HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chapter 75 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others), No future chapter spoilers here, please. :)
His Name is Unkn...
post Sep 11 2007, 08:47 AM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,795

First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 75 here. smile.gif

For info on the "Reading Reference", go to page 7.

==========================

~ Chapter 75 Preview, ..."The Last Days of Xerxes"... ~

Hey everyone! I happened across this preview while searching for information on the new chapter:

http://community.livejournal.com/hagaren_manga/248132.html

It looks like this may finally be the revelation of what happened to Xerxes! At the very least, we'll be getting some more background on Hoho, which is never a bad thing!!! happy.gif

Oh, and Chapter 75 should be out tomorrow for those still wondering...

Forchapter 75 summary from Japanese site & translated by Tombow, please scroll down to my post at the bottom of this page. ^^

<Last edited by Michiyo- on Nov. 6, 2011>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fuyu
post Sep 11 2007, 08:53 AM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 48,280

I know it's been said a hundred gazillion times before, but ACK Hoho looks sooooooo much like Ed! [Ed: I do NOT!!!]

Can't wait for tomorrow! Heeheeheeeeee...

Thanks, His Name Is Unknown! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post Sep 11 2007, 09:04 AM
Post #3

Apprentice

No problem! biggrin.gif

I wonder what the deal is with Hohenheim's master - he is being hidden from the reader either because he is totally insignificant and is just there to explain Hoho's occupation or he has lasting significance on the Hoho/Father/Pride mystery which continues to develop.

Considering this is Arakawa's manga we're talking about here, I'd guess he will turn out to be quite important - in the previous chapter we did see the back view of a man wearing an outfit suspiciously reminiscent of Father's attire; perhaps the master is the lookalike?

I can feel the tension building! I need this chapter immediately!!!

+Quote Post
paca
post Sep 11 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 34,936

Chapter 75 is already out in Japan

The Last Days of Xerxes

--------------------
......if you continue to wish with that strength, the dream will become reality.........

+Quote Post
CodenameElizabet...
post Sep 11 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #5

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 41,714

AHHH! <3

It is SOOOOO starting out the way I hoped it would!

More young!Hoho FTW!!
(Also hoping for moar Olivia-in-Central action...)

--------------------

BONES SHIPS ROIAI. (We have Proof.)

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Sep 11 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

It looks cool. I can't wait to learn more about Hohenheim!

Not to sound negative, but I hope the current story will still move forward. I'm not sure I'd like three months (chapters) of Xerxes.

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
Alchemical
post Sep 11 2007, 12:51 PM
Post #7

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 44,852

Yay, more young!Hoho! I think he's more interesting than his older counterpart.

But I agree with Animeoldtimer. I don't want two or three months of just Xerxes!story line.

+Quote Post
CodenameElizabet...
post Sep 11 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #8

State Alchemist (Major)

Yeah. I feel you re: the Xerxes story-arc.

The Isval thing really DID drag on a bit... lots of pertinant info and character development, tho I think it could have been done in fewer chapters.

--------------------

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post Sep 11 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #9

Apprentice

Judging by the way Arakawa handled the introduction of young Hoho and the Xerxes flashback - namely, weaving their appearances in with the current storyline to enhance emotion and reveal new information - I don't think we'll be getting the remainder of the Xerxes arc as an isolated narrative.

The main reason Ishbal was presented in linear fashion is because it was being told as a story - through the eyes of Riza as she explained her role to Edward, and also through Marco as he revealed the details of Isbal to Scar.

To devote two or three chapters exclusively to Xerxes at this point in the narrative would be terrible pacing. Furthermore, I feel that Arakawa will continue the trend she began in chapter 74 by meshing the two plots to build tension and further accelerate the overall story to its climax.

+Quote Post
ehxhfdl14
post Sep 11 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #10

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 45,709

Of course biggrin.gif moving back and forth from Xerxes to present is the most probable guess of how Arakawa-sensei would handle the situation, I think.

--------------------
We have met the enemy, and he is us.
-Walt Kelly, Pogo

+Quote Post
Triss Hawkeye
post Sep 11 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #11

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,067

Mind, I think we are all eager to find out exactly what happened back at Xerxes. Young Hoho looks so handsome and really like Ed! ^^

--------------------
"You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
~C.S. Lewis~

+Quote Post
CodenameElizabet...
post Sep 11 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #12

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE(Triss Hawkeye @ Sep 11 2007, 04:53 PM) *
Young Hoho looks so handsome and really like Ed! ^^

I KNOW. It completely blew my mind.

Arakawa made the resemblance very obvious, while still giving the two characters significantly different designs. She kept Ed's eyes, and Hoho's hairstyle to some extent-- all while making young!Hoho look like he's led a rough lifestyle. He's gaunt and a bit rough around the edges, if ya know what I mean.

Arakawa is a brilliant character designer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
paca
post Sep 11 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #13

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 34,936

I can't find the raw D:!

From http://community.livejournal.com/hagaren_manga/248132.html, translation of first page chapter 75:

"Not just writing and reading, but I've thrown in a little alchemy as well master." (guessing the master is the guy we can't see grabbing his collar....)
"How about making me your assistant?"

(he's quoting what he's reading)
"Everything comes from the one and everything returns to the one" (think of the one as nothing... or the unified everything... or ... something like that...)

"In other words, the one is everything."
"Everything starts from the one and so everything is within the one"

--------------------
......if you continue to wish with that strength, the dream will become reality.........

