote Post
Sensenic
post Jul 16 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #75

QUOTE(Dhazard06 @ Jul 16 2008, 03:33 AM) *

Not quite? Hmm where did I say otherwise in my reply? In fact, I implied it ('foreign ppl') - I thought anyone could notice that is because of their accent.

I just said that she PLANNED it all along, meaning that she thought of transforming one of the Xingese ppl - who were looking for immortality - into a homunculus: bc of their accent - the use of katakana by the end of their sentences - it would help differing who is in charge. Sorry if I did not make myself clear enough before.

Oh, ok, I thought you meant that she had made up this gimmick and given it to them purposefully for the future easy telling on who's the one talking.
Sorry for correcting you when there was no need. happy.gif;

And now that you say it... Yes it could be, that she decided to make them foreigners with that idea in mind... I don't think so, but of course at this point it's all pure especulation and we can't know for sure.
I do agree, though, in that it's pretty clear she intended for Ling to become Greed from the beginning, yes.

--------------------
貧乳神・・・

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2016 - 06:11 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css