+Quote Post
Alchemical
post Sep 11 2007, 02:38 PM
Post #14

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 44,852

QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Sep 11 2007, 04:56 PM) *
I KNOW. It completely blew my mind.

Arakawa made the resemblance very obvious, while still giving the two characters significantly different designs. She kept Ed's eyes, and Hoho's hairstyle to some extent-- all while making young!Hoho look like he's led a rough lifestyle. He's gaunt and a bit rough around the edges, if ya know what I mean.

Arakawa is a brilliant character designer.

Exactly what I told my friends. Arakawa-sensei is a brilliant character designer.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Sep 11 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #15

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Thank you, His Name is Unknown and Paca!!!
Ohhh!! I get the goosebumps reading this!!

My quick translations of the summary of chapter 75 from Japanese sites Paca has posted:

Chapter 75 summary: "The Last Days of Xerxes"

Hoho teaches Math and Literature to other slaves. One day his master finds out about it.
The master scolds Hoho, but Hoho asks his master to make him his assistant.

Some time has past, Hoho is now a young man. He is having better life as the assistant to his master, and learning more about Alchemy. Homunculus tells Hoho his wish to get out of the flask. If it gets out of the flask it will die.

Hoho's master with Homunculus are summoned to the castle to audience the Xerxes king. Hoho stays behind.
What the king asked to the Homunclus was about getting the immortal life. Homunculus grins.
It looks down on the king's wish for the immortality, but teaches him how to achieve it.

Huge construction project has begun. Water canals throughout the country. People of Xerxes praise the king. People are excited and very happy about the new water ways. Though, the laborers of the construction sites stay cool.

One night, people in one Xerxes village awaken to huge noises. They go outside to find the village is on fire, and the village populations are being murdered. Ones who were playing construction workers, they are the ones murdering the village people. They are holding a drawing of transmutation circle for the Philosopher's Stone, with the marks on each of Five points.

Hoho hears the news that everyone in the Northern village of Botus (spelling??) has been murdered. The Homunculus grins.
The king is inside the old Xerxes ruin, standing in front of the wall drawing of transmutation circle for the Philosopher's Stone. King: "Hurry, soon, soon.."

Time passed. The king is further aged and now ill. The canals (transmutation circle) are finally completed.
The ceremony to make the king "immortal" has begun inside the old Xerxes ruin, in front of the wall drawing of transmutation circle for the Philosopher's Stone.
Attending the ceremony is Hoho, aged now and he looks as old as the current day Hoho. He is holding Homunculus in the flask.

Hoho knows nothing. He is innocently amazed: "Amazing!! Our king will become immortal!!"
The king cuts his finger, and his blood drips down.

Then it begun. Numerous black hands come up from the ground.
Hoho: "What!!??" His master is down, people are down, horses are down, they are all being killed. The king who was assured by Homunculus that no harm would reach him, gets killed also.

Hoho: "What!!?? What is happening!!??" "Homunclus, what have you done??!!"
Homunculus: "The true center of the transmutation circle is where you and I are standing, right here." "I used your blood that was in me to open the Gate. Hohenheim, my blood family, we are at the center of everything."

Underneath Hoho's foot, a gigantic eye of the "Truth" appears. Throughout the country, the black hands appear, take people's souls, then gather towards Hoho and the Homunculus.

The morning after. Hoho wakes up. By his foot, broken flask. Hoho walks around and calls out friends' name. Nobody answers.

"No use. Everyone's souls are taken. How is your body?"
Behind him, a person appears. His face is the same as Hoho's!!
Hoho: "Homunculus? What has happened??!! What do you mean by 'how is my body?'!!??"

Homunculus speaks to Hoho: "I used the information from your blood to make this vessel. Finally, I can walk with my own legs. As my appreciation for giving me your blood, I gave you a name, knowledge, and now the immortal body in return for all the souls of people in this nation... Well, I took half of them, though."

Inside Hohenheim, he hears numerous souls screaming for help. Hoho screams.

........Back to the current day.
Someone is calling Hoho's name. He was sleeping on the moving train, and the people who woke him up were Izumi and Sig. They seem to have met before. Now they learn that Hoho is father of Ed and Al, and Izumi is their Alchemy master.

While walking in the town together, Izumi coughs up blood. Hoho touches Izumi, and realizes something. Hoho sends off Sig to get a ride.

Alone with Izumi, Hoho asks Izumi: "You saw the Truth? What have you sacrificed in return?"
Izumi is reluctant to answer. Hoho tells her that he has some Xing's Medical knowledge. Izumi tells Hoho that she has lost part of her inner organs when tried to resurrect her child.

Hoho asks Izumi if she was visited by the military recently. Izumi tells that in the past, but she refused. Hoho seems relieved with that answer. "Excuse me." Hoho puts his hand inside Izumi's stomach. Izumi coughs up blood. Sig sees that and punches Hoho.

Izumi tells Sig: "I'm fine. I feel better." Sig: "He stabbed his hand inside you. Show me the wound." Izumi: "There is no wound."
Hoho: "The organs that had been lost can not be recovered, but I reorganized the inside so that she has better circulation of the blood now." "Mrs. izumi, you can not die yet."

Izumi is astounded, and asks Hoho his identity. Hoho: "A monster... no, I will tell you the truth... I am.. a Philosopher's Stone with a shape of human being, called Van Hohenheim."

Caption reads: The Philosophers Stone, what Ed and Al have chased, searched, and longed for. That is the identity of Hohenheim, the father of Ed and Al!!??

(End of chapter 75)

Done with the translations of the chapter 75 summary!!
Whew!!! What a chapter!!!! blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 01:13 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css